Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Comments
    William72|1|7.3|Second of my "holiday runs" had hoped to get 4 in but life got in the way. Back to business this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|1|5|Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training. :)|
    OI||||
    brophya2007|3|11|Did three runs in three days back to back and felt good. |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|2|14|Had a touch of the lazyitis but did 8 miles yesterday and delighted with it|
    michellemuncher|2|11|I got a wee cold at the beginning of last week so could not do the women's mini marathon. I will probably do another 10k instead. Managed an 8m run today, felt great. Cycled 30 miles.|
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|18.7|and started on the proper plan this morning...|
    littlebug|5|20.4|Got my mojo back:)|
    meathcountysec|4|16|Back in the saddle :D|
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|4|23|+1 circuit +1 squash. Injury free and loving it. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Similar mileage next week then less before the strawberry half on the 27th. Hopefully this should still cover all the bases for this training regime running the half instead of that weeks LSR|
    D Chief|2|9|Hard to get out last week with work, travel home, time with kids, Dubs on Sunday... Hope to get into it again this week and start on the 18 week plan next week.|
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52|4|23.5| Started with mini marathon last Monday, 49.10 so was happy enough with time. Did long run on Thurs and really felt it in my thighs, hopefully back to normal this week.
    Figmurphy|4|15| Finished week 3 of HH novice 1 plan, miles are building, but feeling good|
    ilovetorun|4|26| Had a good week overall, I had hoped to get 5 runs done but took Friday off as I felt tired. Good LSR of 8 miles on Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

William72|1|7.3|Second of my "holiday runs" had hoped to get 4 in but life got in the way. Back to business this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|1|5|Took it easy this week after Triathlon. Rest week waiting for the proper training. :)|
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|2|14|Had a touch of the lazyitis but did 8 miles yesterday and delighted with it|
    michellemuncher|2|11|I got a wee cold at the beginning of last week so could not do the women's mini marathon. I will probably do another 10k instead. Managed an 8m run today, felt great. Cycled 30 miles.|
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem|4|19|ok week. mini-marathon went well, but the rest of the week was easy runs|
    8ofSpades|4|23|+1 circuit +1 squash. Injury free and loving it. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Similar mileage next week then less before the strawberry half on the 27th. Hopefully this should still cover all the bases for this training regime running the half instead of that weeks LSR|
    D Chief|2|9|Hard to get out last week with work, travel home, time with kids, Dubs on Sunday... Hope to get into it again this week and start on the 18 week plan next week.|
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52|4|23.5| Started with mini marathon last Monday, 49.10 so was happy enough with time. Did long run on Thurs and really felt it in my thighs, hopefully back to normal this week.
    Figmurphy|4|15| Finished week 3 of HH novice 1 plan, miles are building, but feeling good|
    ilovetorun|4|26| Had a good week overall, I had hoped to get 5 runs done but took Friday off as I felt tired. Good LSR of 8 miles on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dublinrunner

DigiJem wrote: »
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner|0|0|have had 2 and half weeks off for no reason other than pure lack of motivation....ridiculous really...i will be posting more than this next week!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem|4|19|ok week. mini-marathon went well, but the rest of the week was easy runs|
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RallyRunner

Hi Guys,
    Hope there's room for one more newbie. Hoping to run DCM this year, and follow the Hal Higdon novie plan.

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    Ran a few 5 mile races last year, best time of 40 mins. This year have only ran a 10K back in April finished it in 57 mins.Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    I cycle to work every day, 5 mile trip. Getting out 3 times during the week, for about 4 miles. Try to get a longer run at the weekend, but that doesn't always happen....What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream time would be 3:59:99, but anything around 4:30 and i'd nearly do a lap of honour.How many days a week can you train?
    5 days a week. Plan to follow the Hal Higdon novice schedule.
    Why are you running this marathon?
    It's something I've always aspired to, but could never commit to the training. This year I have a very personal reason for taking this on, and motivation will not be a problem. Now all I have to do is stay injury free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The more the merrier! Good luck in the training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭8ofSpades

Can I throw in a discussion topic?
    I know it may have been discussed in other threads but would like to put peoples views in to this one as well
    as everyone on this thread is probably a complete noob when it comes to running.

Nutrition:

What kind of foods should I be eating / avoiding?
    Apart from avoiding possibly obvious choices like pizza, chips, burgers etc what else do people recommend
    to avoid?

I hear food terminology such as carbs, proteins etc
    But in laymans terms what foodstuff is good for carb intake or is full of protein etc.

People also recommend carb loading before a race.
    What is this exactly and how much and how soon before a race should I be doing this.

The more information the better as I'm sure it extends way beyond my few points above.
    And while everyone's needs may be different I'm sure a general outline of what to do would be beneficial.

Avoid all the stuff you already know is unhealthy :)

(stuff I read in The Runner's Handbook- )
    There are two sources of energy you use when you're running, carbs and fat. Carbs are much easier for your body to process as energy, and the energy is stored directly in your muscles, which is good. As you run, this energy in your musles is depleted. Part of what you're doing on long runs is teaching your body to get better at burning some fat too, when it's needed. (Energy gels have a lot of carbs in them, which is why they're used on long runs)

Carb loading means eating more carb sources in the day or two before a race, to make sure that the energy stores in your muscles are full. The best time is lunchtime the day before the race (if the race is in the morning), so all us novices should meet up for a pasta lunch on October 24th)

It's also a good idea to get some carbs into you very soon after a run.

Here's a list of complex carbohydrate sources - pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, that kind of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

After a particularly long or Tough run (e.g a race), the Glycogen stores in your muscles and liver will be depleted and your muscles damaged. It is therefore important to consume some quick release carbs (to replace Glycogen) and protein (to repair damaged muscle). Doing this immediately (within 15 minutes-half an hour is recommended) after your run will aid your bodies recovery and reduce DOMs and Stiffness. Eating something like a ham sandwich straight after your run would be ideal. However the good news is that at this stage something sugary is fine. What has been particularly recommended by some of the top runners in this forum is chocolate milk (e.g Yazoo or Mars Recovery drink) they have the perfect post race ration of 4:1 carbs: protein and more importantly are delicious :D.

I have been taking these immediately after my tough sessions/races for the last few months and feel amazingly fresh the next day. However, don't do this after every small run, just very long or tough ones (e.g tempo sessions, races, long LSR's) where you have really pushed you body to it's limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

DigiJem wrote: »
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner|0|0|have had 2 and half weeks off for no reason other than pure lack of motivation....ridiculous really...i will be posting more than this next week!|
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    Dave_||||
    curraghyid|4|19|back after injury lsr 7m went well getting better at slow pace first week of hh novice starts proper this week|
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nutrition is not exactly my strong point, but I'll have a go. :)
    8ofSpades wrote: »
    What kind of foods should I be eating / avoiding?
    Apart from avoiding possibly obvious choices like pizza, chips, burgers etc what else do people recommend
    to avoid?
    There are no absolutes really in terms of what you should avoid - though if you know that there is some food that causes you GI issues when running then it's probably best to avoid it. Try and keep your diet as healthy as possible - lots of veg, wholegrains, lean meat etc. It's also useful to find out what works for you as a good breakfast before long runs.

You should probably look too at reducing your alcohol intake as training progresses, long runs with a hangover are not fun at all, plus alcohol dehydrates you quite badly.
    I hear food terminology such as carbs, proteins etc
    But in laymans terms what foodstuff is good for carb intake or is full of protein etc.
    RayCun's given a good list of complex carbohydrates. Protein generally comes from lean meat, beans, nuts, soya products, eggs etc. A runner's diet is naturally going to be higher in carbs than that of most people over in the Fitness forum, but don't neglect protein and "good" fats (oily fish, avocados, coconut, peanut butter etc) either.
    People also recommend carb loading before a race.
    What is this exactly and how much and how soon before a race should I be doing this.
    Carb loading just means increasing the amount of carbohydrates in your diet in the days before the race. The idea of a pasta lunch the day before it is pretty good actually :)

My 2c on the issue - A big change in diet in the days before any race can unsettle your stomach. Unfortunately I found this out the hard way at my most recent 10k. :(:mad:
    I would suggest that you just try to increase the amount of carbohydrates in your normal diet and don't go out of your way to cut anything out. Feel free to disagree with me on this one though, just my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

I hear food terminology such as carbs, proteins etc But in laymans terms what foodstuff is good for carb intake or is full of protein etc.

I have been taking running seriously for about a year now and have learned so much but it takes time to fully understand everything. Carbohydrates come in 2 forms; Starch/Complex (cereals, pasta, potatoes) and Sugar/Simple (deserts, fruits, sports drink). Then the body converts these to glucose which is stored throughout the body if it is not needed straight away. A light carb-rich meal like fruit and yoghurt is ideal before a run but should be eaten at least 2 hours before so it is fully digested. During a long or intense run, a lot of people take simple easily digestible carbs in the form of a sports drink or gels. And then after a run eat a carb/protein mix like a sports bar or beans on toast. And later on for a good proper dinner, I personally love my pasta and potatoes for carbs and Quorn, beans and lentils for protein. Proteins are made up of amino acids and some are essential because the body cannot make them. Meat and dairy products contain all the essential amino acids. As a vegetarian I find Quinoa great as it contains a high percentage of carbs and nearly all the essential amino acids.

Here is a link for general nutritional info.
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09362.html

And for a really good article on the sciencey bit (lots of bits) which I got from one of the links Raycun linked to. I thought it was so informative it was worth posting again in case anyone missed it.
    http://www.marathonandbeyond.com/choices/latta.htm

Oh and bananas, if you don't love them now, you will when the marathon is over!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Hey all,

I've decided to start the programme this week so that there is a contingency week in case of injury/unforseen circumstances etc.

Onto the weekend - i presume it's fine to interchange lsr and cross training days?

With regards cross training is it ok to do a short slow run as cross training - another 3 miles for example?

Or would I be better going to the gym, was thinking of doing 10 mins of exercise bike, rowing and cross trainer and then building up over the weeks.

It's fine at this stage to do a short, easy run (I wouldn't really suggest more than 30 minutes though, you want this to be an easy, relatively relaxing day) - but as things go on you may want to get off your feet on your cross-training day and do something lower-impact such as a cycle, swim or using the cardio machines at the gym.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Hello all,

Sorry for the late addition, I have only just discovered this thread.
    Allow me to...
    • Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    I have been doing different races on and off for years.
    My PB would be last the 2009 Great Ireland Run with 43:24.
    I had hoped to beat that with the December 2009 Aware 10k... I did finish that 9k race with 36minutes if I remember correctly but i won't count it as it wasn't the full 10k.
    • Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    No sir.
    • How much training do you currently do? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant
    Currently it has not been great, once, twice a week if lucky.
    2010 has been a bad year but I'm getting ready as I want this.
    • What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time?
    Dream: Under 3 hours. Even 2:59:59 would do:)
    (I know this isn't achievable with my first marathon so it's more of a long-term dream time).
    Realistic: No idea. I can push myself pretty hard but don't want to end up training for 4 months and sitting it out due to injury.
    • How many days a week can you train?
    I'll make time to fit in whatever is necessary, before or after work.
    • Why are you running this marathon?
    Two reasons:
    My Mother-in-Law passed away this year from Cancer so I will also be doing it for her in aid of the Irish Cancer Society.

I also enjoy running quite a lot and I have always seen completing a marathon as a worthwhile life achievement.

Another week down - week 1 of the program for some of you! How did you get on?
    William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||| |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

And in terms of the plan:

Week 1
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m run|3 m with 3*100m strides|3 m run|rest|cross|6 m

Week 2
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|3 m|3 m with 3*100m strides|3 m|rest|cross|7 m

Still nothing too hectic, but there is a long way to go!

My discussion topic for this week: Bad running days. How do you handle them? Do you let them get to you, or just forget about them and move on?

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||| |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    RayCun|4|20.3|first week down, 18 to go...|
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

Part of the reason why I started keeping a training log on here was that writing things down can help you forget things - when you know there's a record kept somewhere, it gives your brain permission to forget. So I think about the run for a couple of minutes when I'm updating, and then I can move on. But, thre record is also there for me to look back at later and maybe see patterns that I could learn from.
    But in general - remember the good runs, remember getting through the bad runs...

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007||| |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|3|16|+1 Circuit. Ran my final LSR before the strawberry half this sunday. 8 miles in 01:23:00. Cons: Based on that my sub 2hr prediction for the half looks like a pipe dream but I tried even if I was keeping it slow and steady I was still knackered after it. Pros: That was saturday morning and I had run the previous night also, plus there will be pacers so I'm not going down without a fight next Sunday|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

I dont let bad sessions get to me for too long.
    Probably stay p***ed for the evening or a few hours and try to analyse where it all went wrong.
    After that I let it slide.
    I try not to dwell on the past too long for all things in life.
    Whats done is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007|4|17.63|LSR of 6 miles in 59 minutes, was feeling it doing the last mile, it's the longest I've run in a while. Only 18 weeks to go :-) |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|3|16|+1 Circuit. Ran my final LSR before the strawberry half this sunday. 8 miles in 01:23:00. Cons: Based on that my sub 2hr prediction for the half looks like a pipe dream but I tried even if I was keeping it slow and steady I was still knackered after it. Pros: That was saturday morning and I had run the previous night also, plus there will be pacers so I'm not going down without a fight next Sunday|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

When I have a bad run I feel really angry and doubt myself and dread the next run. But if that's a good run the previous one is forgotten about.

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    brophya2007|4|17.63|LSR of 6 miles in 59 minutes, was feeling it doing the last mile, it's the longest I've run in a while. Only 18 weeks to go :-) |
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|3|16|+1 Circuit. Ran my final LSR before the strawberry half this sunday. 8 miles in 01:23:00. Cons: Based on that my sub 2hr prediction for the half looks like a pipe dream but I was tired even if I was keeping it slow and steady I was still knackered after it. Pros: That was saturday morning and I had run the previous night also, plus there will be pacers so I'm not going down without a fight next Sunday|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    littlebug|4|19.2|Happy with this week|
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    8ofSpades|3|16|+1 Circuit. Ran my final LSR before the strawberry half this sunday. 8 miles in 01:23:00. Cons: Based on that my sub 2hr prediction for the half looks like a pipe dream but I was tired even if I was keeping it slow and steady I was still knackered after it. Pros: That was saturday morning and I had run the previous night also, plus there will be pacers so I'm not going down without a fight next Sunday|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

I don't have bad days - I have bad weeks :( which makes it very hard to stay motivated. On the bad weeks I push myself to do things like go for a run on my favourite routes and enjoy the view or whatever so the psychological impact of a bad run is reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭boccy23

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|4|17.5|Great to have it started. The plan makes it easier to get out and do it!|
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun||||
    James Howlett||||

Bad runs are not too often. I try and push through when doing it and suffer later!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

William72||||
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    boccy23|4|17.5|Great to have it started. The plan makes it easier to get out and do it!|
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|Delighted with this week,really enjoyed getting out in the good weather,going for a sports massage tomorrow just to keep ontop of things|
    James Howlett||||

I am very tough on myself when I do a bad run, I try to forget about it and look forward to improving on my next run but this doesn't always happen so then I start to doubt myself and question will I really be able to run a marathon in October. I sometimes run with my other half and he is brilliant for support and encouragement so that really helps

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

William72|4|15.5|On the plus side great to have started the program and got 4 sessions in for the first time in weeks. On the negative side - did all 4 runs at unusual times for me so found the heat to be quite draining. Look forward to getting back to early mornings/late evenings this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    ilovetorun|5|32|Delighted with this week,really enjoyed getting out in the good weather,going for a sports massage tomorrow just to keep ontop of things|
    James Howlett||||

Tend not to dwell too much on bad runs to be honest - maybe I'm still so new to this that I'm just glad to get the req'd distance finished :) Also whenever I have a bad one I know the next one (or the one after that) will restore my faith in the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

William72|4|15.5|On the plus side great to have started the program and got 4 sessions in for the first time in weeks. On the negative side - did all 4 runs at unusual times for me so found the heat to be quite draining. Look forward to getting back to early mornings/late evenings this week|
    wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    meathcountysec|4|24.12|A good week. Still not getting the 5th run in though|
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

Tend not to think too much about past runs. Sometimes let the "enormity" of the current one get to me though and defeat myself before I get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    beamgirl|3|18|6+3+9 finally getting some long runs in|
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

With bad runs I always try and finish them I have a fear that if I stop then the next race/run i'll stop too, even they're finished at a snails pace I always try and finish

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

I totally agree with you Beamgirl, the worst mistake I ever made was stopping during a hard 10km race (still not sure why though) it really dented my confidence. So since then I have learnt to keep running even if I'm barely moving!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rofno1

wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|8|Holidays over now:( so time to get with the programme, starting with 3 miles tomorrow!:)|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem||||
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

wicklowwonder||||
    rofno1|2|8|Holidays over now:( so time to get with the programme, starting with 3 miles tomorrow!:)|
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem|4|17|Nice week of late evening running in the sun.|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

Bad runs, I try to move on, checking back on my training logs always works, just to remind myself how many good runs I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

DigiJem;66518814]Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Comments
    wicklowwonder||||
    pab_lowe||||
    elvis jones||||
    OI||||
    dublinrunner||||
    southofnowhere||||
    robandpatrice||||
    dothehustle||||
    michellemuncher||||
    Dave_||||
    DigiJem|4|17|Nice week of late evening running in the sun.|
    D Chief||||
    curraghyid||||
    digger2d2|4|20.5| enjoyable week, have set my marathon pace at 8:45 a mile so lsr was done this week at 9;12, 2 'cross' sessions done as well|
    la calera||||
    Shazkea||||
    Curl52||||
    Figmurphy||||
    James Howlett||||

Advertisement