Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Falling for a marketing ideal!

• 05-05-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

Have thought over the years of being swayed to 2 wheels rather than 4. I have now fallen for the harley iron 883, and it being learner legal.

Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?

I'm weighing the pros and cons. We are clearly not all sunshine and highways here. I have no bike experience, save from scooters, quads and the odd slow drive of a sportster around a car park, so insurance will possibly be a killer too, though I'm 32 so I've age on my side.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

There's never an ideal time. What I suggest is, as a taster, go and get the ROSPA training. If you drive a cage and you have a grade 2 assessment in your hand, the insurance will be a doddle. You'll also have the tools to pass the driving test and also be a safe rider.

Ask yourself this- if not now, when? I put it off until 26 and the minute I hopped onto my bandit I thought 'why did I wait so long'.

PS- if it's a sportster- you'll be needing some obnoxious cans :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ah don't get a Harley, step in to the store next door and get something with a bit of style :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Ah don't get a Harley, step in to the store next door and get something with a bit of style :cool:

nonsense, just bolt on a supercharger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭cmyk

Cheers guys, will definately look into the ROSPA. I didn't think car insurance carries any sort of clout at all?

I'm no thrill seeker, so sports bikes never attracted me if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

cmyk wrote: »
    ...I didn't think car insurance carries any sort of clout at all...

It doesn't.

What I mean is, if you are an experienced and already a fully licensed car driver, you won't struggle too hard to get the grade 2. If you have the grade 2, you won't struggle to get insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 sv650

Seems like quite a heavy, cumbersome bike for someone starting out, being about 60kg heavier than my SV, for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Harley drivers; the least liked biker of them all - save BMW riders.

Dont fall for the name dude, it's not all its cracked up to be.

Anyone recommend anything similar along the same style? All the reviews I've read/seen online have been great. It's a great looking bike (imo), I wouldn't be a fan of any of their other range really.

Resale value looks to be pretty good on the sportsters in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Anyone recommend anything similar along the same style? All the reviews I've read/seen online have been great. It's a great looking bike (imo), I wouldn't be a fan of any of their other range really.

Find a review of the bike from Europe and come back to us. Americans view their bikes rides as a few turns and a long stretch of open road. Unless you plan to go up and down our few motorways all day long, riding a bike in Ireland is completely different. You going to have ignorant drivers, potholes bigger then your front wheel, manhole covers placed in the most dangerous places and more turns and bumps then you can shake your head at.

Ohh yeah, and my understanding of Harely resale values is that yes they do somewhat keep their value. All bikes seem to. But finding a buyer for a old Harley at a couple of thousand and a old (insert model) at 2 or 3k and you will find yourself selling it for quite a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Anyone recommend anything similar along the same style?.

Yamaha Virago 250

33472GE5V6360.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 NC27

Having car insurance can help reduce cost. With quinn if you have both car and bike insured you get a discount and with aon ( i think its aon) if you have a car insured at present you get a discount allso.

Find a review of the bike from Europe and come back to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0UXZS_lwgI
    I have no idea whether his opinion is of any value or not though, series of 3 vid diaries, have a few more european reviews in my bookmarks at home, will dig em out later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Get a Ducati 620 Monster, great litle learner bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

+1

Things I want from Triumph:

T100
    t100_overview_main_2008.jpg

Scrambler
    Scrambler07-profild-l685.jpg

Things I have from Triumph:

Eh...a jacket. Says Triumph on it and all.

Nononono, this is the only Triumph you want.

triumph-thruxton-se.jpg

:cool:

That Thruxton looks gorgeous, but I don't like the seating position on them.

I still want one now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

jameshayes wrote: »
    Harley drivers; the least liked biker of them all - save BMW riders.

Dont fall for the name dude, it's not all its cracked up to be.

Well, quite frankly, stfu. I say this as, having gone through 32 (yes, Thirty Two) bikes in the last no. years, I eventually 'tried' a Harley. And you know what, it's a hoot. And a frickin' good hoot at that. Every time I get off it, I'm laughing on the inside......and sometimes on the outside as well. Given the **** this country is in right now, that's no bad thing. I'm no TT rider, but I can hustle my Big Twin faster than most can their ordinary bike.........but that's not why I bought it. I bought it because I'm not blinkered, and so long as it's got an engine and two wheels, I'm all for it. That the H-D was the most expensive yoke I've ever bought, now, doesn't matter a jot. It has also turned out to be the one bike which I can honestly say I wouldn't change for anything else. I'll add to the collection, yes, but the H-D is staying. Which is a bit of a world record, for me. I ride it hail, rain, sleet and snow. I washed it once all winter. I drove through 2' deep water in the floods to get to work, when cars were getting stuck. It's not made of chocolate, and mine doesn't vibrate, either....

And lads, I won't deride whatever it is you ride, either. I'm not that myopic.

CMYK - ignore the nay-sayers. But you do realise you can ride a Big Twin on a provisional as well, i.e. you don't have to get a Sportster - but I do admit they're cheaper. You can ride a Heritage Softail on a provisional........

Find a review of the bike from Europe and come back to us. Americans view their bikes rides as a few turns and a long stretch of open road. Unless you plan to go up and down our few motorways all day long, riding a bike in Ireland is completely different. You going to have ignorant drivers, potholes bigger then your front wheel, manhole covers placed in the most dangerous places and more turns and bumps then you can shake your head at.

Ohh yeah, and my understanding of Harely resale values is that yes they do somewhat keep their value. All bikes seem to. But finding a buyer for a old Harley at a couple of thousand and a old (insert model) at 2 or 3k and you will find yourself selling it for quite a while.
    All bikes ? That's a new one to me: please advise.

CMYK - don't buy ANY bike as an investment. They ALL depreciate, so don't ruin the experience with that. Buy it, Ride it, keep it or sell it, Get Another one. Just keep going !
    MikeC101 wrote: »
    +1

Things I want from Triumph:

T100

Scrambler

Both lovely, my wife even used to have ahem a Real T100....but enough of that.......Scrambler gorgeous. Only two issues imho: price, and learner-legality. Triumph would probably be more expensive to insure, too, I'd say.......but do check.

CMYK - the other upside of H-D's at the moment is that there's a huge amount of them for sale. The Celtic Tiger put a lot of them in garages, so there's loads to look at, and people are keen to liquidate stuff. You couldn't have picked a better time to buy, tbh.... Don't buy the first one you see if you're not 100% happy about it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

That Thruxton looks gorgeous, but I don't like the seating position on them.

I still want one now though.

I agree about the riding position..........just change the bars, and off you go !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Both lovely, my wife even used to have ahem a Real T100....but enough of that.......Scrambler gorgeous. Only two issues imho: price, and learner-legality. Triumph would probably be more expensive to insure, too, I'd say.......but do check.

Good points, didn't even think of that. Would have thought they're fairly well priced for a new bike though? Not many second hand ones around though.
    I agree about the riding position..........just change the bars, and off you go !

I don't know what it is - the Thruxton looks fabulous, really has the "wow" factor, but I'm drawn to the T100 every time!

For the moment my W650 will do - it even has a kick starter, for when I want to look like an idiot and almost fall off the bike.

Thanks galwaytt. Glad to hear a more positive review of H-D.

Having never ridden before I'm surprised at the reputation they seem to have. As I said I don't really have an interest in sports bikes or even the bigger harleys if I'm honest. I don't know why, but the sportster iron has sucked me in. Problem is it's a new model this year so second handers are thin on the ground.

I might just get some training behind me and hang on buying until early next year, and hope there may be a few on the market, there was one on done deal a few weeks ago, but didn't seem to hang around long. I do know someone who bought a sportster in Jan and got quite a fair bit off the list price.

I haven't seen a better looking (or sounding) bike for 8k new either.
    Harley_Iron_883.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Have thought over the years of being swayed to 2 wheels rather than 4. I have now fallen for the harley iron 883, and it being learner legal.

Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?

I'm weighing the pros and cons. We are clearly not all sunshine and highways here. I have no bike experience, save from scooters, quads and the odd slow drive of a sportster around a car park, so insurance will possibly be a killer too, though I'm 32 so I've age on my side.

Question 1 - What do you want a bike for?
    Do you want to ride to work and back, ie commute?
    Do you want to go for a blast on a Sunday?
    Do you want to do a bit of weekend touring?
    Do you just want to go to the shops and back?

Last year I got a bike.
    When I was looking at bikes, I thought H-D were 'nice', and that the 883 might be the bike for me.
    The 883 is very expensive, not very powerfull, and will loose that 'show room shine' very quick.
    The 883 has a very small fuel tank, so is not ideal for touring.
    The 883 is the entry H-D - the smallest and cheapest H-D.

Actually, that's class - I love the 'fat' look.

Mind you, don't count on them getting cheaper. The euro hit a new low against the dollar today, which means anything traded in dollar's is going to go up.

If they have what you want, and you're happy to pay for it, do so. Next year I'll wager they'll all cost a lot more.........

8k isn't a lot for a new bike like that, tbh......I'd say that price is based on the old weak dollar.........

Ode To The Motorist

For the moment my W650 will do - it even has a kick starter, for when I want to look like an idiot and almost fall off the bike.

W650, I was going to suggest that to OP except for his heart was set on a Sporster. W650 is a good, and good-looking, bike.

Blends in nicely, dontchathink ? :)

575952648_NhmjG-M-1.jpg

Even looks good in black & white......cue artistic fuzzy camera phone pic....:D

575952646_9sEHq-M.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

P.C. wrote: »
    Question 1 - What do you want a bike for?
    Do you want to ride to work and back, ie commute?
    Yes...less than 8miles each way
    Do you want to go for a blast on a Sunday?
    Yes...possibly the main attraction
    Do you want to do a bit of weekend touring?
    Hadn't crossed my mind, but I doubt it

The 883 is very expensive, not very powerfull, and will loose that 'show room shine' very quick.
    Price is the only worry there to be honest, I'm a pussy which is why I'm ruling out a sports bike, and it's a black bike, bikes ought to be dirty though?
    The 883 has a very small fuel tank, so is not ideal for touring.
    Slightly worrying, but how small are we talking?

What bike did you buy in the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

What bike did you buy in the end?

I bought a Honda.

I only use it to go the the shops - actualy, only twice, but I enjoyed both times. :D

The 883 has a 12.5 litre tank.

If you are looking for a bike to use for a comute and a Sunday blast, there are plenty of bikes out there that will fit that bill better than the 883.
    There is plenty of time for you to get a H-D.

Remeber that your first bike is the bike that you are going to learn on.
    Spending €8K on a first bike is a huge gamble - you are better off pending €2K on second hand bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Nononono, this is the only Triumph you want.
    nononon THIS is the only Triumph you want :D
    triumph_daytona_se_1.jpg

I bought a Honda.

Pfft Jap scrap, get the hell outta my showroom :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The 883 has a 12.5 litre tank.

Including the reserve? That's pretty small. But on a 8 mile commute it's not that bad. Refill once a week?
    All bikes ? That's a new one to me: please advise.

CMYK - don't buy ANY bike as an investment. They ALL depreciate, so don't ruin the experience with that. Buy it, Ride it, keep it or sell it, Get Another one. Just keep going !

You seem to have a few cars and bikes and a bit of money. Good for you. Other people might not be in the same position and might factor value for money into what they buy. I have nothing against a good bike, but HD is famous for being overpriced and rightly so.

From what I can see the best end of the market is in the 2-4k price range. The devaluation on these bikes is close to non-existent per year when compared to newer models. But Harley's start high and keep a high constant level of depreciation throughout the years. This particular bike might not be the same as it starts in a similar price range to other marques.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

The misinterpretation of a learner license is crazy:
    do insurance agree on the "harleys are ok for new riders" deal.

I was around back in the day and it seemed clear the bhp-weight thing was to stop injected little beasts like the rs125 being learner legal.

Wonder what that cop in cork thinks.

• Advertisement

You seem to have a few cars and bikes and a bit of money. Good for you. Other people might not be in the same position and might factor value for money into what they buy. I have nothing against a good bike, but HD is famous for being overpriced and rightly so.

From what I can see the best end of the market is in the 2-4k price range. The devaluation on these bikes is close to non-existent per year when compared to newer models. But Harley's start high and keep a high constant level of depreciation throughout the years. This particular bike might not be the same as it starts in a similar price range to other marques.

..you have no idea what my circumstances are, and you're being incredibly presumptuous.....but allow me to enlighten you......I'm PAYE.... I don't drink, I don't smoke. On 10-a-day and maybe one round a week, that's 3k a year I DON'T spend anywhere else. Bikes soak that up quite nicely.

Yes, I have a nice car. A really nice car. But it's 17 years old. And cost half the price of a Focus. It costs €320 a year to insure it. Again, cheaper than a Focus, I'd wager.

The H-D big Twins are expensive, no doubt about it. But there again, they're not made in China. I saved for 5 years for the H-D, in advance, and bought it for cash. No finance. No interest, so that's another 2k/3k saved, then. So that's 2k/3k less I could sell it for, compared to any other one on the market of the same size and age, and still be even-steven, or quids ahead even. And remember, they cost more to buy, but you get more when you sell, so cost-to-change is the only arbiter, and on that score, they are arguably cheaper to buy and own than anything else.

Of the bikes I do have kept for keeps, my Suzuki I bought in March 1991, for £2000, then, so it's safe to say it owes me nothing. My Aprilia I bought in 2004 for €4.3k. Again, it owes me nothing......(actually it does, but that's a whole other ball of wax......). My Vespa 125 I bought in 1993 for £400, and I can guarantee you it owes me zero. the H-D, you know about. The trial and enduro all bought used off eBay, have now depreciated to zero, so anything I get is brownie points, really. And they weren't dear in the first place. All the other bikes that have come and gone in the last, say, 10 years, have cost me, on average, about €1500 per year, all in. That is less than the smokes-and-drinks, above........but I'm off that 'roundabout' now, for other reasons.

All of which proves that there is a huge difference between price and value. I have, imho, great value, in my vehicle(s). I can look out in the garage of an evening and say 'oh, that's where all the €€ went, then...' Which is more than could be said if I had, say, shares in a Bank............I much prefer to manage my own €€€, thanks very much, 'cos we know those **** can't.....

Now, you are right about the 2k -4k range offering fantastic value now - if that's what you're in to Late '90's CBR's and GSX-R's, ZXR's are all fab value, BeeEmm's even. But if that's not what you're into, it matters not a jot. I wouldn't buy a 2k H-D if I came across it, anyway. It'd be that cheap for a reason, and life's to short to buy .......shed's........if CMYK buys that 883 for 8k, and keeps if for 5 years, and gets, say, 3k for it, then, that's only 1k a year. For a brand new, good, bike, with a factory warranty, that's good value. Because the China yoke will never get to year 5...........

CMYK - btw, yes the tank is small, but more than adequate for your use. There again, you can get it with a bigger tank - even off eBay. Like handlebars, all that stuff is changeable.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement