Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pacers are at 3.00, 3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, and 4.30

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

You know its going to be weird talkin to you guys in person after all this time just posting here! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|25.2|310.6|Great 8 mile on Friday, other than that just getting the miles in|
    The Wexican|4|30|328|Good running week all round. Taper couldn't have come at a better time, up the walls at work, so no Taper madness yet for me|
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|4|27|370|Never thought that 12 miles would be a short run. :D|
    brophya2007|4|29|408.4|Tapering is great|
    beamgirl|||274||
    michellemuncher|||258||
    RayCun|4|30.24|497.3|taking it easy now, and going to physio this evening to hammer out the last few aches and pains|
    littlebug|4 |29|402.2|:)|
    meathcountysec|4|26.90|563.53||
    DigiJem|3|25|339|Sluggish midweek runs, but nice LSR.|
    D Chief|5|32|355|Good week. Just hope we get weather like this on the big day.|
    digger2d2|4|27|455|Felt good and all 4 runs done below pmp|
    Curl52|||464||
    ilovetorun |4|26|366|The madness has started for me :( OBSESSING about every aspect of the marathon. Restless nights and awake very early in the mornings :(|
    James Howlett|4|32|450|My running felt better this week and the lower milage is really welcome at this stage.|
    RallyRunner|4|29|410.1|Got the 4 runs out of the way. This tapering thing is nuts...|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|4|31|393|Taper madness in full swing. Starting to feel every little niggle and I'm boring everyone to tears at work with marathon talk|
    RubyK|4|34.15|507.69|The madness begins.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||16|261|Felt exhausted on 5 miler Friday, so decided to leave lsr to tonight, hoping my legs perk up a bit|
    Mrslow|4|29|307.8|Taper madness is here :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop||||one marathon isn't enough for this guy:eek:|
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|5|35.75|621.39|last reasonably hard week done. Serious taper mode now. Time for a last massage as well|
    Perkina3|2|16| 500|only 2 runs this week. Still feeling tired. Ran a 10 km in a new PB of 45.29 and then went into my LSR and smashed my PB by 10 minutes in my 10 mile run...Finished it in 75 mins with gas in the tank. Also did it in new runners which left me with a bloody toe but otherwise feeling good :D...Good mrelaxing week. Will up the milage to bout 25 this week |
    marrona|4|29.31|463.03|2.5ish runs and half marathon in the sun|

RayCun wrote: »
    I know nobody wants to change their plans now but seriously, there is absolutely no need for ipods in a race. Try running your next race without one, you won't miss it at all.

I ran a half marathon at the weekend without music, and in the middle few miles when the crowds were thin, I was pretty bored and missed it. Although, I was running alone and no one around was speaking English.

Supporters are fantastic but there's the occasional one, like one woman just standing there with a sign where she'd written in biro 'BELIEVE', that I just wanted to punch in the face.

I really want to put my name on my shirt - how exactly does one do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    You know its going to be weird talkin to you guys in person after all this time just posting here! lol

It'll be weirder for us :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    Is anyone else STILL not sure about pmp?:rolleyes:

yes. i haven't a notion. until a few weeks ago, I just ran as I wanted with no attention to time or pace. this weekend in Brussels half marathon, I aimed for 10 min miles and came in spot on in 2 hours 11 mins (11.5 mins faster than my Strawberry Half effort in June- very pleased! :D). so now im thinkin 11 min miles for marathon....with no real logic though. just pickin a nice (big) round number!

got a real taste of a marathon in that race, cos there was a full being run at the same time. I was coming in with the 3 hours 40 finishers. some very scary scenes in the last 2 km!! :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

marrona wrote: »
    yes. i haven't a notion. until a few weeks ago, I just ran as I wanted with no attention to time or pace. this weekend in Brussels half marathon, I aimed for 10 min miles and came in spot on in 2 hours 11 mins (11.5 mins faster than my Strawberry Half effort in June- very pleased! :D). so now im thinkin 11 min miles for marathon....with no real logic though. just pickin a nice (big) round number!

got a real taste of a marathon in that race, cos there was a full being run at the same time. I was coming in with the 3 hours 40 finishers. some very scary scenes in the last 2 km!! :eek::eek::eek:

McMillan has you at 4:36:17 for the Marathon (10:33 min/mile - 6:33 min/Km) so 11 min there or thereabouts. Might be worth starting at that pace and burn us all off with a lightening fast final 6 miles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Marrona that's a fantastic result. You've beaten me and (some days I think) I'm planning to try to stick with the 4.30 pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I ran a half marathon at the weekend
    Well done on the half marrona!
    I really want to put my name on my shirt - how exactly does one do that?

I just went into a local printing company - they do signs/leaflets/posters and said that they could put my name and charity on my own tech top. I'd say give a ring around any printing company, and if they can't do it, they will point you in the right direction.

RubyK wrote: »
    Well done on the half marrona!

I just went into a local printing company - they do signs/leaflets/posters and said that they could put my name and charity on my own tech top. I'd say give a ring around any printing company, and if they can't do it, they will point you in the right direction.

Don't any of you in Dublin go to local print companys, come to me.;)

• Advertisement

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right."
    -Henry Ford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Kenyans don't race with i-pods....Think about it! The Marathon is as much about training and preparation as it is about mental strength....Use your undoubted mental strength as opposed to trying to block out the world by listening to Wham:p

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Kenyans don't race with i-pods....Think about it! The Marathon is as much about training and preparation as it is about mental strength....Use your undoubted mental strength as opposed to trying to block out the world by listening to Wham:p

Kenyans were born 2km above sea level. whereas I am from the flatlands of County Meath....think about THAT!;) I don't actually have an ipod, dont know why I'm arguing its corner so much. I run with my phone in my hand which acts as my stopwatch and radio :)

I thought Bros was you're inspiration ;)

But I agree, I've only run once with music and while I enjoyed it, there was something missing. If you run to the beat of some music that gives you adrenaline, you benefit, but you're missing out on the sensory aspect of the race, the sound of your footfall and others around you, your breathing and theirs and of course - the cheering crowd. The struggle you're going through will feel all the more worthwhile when you overcome under your own mental strength and not because Miley Cyrus picked up the tempo ;)

mrslow wrote: »
    "Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right."
    -Henry Ford

"But if you plan to fail and then you do fail, it's kind of like success, right?"
    -Packie Bonner/Daniel O'Donnell in 'I Keano'

I thought Bros was you're inspiration ;)

But I agree, I've only run once with music and while I enjoyed it, there was something missing. If you run to the beat of some music that gives you adrenaline, you benefit, but you're missing out on the sensory aspect of the race, the sound of your footfall and others around you, your breathing and theirs and of course - the cheering crowd. The struggle you're going through will feel all the more worthwhile when you overcome under your own mental strength and not because Miley Cyrus picked up the tempo ;)
    That's beautiful mrslow. is it poetry you print?

"But if you plan to fail and then you do fail, it's kind of like success, right?"
    -Packie Bonner/Daniel O'Donnell in 'I Keano'

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."

That's beautiful mrslow. is it poetry you print?

Just nametags for hairy bikers ;)

Just nametags for hairy bikers ;)
    hairybiker should've been my username

hairybiker should've been my username

That wouldn't have generated any speculation as to your gender, and where would the fun be in that?:P

• Advertisement

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm."

"I'll probly WIN the f**kin thing" - Declan Moffet, Glenamaddy, the beshta luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Kenyans don't race with i-pods....Think about it!

If they did it would probably add 10% to their body weight :p

My T shirt is being printed at the moment, it's getting real now.:eek:

My T shirt is being printed at the moment, it's getting real now.:eek:

Are you planning to wear this tshirt on your run?

Are you planning to wear this tshirt on your run?

For DCM? Yep!

Is it a normal cotton tshirt, or on running top fabric?
    If it's cotton, it'll chafe more, it'll get weighed down by rain and/or sweat, and you'll feel hotter.

Is it a normal cotton tshirt, or on running top fabric?
    If it's cotton, it'll chafe more, it'll get weighed down by rain and/or sweat, and you'll feel hotter.

It's my Tech shirt, I've run several LSR's in it with no issues, my nipples thank you for your concern :P

cool, I thought you'd become mrloony but didn't want to be quite that blunt

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Must get me one of them fancy Skin type running shirts as any other type of tech or other shirt tear the nipples off me... where was the concern for my nipples then Ray???

Mr. Slow... Ur dumped!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

So the OH is going to bring the (very) little ones into see Daddy "go running with friends" i.e. the friends Daddy was running with on telly for the Great Ireland in April.:)
    Anyhoo trying to figure out where's best for them to see me (and vice versa) - was thinking maybe somewhere like Crumlin and then they could head into town to meet me at the finish.
    So for anyone who's done it before or even been to it before how difficult will it be to get to Merrion Sq for the finish with two kids and a buggy - how close can you get the car etc - any advice is welcome!! Cheers!

Advertisement