Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpaid medical bills

Options
  • 05-05-2010 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey, I've unfortunately got 1200 dollars in unpaid medical bills from 2 years ago from the Massachusetts general hospital and I'm flying into LA in a few weeks. Just wondering would anyone know if I'll run into any problems with immigration? Any info would be great cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

CorkRed86 wrote: »
    Hey, I've unfortunately got 1200 dollars in unpaid medical bills from 2 years ago from the Massachusetts general hospital and I'm flying into LA in a few weeks. Just wondering would anyone know if I'll run into any problems with immigration? Any info would be great cheers!

I'm no expert but I dont think there's a chance in hell.

Usually what happens when a us business is owed money is that it contracts with a collection agency to harass and hound you to pay. After a reasonably length of time the agency will forward your non-paying info to the Credit Reporting Agencies where any future attempt by you to get a credit card or a loan will be treated negativly.

Thats how they get paid. You can blow off the debt in which case you'll never get another credit card or bank loan or mortgage for the est of your life, while they write off the debt. Or you can pay it.

I dont think at any point would your information would be shared with the department of Homeland Security. I dont even think there's any mechanism to do that. Maybe if there were warrents for your arrest, probably not even then though...

SO dont worry.

On another note though, it may be best to pay it off because you never know when the credit agencies will start sharing info or if they even have already. You could find that debt coming back to bite you sometime in your future. It'll be gathering interest and penelties as well, it wont stay static at $1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I agree with InTheTrees, unpaid debts are a civil issue in the US.

It probably would have been a good idea at the time to contact the hospital and ask them what the 'cash' price was. They often settle with insurance companies and cash payers for less than the inital bill amount. You might have been able to sort it out for as little as $600.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

FYI, it will only stay 7 years on your credit. After that, depending on how you've been looking after your credit, it will flatten out from this incident.

lil_lisa wrote: »
    FYI, it will only stay 7 years on your credit. After that, depending on how you've been looking after your credit, it will flatten out from this incident.

Totally forgot about the seven year rule but thats true. Wait it out and it'll be wiped clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CorkRed86

Cheers for all the info lads sounds like im fine so, only other thing is that my girlfriend just reminded me that 3 years ago when we were on a J1 in california I was given a citation for drinking an open beer can on the street, this was followed up by a court summons for a month after I had already gone home. Clearly I wasn't able to attend the court appearance but now I'm worried that this might show up on my record, especially as im flying into CA again. Any ideas if this would affect me? Cheers again!

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the info lads sounds like im fine so, only other thing is that my girlfriend just reminded me that 3 years ago when we were on a J1 in california I was given a citation for drinking an open beer can on the street, this was followed up by a court summons for a month after I had already gone home. Clearly I wasn't able to attend the court appearance but now I'm worried that this might show up on my record, especially as im flying into CA again. Any ideas if this would affect me? Cheers again!

Good God man are there any other skeletons in your closet? Any spells in prison you may have forgotten?

;)

Again I'm guessing but my guess would be your fine. however it may be worth checking, its such a minor offence however failing to appear could make it worse i'm really not sure.

I very much doubt California authorities would share misdemeanor info with homeland security though...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This is called "failure to appear" and may result in your arrest if you are stopped for a traffic ticket or something else. Not sure of the statute of limitations, or if the time limit for this minor offense has expired after 3 years? In any case, we cannot give legal advice on boards (Blue zippers her lip and looks foolish).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 skipper wallace

did you have any problems entering or leaving the usa on account of the unpaid bill??

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Unfortunately he's out in Guantanamo so won't be able to answer.

Unfortunately he's out in Guantanamo so won't be able to answer.

LOL! He's in a cell somewhere vowing revenge against those bast*rds on boards.ie who said it would befine to re-enter the usa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

CLOSED THREAD.

PLEASE START A NEW THREAD INSTEAD OF PULLING UP OLD ONES.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement