Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Wear the shoes as much as possible, even just walking around if you can. It's very late to be making drastic changes to your footwear at this stage.

Its true the old shoes and orthotics were puttng your feet out of line but they are kind of used to it at this stage and there will be different strains being put on the muscles further up your legs now than before.

That's what happened JEmily, she was put in the perfect runner for her but her legs had become used to the older ones, her calf pain and restricted training have been the result. Be careful Dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yeah that is something I am going to keep an eye on alri....going to try a few short runs and if it doesn't feel right I will go back to the Kayano's!

At a time you'd imagine the place would be filled with chatter, there's no - one about.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Woooo bought new runners for the marathon!! :)..... My bank balance will neever be the same :eek::eek::eek:

I don't want to put dampner on your new runners, but please do not change runners so close to DCM:eek:. I changed mine from Kayano's to Brooks about 4 weeks ago. I've severly damaged both calfs with strain as the changes were too much too soon. I walked in mine, done short runs etc., but i didn't break them in slow/long enough imo. I'd strongly advise at least a month breaking them in;).

There is no way i'd run a marathon in runners i'd bought with 3 weeks to go.

DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKES I DID:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'm so sorry your out of DCM nachoqueen. You must be gutted. But, at least all your hard work won't be wasted, Clonakilty is only around the corner. Look after yourself.

• Advertisement

Ah I will go out in them tonight and see how they feel.... I will go nice and handy! Just want to see what they feel like...if I feel anything I am stopping straight away

Just with the Kayano;s I am getting a lot of problems with my right instep atm so I mean it can do no worse than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Heading back to the physio tomorrow evening for more dry needling. Currently not allowed to run, but did a decent session of strengthening exercises and core work this evening when I got home from work.

You mean that's both of us off the live register spending RayCun's tax dollars....;);)

nachoqueen wrote: »
    guys im not able to do dublin im afraid,
    Thanks for all the friendlyness and support, especially jemily, mrslow, digger, jcsmum

Its been a hoot

Babs / nachoqueen xx

Ah, that's a shame.....If you have the time come in a meet us all for pints afterwards...I'll even make an exception and discard the vest so your image remains as lofty as it is...:)

On the question of new shoes (I hear Paolo Nutini ringing in my ears)...I just bought a new pair today...Don't fret JEmily, they are the same as my last ones...Meno....That's number 2 for me...Still have some way to go to catch up with your collection!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

nachoqueen wrote: »
    guys im not able to do dublin im afraid, was just in with the physio, i had a femur microfracture skiing injury that has pulled on my back, i could do dublin in a lot of pain and a poor time .. but thats not really my bag,baby

so im gonna come back fitter and stronger and aim for the west cork marathon in december

Just want to wish you all best of luck, i think you are all going to smash your times, dont underestimate your abilities

Thanks for all the friendlyness and support, especially jemily, mrslow, digger, jcsmum

Its been a hoot

Babs / nachoqueen xx

So sorry to hear that nacho. Best of luck in cork, it's only 8 weeks away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

So when are you guys going to the expo??? I am thinking of popping over for an hour or two on sunday!!! inbetween carb loading :P

Saturday for me, I refuse to deal with trying to get two buses on the Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

Very sorry to hear you have to pull out Nachoqueen :( And you have been so dedicated. But the effort wont be wasted, good luck in the Dec marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

so, who's up for a 13-miler on sunday morning? Chinguetti was in I think. Looking forward to it as have had a crap week running-wise so will be good to get out there and prove there's still something in the legs....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Wexican

Running the BHAA XC in Castleknock College Saturday morning, so assuming I come out that unscathed I will be there Sunday morning

Looks like it's going to be a good weekend weather wise for running as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Sunday at 9am at Knockmaroon gate for those who are around is still ok for me.

Myself, Grimbergen and The Wexican so far and its the same route of a first lap of 10.5 or so around the Park from a couple of weeks ago (down Acres, up Kyber, the back of the zoo and so forth) and then down the Glen to make the 13.1.

I think Saturday the Park fairly busy as its semi closed with the Simon run and the cross country in Castleknock College for those who are thinking of Saturday in case you don't know.

See ya then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

grimbergen wrote: »
    so, who's up for a 13-miler on sunday morning? Chinguetti was in I think. Looking forward to it as have had a crap week running-wise so will be good to get out there and prove there's still something in the legs....

I'll probably be there (provided the hangover isn't too bad). I'll be looking to do a 16.

Still drinking this close to the marathon?? MAD MAN!! I have had 2 pints since the hald and thats it like....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

so i practised telling people that i was doing the marathon. responses included "but when do you train, you're always out" and "i thought marathon runners don't drink?". had last beers last night. gonna give up from this weekend. im no caitriona mckiernan like, not gonna abstain so can knock a few mins off the 5 hour bracket :p

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Still drinking this close to the marathon?? MAD MAN!! I have had 2 pints since the hald and thats it like....

Hell yeah, had half bottle of wine last night. Brandy and Baileys every weekend...hasn't done me any harm;) Will be having a few BnB's tomorrow night also!!!

Imagine how quick i'd be without the drink, God i'd be lightening, ha:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I gave up booze last year for 4 weeks before the marathon and it didn't make a difference. This year i am determined to enjoy myself, do all my training and still have a few pints. As Long as you don't run the marathon with a hangover, I can't imagine it does you any harm :cool:

• Advertisement

sometimes I get urges to run really fast when I'm drunk. maybe we could meet for a few before the race?

menoscemo wrote: »
    I gave up booze last year for 4 weeks before the marathon and it didn't make a difference. This year i am determined to enjoy myself, do all my training and still have a few pints. As Long as you don't run the marathon with a hangover, I can't imagine it does you any harm :cool:

Yeh...I've decided to give up Guinness during the actual race...Strangely enough this is spurring me on to run sub 4 :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

chinguetti wrote: »

Myself, Grimbergen and The Wexican so far and its the same route of a first lap of 10.5 or so around the Park from a couple of weeks ago (down Acres, up Kyber, the back of the zoo and so forth) and then down the Glen to make the 13.1.

I think Saturday the Park fairly busy as its semi closed with the Simon run and the cross country in Castleknock College for those who are thinking of Saturday in case you don't know.

See ya then.

Myself and mrslow are both on for Sunday too... Tried coming up with something different for a route but gmaps didn't save it properly. My plan is for 18-20, but as usual I should have about 4 done by the time I meet you guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

I bumped into LadGaga on my run last night and we were thinking of doing a 12 mile run along the sea front from Fairview to Baldoyle on Saturday. The weather should be nice and it would be a nice change of scene. It might be an option for those that want to keep Sunday free.

chinguetti wrote: »

See ya then.

Looking forward to the last LSR before the longest LSR, see ya'll Sunday 9am! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

mrslow wrote: »
    Looking forward to the last LSR before the longest LSR, see ya'll Sunday 9am! :D

haha, took me a minute to get that :)

Right...I'm off to do my 12 mile in ten minutes time and then I'm free to sit and watch the match later accompanied by Arthur's finest...:)

JEmily wrote: »
    Hell yeah, had half bottle of wine last night. Brandy and Baileys every weekend...hasn't done me any harm;) Will be having a few BnB's tomorrow night also!!!

Imagine how quick i'd be without the drink, God i'd be lightening, ha:p

this brandy and Bailey's? is it together? in the one glass? like a giant baby Guinness?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I may or may not be in the park at a later time doing a err...short run if anyone wants to join me for that. If not, I'll be on my bike at around 9 so can carry water/gels if anyone wants me to, I can throw stuff in a bag and carry that on the bike, once you feckers keep out of my cycle lane this time. :mad:

Raycun and chinguetti I'm glaring at my screen thinking especially of you two. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

I may or may not be in the park at a later time doing a err...short run if anyone wants to join me for that. If not, I'll be on my bike at around 9 so can carry water/gels if anyone wants me to, I can throw stuff in a bag and carry that on the bike, once you feckers keep out of my cycle lane this time. :mad:

Raycun and chinguetti I'm glaring at my screen thinking especially of you two. :pac:

Right, so when we see RQ on Sunday we're all running in the cycle lane - must remember to bring the tins of Lilt, ham sandwiches in tinfoil and to link arms... :pac:

(If you don't get the reference to a certain event then I'm not explaining, Friday afternoon isn't being kind to me)

Advertisement