Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Your kids are just mental Scubadevils...

Could be that alright, or they do say that LSD resides at the end of your spine, maybe I passed it on somehow... too much of that sh1t as a teen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Maybe you should have done something about the creepy bloke in your back garden mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

People may perceive colours differently but they’re just arbitrary terms used to describe the reaction of light based on an object’s unchanging physical properties. You can objectively define what “colour” an object is.

People who believe in ghosts generally have a very wishy-washy idea of what they are , and these ideas vary from person to person. There’s no objective way to measure the “ghostliness” of something and hence no reason to believe in their existence, as I see it.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Do you have a cat? ;)

Watched a documentary years ago on BBC about sleep. They talked about sleep paralysis and in particular its relationship to folklore and myths. It has always been a common phenomenon. There’s a famous picture by John Henry Fuseli called the Nightmare that depicts the Hag and also a night “mare”

I used to suffer from night terrors years ago, especially during my clubbing days, and especially after a full on weekend. Horrible experience.
    You basically fall asleep, and your physical senses knock off (obviously an evolutionary by-product to stop you acting out your dreams and falling out of the tree you’re sleeping in) and then you wake up but your body doesn’t, so you’re basically paralysed and can’t move. Add that to the fact that you’ve also probably just woken up from a bad dream, it’s makes for quite the scary experience.

In that documentary they were able to create the same brainwave stimulations that occur during sleeping paralysis but the subject was awake. One of the side effects was the feeling that something was pulling at your feet. Goes some way explain a lot of the ghostly myths that surround sleep problems.

I knew someone who suffered with that a few years ago, sounds bloody awful - again it was around the time when she would have been going clubbing a lot.

Maybe you should have done something about the creepy bloke in your back garden mate.

Fck off, I never said he was creepy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I don't know… I think that we can pretty much arrive a general consensus that we in the main see things the same. If this was not true, we would have common consensus on traffic lights, warning signs, art and other visual information. While we can philosophically ask 'Do you see brown the same as me?' the truth is you will in about 95% of cases. If you show bright green red on a bright red background, usually anyone with colour blindness won't be able to see anything but to the rest of us it is an awful, glaring and clashing mess. While we all have our own colour preferences we all can agree on what is orange, yellow, blue etc…

Obviously people with Synesthesia and people who have colour blindness are going to perceive things differently. Colour blindness, beside monochromacy, where people see colours differently really only affects men and is usually confined to Red/Green.
    On your first point there - I think you're not really getting what I'm saying. Ok take the traffic lights thing - the red light means stop. What I see as 'red' may be a completely different colour than you see as red - but we still both call it 'red', in all situations. The frequency of light humans have called 'red', two people may interpret that colour differently and see it differently in their brains, but it works because we have named it 'red'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Now our son who is almost 3 sometimes refers to what he calls the 'lolling'! - The lolling seems to reside at the top of the curtain rail in our sitting room and when we ask if this lolling says anything, our son said that he only sings - 'lala lala lala lala' :D ...
    I think that may be a Lolcat that he's referring to, and in particular, "Ceiling Cat"

Ceiling%20cat%20900.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Or maybe Monorail Cat due to it being on the Curtain Rail

monorailcat.jpg

On the sleep paralysis - I've always gotten that (not very often but still get it), but I've never been scared by it or felt a presence in the room, or the night hag thing or anything. There's nothing supernatural about it for me.

It's a horrible, horrible feeling though. Sometimes it happens when I'm falling asleep - it's like as if you're just nearly asleep but not quite - you're in the layer of concious thought rather than subconcious, but you can't move your body. For some reason though, haven't explained it, you HAVE to move. So what I do to 'wake myself up from it', is summon all my energy (I'm not sure if it's a mental or physical thing), to give myself a jolt. Sometimes it doesn't work first time round, which is a horrible feeling, because it takes a bit of time to get the concentration back to be able to go again with another shake. I hate it. Doesn't happen often, but it's nasty when it does.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Or maybe Monorail Cat due to it being on the Curtain Rail

monorailcat.jpg

I'd forgotten about those lol cats, some of them are brilliant... I reckon this is the one alright, I'll show my son and ask if its him.

• Advertisement

Scuba - I'm not looking forward to that with kids - if my kid asked me who the little boy was that lived in our back garden - I'd sh*t myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

joker77 wrote: »
    On your first point there - I think you're not really getting what I'm saying. Ok take the traffic lights thing - the red light means stop. What I see as 'red' may be a completely different colour than you see as red - but we still both call it 'red', in all situations. The frequency of light humans have called 'red', two people may interpret that colour differently and see it differently in their brains, but it works because we have named it 'red'.

No, I get what you're saying but what I believe and is commonly accepted to be true is that people might perceive colours slightly differently (blue being a different shade from person to person) but not to the extent that one would see green and another would see blue. I know it's got to do with light frequencies but its also to do with retina receptors in the eye specific to different colours.

Scuba - I'm not looking forward to that with kids - if my kid asked me who the little boy was that lived in our back garden - I'd sh*t myself.

Ah you laugh it off to be honest, initially a bit weird but obviously just their imagination.

I hope.

In saying all of that, I would not for a minute visit that 'haunted' amusement park in the middle of the night on my own. Who would, regardless of their beliefs on ghosts etc?

Not a chance. As I say, I value my sanity, the little I have left.

I remember when I was 18/19, myself and another mate made a bet with another mate to spend a night in the Hellfire club - on his own. This guy was (and still is) a firm non-believer in anything supernatural, whereas the two of us would be a bit more open to it. So anyway - the bet was serious - we were putting up 500 pounds each (we would have taken weeks to actually raise the cash, we were just very confident), so if he did it we owed him a grand, if he failed he owed us a grand.

I caved slightly - I felt a little sorry for him as I reckoned it was easy money, so before we shook on the bet - I gave him the option of first going up there when the sun was going down, with the two of us, and then when it got dark for him to take a stroll inside the Hellfire. Needless to say after being inside for a few seconds only he decided not to go ahead with the bet.

Certain buildings at nighttime have an aura about them, the Hellfire club is definitely one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Certain buildings at nighttime have an aura about them, the Hellfire club is definitely one.
    I'd say this "aura" is mainly a combination of imposing decor and preconceptions based on what you've heard about the place.

What can I say though, I still **** myself walking alone in the countryside at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

in truth the 'haunted amusement park' I mentioned earlier was just a reference to Wayne's World and the whole Scooby Doo thing. The real park is just the abandoned Spree Park that has a wild story to tell.

Its' when the kids start talking about 'Captain Howdy' that you'd have to worry.

Not a chance. As I say, I value my sanity, the little I have left.

I remember when I was 18/19, myself and another mate made a bet with another mate to spend a night in the Hellfire club - on his own. This guy was (and still is) a firm non-believer in anything supernatural, whereas the two of us would be a bit more open to it. So anyway - the bet was serious - we were putting up 500 pounds each (we would have taken weeks to actually raise the cash, we were just very confident), so if he did it we owed him a grand, if he failed he owed us a grand.

I caved slightly - I felt a little sorry for him as I reckoned it was easy money, so before we shook on the bet - I gave him the option of first going up there when the sun was going down, with the two of us, and then when it got dark for him to take a stroll inside the Hellfire. Needless to say after being inside for a few seconds only he decided not to go ahead with the bet.

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Hellfire Club, must add that to my list of things to do this year.

But yeah lots of old buildings have scary feel about them and I think in particular where there is evidence of a happier time in the past - the abandoned amusement park being a good example. I passed a holiday complex in the Canary Islands once that was abandoned, looking around it was very creepy...

old gregg wrote: »
    in truth the 'haunted amusement park' I mentioned earlier was just a reference to Wayne's World and the whole Scooby Doo thing. The real park is just the abandoned Spree Park that has a wild story to tell.

Its' when the kids start talking about 'Captain Howdy' that you'd have to worry.

Captain Howdy, that sounds like an expression you might use when announcing the need to go for a dump... I'm off for an aul Captain Howdy :pac:

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to the Hellfire Club, must add that to my list of things to do this year.

But yeah lots of old buildings have scary feel about them and I think in particular where there is evidence of a happier time in the past - the abandoned amusement park being a good example. I passed a holiday complex in the Canary Islands once that was abandoned, looking around it was very creepy...
    Best time is about an hour or so before it gets dark - enough time to have a potter round inside, climb the chimney (if you're brave and skinny :)) and take in the stunning view of the city.

Then wait for it to get dark and go back inside. No high power torches allowed, only an old crappy one or a auld candle.

• Advertisement

Captain Howdy, that sounds like an expression you might use when announcing the need to go for a dump... I'm off for an aul Captain Howdy :pac:

And then have a little Tallaght powder coating afterwards.

Captain Howdy is who the little girl talks to on the Ouija Board in The Exorcist.

Excuse the ignorance but what is the Hellfire Club?

Captain Howdy is who the little girl talks to on the Ouija Board in The Exorcist.

I haven't seen that film in years, must watch it again - although I'm kinda chicken sh1t these days when it comes to horrors etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Considering I'm not far away from it I'm even more embarrassed about having never visited it!

http://blather.net/blather/1998/10/the_irish_hellfire_club_no_smo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Didn't she have all sorts of problems later in life after that movie?

http://blather.net/blather/1998/10/the_irish_hellfire_club_no_smo.html
    The history of Dublin's Hell-Fire Club, Rathfarnham. Overlooking Dublin city from the south west, at an altitude of 383m (1264ft), is a foreboding ruined hunting lodge, marked on Ordnance Survey maps as the 'Hell-Fire Club'. Current urban lore insists on telling us that it was - and still is - a site commonly used for the practice of 'Satanism' and other occult activities, and that the Devil himself made a brief appearance there at some unspecified time in the past. In a story similar to the one attached to Loftus Hall (a haunted house on the Hook Peninsula), a mysterious stranger seeks shelter on a stormy night, and a card game ensues. A member of the household drops a card, and sees that below the table, the otherwise affable and charming visitor has a cloven hoof. His or her screams made the Devil 'aware of her discovery, and he at once vanished in a thunder-clap leaving a brimstone smell behind him' (Seymour and Neligan).

ireland-1163710394-Hellfire%20Club2.jpg

2f09899445e12ffda60b3e711a060621_M.jpg?time=1292807943

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I haven't seen that film in years, must watch it again - although I'm kinda chicken sh1t these days when it comes to horrors etc.
    It stands up as good as ever. A truly excellent horror film. That's one to give a look late at night after a face full of 'jazz tobacco' :)

I don't buy into the Satanism stuff at the Hellfire club - just think it was an old hunting lodge and I'd say the type of aristocrats using it didn't want the locals bothering them so made up stories about it to keep people away.

A story I heard was that it was the rich young bucks of Dublin who built it, it sits on top of a hill, and allegedly Fitzwilliam square points directly at that hill - that's where the rich folk lived that built it - basically they could look out from their street to the top of the hill and see their lodge.

old gregg wrote: »
    It stands up as good as ever. A truly excellent horror film. That's one to give a look late at night after a face full of 'jazz tobacco' :)

I seriously doubt I could chance it - one of the last straws for me in terms of horror was watching this a couple of years ago having indulged in some jazz...

It scared the fck out of me - never forget the scene also where the old man is brought down from the attic and is trying to bash the girls head over the basin but keeps missing, horrific!!!

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Didn't she have all sorts of problems later in life after that movie?

Well, if being a lesbian is a problem…

The child star from Poltergeist died when she was twelve:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_O'Rourke

Advertisement