Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

menoscemo wrote: »
    Despite that I expect she'll be at the RDS collecting her number next saturday too :pac:

I know she's keen, but a week early?! :pac:

Did anyone else on here go running today? It's been a very quiet thread apart from us spamming it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

xebec wrote: »

I am not keen. I don't even want to run it. It would be a awful shame to waste an entry though if I'm fit enough to 'run it but not race it :mad: ' :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

:rolleyes: Saturday 16th is this saturday
    Saturday 23rd is next saturday (aka saturday week)
    Or is that nordy speak :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Did anyone else on here go running today?
    I would have, but physio isn't letting me run on consecutive days at the moment. I compensated by watching the Commonwealth Games athletics this afternoon though. :pac:

:rolleyes: Saturday 16th is this saturday
    Saturday 23rd is next saturday (aka saturday week)
    Or is that nordy speak :confused:

Saturday 16th is next Saturday.
    Saturday 23rd is Saturday week.

It's a grey area really, but I go by that, thus, that is the correct way.

• Advertisement

Meh whatever. No point arguing with you. You're always right :rolleyes: :pac:

Meh whatever. No point arguing with you. You're always right :rolleyes: :pac:

Hello Mr. Pot, have you met Mr. Kettle?

Hello Mr. Pot, have you met Mr. Kettle?

With 4 virgos in the room you could start an argument over literally anything.

With 4 virgos in the room you could start an argument over literally anything.

Just mentally parsed that as "4 virgins". :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

It's a grey area really, but I go by that, thus, that is the correct way.

I'm with you on this one.....

• Advertisement

So... a week into taper now. Time for another drop in mileage this week.

Week 17
    Monday | Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    rest|4 m|6 m|3 m|rest|8 m|cross

All I'm really going to say for this week is to look after yourself! This wouldn't really be a good time to get injured or to pick up a bug. If you've been playing any football/GAA etc it might be time now to give it a rest until after the marathon (5-a-side is lethal to people's marathon ambitions!). Try and keep things on a relatively even keel this week. Next week it's time to have a good chat about the race. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tallanstown

hi i was woundering was their anyone out their who had entered the marathon and was not running, could i buy their number off them thanks

<number swaps are against both our charter, and the rules of the `dm-mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

hi i was woundering was their anyone out their who had entered the marathon and was not running, could i buy their number off them thanks

House Rules State:

If you want to look for (or sell) race numbers because you forgot to enter on time then check that the race allows transfers (most don't). Forward the link or email which states transfers are allowed to the mods before posting your request. We'll close any threads that don't do this.

I'm all over the place, I'm normally level headed and unphased by drama but one minute I'm running sub 4, the next I don't think I'll get to the finish line.

I expected taper madness to set in next week:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

mrslow wrote: »
    I'm all over the place, I'm normally level headed and unphased by drama but one minute I'm running sub 4, the next I don't think I'll get to the finish line.

I expected taper madness to set in next week:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

That's entirely normal! You're going to worry about every little hint of a niggle over the next couple of weeks, and you're going to have all sorts of doubts. You're going to way overthink things and you're probably going to find it hard to concentrate on some other things. You will be fine though - you've put the training in, you just need to get through these next 2 weeks. :)

That's entirely normal! You're going to worry about every little hint of a niggle over the next couple of weeks, and you're going to have all sorts of doubts. You're going to way overthink things and you're probably going to find it hard to concentrate on some other things. You will be fine though - you've put the training in, you just need to get through these next 2 weeks. :)

I think part of it is I diminish runs under 14/15 in my mind now before I run them and like todays 12 realise while running, it takes effort and energy to do these runs and then wonder how in the name of Jaysus I'm gonna do 26.2.

Have you had any more promising news?

Have you had any more promising news?
    Haven't had any more specific promising news yet, but I'm back at the physio on Tuesday. Got through 6.5 miles fine yesterday, was a bit of aching out of it but I wasn't sure if that was the injury or some residual swelling from the needling on Thursday night. The injury site is a lot less painful today though than it has been for most of the last week, and the physio exercises and stretches are definitely getting easier.

At the moment I'm probably about 50/50, part of me is worried about making the injury worse if I do DCM in such a way that it will delay the start of training for Barcelona. I've completely discarded any time goals for DCM if I do it - I don't even care if I'm slower than last year.

Any chance of you doing Barca for a sub 3:45 mrslow?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

Thought I saw a table with all the boardsie's hopeful times and calculated times. Is that taper dreaming or is it still going?

That was on the DCM thread in A/R/T Events, but someone somewhere along the line mangled it.

• Advertisement

I've finally had a look at the video of the DCM route.....It looks ok...I'm really looking forward to it now...Just hope I can stay healthy and sleep well the night before!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

I did it! Finished the Chicago marathon a few hours ago. It was really tough, the last 6 miles it felt like someone was pulling the piss, moving the markers to make bigger miles. THe heat kicked in full force, it was really really hot for the last 6, people being pulled off with heat exhaustion - seeing them lowered into kiddy pools of ice water!

My goal was sub 5 hours today and with 4 miles to go I was on for a 3hr 50 min time. The heat hit me like a ton of bricks and I came in at about 4 hrs 20, I am delighted. Ready for Dublin now in 2 weeks.

Congrats!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

mprop wrote: »
    I did it! Finished the Chicago marathon a few hours ago. It was really tough, the last 6 miles it felt like someone was pulling the piss, moving the markers to make bigger miles. THe heat kicked in full force, it was really really hot for the last 6, people being pulled off with heat exhaustion - seeing them lowered into kiddy pools of ice water!

My goal was sub 5 hours today and with 4 miles to go I was on for a 3hr 50 min time. The heat hit me like a ton of bricks and I came in at about 4 hrs 20, I am delighted. Ready for Dublin now in 2 weeks.

Congradulations - both for the finish and not ending up in the kiddie pool ! And now onto Dublin .... wow !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Congradulations - both for the finish and not ending up in the kiddie pool ! And now onto Dublin .... wow !

Yup. And as today was my first marathon, I can give anyone who is worried about it the following advice.

Its not that bad.

Seriously, head down, enjoying myself and all of a sudden, 10 miles were done. The last 10 are a killer. Just pace yourself at the start and no matter how good you feel, dont break that pace. If you have it in the tank at the end, then use it, dont at the start.

mprop wrote: »
    Just pace yourself at the start and no matter how good you feel, dont break that pace. If you have it in the tank at the end, then use it, dont at the start.

Quoting because it needs to be said again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

That's fantastic mprop! Congratulations!

I'm all over the place

Me too. It's constantly on my mind during the day, and then at night I'm dreaming about it too. I'm quite the wreck this morning. Another two weeks of this. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||285.4||
    The Wexican|||328||
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||343||
    brophya2007|||379.4||
    beamgirl|||274||
    michellemuncher|||258||
    RayCun|4|30.24|497.3|taking it easy now, and going to physio this evening to hammer out the last few aches and pains|
    littlebug| ||373.2||
    meathcountysec|||536.63||
    DigiJem|||314||
    D Chief|||323||
    digger2d2|||428||
    Curl52|||464||
    ilovetorun |||340||
    James Howlett|||418||
    RallyRunner|||381.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|||473.54||
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily|||245||
    Mrslow|||278.8|)|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop||||one marathon isn't enough for this guy:eek:|
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|||585.64||
    Perkina3||| 500| |

• Advertisement

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|||285.4||
    The Wexican|||328||
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|||343||
    brophya2007|||379.4||
    beamgirl|||274||
    michellemuncher|||258||
    RayCun|4|30.24|497.3|taking it easy now, and going to physio this evening to hammer out the last few aches and pains|
    littlebug| ||373.2||
    meathcountysec|||536.63||
    DigiJem|||314||
    D Chief|||323||
    digger2d2|||428||
    Curl52|||464||
    ilovetorun |||340||
    James Howlett|||418||
    RallyRunner|||381.1||
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|||393||
    RubyK|4|34.15|507.69|The madness begins.|