Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Style/image issues

Options
  • 05-05-2010 2:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For sometime now, iv noticed the mobile site takes an extra few seconds to load its appropriate style. However, it seems to now have completely disappeared and its not loading at all.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know if it's related but I'm finding the site to be kinda slow, lots of images aren't loading and the stylesheet for the beta menu isn't working right. This is happening on chrome and IE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

These two reports are possibly related to each other, and almost certainly not related to the issues last night.

The server handling b-static.net has changed. It's possible you have stale DNS entries for it though. Both the old and new machines should be serving the content correctly, so the changeover should be seamless. Even if your browsers are incorrectly going to the old machine, it's still up and serving content.

Do either of you have entries for b-static.net or static.boards.ie in your hosts file? Or are you behind a caching proxy? Or are you using DNS other than your ISP's?

Also, what do you see when you click on this link?

http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/buttons/post_thanks.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Kanye

Seems fine now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Conor wrote: »
    Also, what do you see when you click on this link?

http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/buttons/post_thanks.gif

"Oops! Google Chrome could not find b-static.net"

Yup, seems to be a dns issue. I think I'm using google's dns servers so I might try switching them.

• Advertisement

Yep, looking at it, Google appear to have dropped our record from their public DNS for some reason. Bizarre.

I switched to opendns and it's the exact same. I added 89.234.66.107 b-static.net to my hosts file and it has sorted some of the issues. Images show fine on thread but in my user cp they still won't show. Javascript doesn't seem to be working either. e.g. quick reply, multi-quote, clicking on a person's username brings you to their profile instead of showing the dropdown, beta menu shows fine but when you click on any of the categories it just brings you to the category.

Scrap that everything seems to be working now. Don't know if it's to do with opendns adding it b-static or if it's to do with me adding it to the hosts file but it's working and that's all I care about.

I switched to opendns and it's the exact same. I added 89.234.66.107 b-static.net to my hosts file and it has sorted some of the issues. Images show fine on thread but in my user cp they still won't show. Javascript doesn't seem to be working either. e.g. quick reply, multi-quote, clicking on a person's username brings you to their profile instead of showing the dropdown, beta menu shows fine but when you click on any of the categories it just brings you to the category.

OpenDNS works fine for me at the moment. Going by this page, they have the correct data in all of their servers.

For the other issues, a hard refresh of the page should sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Conor, could you give a layman's explanation, or way to fix at the user end please?

I don't really understand much in this thread at all.

I'm with UPC if that helps

• Advertisement

Des wrote: »
    Oh, I'm on Mint
    Mint is a spin off from ubuntu if I remember correctly so try and give this a shot.

https://store.opendns.com/setup/operatingsystem/ubuntu

Alternatively, you could use this (https://store.opendns.com/setup/router/) and change your router. Might be the best thing to do as this will work for all computers connecting through your net connection.

Is it strange that this would happen on one machine, and not another, both connected via the same router?

edit : or is it stranger that it would flip between happening/not happening on a Windows 7 Machine

(will that Vista Fix work for Windows 7 do you think?)

Is it strange that this would happen on one machine, and not another, both connected via the same router?

Nope, they could both be using different DNS servers pretty easily.

Google have very kindly flushed their records for b-static.net for us so anyone using Google Public DNS should be OK now.

edit : or is it stranger that it would flip between happening/not happening on a Windows 7 Machine

(will that Vista Fix work for Windows 7 do you think?)

It should work fine on windows 7 as they are very similar. Best to use this just to be on the safe side.

https://store.opendns.com/setup/operatingsystem/windows-7

Alternatively, you could use this (https://store.opendns.com/setup/router/) and change your router. Might be the best thing to do as this will work for all computers connecting through your net connection.

This worked, thanks AC

This worked, thanks AC

No worries, man.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement