Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Arcade stick for 360

Options
  • 05-05-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Heya guys, Just getting started on SSF4 and SF4 and currently using pad, but finding it extremely cumbersome. Hoping to move to stick in July, but want a general idea for price range and models and such. Suggestions p10x?

Also can anyone give me tips for using the pad to reduce the... (cumbersominess?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Cheapest stick is the hori EX2 (40 euro) but the buttons might become dodgy after a few weeks/months. I'll actually be selling an EX2 in june/july (30 euro) if interested. It has sanwa buttons so they wont die.

Mid range is the madcatz SE at around 70 euro and some new hori models (VX) that haven't launched yet.

Top of the range would be the madcatz TE (100+ euro) or the hori real arcade pro (HRAP) at a similar 100+ price.

As for the pad, maybe try a madcatz fightpad instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

animaX wrote: »
    Cheapest stick is the hori EX2 (40 euro) but the buttons might become dodgy after a few weeks/months. I'll actually be selling an EX2 in june/july (30 euro) if interested. It has sanwa buttons so they wont die.

Mid range is the madcatz SE at around 70 euro and some new hori models (VX) that haven't launched yet.

Top of the range would be the madcatz TE (100+ euro) or the hori real arcade pro (HRAP) at a similar 100+ price.

As for the pad, maybe try a madcatz fightpad instead?
    Thanks for the input, I may be interested in buying that stick off you, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the suggestions as well, the only problem is madcatz... Epic fail. Mate of mine got the SFIV fightpad that they released, broke within 3 days. Never buying a madcatz peripheral if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

That's a shame because many of us use the Madcatz TE Stick and the majority have been quite happy with the quality of the product. I wouldn't let one report put you off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

your mate was unlucky I have a fightpad and a TE from madcatz since they were released and not a bother. This range of peripherals have gone a long way to give madcatz a great reputation.

but the hori animax could sell you would be a perfect starter stick, and the buttons he swapped are miles better than the originals

Slugs wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, I may be interested in buying that stick off you, so I'll keep that in mind.

I've modded the artwork so it may or may not be to your liking. This pic was taken when it was modded but the artwork has deteriorated slightly since then.

DSCF5473.jpg

As for madcatz, I used to think they were a cheap brand too (and they probably still are at the lower end of the market) but their high end products, mainly the TE, are class.

• Advertisement

animaX wrote: »
    I've modded the artwork so it may or may not be to your liking. This pic was taken when it was modded but the artwork has deteriorated slightly since then.

DSCF5473.jpg

As for madcatz, I used to think they were a cheap brand too (and they probably still are at the lower end of the market) but their high end products, mainly the TE, are class.
    Sexy ^^. I think I might give it a look. Unfortunately, I've got the LC in June, and I'll be sacrificing interwebz in a last ditch effort to redeem myself (the comfortable thought of Sakura kicking Ken's sweet ass (My rival plays as Ken) shall guide me towards June 25th) So I won't be making any more purchases until July. Soon as it's over, I'll be starting to compete on SF and my other games of choice (Namely halo ^^), Back on topic: If you can hold it til then I'll gladly take it off your hands, but if someone else Offers for it, don't hesitate to take the offer.

And the madcatz problem seems to be a recurring thing with their products. The example I gave is just the first, perhaps as you move up the market, they're quality may improve, but that still doesn't justify why the low end products have such **** quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Apart from the PCB issues or whatever issue it is that causes the RH button to randomly die mid-game until you reconnect the stick

I'll be sacrificing interwebz in a last ditch effort to redeem myself

Tell me about it, I'm supposed to be doing that right now! Have a thesis due in a month.
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Apart from the PCB issues or whatever issue it is that causes the RH button to randomly die mid-game until you reconnect the stick

The madcatz TE you're talking about? Seems to be an issue alright, so many threads on SRK

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd second the Hori for a cheap arcade stick. Have mine for a good few months now and it does the job fine for SF and schmups. I do intend on upgrading in a while to a proper eight button stick. The LB and RB buttons are awkward enough on the Hori, although still far preferable to a Dpad on the whole. But for the price you're paying - they have a number of them in Game Illac Centre for 45 euro I think - it is perfectly serviceable, and a good beginners stick.

Although the more I play the more a TE is mighty tempting...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

Hori EX2 in Game Ilac Centre is €35 as of 10 minutes ago!!!

Got an SF4 pad yesterday in HMV and will stump for a better stick at some point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Thats not a bad price for a starter stick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Did anyone see what prices PS3 TE sticks are in town, any shops?

animaX wrote:
    Tell me about it, I'm supposed to be doing that right now! Have a thesis due in a month.

Good luck with it, what's it on? :)

Thanks to all suggestions so far ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »

Touch wood, to this day this has not happened to mine. the original TE's seem a little less prone to it.

Ramza wrote: »
    Did anyone see what prices PS3 TE sticks are in town, any shops?

HMV are selling the round 2 for 169 i think or maybe 159. Bit expensive in my opinion. They were listed in shopto.net as "in stock" yesterday but they seem to be out of stock now. Thats a great price too.
    Good luck with it, what's it on? :)

mathematics :eek:

Advertisement