Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPS Query

Options
  • 05-05-2010 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

Just a quick query on your VPS packages. Can you explain the burstable cpu /memory features of the packages.

My understanding of burstable cpu speeds would be you can use any idle cpu cycles up to a defined amount over your guaranteed cpu speed. Is this the case? Do you provide a guaranteed amount of cpu and ram and you can burst to the amounts defined in your vps packages? If so what are the guranteed amounts?

Have a project coming up and would prefer to do it using java / tomcat instead of in php so I need to decide whether to go the shared hosting or vps route instead!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

lynchie wrote: »
    Just a quick query on your VPS packages. Can you explain the burstable cpu /memory features of the packages.

My understanding of burstable cpu speeds would be you can use any idle cpu cycles up to a defined amount over your guaranteed cpu speed. Is this the case? Do you provide a guaranteed amount of cpu and ram and you can burst to the amounts defined in your vps packages? If so what are the guranteed amounts?

Have a project coming up and would prefer to do it using java / tomcat instead of in php so I need to decide whether to go the shared hosting or vps route instead!

Hi There,

In a nutshell what you've said is the case. i.e. if you are on a 512meg plan it's configured as 256 guaranteed, burstable to 512 if it's available.

CPU is not just MHz related really, it's CPU time, i.e. the scheduler will give you a certain number of cycles off the clock. If there's more available then you can use them.

Most java stuff requires dedicated because of memory requirements, but it does work on VPS aswell but I'd be careful memory allocation wise.

Paul

Advertisement