Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

International (French) Licence query

• 05-05-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭

Hi,

I've not seen this answered in previous threads. Can anyone help?

My French friend has been resident in Ireland for more than 12mths and plans to stay. Is there a legal requirement to convert her licence to an Irish one?
    Has anyone got a link to a site stating this?

It would seem such a shame to change over from the French licence --- which does not expire! (none of that 10years b.s.)

Any help on this appreciated.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No there isn't. She can keep it as long as it is valid, same goes for licences from every EU country.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Any EU license is ok as long as it's valid.
    When I moved here eons ago, I had a full Jersey (Channel Islands), and a full UK license.
    When I tried to exchange they details of those licenses for an Irish one, I was told I had to take an Irish driving test to obtain an Irish driving license.
    Long story short, the postal strike intervened and I got my Irish license 'free'.
    My C.I. license ran out years ago, but my UK one lasts until I'm 70, and I was allowed to keep it too. (father's UK address on it)
    My partner has decided to get an Irish license as well, and was told that she could also keep her UK license. (mother's UK address on it)
    I can't see any problem in your French friend getting an Irish license, and keeping the French one as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Alun wrote: »
    No there isn't. She can keep it as long as it is valid, same goes for licences from every EU country.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

Not that simple:
    http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving/validity/resident_en.htm?pop=yes&type=survey
    Example Problem:
    Jürgen is 35 and got his German driving licence when he was 20. He has recently moved to Spain. In Germany, licences have an unlimited validity period but in Spain, licences for people under 45 are valid for 10 years only. So Jürgen's 15 year-old licence will not be valid in Spain.

Solution:
    Jürgen will be allowed to drive in Spain for 6 months after registering there as a resident. Before the end of that period, he will need to exchange his German licence for a Spanish one (valid for 10 years, as for Spanish nationals).

Under EU Rules shes required to exchange it if her license is gone beyond the 10 years and she has been resident (lived in Ireland for beyond 185 days with ties in the country) shes required to exchange it within 6 months of becoming resident.

Or she can drive upto a maximum of 10 years from the date of issue in Ireland (or any EU member state) without a problem.

Basically if you have a License from another EU state, once you become resident in another EU state its under their rules, i.e. you'll never have a license beyond the maximum validity issued by where you live.

I had numerous e-mails with Solvit about this ! :)

Interesting, I didn't realise that there were specific rules to do with licences that had a validity of more than 10 years, or never expired at all, and that's the first time it's ever been brought up in any of the discussions here on this subject recently. It seems odd there's no mention of that fact on the relevant websites here too. You learn something new every day.

How did you get to know about this BTW .. you're resident in NL aren't you, where licences are also valid for 10 years?

Not that simple:
    http://ec.europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving/validity/resident_en.htm?pop=yes&type=survey

Under EU Rules shes required to exchange it if her license is gone beyond the 10 years and she has been resident (lived in Ireland for beyond 185 days with ties in the country) shes required to exchange it within 6 months of becoming resident.

Or she can drive upto a maximum of 10 years from the date of issue in Ireland (or any EU member state) without a problem.

Basically if you have a License from another EU state, once you become resident in another EU state its under their rules, i.e. you'll never have a license beyond the maximum validity issued by where you live.
    I had numerous e-mails with Solvit about this ! :)

In some countries like the UK for instance the licence is valid for a very long time but the photocard has to be renewed every 10 years. If you still have a UK address at which to renew the licence I would imagine you could drive indefinitely on it anywhere in the EU as you would have updated your licence. I plan on holding onto my UK licence as long as its beneficial for penalty point avoidance, I only exchanged my Irish one for it last year so I have 10 years anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Interesting, I didn't realise that there were specific rules to do with licences that had a validity of more than 10 years, or never expired at all, and that's the first time it's ever been brought up in any of the discussions here on this subject recently. It seems odd there's no mention of that fact on the relevant websites here too. You learn something new every day.

How did you get to know about this BTW .. you're resident in NL aren't you, where licences are also valid for 10 years?

Dutch licenses are valid till you are 65. After that you ll need to see a doctor and undergo tests and depending on those tests you ll get 1 upto 5 years extension.
    You do need however go for a fresh license every 10 years for an updated picture.
    Unfortunately i had to trade in my Dutch one for an irish one recently. On my Dutch one i could not get points..... and the size is much nicer/handier, credit card size.

inforfun wrote: »
    Dutch licenses are valid till you are 65.
    Mine isn't. Expires in June 2010 in fact. Mind you it's one of the old pink paper ones.

You do need however go for a fresh license every 10 years for an updated picture.
    Unfortunately i had to trade in my Dutch one for an irish one recently. On my Dutch one i could not get points..... and the size is much nicer/handier, credit card size.

Did you not have an address you could use to renew it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Mine isn't. Expires in June 2010 in fact. Mind you it's one of the old pink paper ones.

I know someone who was beyond those 10 years. Renewed his license here no problem as long as he got a proof that he did hold a license from the Dutch testburo (CBR).
    It has to be renewed every 10 years only because of the picture, your license is still valid.

Unfortunately not. Had myself unregistered only last year from my address in Holland.
    Still, would have cost a lot more tnew there. Flights and the cost of the license would have cost me the best part of €200. now i got it done for €25. Just have

To renew a licence in NL you'd have to be registered there. They generally don't do 'having an address' outside of UK and Ireland, you have to register with the local council wherever you are, and re-register when you move house, and unregister when you move abroad. It's much more regulated than here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dutch licenses are valid till you are 65.

I think you're confusing a few things here. Dutch licenses (the standard B license for driving a car) are valid for 10 years. They can be automatically renewed until you are 70, at which point you need a medical. (if you are between 60 and 65 at the last renewal, you get a renewal until you're 70. if you are over 65 at the time of the last renewal, you need a medical check)

The official site confirms what keithclancy is saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

If he or she is obliged to get an Irish license by law, then don't suggest this type of stuff here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bigpoppa89

Im living in france i have a french licence but im irish, ive had my licence for nearly 3 years now but im pretty sure i wont have any points left in a few week's, no points = no licence , is there any way i would be able to swap my frech licence for an irish one??:eek::confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Start a new thread!!!!!!!!!!!

-Corkie- wrote: »
    i dont know how !!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

bigpoppa89 wrote: »
    i dont know how !!!!!!!!

On the Motors main page on the top left of the screen there is a button with `new thread`on it.

One of the lads sorted it for you now..

-Corkie- wrote: »

i keeep trying but cant find new thred button

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement