Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

garda view on height

• 05-05-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi guys, i am considering applying to join the gardai in the next recruitment phase, i know the height size requirement has been removed but i am still quite wary of there view on it, i am only a 5ft 2" and quite thin male and im just wondering have any other small guy applied and was accepted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

Im not a garda but hopefully will be when i go back to do my leaving cert this year.(cant wait)

I would try not to worry bout your height im the same im always trying to measure up to other people standing beside me and gardai walking or standing in a shop on lunch:o and im 5,11 im just so paranoid about my height aswell.

I do know a garda who trains in the same gym as me and he's not more than 5foot 5in.but when you see him in his uniform it doesnt matter what height he is.He still looks the part.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

thank you, height has never been a problem for me at any ability was always able to stand up for myself and compete with the biggest of um, but just worried on there out take on it, for awhile it had stopped me from applying as i was unaware of the change until a family member applied and was accepted who has not alot taller but more heavier which builds him up a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

sitja wrote: »
    Hi guys, i am considering applying to join the gardai in the next recruitment phase, i know the height size requirement has been removed but i am still quite wary of there view on it, i am only a 5ft 2" and quite thin male and im just wondering have any other small guy applied and was accepted?

There's a few blokes that size, don't get hung up on it.

Thanks guys, have never actually seen one myself but all i can do is try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

They recruit females at around that height so no reason why they can't recruit small men as well.

• Advertisement

well physically usually girls are smaller, but point taken, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Question for debate...should the height requirement be brought back in? Why or why not?

well obviously in my opinion i disagree with the height restriction and its discrimination in a democratic country, i am small yet i do physical sports- boxing, though i never fight at fare weight i always weigh in under weight and fight even bigger lads- people dont want to fight at smaller weight and yet they have reach over me it still hasnt been a problem, also through my school years i was fast enough to keep up with the taller lads at running (if not faster) and other physical sports was always capable of playing with the bigger guys. Is it a garda's job to look the part and be of a tall size? OR is it a garda's job to look the part and be physically able to catch a criminal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Stop fixating on your height, you can do nothing about it and if you're fit it won't be an issue. Concentrate on the rest of the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I went out with a girl about 2 years ago who is 5ft 3". Since then she has become a copper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Marshall987

Ya id say once you can complete the physical and all other stages your height will be the last thing on there minds.

if your worried about your weight start lifting weights build some size and you'll fill out very quick.

thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,685 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

i saw a midget garda a few months back

i think you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I saw three guards in a shop yesterday two women and a man, The man
    was about the same height as me (5'9') and the women looked about 5'2/5'3
    I'm sure it wont be a problem for you at all. Don't worry.

Advertisement