Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC / NTL on Linux question

• 05-05-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to check if anyone here runs UPC through Linux?

The reason I ask is that I see when running it under Windows that software seems to need be installed, is this only required for the registration of the router / modem with UPC? or does this software need to be launched each time you want to go online?

I use Windows but also have Ubuntu on another machine, I'm wondering can I just run an Ethernet cable into the Ubuntu box the way I currently do (using a Netopia router)

Also, I'm sure that I read on the UPC site that they only support one PC using the router, does that mean that only 1 machine in a household can actively connect to the router at any given time? I highly doubt this is the case but I just wanted to be certain before signing up with them :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I switched over to UPC 30mb about a month back, absolutely no issues under Linux. You don't actually need any software for either OS, not sure why it's listed as needing it.

You can connect as many machines as you want to the router no problem, I've up to 4 at once on my connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭markpb

I connected my UPC box to a Linksys wireless hub and set it up through the web interface - no software was installed on any of PCs or laptops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The software is if you're connected using USB. I use Ethernet (as it's faster). I'm using Linux with UPC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Ah cool, thanks for the info guys, I was hoping it wasn't a case of needing the software on the machine to get online, I know Ethernet should bypass this but just wanted to be certain :)

Out of interest, those of you running on the 30meg option, what average speeds are you hitting?

I'm lucky enough to be in an area which has only been upgraded recently, meaning there's a lot less contention around and I have a constant 28+ meg, even at peak times. Ping times etc. are also vastly improved over DSL for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

They most likly wont offer you support if you ever ring them up and they want you to do some trouble shooting.

No big deal eircom wont either. Well they may have started recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Theta wrote: »
    They most likly wont offer you support if you ever ring them up and they want you to do some trouble shooting.

As long as you know your way around Linux, you just don't tell them you are using it and use the Linux equivalent of the Windows commands. Network troubleshooting is easier and better in Linux than it is in Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

paulm17781 wrote: »
    As long as you know your way around Linux, you just don't tell them you are using it and use the Linux equivalent of the Windows commands. Network troubleshooting is easier and better in Linux than it is in Windows.

I know. im just saying if they find out they wont offer you any support!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

only mobile USB needs software. All real broadband modems and routers, and even satellite is presented as ethernet. No software needs to be installed. All the real network people in real ISPs including UPC are totally familiar with Linux/UNIX.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

watty wrote: »
    only mobile USB needs software. All real broadband modems and routers, and even satellite is presented as ethernet. No software needs to be installed. All the real network people in real ISPs including UPC are totally familiar with Linux/UNIX.

Aye, I figured as much, I've been using a Netopia router for the past few years and reckoned that Linux distros came with built in Ethernet drivers, was worried due to the wording on the UPC website that it was mandatory to install their software (it also makes mention of no Linux support) so I was a bit panicked that their routers worked in a similar manner to the mobile ones where the connection software needed to be manually initiated then you open the browser, if that makes sense?

I'm assuming that an IP address can be entered into a browser to access the ROM / config page of their routers? Also, can anyone advise the exact model they use? I'd like to do a bit of reading up on them.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

I'm assuming that an IP address can be entered into a browser to access the ROM / config page of their routers? Also, can anyone advise the exact model they use? I'd like to do a bit of reading up on them.
    Cisco EPC2425.

Advertisement