Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

I seriously doubt I could chance it - one of the last straws for me in terms of horror was watching this a couple of years ago having indulged in some jazz...

It scared the fck out of me - never forget the scene also where the old man is brought down from the attic and is trying to bash the girls head over the basin but keeps missing, horrific!!!

One of the best films ever made man. I love me horror - films or books, well known for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Fecking Epic film. I remember when they released it back at the end of the 90s. I had seen a bootleg copy of it years before and I told my flatmate it was one of the scariest movies I had ever seen. He rented it out with a fair bit of bravado, turned off the lights to watch it, sneered a bit at the beginning but by the end he was extremely silent. Jumped out of the seat as soon as the credits ran and turned on the light as quick as he could with a petrified look on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Have to agree, very freaky film. Years since I've watched it - my lasting memory was the room of bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

the bucket of salt was awful too

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I would have seen it originally as a kid at some stage and was much more able for it then than I am now... same with lots of others too, my brother was big into them and I was treated to all sorts of gore on the good old VHS player at the time... Children of the Corn, Exorcist, Friday the 13th etc.

Another that I watched in the last couple of years that I found extremely disturbing was Wolf Creek - that was pretty much the last film like that I've watched and it was enough to turn me off films like that for life! What was really horrible about this is that its based on true events, albeit loosely...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Wolf Creek was a very unpleasant movie but I didn't find it too scary due to what you already mentioned about it being loosely based around what might have happened which left a lot of scope for creative terror. The first time I saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose was the last time I was genuinely scared after a movie. In fairness, we'd been out a big session the night before so it probably wasn't the best time to watch it, but I was terrified walking home that night! I've seen it since and it didn't have the same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

joker77 wrote: »
    It'll be a quiet month... no alcohol,

Well i wont be joining you just yet, just discovered a bottle of tullamore dew & Santa Rita red left in work as gifts for me i didnt collect before the break.....Mmmmm i shall partake in some extra festivity drinkking me thinks:)
    SuprSi wrote: »
    Considering I'm not far away from it I'm even more embarrassed about having never visited it!

http://blather.net/blather/1998/10/the_irish_hellfire_club_no_smo.html

Great place for a Rave, went to about 6 raves there 1997 to 1999, found this short vid of another rave up there,

http://www.4shared.com/file/189626804/56f9035/Hell_fire_club_Rave.html

Really great place for an all nighter but you do have to mind the entrance when mad out of it if your tall, crack your head of the archway going in:mad:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

SuprSi wrote: »
    Wolf Creek was a very unpleasant movie but I didn't find it too scary due to what you already mentioned about it being loosely based around what might have happened which left a lot of scope for creative terror. The first time I saw the Exorcism of Emily Rose was the last time I was genuinely scared after a movie. In fairness, we'd been out a big session the night before so it probably wasn't the best time to watch it, but I was terrified walking home that night! I've seen it since and it didn't have the same effect.

Yeah it wasn't so much scary as just plain gruesome - I think the original Texas Chainsaw Massacres definitely takes the prize for me as the most disgusting and horrific film I've ever seen!

I watched the original Planet of the Apes last night, haven't seen that in years and loved it again, great film... many dated moments obviously at this stage but still knocked the sh1t out of the remake.

Yeah it wasn't so much scary as just plain gruesome - I think the original Texas Chainsaw Massacres definitely takes the prize for me as the most disgusting and horrific film I've ever seen!

You should see Cannibal Holocaust or Cannibal so or even the CATIII (Chinese) Untold Story, Ebola Syndrom or Human Pork Chop, all of which are vile pieces of work but the first two are both firm favourites of mine. The first time I watched Cannibal Holocaust (was about 2004/2005 so would've been 27ish), when it was over I felt like I'd been punched in the guts and couldn't physically move. I couldn't believe what I'd seen and it remains a firm favourite of mine to this today, simply for the raw emotion it brings on the viewer. Such conflicting images played with such romantic music is a mindf**k. You should even check out the soundtrack if the movie aint your thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I don't like Horror movies, mainly cause most of them are just rubbish to begin with, but some are worth a watch. Texas Chainsaw did scare the life out of me but that was years ago. I remember as a teenager "What Lies beneath" being surprisingly scary. Blair Witch not so much. I quite enjoyed Paranormal activity actually.

Cannibal Holocaust is notorious as being a video nasty from that era in the 80's. It is one of THE most effective films I've seen though and it's actually were The Blair Witch got their inspiration from - i.e. the "found footage" premise. I hated BWP when I went to see it. PA I enjoyed. Seriously though, if you feel you don't or just won't want to see CH I would definitely check out the soundtrack, such an amazing piece of work. Classical music though.

On another note it's now my fourth day without sleep. I'm exhausted but just can't nod off. Sitting up all night watching sh*te and smoking my brains out. Think I'll have to get me a few beers later, to try reverse a trend.

No Steo they really sound like movies that I should make sure I avoid.. Just can't stomach blood and guts!

On the sleeping note, try meditation or chi gung - 20 minutes of either before bed and you'll have no problem sleeping. Takes practice with both but a lot better than relying on beer or wine which is what I did in the past and have done over Christmas, back to the healthy regime as of tonight though.

Cheers man, will look those things up. Just came off sleeping meds recently, was on them a lot longer than recommended - 6 months. Reckon that might be the problem. Beer probably necessary tonight though! Me not the healthiest of folk it has to be said.

Zascar wrote: »
    I don't like Horror movies, mainly cause most of them are just rubbish to begin with, but some are worth a watch. Texas Chainsaw did scare the life out of me but that was years ago. I remember as a teenager "What Lies beneath" being surprisingly scary. Blair Witch not so much. I quite enjoyed Paranormal activity actually.

You do have to search through an unspeakable amount of dross to find anything half decent. Didn't like PA at all - probably wasn't in the right frame of mind for it.

Here are my recommendations for raycent and daycent horror movies:

I'm not sure how you're fixed for exercise but I always find that it helps me out. I didn't do much over the holidays and as a result sleep too well but I was in the gym this morning and am hoping for good nights sleep tonight.

On a side note, anyone tried to lucid dream? I'd love to be able to do it but the small bit of research I've done on it makes it look quite difficult. On the rare occasion I realise I'm dreaming I immediately wake with the excitement so never get to explore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭acman

You do have to search through an unspeakable amount of dross to find anything half decent. Didn't like PA at all - probably wasn't in the right frame of mind for it.

Here are my recommendations for raycent and daycent horror movies:

Is REC really any good? I have avoided it because it looks a bit crap but I'm hearing a lot of good about it lately...

On another note, this shocked the bejesus out of me (as much as Eden Lake did!):

acman wrote: »
    Is REC really any good? I have avoided it because it looks a bit crap but I'm hearing a lot of good about it lately...

On another note, this shocked the bejesus out of me (as much as Eden Lake did!):

Yeah, REC is very good, keeps the tension up the whole way through and good ending to it. REC 2 probably overeggs it and is a bit of a letdown but still worth watching after seeing the first one.

I haven't seen Inside yet. One to watch this week methinks…

I agree with the opinions on Rec, very good movie that doesn't waste much time getting stuck in and as Android said, a good ending.

• Advertisement

wouldn't be the best with exercise unfortunately. Very lazy I am :mad: Something I should try to resolve.

I felt let down by [REC] though me horror loving mates all loved it so maybe it just me. But "Inside" * 10. It's a must see.

Irreversible by Gaspar Noe is very interesting but not for the faint hearted!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I had another sleepless night last too. Must've had a total of about 6 hours sleep over the last couple of nights.

Gonna go for a run tonight, try get back into the exercise routine.

That homeless guy was all over Twitter yesterday. Fairplay to him. :)

I've had 0 since the NY came in. Not sure what it is. Just moved into new place so that could be it along with stopping the sleeping meds. Ready to hit the floor now. Totally exhausted. Leaving work in 10 mins as I got so bored this morning i came in 2 hours early. Def getting beer on way home. Few beers (just 4) and j's should knock me out although I had so many j's over last few days I thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I think I remember reading before that sleeping under the influence of drink and/or drugs isn't proper sleep. The brain doesn't function as it would during normal sleep and your batteries don't recharge like they should. Or something. I can't quite remember but it's something along those lines.

ianuss wrote: »
    I think I remember reading before that sleeping under the influence of drink and/or drugs isn't proper sleep. The brain doesn't function as it would during normal sleep and your batteries don't recharge like they should. Or something. I can't quite remember but it's something along those lines.

Yeah heard that meself but at this stage am desperate for any kip I can get at this stage. This has never happened me before that's the sucky part. Anywho I'm finished for the day. Have a good one all!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ah that's well documented. It's part of the reason why you still feel fooked after a night on the lash, even after a 12 hour sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Here's two hours of great deep house and techno recorded at Forward/Slash the other week if anyone's interested.

Here's two hours of great deep house and techno recorded at Forward/Slash the other week if anyone's interested.

There you go SteoL. Listen to a couple of minutes of this and you'll be asleep in no time...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

There you go SteoL. Listen to a couple of minutes of this and you'll be asleep in no time...

Haha....was that a bit of revenge for the Sabrina trolling?

• Advertisement

Haha....was that a bit of revenge for the Sabrina trolling?

I... I... I... just couldn't resist. It was the perfect sequence of posts resulting in an open goal... Sorry Frankie!

Advertisement