Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropped my Camera

• 05-05-2010 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

I managed to drop my camera (Canon 40D) today while changing a lense (note to self: it's not a good idea to change a lense when you have just run away from the police fireing tear gas granades at you and you can't fully concentrate on the lense change).

The camera fell down on marble stairs (luckily only the camera without any lense) and then dropped down 2 more stairs.
    I tired to switch it on imieaditly afterwards and it wouldn't switch on. I then walked away and tried in a quiet place again. I removed the batteries, tried the camera without the grip and nothing would work.
    When I came home an hour later, I tried it a last time with new batteries and the camera started working again (also with the old batteries) and everything seems fine I Could focus, the caomera would take picture and all switches and dials wold work
    Does anyone know what the problem could have been and if there is a way to check, that nothing is broken.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

mdebets wrote: »
    I managed to drop my camera (Canon 40D) today while changing a lense (note to self: it's not a good idea to change a lense when you have just run away from the police fireing tear gas granades at you and you can't fully concentrate on the lense change).

The camera fell down on marble stairs (luckily only the camera without any lense) and then dropped down 2 more stairs.
    I tired to switch it on imieaditly afterwards and it wouldn't switch on. I then walked away and tried in a quiet place again. I removed the batteries, tried the camera without the grip and nothing would work.
    When I came home an hour later, I tried it a last time with new batteries and the camera started working again (also with the old batteries) and everything seems fine I Could focus, the caomera would take picture and all switches and dials wold work
    Does anyone know what the problem could have been and if there is a way to check, that nothing is broken.

where are you that the "Police" are firing tear gas ???

you could have the camera suffering shock damage - are there any loose bits (shake the camera a bit) ..... could be FUBAR !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Ouch! It looks like you may have escaped without any damage. Use it for a while
    to see if any problems develop.

It isn't easy to tell why it took some time to come back to life. Leaving the battery
    out for a while may have fully reset it in a way that is different to just operating
    the power switch. I bet you are glad you paid the extra few quid for a camera
    with an alloy body.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

PCPhoto wrote: »
    where are you that the "Police" are firing tear gas ???
    I'm in Athens at the moment and was caught up in today's demonstration near were the main action happened, but was lucky to get out, before the real riots started.
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    you could have the camera suffering shock damage - are there any loose bits (shake the camera a bit) ..... could be FUBAR !!!

No loose bits I can hear when shaking the camere.

Another question in regards to the tear gas. How bad is it for the camera and lenses (24-70L and 100-400L).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Care to share some of the images you took?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Whhooop never mind clicked your flickr :eek:

• Advertisement

hbr wrote: »
    Ouch! It looks like you may have escaped without any damage. Use it for a while
    to see if any problems develop.

It isn't easy to tell why it took some time to come back to life. Leaving the battery
    out for a while may have fully reset it in a way that is different to just operating
    the power switch. I bet you are glad you paid the extra few quid for a camera
    with an alloy body.

Hope it was really nothing (don't fancy sitting in Athens for a while with no camera or trying to find a Canon repair shop).
    The body was realy worth it. The only mark is on the side of the pop-up flash where a tiny little bit of the black colour is missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Golden rules:

1.> Never ever ever ever EVER fail to have your camera strap around your neck or wrapped around your arm.

2.> see rule #1

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Another question in regards to the tear gas. How bad is it for the camera and lenses (24-70L and 100-400L).

I'm glad you managed to dodge the violence and I'm sorry you busted your camera, but that line made me laugh a bit.

I never thought I'd see a question like that asked in complete seriousness on an Irish forum :D

Nice pics btw, I'd say it was scary enough. A friend of mine got tear-gassed while in Greece a few years back.

Heebie wrote: »
    Golden rules:

1.> Never ever ever ever EVER fail to have your camera strap around your neck or wrapped around your arm.

2.> see rule #1

:)

I know, I know, I normally do it always if I change a lense standing, and this was the first time I didn't do it (and I thought I had it around the neck).
    The problem in hindsight was that I was too preoccupied to check that I was not in the way of any police advancement or teargas granates, so that I didn't take proper care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

I don't think tear gas will cause any real damage to a camera. I have known plenty of people who have shot during tear gas and none of their gear was damaged. During the Seattle WTO riots.
    You might get temporary fogging on the lens and surfaces but nothing permanent.
    Best to get some protection for eyes and mouth if you are going to be shooting near tear gas, that stuff burns like hell. If nothing else get a scarf/bandanna/cloth over your face. Cheap Science goggles do a wonder for the eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Yup, in a heated crowd like that you really should take a few seconds on the side to secure your equipment to your person. Bad luck, hope it's fixable for ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

That was the greatest opening for a topic ever..... Hope that the cameras okay and sure now you have he story to tell people in pubs. "Well, I nearly broke my camera the other day while fleeing from teargas......" Say that you were doing some work for reuters at the time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

Nice that you avoided being attacked/crushed/burned alive(see bank employees).
    I had issues with my Olympus when I turned it on without Lense - I know you didn't say you did, but - then when I put back on my lense it didn't seem to work right. It did in the end when I worked out what the catch was, too long to go in to - it was due to turning on with out lense.

In short, might it just have been the setup of the camera not liking the situation, the battery being eff'd.

Corkfeen wrote: »
    That was the greatest opening for a topic ever..... Hope that the cameras okay and sure now you have he story to tell people in pubs. "Well, I nearly broke my camera the other day while fleeing from teargas......" Say that you were doing some work for reuters at the time. :rolleyes:

That's true and I can tell them that I nearly made it into every paper and TV Channel, if the photographers and cameramen would have shot a little bit to the right or to the left :mad:, as I can see everywhere pictures I remember having been there, just a little bit on the side of the picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

3 ppl died today in the riots in Athens. Fire in a bank or something like that.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/cowen-greek-bailout-has-strict-guarantees-456503.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

That's true and I can tell them that I nearly made it into every paper and TV Channel, if the photographers and cameramen would have shot a little bit to the right or to the left :mad:, as I can see everywhere pictures I remember having been there, just a little bit on the side of the picture

Apologies for possibly sounding a bit insensitive but its a fairly significant event to have witnessed...... Loving the shots in the topic also.

Advertisement