Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I'm doing this Marathon in support of the Irish Canver Society but I'm only asking close friends and relatives for sponsorship.
    I have heard people say that they are hit each week with sponsorship requests so I don't want to impose on anyone I don't see on a regular basis.

On another note I have a little chuckle to myself everytime a stranger knocks on the door for Sponsorship. I haven't done this yet and probably won't but I would love a conversation to go like this;

Sponsor seeker: "Hi, would you sponsor me? I'm doing a sponsored Walk from point A to a very close by point B."
    James Howlett: (engages in a stare-down for a few moments) "Go do a Half-Marathon in under 90 minutes, bring back your blood-soaked runners, tear-filled eyes, sponsorship card... and a pen... and I'd be happy to sponsor you" :)

:D?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Guys, going by last year do you know if the bib number collection takes long on the Sunday before the marathon? planning on going to a show in the Olympia at 4pm to fill in some time for the afternoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

I'm doing this Marathon in support of the Irish Canver Society but I'm only asking close friends and relatives for sponsorship.
    I have heard people say that they are hit each week with sponsorship requests so I don't want to impose on anyone I don't see on a regular basis.

On another note I have a little chuckle to myself everytime a stranger knocks on the door for Sponsorship. I haven't done this yet and probably won't but I would love a conversation to go like this;

Sponsor seeker: "Hi, would you sponsor me? I'm doing a sponsored Walk from point A to a very close by point B."
    James Howlett: (engages in a stare-down for a few moments) "Go do a Half-Marathon in under 90 minutes, bring back your blood-soaked runners, tear-filled eyes, sponsorship card... and a pen... and I'd be happy to sponsor you" :)

:D?

Yeah myself I am doing it for breast cancer Ireland....I do feel like such an ass asking people to sponsor me like (given the times like) but I am trying to raise 4k and the only way I am going todo that is by going round to ppls houses like...

Like I was saying before I am looking to hold a fundraiser in maynooth on the 15th of October right.... Me and a few mates are getting our legs waxed (purely for aerodynamic purposes) :P..... If any of you guys would like to come along let me know! :)..... U can see some pre - marathon PAIN! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Me and a few mates are getting our legs waxed (purely for aerodynamic purposes) :P..... If any of you guys would like to come along let me know! :)..... U can see some pre - marathon PAIN! :D:D
    Gotta reduce that wind resistance somehow :)

Btw, in case anyone needs some new gear/shoes/etc - Elverys has a deal on running gear at the moment, 26.2% (:rolleyes:) off all running gear.

Birroc wrote: »
    Where can I guy those High5 Gels that they use during the Dublin City Marathon? I want to try them out before the big day.

They have the normal High5 gels in Health Matters in Grafton Street, as mentioned before try bike shops and running shops for the isotonic ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

They have the normal High5 gels in Health Matters in Grafton Street, as mentioned before try bike shops and running shops for the isotonic ones.

What does isotonic mean? And how are they better than normal gels?

Isotonic just means that they contain a similar mixture of salt and sugar to the human body. They're not better or worse, they're just different (they also tend to be easier to take without water) - and the gels given out last year on the DCM course were the isotonic ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

RayCun wrote: »
    Cycling shops and running shops may have them, I don't know what you have locally.
    If you've been using a different kind of gel on your long runs so far, I'd say stick with them and bring your own on the day.
    Carrying a min of 4packs is a bit of a bummer though...using the Powerbar gels Apple and Vanilla. Got a water belt to help knock them back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

jaytobe wrote: »
    Carrying a min of 4packs is a bit of a bummer though...using the Powerbar gels Apple and Vanilla. Got a water belt to help knock them back as well.

I use the same gels... I'd rather carry the gels and pick up water on the way than carry the water and pick up the gels. Water is water, and they're not going to run out...

jaytobe wrote: »

The apple ones are hard to stomach without water are they??? ****....i bought two varieties to try out this weekend and that was one of them... I don't carry water with me so that means water stops at the car.... right fair enuf so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 viewpost.gif Me and a few mates are getting our legs waxed (purely for aerodynamic purposes) tongue.gif..... If any of you guys would like to come along let me know! smile.gif..... U can see some pre - marathon PAIN! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I've had enough pre marathon pain already thanks!

mrslow wrote: »
    I've had enough pre marathon pain already thanks!

Ha.... you can jus observe.... will add to the fun :P

Ha.... you can jus observe.... will add to the fun :P

If you were getting a group of ladies together to wash cars in their undies I reckon I'd manage to attend, blokes and wax - nope.

Fair play to you though, great cause and your pain will be worthwhile.

If you were getting a group of ladies together to wash cars in their undies I reckon I'd manage to attend, blokes and wax - nope.

Fair play to you though, great cause and your pain will be worthwhile.

Hold on a second? This coming from the guy who thought I was a girl for the majority of the time I have been posting on this thread!!! Shame on u Mr Slow......SHAME! :p:p :p

Yeah its a good cause alri like and I hope to god the pain is worth it :P

Hold on a second? This coming from the guy who thought I was a girl for the majority of the time I have been posting on this thread!!! Shame on u Mr Slow......SHAME! :p:p :p

Yeah its a good cause alri like and I hope to god the pain is worth it :P

I never asked you to wash my car :P

Is there a route set for Sunday's 20mile LSR in the park?

I never asked you to wash my car :P

Well you coulda.....I might have done it!!1;);)

Specially for YOU SLOW!

Is there a route set for Sunday's 20mile LSR in the park?

I believe Chinqueti Set a route a few pages back... could be wrong there though

I have a 12 mile loop to the car for a water stop,we can free flow the rest, I'm finished at 16/17 but the Wexican has a Garmin so ye'll be covered.

Well you coulda.....I might have done it!!1;);)

Specially for YOU SLOW!

Easy there tiger.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I believe Chinqueti Set a route a few pages back... could be wrong there though

Yes i did and i feel i should charge for this. Really i should.

I might drive by ye in the Park tomorrow on my way to Cork. So i'll be the driver heckling at ye:D

You can't heckle me!! I will be looking all Purdy an stuff....i am telling ya...you jus ask Mr. Slow....

*Ithink he has a thing for me:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

You can't heckle me!! I will be looking all Purdy an stuff....i am telling ya...you jus ask Mr. Slow....

*Ithink he has a thing for me:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Whatever gets you through the night ;)

http://www.marathon-training-program.com/breaking-through-the-wall.html

Nothing we don't already know but no harm to refresh the mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

yes, I have printed off both routes and will carry them with me tomorrow. See you there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

menoscemo wrote: »
    yes, I have printed off both routes and will carry them with me tomorrow. See you there?

Sorry, thought you meant. Saturday!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Sorry, thought you meant. Saturday!

No worries, I have been doing my LSRs on sundays since June so I'm just gonna stick to that. Thanks anyway Dude.

For those of you seriously dedicated trainee marathoners who are sacrificing Saturday night out for your LSR, I applaud your commitment and will see you at 9am on Sunday morning at the Knockmaroon Gate of The Phoenix Park.

For those of you going out on Saturday, I hope Digger doesn't get ye lost!

• Advertisement

Mr. Slow I know this has been asked before but I never paid attention to the answer as it never applied to me but;

Is there parking at the Knockmaroon Gate?

Advertisement