Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yeah back today, had a nice break but could not sleep last night for some reason - looking at the clock every 20 minutes..
    The talk in work now is everybody is bracing themselves when they open there pay check next week.
    Dreading that alright. We don't get paid till the last working day of the month, so there's a bit of a way to go until I find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

joker77 wrote: »
    Dreading that alright. We don't get paid till the last working day of the month, so there's a bit of a way to go until I find out.

Ouch. Oh wait you just got paid, jammy fecker. Midmonth for me so some 1.5 weeks of being broke still to go. Thankfully have me Bob Hope to help pass the time.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I'll find out on Thursday. Hopefully it's not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Every 2 weeks myself, i think where going to get hammered.

SteoL wrote: »
    Ouch. Oh wait you just got paid, jammy fecker. Midmonth for me so some 1.5 weeks of being broke still to go. Thankfully have me Bob Hope to help pass the time.:p
    Nah we're paid early for Christmas - was paid on the 22nd December, not paid again till the 31st Jan - nearly 6 weeks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ugh don't remind me. A bonus I was due in December did not come through due to some balls up. Now I get in in January but I'll have to pay much bigger taxes on it now, fantastic.

Over the xmas I met loads of my mates who live overseas and just don't have to think about this type of thing. Some live in crappy countries and live on peanuts - but just seem to have a real cruisy life - I'm so tempted every day to just chuck it all in and go be a beach bum for the rest of my life..

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Sh1t I forgot about that too, won't be nice seeing how much it hits when I'm paid at the end of the month. Actually forgot about recession etc over Christmas too - dreading the harsh reality of it all now when I'm back to work...

And now for something on a lighter note (on a Mafioso side of lighter!)

Can't wait for this!
    Al Pacino and Joe Pesci will join Robert De Niro in crime drama The Irishman.

Directed by Martin Scorsese, Irishman will be De Niro’s ninth time working with the legendary auteur, and finds the actor playing renowned Mafia hitman Frank ‘The Irishman’ Sheeran.

Both Pacino and Pesci were rumoured to be involved, but De Niro confirmed it once and for all during an interview with MTV.

“We do have the one that we’re definitely doing,” he told them. “Me, Joe Pesci, Pacino and Marty Scorsese directing.”
    | TotalFilm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

when my kids are finished college and self-sufficient then I plan on going back to spend my last few decades in Noosa, Queensland, Australia. The only place I've wanted to be for the last few years.

In the interim, I'm pissing off to Berlin again tomorrow for another few days doing field recordings and partying. As per a suggestion from I think Leif Ericson when I was going last Oct., I'll be checking out the disused haunted amusement park (scooby doo :p) Treptower Park. If anyone else has thoughts on places that may have cool natural sounds around Berlin then I'd love to hear them, many thanks.

Is "field recordings" a euphemism?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Not expecting January/February to be a fun time for DJing/promotion, seeing as a lot of people will be spending their time crying over their bank balances instead of going out. I don't exactly pay tax though, so **** it.

old gregg wrote: »
    when my kids are finished college and self-sufficient then I plan on going back to spend my last few decades in Noosa, Queensland, Australia. The only place I've wanted to be for the last few years.

In the interim, I'm pissing off to Berlin again tomorrow for another few days doing field recordings and partying. As per a suggestion from I think Leif Ericson when I was going last Oct., I'll be checking out the disused haunted amusement park (scooby doo :p) Treptower Park. If anyone else has thoughts on places that may have cool natural sounds around Berlin then I'd love to hear them, many thanks.

Haunted amusement park? :eek: You have to make sure to get those recordings at about 2am... having had a big fck off spliff and on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Dail not back until 14th so we were told we may escape this month given this is our payday and more likely the finance bill won't have gone through. Could be wrong on that. And they may just back date it and take it in Feb if that does happen which would probably just piss me off more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Does anybody here actually believe in hauntings/spirits/the occult? I would love to visit somewhere that's supposedly haunted just to see what all the fuss is about because outside of watching a movie, or under the influence of watching a movie I can't say I've ever felt scared. Actually now that I think of it that's not strictly true as I had an experience with a Ouija board when I was 16 that scared the crap out of me but that's about it and it didn't change my view that there is no such thing as spirits/etc.

No it's all nonsense. Although, it doesn't stop me getting freaked out if the circumstances are right. But that'd be more down to social conditioning over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I don't believe in spirits and ghosts and all that business but I love horror movies. I do then to spook myself in darkened rooms and the like but that's just because I'm so good looking and I'm afraid some fat ugly bird is going to jump on me and rape me. It's called Megalo-caco-ornitho-vitricophobia. It's a devastating condition to have…

I would say in general no, I don't believe in Ghosts / Spirits etc.

What I do definitely believe though, is that people see them. It's perfectly acceptable for me for a situation to exist whereby a person is in a heightened state of awareness, scared and pumped full of adrenalin (brain in fight or flight mode), and then the brain conjures up something. While they are experiencing this - they have no way of telling if the apparition is real or not - because they are seeing it with their own eyes / hearing it with their own ears etc, even if it isn't really there - their perception is that it is _right_there_ in front of them.

Scary sh*t what the brain can do. I don't f*ck around with that stuff too much - don't go out of the way to give myself scares. I reckon it's a thin enough line for me between sanity and insanity without trying to tip myself over the edge!

When I was about 15 I 'saw' something. It was a full life sized silhouette in a doorway - totally black because the light was coming from behind it. Put it this way - I was only about 10 feet away, close enough to not have gotten it confused with something else - but there was nobody there. This wasn't a ghost, it was more like a hallucination.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

When I was about 15 I 'saw' something. It was a full life sized silhouette in a doorway - totally black because the light was coming from behind it. Put it this way - I was only about 10 feet away, close enough to not have gotten it confused with something else - but there was nobody there. This wasn't a ghost, it was more like a hallucination.

were you have awake or just woken up? These are quite common in such a state, especially in younger people, they are often called night hags

I do then to spook myself in darkened rooms and the like

Might be related?

What I do definitely believe though, is that people see them.
    That should really read, "people think they see them"

francois wrote: »
    they are often called night hags

I thought that was the name of the fat ugly birds that want to rape…

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    were you have awake or just woken up? These are quite common in such a state, especially in younger people, they are often called night hags
    It was around midnight - I was sneaking out of the house in Irish college. I hadn't been asleep I don't think, no

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That should really read, "people think they see them"
    Technically yes. But also technically - most of what we see around us, is just what we 'think' we see. For example, colour perception - it's different for a lot of people (colour blindness for example) - one person's red is different to the next.

Everything around us, it's just our own brains unique perception of it. It's not a true picture of what the world is really like.

Technically yes. But also technically - most of what we see around us, is just what we 'think' we see. For example, colour perception - it's different for a lot of people (colour blindness for example) - one person's red is different to the next.

Everything around us, it's just our own brains unique perception of it. It's not a true picture of what the world is really like.
    Ah now, you're splitting hairs now. You can say anything is a perception of what we see. Sure the true image we see through the lens of the eye is an upside down image but the brain inverts the image so we all don't think we're bats.

The point still stands that people may truly believe that they've seen a ghost (or whatever) but that doesn't make it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

SuprSi wrote: »
    Does anybody here actually believe in hauntings/spirits/the occult? I would love to visit somewhere that's supposedly haunted just to see what all the fuss is about because outside of watching a movie, or under the influence of watching a movie I can't say I've ever felt scared. Actually now that I think of it that's not strictly true as I had an experience with a Ouija board when I was 16 that scared the crap out of me but that's about it and it didn't change my view that there is no such thing as spirits/etc.

A few years back i was awoken by something pulling my duvet cover off me and vaguely remember fighting with it trying to pull it back over me. My wife and daughter where asleep in the other room that night and the scary thing is - the next morning my wife asked - did you experience anything last night, she had experienced the exact same thing!:) scary or what :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ah now, you're splitting hairs now. You can say anything is a perception of what we see. Sure the true image we see through the lens of the eye is an upside down image but the brain inverts the image so we all don't think we're bats.

The point still stands that people may truly believe that they've seen a ghost (or whatever) but that doesn't make it so.
    ha ha - yea I know, was just making a point about what we see vs what we think we see.

Yes I take your point - it doesn't make it so - the ghost didn't actually exist. But from the person who sees it's point of view - it may as well have - in their mind it did.

I don't know… I think that we can pretty much arrive a general consensus that we in the main see things the same. If this was not true, we would have common consensus on traffic lights, warning signs, art and other visual information. While we can philosophically ask 'Do you see brown the same as me?' the truth is you will in about 95% of cases. If you show bright green red on a bright red background, usually anyone with colour blindness won't be able to see anything but to the rest of us it is an awful, glaring and clashing mess. While we all have our own colour preferences we all can agree on what is orange, yellow, blue etc…

Obviously people with Synesthesia and people who have colour blindness are going to perceive things differently. Colour blindness, beside monochromacy, where people see colours differently really only affects men and is usually confined to Red/Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

One of the lads on EMI found this. Absolutely brilliant.

http://www.adverts.ie/property-sharing/49-beech-road-bray/361044

The logical side of me doesn't believe in ghosts etc even though I experienced a couple of things as a kid - I tend to put it down now to the the brain in its early development stages along with eyes playing tricks etc.

Its interesting with kids though, both of ours have spoken about people in the room or looking in the window at them - my daughter used to speak a lot about a 'man' watching us - she would laugh and point at 'him' and say he was smiling or something... another time she wanted to know who the little girl was in the back garden... she doesn't now, this was when she was about 3 or 4. Now our son who is almost 3 sometimes refers to what he calls the 'lolling'! - The lolling seems to reside at the top of the curtain rail in our sitting room and when we ask if this lolling says anything, our son said that he only sings - 'lala lala lala lala' :D ... He won't go near that part of the room, I asked him to point out where this lolling was and he started crying and wouldn't go near that area! Its weird when it happens because you know that there can't be anything there but the kids are so sure of it and you can actually see by them that they think they see something.

Your kids are just mental Scubadevils...

• Advertisement

A few years back i was awoken by something pulling my duvet cover off me and vaguely remember fighting with it trying to pull it back over me. My wife and daughter where asleep in the other room that night and the scary thing is - the next morning my wife asked - did you experience anything last night, she had experienced the exact same thing!:) scary or what :)

Do you have a cat? ;)

Watched a documentary years ago on BBC about sleep. They talked about sleep paralysis and in particular its relationship to folklore and myths. It has always been a common phenomenon. There’s a famous picture by John Henry Fuseli called the Nightmare that depicts the Hag and also a night “mare”

I used to suffer from night terrors years ago, especially during my clubbing days, and especially after a full on weekend. Horrible experience.
    You basically fall asleep, and your physical senses knock off (obviously an evolutionary by-product to stop you acting out your dreams and falling out of the tree you’re sleeping in) and then you wake up but your body doesn’t, so you’re basically paralysed and can’t move. Add that to the fact that you’ve also probably just woken up from a bad dream, it’s makes for quite the scary experience.

In that documentary they were able to create the same brainwave stimulations that occur during sleeping paralysis but the subject was awake. One of the side effects was the feeling that something was pulling at your feet. Goes some way explain a lot of the ghostly myths that surround sleep problems.

Advertisement