Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Dublin Marathon Novices/Sub-4:30 Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    I've one booked for this evening :eek:

11 days out you should be grand - you've had some before anyway so you know what your recovery is like.
    Perkina seemed to be asking about getting a massage 1 or 2 days before the marathon, and that's just too close for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

It's not unusual for someone to get a rub-down 2-3 days before a race, particularly if they're used to it. But again, this comes down to not changing anything for the race compared to what you have done before - don't change your nutrition, wear the same clothes (preferably after washing them ;)), equally don't get a massage if you're not used to getting one done so close to a run...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Well I am going to do it again this weekend and see how I feel and I may get one next friday if I pull through it ok

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭William72

xebec wrote: »
    Nearly flipped when the guy in the seat behind me on the plane on Monday coughed all over me, does he not know that I can't afford to get sick at this stage?! ..

+1 - colleague came into work yesterday and announced that her son had a bad dose of the trots and she wasn't feeling too hot herself....:eek: I didn't even try to hide my very obvious step back... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭marrona

marrona wrote: »
    I went to a pharmacist and got a dissolvable tablet to drink in the mornings to clear phlegm. it cleared right up and i still take it cos it tastes good. don't have the name on me now, i'll check it out

Lysomucil Acetylcysteinum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Lysomucil Acetylcysteinum

Crikey that's a mouthful! I'm going to write it down and hand it to the pharmacist.
    Cheers for that. :)

2 more days till the weekend!! Yay!!! :D.... On a job that makes me crave my weekend space even more :P

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭IronTractorBoy

Just the 26.4 miles ran today, now starting the taper.

I got to the end of the club run tonight and there was people coughing a lot (not running related) and there is also a lot of coughing/sneezing at work. Great just what I need to add to the taper madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

i'm lashing into the vitamin c at the moment, seems to be working at keeping away the sickness touch wood. That and the face mask I'm wearing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Had mine last night, not much pain and physio says I'm in great nick - Roll on DCM :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

For those whose interested, i'll be at Knockmaroon gate at 9am on Saturday for a 12 mile run.

Tis the usual lap of 10.5 or so with a bit thrown in to make the distance. All are welcome. Pace is usually 9.30/10 mins a mile.

Depending on whether I have matches to referee I may join you Chin....

@ Mr Slow....Booooo.... I am a walking disaster with tight muscles everywhere but I still have never been in better shape....been doing 6.30 miles on some of my faster short runs...delighted with that!

So ya ROLL ON DCM 2010 BOOM!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Had mine last night, not much pain and physio says I'm in great nick - Roll on DCM :D

Booked in for one tomorrow. Niggles in right hip and thigh to sort out....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

chinguetti wrote: »
    For those whose interested, i'll be at Knockmaroon gate at 9am on Saturday for a 12 mile run.

Tis the usual lap of 10.5 or so with a bit thrown in to make the distance. All are welcome. Pace is usually 9.30/10 mins a mile.

Might join you for some of that I'm planning 13 or 14, because I CAN!

Booked in for one tomorrow. Niggles in right hip and thigh to sort out....

Good Luck with it!

Perkina3 wrote: »
    @ Mr Slow....Booooo.... I am a walking disaster with tight muscles everywhere

That'll be all that chasin youngfellas around fields you've been doing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

That'll be all that chasin youngfellas around fields you've been doing ;)

Cross country is such a hard event....

Cross country is such a hard event....

Tell me about it.... You need to have good steady ankles for it.... damn pesky young fellas will run everywhere :P

Mr. Slow I wudn't by talk too much bout me chasing young fellas from what I have heard.

Can't reveal my sources......... *Points finger at JEmily :P.....

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Tapering Madness has set in ;) I was walking from work into town in my high heels and I was doing my best to avoid the leaves on the footpath incase I slipped on them, I'm sure I looked odd dancing around the footpath :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭JEmily

Tell me about it.... You need to have good steady ankles for it.... damn pesky young fellas will run everywhere :P

Mr. Slow I wudn't by talk too much bout me chasing young fellas from what I have heard.

You go away for 5 minutes...and look what happens. What'd i miss?

Seen as though i'm still a young wan (don't mention my last birthday number) i'm allowed chase after young fellas...yippee:p

• Advertisement

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Tapering Madness has set in ;) I was walking from work into town in my high heels and I was doing my best to avoid the leaves on the footpath incase I slipped on them, I'm sure I looked odd dancing around the footpath :o

I'm so obsessed i'm in flats all the time now...you just never know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Good point JEmily- The heels are away until after the 25th!

JEmily wrote: »
    I'm so obsessed i'm in flats all the time now...you just never know:rolleyes:

obsessed? ive dropped tues and thurs football training for fear of going over on an ankle. so i decided to take up the offer of thurs eve work drinks I always have to pass on...and now im thinkin "what if i twist my ankle walkin to the pub? what if someone there knocks me over? what if I catch a cold?" :oand I'm wearing heels which it never occurred to me until now are so dangerous! livin life on the edge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Just a quick note - in case it hasnt been covered.

Be prepared for the aftermath of running a marathon. I spent a day in bed this week with flu like symptoms and apart from the medal I got for Sunday, the real badge of honour is on my lip, a great big dirty coldsore.

What I did wrong;

Diet of pancakes and beer for three days beforehand. Ate way too much crap and I new it. The morning (48hrs) before the morning before the race I had two giant portions of pancakes, a huge lunch of thick white bread sambos, a dinner of 3 hot dogs, a plate or brownies and then a bowl of chilli. Next morning I had fried egg on bagle, sandwiches for lunch then a burger and chips for dinner.

Day of the run I had porridge for breakfast then those rancid gel tubes throughout. Had Smith & Willinskies steak and wine for dinner. Home sober.

Next morning, two large portions of pancakes. Lunch a sandwich and dinner a huge pizza and a few beers (3). Started to feel bad.

Puked like Gary in team america. Realised that I hadnt gone to the loo in a two days so I had basically filled myself, literally from top to bottom. No viatamins either. Sorry its graphic just want to advise against the two day sweaty shake I got. I didnt eat right before hand and I didnt respect my body afterwards.

Moral of the story? Eat well. Take vitamins. Drink lots of water and rest loads after the race.

Still, Im ready for Dublin. Bring it.

mprop wrote: »

Be prepared for the aftermath of running a marathon. I spent a day in bed this week with flu like symptoms and apart from the medal I got for Sunday, the real badge of honour is on my lip, a great big dirty coldsore.

What I did wrong;

Diet of pancakes and beer for three days beforehand. Ate way too much crap and I new it. The morning (48hrs) before the morning before the race I had two giant portions of pancakes, a huge lunch of thick white bread sambos, a dinner of 3 hot dogs, a plate or brownies and then a bowl of chilli. Next morning I had fried egg on bagle, sandwiches for lunch then a burger and chips for dinner.

Day of the run I had porridge for breakfast then those rancid gel tubes throughout. Had Smith & Willinskies steak and wine for dinner. Home sober.

Next morning, two large portions of pancakes. Lunch a sandwich and dinner a huge pizza and a few beers (3). Started to feel bad.

Puked like Gary in team america. Realised that I hadnt gone to the loo in a two days so I had basically filled myself, literally from top to bottom. No viatamins either. Sorry its graphic just want to advise against the two day sweaty shake I got. I didnt eat right before hand and I didnt respect my body afterwards.

Moral of the story? Eat well. Take vitamins. Drink lots of water and rest loads after the race.

Holy *****, before Digger gets in there, you've just :eek: even me food-wise there...that's even beat one of my "hungry weeks".

Feel a bit better than someone else eats crap. But i'm definitely looking after myself bit better and trying to cut out junk. Can't stop eating again, today and yesterday. Hopefully will pass again.

What you put in you get out...

So how did you feel the day/days after the marathon, did you find light exercise good after? Or complete rest/stretching?
    Also, how long did you leave it before you got out for first short run after?

mprop, that is such an impressive amount of food. apart from the porridge, it was all beautiful. can't stop thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

yikes :eek: After the first race that I ever put real effort into I got the coldsore from hell... my first one ever :( and it took over my face.
    I noticed yesterday what I think might be the beginning of a coldsore already so I've been smothering it in zovirax. Body trying to tell me something. Just wait 10 more days old bones... 10 more days and I promise I'll lie down and rest a while.
    I've been eating lots of crAp too :(

JEmily wrote: »
    Holy *****, before Digger gets in there, you've just :eek: even me food-wise there...that's even beat one of my "hungry weeks".

Feel a bit better than someone else eats crap. But i'm definitely looking after myself bit better and trying to cut out junk. Can't stop eating again, today and yesterday. Hopefully will pass again.

What you put in you get out...

So how did you feel the day/days after the marathon, did you find light exercise good after? Or complete rest/stretching?
    Also, how long did you leave it before you got out for first short run after?

I felt great but tired that day & night. Next day I felt sore but fine, just a lot of stretching but that night I went pukey and felt terrible, no sleep, completely dehydrated. Yesterday - ok, legs much better, today fine. No excersize, just rest and stretching. Feel grand now. Will go for a run on sat, just a light 10km or so, maybe another 15km on weds but nothing major, just out lightly with the dog.
    mprop, that is such an impressive amount of food. apart from the porridge, it was all beautiful. can't stop thinking about it.

Yeah Im 6'7 so I can pack it away! About to go for my last chicago Deep dish pizza. Its the most amazing thing I have ever tasted. Flying home tonight :(

ilovetorun wrote: »
    Good point JEmily- The heels are away until after the 25th!

Me too :D

The What Now?
    Just a quick note - in case it hasnt been covered. What I did wrong;

Even if you hadn't done Gael Force, Climbed Mt Kilimanjaro and run a marathon in that heat, you'd still be in the horrors after that lot. ;)

• Advertisement

littlebug wrote: »
    yikes :eek: After the first race that I ever put real effort into I got the coldsore from hell... my first one ever :( and it took over my face.
    I noticed yesterday what I think might be the beginning of a coldsore already so I've been smothering it in zovirax. Body trying to tell me something. Just wait 10 more days old bones... 10 more days and I promise I'll lie down and rest a while.
    I've been eating lots of crAp too :(

Go to the pharmacy and get L-Lycine (pharmacy etc). Its a vitamin that helps prevent them. I work in a high stress job so I take them when things are stressful

Advertisement