Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You see that there is a hidden agenda behind most capitalist strategys yet you say i am paranoid to call it deceptive.

It is deceptive to operate one way but to be really operating differently behind closed doors & keep that from people.
    Sorry i meant to have hidden agenda in inverted commas("Hidden agenda")

Its not deceptive,its marketing dude.Do you really think the bulmers worker all wear little waistcoats and work in a stone built building?Its selling an image of tradition(which is probably long gone)
    People really dont want to know the nitty gritty about a company.People dont want to see the steel shed and clinical way in which bulmers is made.
    It wouldnt appeal to people

But this isnt wrong,there nothing sinister about this process of brewing its just not gonna sell the brand.

Same way a butcher doesnt have videos of the slaughterhouse playing on screens when you go to there shop

Of course there are people who pus this to the limit but it doesnt bother me and i dont percieve as deception in a sinister way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭cochineal

I feel cheated. I thought this thread was about ADHESIVE
    history and nomenclature. Thought i'd finally found others interested in adhesive and tack, drying time, flexibility, ageing properties ......anyone? anyone? anyone? anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

cochineal, how do you spell sellotape?

that's how we got the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭cochineal

Well, since you asked, Sellotape. But as it was originally made from cellophane which is made from cellulose it should probably be cellotape. I feel this is a trick question though ......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

seannash wrote: »
    Its not deceptive,its marketing dude.Do you really think the bulmers worker all wear little waistcoats and work in a stone built building?Its selling an image of tradition(which is probably long gone)
    People really dont want to know the nitty gritty about a company.People dont want to see the steel shed and clinical way in which bulmers is made.
    It wouldnt appeal to people

What:eek: you mean thats not the real apple tree in the ad:mad:

On that note i read a while back that Bulmers use a large quantity of pulped apples from brazil shipped over for their Cider now, deceptive bastards:D

On another note, i went into the protest today foor 4 hours, listened to the adrian kennedy phone show here as my co worker wanted to & it was about people from affluent/poosh backgrounds dating people from disadvantaged areas. The birds on representing the affluent side & the birds & guys on reresenting the other made almost lose the will to live, i felt cheated that i spent four of my hours outside Dail Eireann shouting obsenities at the gates for this part of our society aswell as the rest of us:mad:

• Advertisement

What:eek: you mean thats not the real apple tree in the ad:mad:

On that note i read a while back that Bulmers use a large quantity of pulped apples from brazil shipped over for their Cider now, deceptive bastards:D

On another note, i went into the protest today foor 4 hours, listened to the adrian kennedy phone show here as my co worker wanted to & it was about people from affluent/poosh backgrounds dating people from disadvantaged areas. The birds on representing the affluent side & the birds & guys on reresenting the other made almost lose the will to live, i felt cheated that i spent four of my hours outside Dail Eireann shouting obsenities at the gates for this part of our society aswell as the rest of us:mad:
    doubt any affluent person of average intelligence listens to the Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow tbh.

jtsuited wrote: »
    doubt any affluent person of average intelligence listens to the Adrian Kennedy Phoneshow tbh.

Hence my dismay when listening, that was my point, severley lacking not just intelligence but frighteningly ignorant, naive & superficial.

Just on the protest last night, at the beginning at the Wolftone monument this was playing which went down a treat with all the protesters,

I might just add, a little late on the issue we were discussing around deception, do you not think the whole affair with our banks over the last two years was deceptive?
    Drip fed lie after lie & well in advance of the 'bailout' it was decided we were going that route but again lie after lie right up to the day before it actually happened.

One pensioner coined it perfectly at an EGM of AIB back when this all began, he said,

'weve been treated like mushrooms by the managment of AIB & the government, kept in the dark a fed a load of shi.te'

Deception is the order of the day i am sorry to confirm.

George Orwell
    "In times of universal deceit, Telling the truth will become a revolutionary act"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Sorry I disappeared mid-conversation last night. I was shattered and went to bed early. Just after reading back through the various posts.

I'm not denying that OPEC and the diamond industry artificially manipulate prices - because it's clear they do. I was asking you to prove that basic food prices were being forced higher by greedy capitalists.

Initially, I posted a quick note about how rising ethanol demand, and hence corn prices, was pushing up the cost of basic food supplies. Is Mise then asserted that this was due to deception. I disagreed and asked him to prove it. And as Sean said, clever marketing isn't what I would call deception.

There are way too many independent variables involved to be able to artificially raise basic food prices globally. And capitalism isn't just about rising prices - it's more about reducing costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ianuss wrote: »
    I was asking you to prove that basic food prices were being forced higher by greedy capitalists.
    Well in fairness, supermarkets do price fix. Sure isn't there always a big deal every year when they do that sample shopping thing with all the big supermarkets and all the prices end up being the same.

And with regards to the nuclear power debate - I'd agree with JT. In the Western developed world we are currently enjoying the highest ever living standard - in history, ever! We're living longer, suffer from less diseases, have the lowest ever infant mortality rates, the highest educational standards etc etc etc. The problem is, 'nuclear' is a dirty word.

I mentioned it before, this is a great book on the subject http://www.amazon.com/Risk-Science-Politics-Dan-Gardner/dp/1905264151/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_2

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well in fairness, supermarkets do price fix. Sure isn't there always a big deal every year when they do that sample shopping thing with all the big supermarkets and all the prices end up being the same.

Agreed. But that's at the local level. Not global.

Where is the conspiracy? with all the professsional people running the show do you really beleive that the way things unnfold are left to chance?
    Economies are controlled, created & when nearing the end of their natural cycle prepared for in advance, thats not a conspiracy, thats how capitalism works:confused:

I don't believe that to be true. It's an argument high in rhetoric, low on fact. In order for me to start to believe that, you'd need to be able to back it up with some evidence.

There isn't a bunch of reptillian headed capitalists controlling global markets from the centre of the moon :pac:

Agreed. But that's at the local level. Not global.
    Do you honestly believe that just because it's on a bigger scale it doesn't happen?

Ever see the The Informant about Mark Whitacre? Great movie, but it is proof that it goes on.

right lads, keep up the arguments. pulled an all nighter to try and rectify my sleeping pattern (the snow has cancelled all my part-time work so as per usual i've become nocturnal) so now have a long day ahead.
    I expect much merriment and craic in this here thread....

global capitalism being controlled by a shady elite of greed driven deviants (who may or may not be reptiles)?

Personally, I find the bildeberg type arguments flaky in the extreme, but at least entertaining.

There isn't a bunch of reptillian headed capitalists controlling global markets from the centre of the moon :pac:

Yeah but that's like your opinion man.

Where is the conspiracy? with all the professsional people running the show do you really beleive that the way things unnfold are left to chance?

And that's why I think it would be near impossible to regulate global food prices with certainty like you're suggesting. Too many independent variables. Too many actors/events/unpredictableness involved.

For example,I like to gamble. And even in a sport like tennis, where there are only 2 players (independent variables).........maybe an umpire, the players coaches, you could maybe add the crowd.......you can't predict with total certainty who will win. There are too many other things that you have no control over which could affect the outcome - ie., what one of the players maybe had for breakfast, whether a player has something on his mind which could affect his performance. The list is endless. And that's my point.

And that's why I think it would be near impossible to regulate global food prices with certainty like you're suggesting. Too many independent variables. Too many actors/events/unpredictableness involved.

For example,I like to gamble. And even in a sport like tennis, where there are only 2 players (independent variables).........maybe an umpire, the players coaches, you could maybe add the crowd.......you can't predict with total certainty who will win. There are too many other things that you have no control over which could effect the outcome - ie., what one of the maybe had for breakfast, whether a player has something on his mind which could affect his performance. The list is endless. A that's my point.
    tennis is the most excruciatingly boring sport to watch but if you've money on the underdog at a good price, it's a great buzz altogether.
    one of the big betting markets at the moment actually, probably because it's the perfect sport for gambling.

Do you honestly believe that just because it's on a bigger scale it doesn't happen?

Yes. Until I see non-Hollywood related evidence I'll continue to believe that.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    tennis is the most excruciatingly boring sport to watch but if you've money on the underdog at a good price, it's a great buzz altogether.
    one of the big betting markets at the moment actually, probably because it's the perfect sport for gambling.

Na, tennis is sh1t. I never bet on it - cos then I'd be forced to watch it. And the bookies give ridiculous odds oin the 'win/lose' markets. The top players are regularly 1/100 on. Why in the name of God would anyone risk 100 units to win 1?

Tennis was just an example I used as there's only 2 players.

Yes. Until I see non-Hollywood related evidence I'll continue to believe that.
    I'm sorry that's BS. You asked for evidence and when you get it you dismiss it as Hollywood nonsense. It's based on a true story. The evidence is there, you can choose to dismiss it if you wish. There are plenty of other cases out there too.

Personally I'm not one for the conspiracy theories, but price fixing happens in all business. It's obviously not talked about, for obvious reasons, but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

David_Icke_is_your_friend.jpg

I'm sorry that's BS. You asked for evidence and when you get it you dismiss it as Hollywood nonsense. It's based on a true story. The evidence is there, you can choose to dismiss it if you wish. There are plenty of other cases out there too.

Personally I'm not one for the conspiracy theories, but price fixing happens in all business. It's obviously not talked about, for obvious reasons, but it does happen.

Fair enough, it wasa fairly flippant remark on my part. Price-fixing happens. The example you gave contains price-fixing in one industry. I have trouble believing that there are people out there who control global prices, as in controlling many markets.

I don't think there is a group of people out there in control of the global economy. I totally accept that there are greedy individuals/companies out there looking to generate profits in their own sector, but I don't think there are any puppet-masters out there pulling the strings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

You're right, price fixing happens in every industry if it is not regulated. Enron is the classic example:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1972574.stm

But what bugs me most is the whole international bankers controlling everything conspiracy that people are paying more heed to these days. A lot of people are starting to blame what's happening in Ireland on this. Jim Corr is the new folk hero. We laughed when he predicted this but look how true he was, they say. But I put it this way. If I say its going to rain soon because God is sad over all the little black babies in Africa and it rains. Does the fact I predicted the outcome prove my theory to be correct. Nobody can disprove it to me logically because I know that their arguments are what they are being fed by non-Christians to keep them under control. Am I still right?

Surely with all the players in all the countries making so many deals in the global economy, there would be some people coming forward to tell us about this group of International bankers who control the world? What about some names?

This conspiracy theory is just one that has evolved from the same line of thinking that lead to the persecution of the Jews in Germany and is part of western culture for centuries. The notion that Jewish people or Zionists control all the money in the world and making everyone else suffer. Now Jim Corr makes no mention of the Zionists but scratch beneath the surface and this is essentially where the theory is coming from.

Fair enough, it wasa fairly flippant remark on my part. Price-fixing happens. The example you gave contains price-fixing in one industry. I have trouble believing that there are people out there who control global prices, as in controlling many markets.

I don't think there is a group of people out there in control of the global economy. I totally accept that there are greedy individuals/companies out there looking to generate profits in their own sector, but I don't think there are any puppet-masters out there pulling the strings.

I don’t believe that there’s just one group overseeing the whole conspiracy in a one world illuminati set up, but I most definitely believe that there are many many smaller groups that are doing it. But yeah, that’s just greed, and it’s one of the products of a capitalist model.

Jim Corr is a nut, albeit an amusing one, the problem with some conspiracy theories, such as the protocols of the elders of zion is that they have been used to justify mass murder.
    I just don't get the 9/11 inside job nonsense either-There would have been too many people involved for it to work

Disclaimer-i do not work for big corp/pharma/govt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

That's just an obvious stitch-up
    I have to love the irony of this http://www.facebook.com/WPFD2011

Hosted in the US

I quote

World Press Freedom Day provides an opportunity to defend journalists and media organisations from attacks on their independence; to evaluate the state of press freedom around the world; and to pay tribute to those brave journalists who have lost their lives in the exercise of their profession.

• Advertisement

But what bugs me most is the whole international bankers controlling everything conspiracy that people are paying more heed to these days. A lot of people are starting to blame what's happening in Ireland on this. Jim Corr is the new folk hero. We laughed when he predicted this but look how true he was, they say. But I put it this way. If I say its going to rain soon because God is sad over all the little black babies in Africa and it rains. Does the fact I predicted the outcome prove my theory to be correct. Nobody can disprove it to me logically because I know that their arguments are what they are being fed by non-Christians to keep them under control. Am I still right?
    It’s funny that you compare the banks to religion. I’m of the belief that, just like religion, it’s easier for the average person to believe that there’s someone in charge controlling (or in this case, fvcking up) the whole thing. It’s just too difficult to believe that there are many factors contributing to the mess. Much easier to pin it on the man at the top, there’s always a boss. I think it’s an innate attribution of the human condition to simplify complex set ups into something easier to comprehend.

Advertisement