Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

mrslow wrote: »
    With your handbag no doubt!;)

Nope the voice I give out to recruits I am teaching when they do something stooooopid!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    I would say drop the 2 runs now mate.... give the foot a couple days rest.... With the marathon so close you gotta be looking after yourself.... I would even go as far to say if you are not feeling the 20 miler on Saturday put it off a couple of days....

Its important you get it in but a couple days at this stage won't make a difference to ur performance on the day! :)

If in doubt get it checked! It'll at least put your mind at rest that it won't reactivate during the race.

Nope the voice I give out to recruits I am teaching when they do something stooooopid!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

everything was going great with my 18.5 mile run last weekend until I felt my Achiles tighten with about a mile to go. Stopped and stretched it out and finished the run fine.

It has been feeling a bit niggly since then but not sore or anything. did a 6 mile recovery run on Monday night and took it handy. Again no pain or anything since but it niggles from time to time.

With this being such a big week and 20 planned on Saturday should I continue with my plan as normal (had planned for 8 tonight and tomorrow morning as I'm working till midnight) or should I maybe forget about the run in the morning and give it 2 days rest before saturday?

I'd get it looked at anyway when you get the chance. Achilles is very slow to heal if there is any problem with it so it's not really something I'd take a chance with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

I'd get it looked at anyway when you get the chance. Achilles is very slow to heal if there is any problem with it so it's not really something I'd take a chance with.

+1

January just gone- had a slight niggle in my achilles. Ignored it. Got me a case of tendonosis. Off running til late may. Physio told me had i gone to him with the niggle when it came on, id have been out for only a few days. Off to the physio with ya!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Fuk they tear the nipples of me after a while.... I am going for one of the compression t shirts as a last resort..... Nearly had B.N. syndrome after the half and they jus haven't been the same since ;););)

Ah lads....Toughen them up with some candle wax.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Fuk they tear the nipples of me after a while.... I am going for one of the compression t shirts as a last resort..... Nearly had B.N. syndrome after the half and they jus haven't been the same since ;););)
    I find spray-on-plaster great in this dept.

Never tried Candle Wax, sounds a bit kinky:D

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Funny ould game Saint-really struggled doing a 5 mile run on Monday, felt much better doing a ten mile run tonight. The countdown is really on now, thats the last 10 mile run in my schedule-this time 4 weeks it'll all be behind us!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sadiemac

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Funny ould game Saint-really struggled doing a 5 mile run on Monday, felt much better doing a ten mile run tonight. The countdown is really on now, thats the last 10 mile run in my schedule-this time 4 weeks it'll all be behind us!

Thats gas.... I wasn't that comfortable last night doing the five either. Tonights ten was really nice and easy. Strange game this running lark.... I've decided that this marathon business is a bit like being a kid at christmas when you're six or so, (10 weeks to go, 9 weeks to go, how many more sleeps????), I can't wait for it to arrive and even tho' I'm a novice, when it's over, I'll be over excited (if i still have a pulse) and yet, bereft.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

I'm the exact opposite, 5 miler was fine, yet I really struggled with my 10 mile last night. Couldn't get into any sort of rhythm, arms felt lead, everything that could hurt did and I kept getting stitches on both my left and right side. By the time I got home felt like a bus had after hitting me. Can't remember ever feeling so bad after a run.:(

The only thing that kept me going was the thought that after this week it's all down hill from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

sadiemac wrote: »
    Thats gas.... I wasn't that comfortable last night doing the five either. Tonights ten was really nice and easy. Strange game this running lark.... I've decided that this marathon business is a bit like being a kid at christmas when you're six or so, (10 weeks to go, 9 weeks to go, how many more sleeps????), I can't wait for it to arrive and even tho' I'm a novice, when it's over, I'll be over excited (if i still have a pulse) and yet, bereft.

the short runs are getting slower and seem looooong. bloody loved 10 mile last night - a whopping 20 mins faster than Frank Duffy race in Park! turns out, a basketball match, burger king and bottle and half of wine night before a morning race without breakfast hampers performance - who knew?

ps running is boring as feck. the endorphins that kick in at mile 3 trick us into thinking we're having a good time

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

I'm the exact opposite, 5 miler was fine, yet I really struggled with my 10 mile last night. Couldn't get into any sort of rhythm, arms felt lead, everything that could hurt did and I kept getting stitches on both my left and right side. By the time I got home felt like a bus had after hitting me. Can't remember ever feeling so bad after a run.:(

The only thing that kept me going was the thought that after this week it's all down hill from here.
    Lad GAGA wrote: »

I tell ye what I would much rather be on here saying I didn't enjoy my 5 or my 10 than having to sit on the sidelines with stupid manflu. Its so frustrating not being able to get out this week of all weeks. Did 5 on Monday and nothing since. Still clinging to some vain hope I'll get to do my 20 tomorrow, otherwise it'll have to wait til monday. :(

Was sore and stiff after Sunday evening's 20 so I dropped Tuesday's 5 mile. Really enjoyed last nights 10, 1 hr 30 flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Keep an eye on yourself over the next few days and make sure you're not coming down with anything. Lots of vitamin C and lots of sleep!

Keep an eye on yourself over the next few days and make sure you're not coming down with anything. Lots of vitamin C and lots of sleep!

+1 Young Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Cheers RK, but I think it was more of a case of running straight from work, without having much to eat during the day.

During the long evenings I'd got use to going home first and having something to eat and then setting out for my runs after 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Solution to that problem Wexican - Bring food to work and eat before you leave work and then when you get home, do your run.

That way, you've fuel in the engine and you're not eating too late and get the run done in plenty time for a good night's sleep.

Its what i do and works a treat. Don't be starving yourself, your body needs food and sleep to recover from marathon training.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Solution to that problem Wexican - Bring food to work and eat before you leave work and then when you get home, do your run.

That way, you've fuel in the engine and you're not eating too late and get the run done in plenty time for a good night's sleep.

Its what i do and works a treat. Don't be starving yourself, your body needs food and sleep to recover from marathon training.

You running Sat or Sun this week? Where do I get Arnica or Tiger gel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

In the chemist usually besides the deep heat.

Off to Cork on Sat morning to do Cork to Cobh 15 miler on Sunday morning.

Enjoy the 20 miles and once you've that done, you're on the downhill to the big day.

chinguetti wrote: »
    In the chemist usually besides the deep heat.

Off to Cork on Sat morning to do Cork to Cobh 15 miler on Sunday morning.

Enjoy the 20 miles and once you've that done, you're on the downhill to the big day.

20 miles done last Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Right, that's the last of my 3 x 5 milers done this week.....Strange, they were all done at 8 mins per mile through to 9:06 per mile and the joints were creaking a bit this morning! Nice bit of rest now until 20 on Saturday morning and then taper time.......:)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Right, that's the last of my 3 x 5 milers done this week.....Strange, they were all done at 8 mins per mile through to 9:06 per mile and the joints were creaking a bit this morning! Nice bit of rest now until 20 on Saturday morning and then taper time.......:)

Ahhh Taper..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

So a question for you all - if you couldn't do your last LSR this weekend, would doing a 20 miler next weekend be a bad idea, is it too close to the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RubyK wrote: »
    So a question for you all - if you couldn't do your last LSR this weekend, would doing a 20 miler next weekend be a bad idea, is it too close to the marathon?

you've done a 26 mile run and a 22 mile run already, haven't you? I think you'd get more benefit from tapering properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Where can I guy those High5 Gels that they use during the Dublin City Marathon? I want to try them out before the big day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Birroc wrote: »
    Where can I guy those High5 Gels that they use during the Dublin City Marathon? I want to try them out before the big day.

Cycling shops and running shops may have them, I don't know what you have locally.
    If you've been using a different kind of gel on your long runs so far, I'd say stick with them and bring your own on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

RayCun wrote: »
    you've done a 26 mile run and a 22 mile run already, haven't you? I think you'd get more benefit from tapering properly.

Thanks Ray, I guess you are right :)

Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo

Quiet here today!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

mrslow wrote: »
    Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo Echo

Quiet here today!:D

What's that?!
    I can't hear you over all of the tumbleweeds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

abrophy, not brophya, is also training for a marathon: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/health/2010/0928/1224279821615.html

Advertisement