Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭D Chief

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Must get me one of them fancy Skin type running shirts as any other type of tech or other shirt tear the nipples off me... where was the concern for my nipples then Ray???

Mr. Slow... Ur dumped!! :P

Use micropore tape. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

D Chief wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Templeogue / rathfarnham?? Would be a good one? you could get pretty close I would say anmd that gives them loads a time to make it to merian square for the finish

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

D Chief wrote: »

Another +1

William72 wrote: »
    So for anyone who's done it before or even been to it before how difficult will it be to get to Merrion Sq for the finish with two kids and a buggy - how close can you get the car etc - any advice is welcome!! Cheers!

Haven't done it myself, but it sounds like a nightmare (unless you're coming from the northside?)
    How about the Luas or DART? We cross the Red line around mile 8 I think, and the Green line around mile 18...

Or Fosters Avenue, now that I think of it - they could then drive in through Donnybrook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

Name|Sessions Completed|Total Miles This Week|Total Mileage To Date|Comments
    William72|3|25.2|310.6|Great 8 mile on Friday, other than that just getting the miles in|
    The Wexican|4|30|328|Good running week all round. Taper couldn't have come at a better time, up the walls at work, so no Taper madness yet for me|
    rofno1|||261||
    boccy23|4|27|370|Never thought that 12 miles would be a short run. :D|
    brophya2007|4|29|408.4|Tapering is great|
    beamgirl|3|26|326|Loosing interest, just want the bloody thing to be over|
    michellemuncher|||258||
    RayCun|4|30.24|497.3|taking it easy now, and going to physio this evening to hammer out the last few aches and pains|
    littlebug|4 |29|402.2|:)|
    meathcountysec|4|26.90|563.53||
    DigiJem|3|25|339|Sluggish midweek runs, but nice LSR.|
    D Chief|5|32|355|Good week. Just hope we get weather like this on the big day.|
    digger2d2|4|27|455|Felt good and all 4 runs done below pmp|
    Curl52|||464||
    ilovetorun |4|26|366|The madness has started for me :( OBSESSING about every aspect of the marathon. Restless nights and awake very early in the mornings :(|
    James Howlett|4|32|450|My running felt better this week and the lower milage is really welcome at this stage.|
    RallyRunner|4|29|410.1|Got the 4 runs out of the way. This tapering thing is nuts...|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|4|31|393|Taper madness in full swing. Starting to feel every little niggle and I'm boring everyone to tears at work with marathon talk|
    RubyK|4|34.15|507.69|The madness begins.|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||16|261|Felt exhausted on 5 miler Friday, so decided to leave lsr to tonight, hoping my legs perk up a bit|
    Mrslow|4|29|307.8|Taper madness is here :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:|
    Agent J|||139| |
    mprop||||one marathon isn't enough for this guy:eek:|
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|5|35.75|621.39|last reasonably hard week done. Serious taper mode now. Time for a last massage as well|
    Perkina3|2|16| 500|only 2 runs this week. Still feeling tired. Ran a 10 km in a new PB of 45.29 and then went into my LSR and smashed my PB by 10 minutes in my 10 mile run...Finished it in 75 mins with gas in the tank. Also did it in new runners which left me with a bloody toe but otherwise feeling good :D...Good mrelaxing week. Will up the milage to bout 25 this week |
    marrona|4|29.31|463.03|2.5ish runs and half marathon in the sun|

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    cool, I thought you'd become mrloony but didn't want to be quite that blunt

That's not like you to hold back Mister!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Can we ease off on the taper madness...I really don't want to read about lads nipples at this stage.....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

The taper madness is only going to get worse the closer to the day!!

One more LSR left for me, assuming I get up early tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Curl52

William72|3|25.2|310.6|Great 8 mile on Friday, other than that just getting the miles in|
    The Wexican|4|30|328|Good running week all round. Taper couldn't have come at a better time, up the walls at work, so no Taper madness yet for me|
    rofno1|||261||
    michellemuncher|||258||
    RayCun|4|30.24|497.3|taking it easy now, and going to physio this evening to hammer out the last few aches and pains|
    Curl52|4|26|490|Def needed the tapering down after the 20miler, only did 11miles in LSR, have a niggling pain in my leg that heartbreakingly felt worse on the LSR so going to the physio tomorrow, hopefully he'll sort me out|
    ilovetorun |4|26|366|The madness has started for me :( OBSESSING about every aspect of the marathon. Restless nights and awake very early in the mornings :(|
    James Howlett|4|32|450|My running felt better this week and the lower milage is really welcome at this stage.|
    RallyRunner|4|29|410.1|Got the 4 runs out of the way. This tapering thing is nuts...|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    Milosh|4|31|393|Taper madness in full swing. Starting to feel every little niggle and I'm boring everyone to tears at work with marathon talk|
    The_Dazzler|||||
    JEmily||16|261|Felt exhausted on 5 miler Friday, so decided to leave lsr to tonight, hoping my legs perk up a bit|
    Agent J|||139| |
    Lad GAGA|||c466||
    BrokenMan|5|35.75|621.39|last reasonably hard week done. Serious taper mode now. Time for a last massage as well|
    Perkina3|2|16| 500|only 2 runs this week. Still feeling tired. Ran a 10 km in a new PB of 45.29 and then went into my LSR and smashed my PB by 10 minutes in my 10 mile run...Finished it in 75 mins with gas in the tank. Also did it in new runners which left me with a bloody toe but otherwise feeling good :D...Good mrelaxing week. Will up the milage to bout 25 this week |

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Can we ease off on the taper madness...I really don't want to read about lads nipples at this stage.....:P

Who's nipples do you want to hear about then?

mrslow wrote: »
    Who's nipples do you want to hear about then?

What goes on the road stays on the road......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

So the OH is going to bring the (very) little ones into see Daddy "go running with friends" i.e. the friends Daddy was running with on telly for the Great Ireland in April.:)
    Anyhoo trying to figure out where's best for them to see me (and vice versa) - was thinking maybe somewhere like Crumlin and then they could head into town to meet me at the finish.
    So for anyone who's done it before or even been to it before how difficult will it be to get to Merrion Sq for the finish with two kids and a buggy - how close can you get the car etc - any advice is welcome!! Cheers!

Milltown seems like a good spot. Easy to take the Luas from town and back again in time for the finish and the crowds don't tend to be huge there so you'll notice the family as you pass them :)

That is as long as they hang around long enough, my dad and sister were there last year and left about 10 minutes before I passed through!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

So the OH is going to bring the (very) little ones into see Daddy "go running with friends" i.e. the friends Daddy was running with on telly for the Great Ireland in April.:)
    Anyhoo trying to figure out where's best for them to see me (and vice versa) - was thinking maybe somewhere like Crumlin and then they could head into town to meet me at the finish.
    I'd say Fosters Ave/N11, this is the point after which every step is a step further than you have ever ran before if it's your first Marathon and your LSR's peaked at 20 miles. It's a good point for a psychological boost before the warm up ends and the 6.2 mile race begins! Plus the N11 stays open as the course stays in the bus lane and goes over the UCD fly-over meaning it's easy to catch a bus back into the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭michellemuncher

rofno1|||261||
    michellemuncher|2|20|278|Ahem, taking the tapering a bit far!|
    Curl52|4|26|490|Def needed the tapering down after the 20miler, only did 11miles in LSR, have a niggling pain in my leg that heartbreakingly felt worse on the LSR so going to the physio tomorrow, hopefully he'll sort me out|
    corked| | |273.65| |
    The_Dazzler|||||
    Agent J|||139| |
    Lad GAGA|||c466||

I have finally been hit by taper madness...I think I am coming down with a head cold and I am dreading how long this is going to keep me out....this will be the 3rd one in 3 months and down to the stooopid air con at the place I am working at for the next while!!!!!

On the plus side... got taken out for a run last night... jesus he drove me hard but I still had the legs on him :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

sideswipe wrote: »
    Plus the N11 stays open as the course stays in the bus lane and goes over the UCD fly-over meaning it's easy to catch a bus back into the finish.

Thanks for the info sideswipe, I think I'll make this my plan B :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I have finally been hit by taper madness...I think I am coming down with a head cold

That makes two of us, I have it since the weekend, but I'm not letting it stop me running. I don't know if that is right or wrong.....
    It's not too bad I guess, but when I wake up in the morning, ugh congestion & phlegm central!!! :D

well the guys were sharing about their nipples....

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

jcsmum wrote: »
    That makes two of us, I have it since the weekend, but I'm not letting it stop me running. I don't know if that is right or wrong.....
    It's not too bad I guess, but when I wake up in the morning, ugh congestion & phlegm central!!! :D

I went to a pharmacist and got a dissolvable tablet to drink in the mornings to clear phlegm. it cleared right up and i still take it cos it tastes good. don't have the name on me now, i'll check it out

jesus he drove me hard but I still had the legs on him :):D

It's nice you're still finding time for romance even with all the training :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Morning Guys,

With work and home life being very busy at the moment I'm not getting a chance to get involved with ye're chat. Anyways-just dropping in to say that I hope everyone is getting on ok and that ye're all enjoying taper time!

Laters!

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Morning Guys,

With work and home life being very busy at the moment I'm not getting a chance to get involved with ye're chat. Anyways-just dropping in to say that I hope everyone is getting on ok and that ye're all enjoying taper time!

Laters!

Enjoying? I'm going mad :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

@Mr. Slow..... You can't romance me back into bed that easy Mr. Slow! You are going to have to work harder than that.... ;). Run the DCM quicker than me and we can talk so. :P

@JCSMUM....The oul phlegm is a pain in the ass aint it.... I am only getting it now but I want to try nip it in the bud....I am getting awful paranoid bout it!!!

finally a general question. I am booked in for another physio session this weekend....Is it advisable to get a sports massage on the sat/sun before the marathon?

finally a general question. I am booked in for another physio session this weekend....Is it advisable to get a sports massage on the sat/sun before the marathon?

I wouldn't - I got a sports massage Monday afternoon, and I feel like my legs are still recovering, not sore but tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

@Mr. Slow..... You can't romance me back into bed that easy Mr. Slow! You are going to have to work harder than that.... ;). Run the DCM quicker than me and we can talk so. :P

@JCSMUM....The oul phlegm is a pain in the ass aint it.... I am only getting it now but I want to try nip it in the bud....I am getting awful paranoid bout it!!!

Have you had one before? If so, how long did it take you to recover? A week out should be plenty of time for whatever healing needs to be done, but it's a very personal thing. Chances are your legs will feel sore and tired for at least a few days...

Taper madness is starting to hit me now too. Feeling niggles in places where I don't normally get them... Nearly flipped when the guy in the seat behind me on the plane on Monday coughed all over me, does he not know that I can't afford to get sick at this stage?! Anyway, trying to keep the body and head under control and remember that this is all normal behaviour with less than two weeks to go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Only if you clearly state you are doing DCM a week later so that they 'go easy' on you. As Ray says a good Sports massage can be quite tough on your legs and take a while to recover from.

xebec wrote: »
    Have you had one before? If so, how long did it take you to recover? A week out should be plenty of time for whatever healing needs to be done, but it's a very personal thing. Chances are your legs will feel sore and tired for at least a few days...

Taper madness is starting to hit me now too. Feeling niggles in places where I don't normally get them... Nearly flipped when the guy in the seat behind me on the plane on Monday coughed all over me, does he not know that I can't afford to get sick at this stage?! Anyway, trying to keep the body and head under control and remember that this is all normal behaviour with less than two weeks to go...

I was in the doctor's waiting room last week with my kids and I felt like everyone around me had the black plague.:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Only if you clearly state you are doing DCM a week later so that they 'go easy' on you. As Ray says a good Sports massage can be quite tough on your legs and take a while to recover from.

I've one booked for this evening :eek:

Right well I had some quite rigorous work done on my hamstrings last week...bout 75 minutes worth due to the level of tightness there.

I then went out and steamed through my 10 mile LSR the next day in record time....It was tender to touch but no ill effects at all regarding the hamstrings themselves like. when I was sayin sat/sun...I was saying like the 23/24 oct :cool::cool:

Yeah a mate of mine is sick and I think he has given me what he has but I hav ebeen giving out to him for two days about it... he jus laughs now.....I make this face at him...colour and all haha:mad::mad:

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »

Jaybus....I better bring a box a kleenex to the DCM for you.....:rolleyes:

Advertisement