Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Mr. Slow I know this has been asked before but I never paid attention to the answer as it never applied to me but;

Is there parking at the Knockmaroon Gate?

There's plenty http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Phoenix+Park,+Dublin,+Ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=35.357014,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Phoenix+Park,+County+Dublin+Corporation,+Ireland&ll=53.358645,-6.355419&spn=0.013011,0.038581&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.358575,-6.355549&panoid=ljg-IS5wAGNuIP-FTxinyw&cbp=12,59.29,,0,5 If not on the left as you come through then turn right and there's about 40 spaces in front of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yep its that time again!!! It's perkina3's daily question!! :D

Right basically.... I did my 20 miler on sunday last and since then I went for lovely 5 mile on tuesday and a hard and fast 4.2 mile yesterday (28.31). I wasn't feeling the 10 mile I had planned for myself and today I just feel drained...I really do and I am not feeling the 10 mile today either.... I am aiming to do a 15 - 17 miler tomorrow afternoon too....my question is really.....

Do I do both runs....Do I do anoher shorter run of 5 miles and the LSR tomorrow or do I just do the 17 miler or whatever it is....

Its the first time I have felt this tired in several months so I dunno what to think tbh...wud appreciate any guidance I could get on the issue.... I plan on a good sleep tonight which should buk me up a bit hopefully for 2moro!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Yep its that time again!!! It's perkina3's daily question!! :D

Right basically.... I did my 20 miler on sunday last and since then I went for lovely 5 mile on tuesday and a hard and fast 4.2 mile yesterday (28.31). I wasn't feeling the 10 mile I had planned for myself and today I just feel drained...I really do and I am not feeling the 10 mile today either.... I am aiming to do a 15 - 17 miler tomorrow afternoon too....my question is really.....

Do I do both runs....Do I do anoher shorter run of 5 miles and the LSR tomorrow or do I just do the 17 miler or whatever it is....

Its the first time I have felt this tired in several months so I dunno what to think tbh...wud appreciate any guidance I could get on the issue.... I plan on a good sleep tonight which should buk me up a bit hopefully for 2moro!

My understanding is at this stage the LSR is the critical one but if you're shattered you're not going to benefit from pushing through on it, sleep on it see how you feel and if needs be push it out a few days.

Well see the thing is I shudn't be tired tomorrow afternoon after a decent sleep tonight.... Jus wondering what I should do regarding the run toni....I mean I have a friend who is coming over and we were jus going to do it at a nice easy pace.... maybe in round 1.30 but..... maybe I will jus go for another 5/6 miler at a nice pace and then chill..... Not liking this feeling... tis the first time I have felt so exhausted in a long time

• Advertisement

Well see the thing is I shudn't be tired tomorrow afternoon after a decent sleep tonight.... Jus wondering what I should do regarding the run toni....I mean I have a friend who is coming over and we were jus going to do it at a nice easy pace.... maybe in round 1.30 but..... maybe I will jus go for another 5/6 miler at a nice pace and then chill..... Not liking this feeling... tis the first time I have felt so exhausted in a long time

If you're exhausted you need rest, I had to pull up last night and didn't like it one bit. We're approaching taper don't push yourself so hard that you fup all your other training. Drop tonight, rest eat well in the morning and go at a comfortable pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

From my perspective, was absolutely shattered after Wednesday nights 10 miler. Have done nothing for the past 2 nights apart from hitting the cot nice and early, and finally feel fine again, and feel like running again.

Long story short, if you're feeling exhausted just rest and recover. At this stage I don't think there's any benefit in wrecking yourself just to tick a box on the training plan.

My tuppence worth anyway

Thanks guys. I think what I am going to do is 5 miles tonight and leave it. I am doing this cuz I am running with a friend of mine who runs about 7/8 minutes slower than me over the same distance.

I think this means for me I get a few miles done without being tired and I don't feel so bad for not doing the 10 miles......

I will say it to them bout droping it altogether but considering they are travelling a fair distance just to run with me I will let them make the call.....

Tonight is going to be only the second 8 hours of sleep I will have gotten in a month! Usually work off bout 4/5!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tonight is going to be only the second 8 hours of sleep I will have gotten in a month! Usually work off bout 4/5!
    Embrace the sleep, your body needs it at this stage. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I hope someone has memorised Chinguetti's route for the Saturday group....

See you in the morning....

digger - The People's Front of Novice Marathon Mentored Threads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I hope someone has memorised Chinguetti's route for the Saturday group....

See you in the morning....

digger - The People's Front of Novice Marathon Mentored Threads

I've a good idea of it from last week and I think somebody else said earlier they have the map printed off. Sure what could go worng - worst case scenario we do a 50 mile lsr:pac:

See you tomorrow

Good Luck to anyone doing the Athlone 3/4 Marathon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Sorry guys I missed ye this morning. The alarm didn't wake me till 8.50 and I didn't have anyone's mobile except Mrslow. I hope you didn't wait too long and that the run went well.

Thanks to all 'The Saturdays' for an enjoyable 20 miler this morning...We can now enjoy a few well earned beers tonight whilst 'The Splitters' can only wish..........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

20 miles done in 3:32, found last 5 miles really difficult - my legs seized up and it was a real stuggle to finish - not really sure of the reason but just relieved to have it over with - bring on the taper!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Thanks to all 'The Saturdays' for an enjoyable 20 miler this morning...We can now enjoy a few well earned beers tonight whilst 'The Splitters' can only wish..........;)

Sipping an ice cold bottle of corona now :D Thanks for the company today.

I did my 20 last week and so did The Wexican, I've a weeks worth of beer on ya!;)

So what distance are the Sunday Crew up for tomorrow?
    This will be my last 20miler.

Having said that I only did 1 so far, my second was missed as it conflicted with the Half-Marathon, which I was in no condition to run the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Went for my LSR today and only got 14 in,did my 20 mile lsr last week.

Tiredness is kicking in I think, hopefully i've enough done.

Last 4 weeks lsr have been 18, HM, 20 and 14.

So what distance are the Sunday Crew up for tomorrow?
    This will be my last 20miler.

Having said that I only did 1 so far, my second was missed as it conflicted with the Half-Marathon, which I was in no condition to run the next day.

The Wexican and JEmily are going for 20/21, I'm bailing around the 15 mark - I feel a bit washed out tbh so we'll see how we go.

• Advertisement

sounds good.
    see you in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

2m done today, am feeling good, very nervous, but good. Rocky soundtrack was playing on today's run, i'm fired up ready to go, bring it on!!!

See all the splitters tomorrow...

Well!!!

I split from the splitters and the saturday group and did my own thing....I did 15 miles in 2 hrs 10 and felt ok....Think I had a bit of gas left in the tank and coulda done a sub 3 hour 20 mile if I had wanted to push on....

Lesson was learned from last week!!! had a good breakfast.... still think I need to maybe eat a bit more

Had 3 weetabix, 2Xtoast, orange juice and tea....The 8 hours sleep last night did me the world of good :)..... Though could do with a few more over the next few weeks... to really charge up the oul batteries....Well done to everyone who did the 20 today!!! Looking forward to seeing u guys all finish on the day :).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi guys, I've been following this thread from the start. Was away from boards for a bit but my ears were burning so I had to check in:D. An update on the gel experience- I think they are brill now, would totally recommend using them as the lift they gave my last year definately helped me get to the end.

Just wanted to wish ye all the best of luck. Last year Dublin was totally amazing for me. I will always be proud of running the race. I didnt get the time I wanted but managed to enjoy the experience. Im so jealous of ye all- wish I could be there with ye this year.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been following this thread from the start. Was away from boards for a bit but my ears were burning so I had to check in:D. An update on the gel experience- I think they are brill now, would totally recommend using them .

So you've got a taste for them now :eek:

Well, how did the LSR go? You got a fantastic morning for it!

Cold baths are a necessary evil.

Well, how did the LSR go? You got a fantastic morning for it!

Ha, just so happens i'm one of splitters and can update.

Yep, the weather was the best we could have asked for, sunny, bit of light wind and dry. Fab. We all done our run, myself and The Wexican done 21 miles in total. I'll let everyone else update you on theirs.

We done the 21 miles in 3H23M. I'm sooooo happy...no complaints with calf so that's a bonus. Feeling the mileage aches bit now, but the high from completing that session (calf) pain free makes up for it.

Thanks to The Wexican and MrSlow, you kept me going!!!

Cold baths are a necessary evil.

Just out of one, my god they are evil:eek:...i'm hoping it will pay off.

• Advertisement

JEmily wrote: »
    Ha, just so happens i'm one of splitters and can update.

We done the 21 miles in 3H23M. I'm sooooo happy...no complaints with calf so that's a bonus. Feeling the mileage aches bit now, but the high from completing that session (calf) pain free makes up for it.

Thanks to The Wexican and MrSlow, you kept me going!!!

Fantastic, great to hear all went well with the calf......:)

Advertisement