Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|2|25.2|285.4|2nd 20 miler done :D|
    The Wexican|4|40|328|21 mile LSR done on Sunday, now for the magic of the taper to kick in|
    rofno1|2|10|261|20 mile LSR will have to wait til this week!|
    boccy23|3|30|343|20 mile LSR was split by the massive showers yesterday but finished it off eventually. Missed a session due to work as well.|
    brophya2007|3|35|379.4|Feeling sluggish this week.|
    beamgirl|||274||
    michellemuncher|3|29|258|I didn't do as much as I would have liked, didn't want to push it too much after being sick. Anyway, got in my 20 mile run which went very well except for getting a blood blister. Did it in 3:38|
    RayCun|4|39|467.1|Last 20 down, it's taper time|
    littlebug| 4|40|373.2|very happy with 20 miler and equally happy to be into taper time!|
    meathcountysec|3|30.43|536.63|20 miler done|
    DigiJem|4|39|314|Good week, very happy to get the 20 done|
    D Chief|4|40|323|Did 21 miles on Saturday. Found it very tough towards the end.|
    digger2d2|4|36|428|Was stiff (easy JEmily) after the 20 mile yesterday but fine today....|
    Curl52|3|32|464|Delighted to get my LSR of 20miles done, I did find it tough though, gave myself a hard route so would not have said no to a lift at 18mile mark but got through it|
    ilovetorun |4|36|340|Delighted to have the last 20m done,cant believe we're all nearly there. Roll on the taper!|
    James Howlett|4|41|418|2nd 20mile LSR done... fear and doubt are my new bff(s)|
    RallyRunner|3|35|381.1|Happy to have got the 20 miles done (my only one). Found it a struggle at the end|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|4|41|393|So good to get a 21 mile run in. I ran it in 3hrs 2 minutes I felt great until the last mile so I'll have to look at one extra get in on the day|
    RubyK|5|28.9|473.54|A bad week for me, with no LSR done. I'm not ready to taper :eek:|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||27|245|I'm back and am feeling very good. Only thing about a week off is my taper will seem like work, so happy days for me, the rest of you are going to go mad:p|
    Mrslow|3|33|278.8|Roll on taper, can't believe it's only three weeks to go|
    marrona|4|40.23|433.72|great run x 4 incl. first and only 20miles (only 75% of the distance! :eek:)|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop|||||
    nachoqueen|||||
    Lad GAGA|4|40|c466|Last of the long runs, we're nearly there (yet)|
    BrokenMan|5 |42.75|585.64|All the hard work done :) (I hope)|
    Perkina3|3|31| 500| 15 miler was nice this week... I cut 5 mins off my time and I reckon that I coulda done 20 miles in a sub 3 hour time....Maybe round 2:55 - 2:57 which I was chuffed bout that... nice chilled out recovery run and then a hard and fast 4.2 mile in 28.5 mins. Problem was felt exhausted in the days leading up to my LSR so I am a bit worried bout exhaustion frown.gif|

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

mrslow wrote: »
    Ah.....No! I normally quote Higdon and other stalwarts so it should be an honour I mis-quoted you! ;)

Fixed your post for you :P

I humbly accept the honour in the spirit in which it was intended;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I'm on the ground, dizzy, empty, distraught, above me I see two blue knee bandages pumping like pistons moving quickly away from me, followed closely by the nauseating smell of Brandy 'n' Baileys as the Cill Dara Mara woman hops by on the good leg, pausing only to steal my vest, leaving me with nothing but my disappointment and the body of a twenty year old......;)

A twenty year old banana!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

A twenty year old banana!

:D...Yeh, but it's a Fyffes....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Sick people.... everywhere :(

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »

They should have bells to ring when approaching so that we can run away.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

littlebug wrote: »

I've had quite a few clients at work sick this week and last. I hope they don't notice as I try to keep as far away from them as possible while also listening intently ;)

Blueskye wrote: »
    I've had quite a few clients at work sick this week and last. I hope they don't notice as I try to keep as far away from them as possible while also listening intently ;)

I went into my local Boots seeking Fosfor and the woman behind the counter said ' we don't have that here' like I had asked for Methedone :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago Rainbow Kirby asked how our targets for the race had changed as we progressed through training, at the time my confidence was up but if asked now my whole perception has changed, I'm now looking at it as the longest Fun Run I'll ever take part in.

What about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

What about you?
    Thinking I'm going to savour every delicious minute if I make it to the start line. *sigh*

• Advertisement

Thinking I'm going to savour every delicious minute if I make it to the start line. *sigh*

What's the latest?

What's the latest?

Heading back to the physio tomorrow evening for more dry needling. Currently not allowed to run, but did a decent session of strengthening exercises and core work this evening when I got home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Heading back to the physio tomorrow evening for more dry needling. Currently not allowed to run, but did a decent session of strengthening exercises and core work this evening when I got home from work.

I particularly like the 'got home from work' part of that :) Hope all is going well job-wise even though the body isn't agreeing with you at the moment!

xebec wrote: »
    I particularly like the 'got home from work' part of that :) Hope all is going well job-wise even though the body isn't agreeing with you at the moment!

Just started the job there on Monday - it's going alright so far, but it's hard to tell from a few days of training what it's going to turn out like. The people seem nice though, quite a diverse crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭nachoqueen

guys im not able to do dublin im afraid, was just in with the physio, i had a femur microfracture skiing injury that has pulled on my back, i could do dublin in a lot of pain and a poor time .. but thats not really my bag,baby

so im gonna come back fitter and stronger and aim for the west cork marathon in december

Just want to wish you all best of luck, i think you are all going to smash your times, dont underestimate your abilities

Thanks for all the friendlyness and support, especially jemily, mrslow, digger, jcsmum

Its been a hoot

Babs / nachoqueen xx

So sorry to hear that :(

Look after yourself now, and come back stronger than ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

What about you?

I'm looking on it as an Extra Long Slow Run with friends;;;:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sorry to hear that nachoqueen, I'm sure you'll come back strong for west cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

nachoqueen wrote: »
    guys im not able to do dublin im afraid, was just in with the physio, i had a femur microfracture skiing injury that has pulled on my back, i could do dublin in a lot of pain and a poor time .. but thats not really my bag,baby

so im gonna come back fitter and stronger and aim for the west cork marathon in december

Just want to wish you all best of luck, i think you are all going to smash your times, dont underestimate your abilities

Thanks for all the friendlyness and support, especially jemily, mrslow, digger, jcsmum

Its been a hoot

Babs / nachoqueen xx

I know your doing the right thing but i feel your pain, you must be gutted. But in fairness December isn't far away at all is it, that will fly! I didn't relaise that race was so close too.

Come back and smash every time you wish for as by December you'll be fighting fit.

Will miss you on the day...i'll run my last agony miles on the day in respect to the NachoQueen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Its been a hoot

Babs / nachoqueen xx

B, am so gutted to hear that. There was me this morning feeling sorry for myself because I have a minor head cold. I need to get some perspective!
    Take care of yourself and delighted to hear that you have another marathon goal in mind. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Sorry to hear that nachoqueen.... :(

Yeah I have gotten some good and bad news...... Bad news.... Hamstrings have shortened up a bit meaning from mile 15 to finish its going to be absolute agony but sure fuk it.... Also I am going to shannon on Sunday for 3 weeks with work which is not ideal for my taper :(...

Good news.... found a good physio who is going to work on my hamstrings and calves and I also ran a 10km race in the pheno yesterday.... Ran 7km comfortably with a mate of mine but 3km to go they saw I was chomping at the bit and I was told to go and finish as fast I could.....From running a 48 minute 10km with 3 to go I cut it to 45.28 which means I could realistically run a sub 45 10km already!!! I am DELIGHTED! :)

So when are you guys going to the expo??? I am thinking of popping over for an hour or two on sunday!!! inbetween carb loading :P

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that nachoqueen.... :(

Yeah I have gotten some good and bad news...... Bad news.... Hamstrings have shortened up a bit meaning from mile 15 to finish its going to be absolute agony but sure fuk it.... Also I am going to shannon on Sunday for 3 weeks with work which is not ideal for my taper :(...

Good news.... found a good physio who is going to work on my hamstrings and calves and I also ran a 10km race in the pheno yesterday.... Ran 7km comfortably with a mate of mine but 3km to go they saw I was chomping at the bit and I was told to go and finish as fast I could.....From running a 48 minute 10km with 3 to go I cut it to 45.28 which means I could realistically run a sub 45 10km already!!! I am DELIGHTED! :)

So when are you guys going to the expo??? I am thinking of popping over for an hour or two on sunday!!! inbetween carb loading :P

Don't panic, if the physio works our your hamstrings correctly, you should be brand new for DCM, great time on the 10K

I am gutted for you B, would you come in for a post race pint? I understand if you'd be too p*ssed about not running but you're part of the gang and would be missed.

Woooo bought new runners for the marathon!! :)..... My bank balance will neever be the same :eek::eek::eek:

Woooo bought new runners for the marathon!! :)..... My bank balance will neever be the same :eek::eek::eek:

You'd want to start breaking them in yesterday!

Yeah I have a nice easy 5 miler today and anothe tomorrow and the 12 on sunday....

Was talkin to your man...apparently I was fukin my feet up running in the Kayano's cuz I was using orthotics..... he laughed when he say them was like jeez you are doing more damage than ur fixing....

So I am going to use the kayano's less the orthotics for 4/5 mile runs and the new brook neutrals I got for the longer runs ...CAN'T WAIT! :D

Yeah I have a nice easy 5 miler today and anothe tomorrow and the 12 on sunday....

Was talkin to your man...apparently I was fukin my feet up running in the Kayano's cuz I was using orthotics..... he laughed when he say them was like jeez you are doing more damage than ur fixing....

So I am going to use the kayano's less the orthotics for 4/5 mile runs and the new brook neutrals I got for the longer runs ...CAN'T WAIT! :D

That's a lot of changes so close to the race, have you had gait analysis done?

Yeah...thats why I had to change....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Wear the shoes as much as possible, even just walking around if you can. It's very late to be making drastic changes to your footwear at this stage.

Its true the old shoes and orthotics were puttng your feet out of line but they are kind of used to it at this stage and there will be different strains being put on the muscles further up your legs now than before.

• Advertisement

Ya I know I know.... its silly but I am going to put about 50 miles into these shoes at least before the marathon..... Worst comes to worst then I am going to go back to the Kayano's..

The problem was it was beginning to cause me a great deal of pain on my right instep.... so I felt a change was needed even at this late stage!

Advertisement