Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council house transfer woes

Options
  • 05-05-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

hi, i am trying to relocate from a council house in kildare to donegal as all my family have moved or are in the process of moving up there, i have tried ringing the council to ask for a transfer or swap and that was a no go, if i give up my council house and move into rental accommodation i will not get the rent allowance because i gave up my house, and i cannot go on a waiting list in donegal council because i already have a house, i am a single mum on lone parent so cannot afford to rent privately myself, does anyone have any ideas out of this what seems to be a catch 22 situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

hi, i am trying to relocate from a council house in kildare to donegal as all my family have moved or are in the process of moving up there, i have tried ringing the council to ask for a transfer or swap and that was a no go, if i give up my council house and move into rental accommodation i will not get the rent allowance because i gave up my house, and i cannot go on a waiting list in donegal council because i already have a house, i am a single mum on lone parent so cannot afford to rent privately myself, does anyone have any ideas out of this what seems to be a catch 22 situation

It's def a council house you have and not an affordable house right? If you've a council house what you can do if post an ad in Donegal and see if you can find someone looking to swap, once you do then get on to the two county councils and it should be an easy swap then. I know a few people who've done this between Kilkenny and Tipperary but they are councils that share a border so not sure if it will be as smooth going from Kildare to Donegal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ztoical has it here. It would be up to you to organise a reciprochal swap with a council house tenant in Donegal, and then get the two councils to agree to the swap.

I understand your predicament- unfortunately the councils are not in the business of organising swaps such as you're suggesting- they are in the business of housing folk- and they have fulfilled their obligation to you in this respect. Its now up to you to do the leg work to organise a transfer......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I would imagine you wouldn't find it too hard. There would probably be a lot of people wanting to move closer to dublin in the hope of getting a job. You should post on gumtree and adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 19 shamshell29

i have been trying for a swap on various sites and in local papers etc for over a year with no luck but thanks for your advice anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Kildare musn't have a transfer list from what you're saying. That's a pity, all the Dublin councils do. I think the only thing you can do is just keep at what you've been doing. If you're really determined maybe you'd spend a weekend up in Donegal every couple of months putting ads in the local shops as well? You could tie it in with visiting family. That's what I'd do if I was really determined. The thing is you can be sure there is at least one person in Donegal as desperate to get to Kildare as you are to get to Donegal - it's just a matter of finding them.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Josie C

I to am in the exact situation as you i was in for a house swap to Dublin from kildare and all of a sudden house swaps were Cancelled i appealed the decision and after 4 months of waiting was refused with no valid reason even though i had some body to swap with who went through the appeals system with me any advice would be greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 timmytadgh

hi im in the same position, im looking to move closer to dublin, ive my house on web site olx council house swap, ive a 3bedroom semi detatched in loughanure co donegal, could you send me some details of you're home and photo's. thanks audrey

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

timmytadgh wrote: »
    hi im in the same position, im looking to move closer to dublin, ive my house on web site olx council house swap, ive a 3bedroom semi detatched in loughanure co donegal, could you send me some details of you're home and photo's. thanks audrey
    As with anything, please make sure you verify who a person is before you give them your details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wenwilwek

hi there,
    i live in a beautiful 3 bed council house in letterkenny, was looking for a swap to Dublin, Laois, Kildare or Wicklow as i just got a job offer in Dublin.
    I f you are interested pls contact me, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

wenwilwek wrote: »
    hi there,
    i live in a beautiful 3 bed council house in letterkenny, was looking for a swap to Dublin, Laois, Kildare or Wicklow as i just got a job offer in Dublin.
    I f you are interested pls contact me, thanks
    This thread is over a year old. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a reply from the OP.

But hey, you never know. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 khan 19

can you house swap in longford

i have three bed council house in longford near shop school and all shoping

smccarrick wrote: »
    ztoical has it here. It would be up to you to organise a reciprochal swap with a council house tenant in Donegal, and then get the two councils to agree to the swap.

I understand your predicament- unfortunately the councils are not in the business of organising swaps such as you're suggesting- they are in the business of housing folk- and they have fulfilled their obligation to you in this respect. Its now up to you to do the leg work to organise a transfer......
    i have three bed new house in longford can you swap with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

Jesus.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Khan19- I genuinely don't know whether you've actually realised you're replying to a 2 year old thread, or whether you're deliberately trying to rile people. Please check when posts were last made on a thread before replying on them. Replying to a thread in the way you have done is known as creating a zombie.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement