Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom : Regular intermittent connection issues?

• 05-05-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

Guys,

We are having very regular intermittent connectivity issues with our Smart Telecom internet connection for the past 2 or 3 days. We seem to lose connectivity for about 2 or 3 seconds every 10 or 15 minutes. Not a huge problem for email and browsing but we have a lot of connections open [vpn / voip etc] that are very sensitive to drops.

We are currently looking to see if we can see a pattern but aren't closed to the idea that our router / firewall solution is on it's last legs.

Anyone else having Smart Telecom connectivity issues over the past few days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

RangeR wrote: »
    Guys,

We are having very regular intermittent connectivity issues with our Smart Telecom internet connection for the past 2 or 3 days. We seem to lose connectivity for about 2 or 3 seconds every 10 or 15 minutes. Not a huge problem for email and browsing but we have a lot of connections open [vpn / voip etc] that are very sensitive to drops.

We are currently looking to see if we can see a pattern but aren't closed to the idea that our router / firewall solution is on it's last legs.

Anyone else having Smart Telecom connectivity issues over the past few days?

Regular intermittent? That sounds like a contradiction.

During the disconnection do you lose synch? Does your DSL light go off and start flasking? If its a problem like this I would check your cabling. Another problem could be on the PPoE side of things, where your ISP verifies your account details. Sometimes you will get disconnected from that.

In both cases you should register the problem a intermittant issues rarely fix themselves. While it could be your DSL router that is the problem its quite rare.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Xcellor wrote: »
    Regular intermittent? That sounds like a contradiction.

Too true. I'll explain. Upon a more detailed investigation, we aren't actually loosing the connection [confirmed by ST Support] but rather sustained packet loss for about 1 or 2 seconds every 5 or 10 minutes. Rather than only one or two drops a day, it is a regular occurrence [every 5 or 10 minutes] but intermittent in so far as it's not EVERY 5 minutes. Sometimes it's 5 mins, sometimes 10mins, sometimes 6.5 mins.
    During the disconnection do you lose synch? Does your DSL light go off and start flasking? If its a problem like this I would check your cabling. Another problem could be on the PPoE side of things, where your ISP verifies your account details. Sometimes you will get disconnected from that.
    I don't know. Aolink Modem is in server room and I'd have to sit there for up to 30 minutes concentrating hard on the flashing lights as it isn't super regular and only lasts about 2 seconds. Blink and you'd miss it.

Our modem is bridged to our PC based Endian firewall. Endian is stating that our authentication is ok. ST authenticates us every time properly.
    In both cases you should register the problem a intermittant issues rarely fix themselves. While it could be your DSL router that is the problem its quite rare.
    X
    Yup, I was onto ST during lunch and they are sending out a new modem. They are seeing errors on the line but no actual disconnects. Everything was working perfectly until about 3 or 4 days ago. My guess is it's a line fault or hardware issue. If the ST Modem doesn't fix the problem, I'll reconfigure a new Endian box.

Thanks for your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 colmmloc

your detailed modem error stats may indicate whether this problem is caused by line noise or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

colmmloc wrote: »
    your detailed modem error stats may indicate whether this problem is caused by line noise or something else.

Yup. I don't have easy access [logically] to the modem as it's in bridged mode [too much disruption to the company to do anything with]. I will do that with the replacement modem I'll get from ST tomorrow.

Advertisement