Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

joker77 wrote: »
    Definitely one area I'd steer clear of. I'm pretty sure I'd just end up getting a permanent ban from boards...
    Paranormal and Spirituality forums are a definite no-go if you have even an even mildly skeptical predisposition.

This is all par for the course - bright flashes and loud noises in the sky = probable alien activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Just on 'constant force field' I got this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_field_%28chemistry%29
    and this
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_field_%28physics%29

I'm assuming it's more the physics one they mean, seeing it's quantum mechanics and all...

I think you got the wrong end of the stick… I wrote that sentence to show how scientific terms are used with bull**** therapies…

Although you've given me an idea... Loads of dosh from my self help book on Healing crystals and Newton here we come!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I think you got the wrong end of the stick… I wrote that sentence to show how scientific terms are used with bull**** therapies…

Although you've given me an idea... Loads of dosh from my self help book on Healing crystals and Newton here we come!
    I thought you were quoting it from somewhere, which wouldn't surprise or shock me in the slightest

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Paranormal and Spirituality forums are a definite no-go if you have even an even mildly skeptical predisposition.

This is all par for the course - bright flashes and loud noises in the sky = probable alien activity.

The conspiracy theory forum is the worst. Truly makes me believe we live in the age of the idiot…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

The conspiracy theory forum is the worst. Truly makes me believe we live in the age of the idiot…

The Christianity forum is along the same lines.

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »

What did Jesus look like?

Has my favourite response ever:

Originally Posted by Oh_Noes:
    The Turin Shroud was exposed as a hoax years ago.

Jester Minute:
    Hardly. With each passing year the evidence increases. Anyway, let's not get into petty controversies. Let's talk about what Jesus looked like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

At least opposing arguments are allowed in the Christianity forum.

The Spirituality charter doesn't permit debate, so everyone is free to sit in a big drum circle, safe from sense, and indulge themselves in their completely fabricated view of how the world actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Check this out Baz !

This guy was on RTE - Nationwide a while back.He can see Angles and talks with them:)

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2010/1027/nationwide.html

lol
    I can see Angles too. Mainly Obtuse ones, but I have been known to see the odd Acute one every now and then.

What did Jesus look like?

Has my favourite response ever:

Originally Posted by Oh_Noes:
    The Turin Shroud was exposed as a hoax years ago.

Jester Minute:
    Hardly. With each passing year the evidence increases. Anyway, let's not get into petty controversies. Let's talk about what Jesus looked like.

Jackpot!

The Spirituality charter doesn't permit debate, so everyone is free to sit in a big drum circle, safe from sense, and indulge themselves in their completely fabricated view of how the world actually works.
    Wait, wait, wait, WHAT? So it's a place where they openly say you are not allowed challenge what people write?

Hmmmm.... this is beginning to sound interesting. I'd be half tempted to make up some belief system around a random inanimate object, just to see what happens... Not as this account of course...

Oh wait... there's that site ban looming again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

carbon+rod.bmp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I've gotten a good few bans / infractions for leaving comments in the Islam / Christianity forums. You're basically told to **** off if you've nothing constructive (which I interpret as ludicrous) to say. Any attempts to deconstruct the realities of religion is met with a swift rebuff. Such pack of retards those 'devout' muslims and christians.

On a similar note, my heart goes out to Pakistan. Another country which is fast becoming a fundimentalist theocracy. Not one public figure came out to express sorrow for the death of the Punjab government who was killed yesterday for opposing the blasphemy law. Good article here for anyone interested in international politics.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/01/2011141762235392.html

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Out of interest what are people's opinion on Islam as a religion and its affects on western society?

Zascar wrote: »
    Out of interest what are people's opinion on Islam as a religion and its affects on western society?
    Worms... can... open...

I would view Islam, like Christianity, in it's organised form, as more a force of bad than good on the planet.

In my opinion, organised religion is only a tool to divide people - not bring them together, and has resulted in too many wars and too much bloodshed and death for anyone to seriously try and tell me organised religion is about love and peace.

I don't have a problem with what anyone believes, people have a right to believe in whatever fairytale floats their boat. Yes I will think they are a little simple, but it seems to work for them. Opiate of the people and all that.

Islam and Christianity on their own have probably killed more people than everything else on the planet put together - disease, cancer, plagues, famines etc

Hmmm, I think you might be overstating it there a little bit

Hmmm, I think you might be overstating it there a little bit
    yea, have removed it. Was a bit of an afterthought, but I read recently about the amount of people killed in the Americas in the 1600/1700s, most of which was in the name of Christ. WWII was very mild in comparison

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I know these things are generally totally one sided - possibly nothing but propaganda tools etc, and a very large pinch of salt has to be taken alongside them, but these documentaries scared the living bejeasus out of me

Islam, what the west needs to know
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-871902797772997781#
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam:_What_the_West_Needs_to_Know

Obsession: Radical Islam’s War Against the West
    http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/obsession-radical-islams-war-against-the-west/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsession:_Radical_Islam's_War_Against_the_West

Dispatches: Undercover Mosque
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2515587181120245843#
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover_Mosque

yea, have removed it. Was a bit of an afterthought, but I read recently about the amount of people killed in the Americas in the 1600/1700s, most of which was in the name of Christ. WWII was very mild in comparison

Sorry, you must have edited will I was responding. On balance, the amount of people killed by Communist regimes stands at close to 150 million:

http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/communistbodycount.php

People can believe in whatever they want. But what they believe in should not be forced on other people. There should always be a strict separation of church and state imo. The problems we have in this world are when ideologies are allowed to go unchecked and without balance. Religion as political ideology is a complete disaster as we are seeing in the middle east. Communism was never going to work and it never will and when capitalism is allowed to go unchecked… well we are living the fallout of that at the moment.

I have no problem with somebody being a muslim as long as they don't have a problem with me not sharing their ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭francois

All religon is bollocks-we have evolved beyond belief in magic fairy dust. Feel free to worship but it has no place in science, education or politics.

• Advertisement

religionislikea...jpg

I have a big problem with people being religious. I expect to be able to hold people accountable and responsible for their actions. Religion is the removal of reason and the denial of observation.
    For instance, people should come to their own moral conclusions about where they stand on abortion through reasoning, not through being told what's what by an ignorant higher power. Because we can discuss that, it's open for debate.
    When religion is involved people just think something just for the sake of it. Which would ironically be fine if we didn't live in a democracy and religious people didn't have a say. But they do. And so we all fall victim to other people's belief in fairytales.

I genuinely struggle to respect somebody that believes in a God for which there is no proof. It shows a massive blind-spot in their reasoning abilities.
    Faith is not a virtue, it's an awful human trait that allows people to do terrible things for sh1t reasons.

I have no problem with somebody being a muslim as long as they don't have a problem with me not sharing their ideology.
    There seems to be an inherent problem with this though, as their faith requires church and state to not be separate?

but the people who really wind me up are the people who know and accept that evolution explains how we got here, but still 'have faith' because it's 'like personal and important to them'.
    Or the Catholic church in the way that it cherry picks whatever it wants to keep power. You know, people who say 'Christianity and evolution are not mutually exclusive'.
    That is utter utter utter bollocks. Christianity by definition is the belief in one God who created the earth in seven days, sent his only son to earth and saw him get crucified for all our sins.
    It is beyond retarded to even think that it's ok to think there's an omniscient and omnipresent God, but know that evolution happened.

but the people who really wind me up are the people who know and accept that evolution explains how we got here, but still 'have faith' because it's 'like personal and important to them'.
    Or the Catholic church in the way that it cherry picks whatever it wants to keep power. You know, people who say 'Christianity and evolution are not mutually exclusive'.
    That is utter utter utter bollocks. Christianity by definition is the belief in one God who created the earth in seven days, sent his only son to earth and saw him get crucified for all our sins.
    It is beyond retarded to even think that it's ok to think there's an omniscient and omnipresent God, but know that evolution happened.
    Is it not either a) a metaphor for the big bang, or b) the big bang (like the dinosaurs) is put there to test our faith?

I'm confused about the party line on this

I'm not religious at all but I do find this quite interesting:

It's worth watching the whole documentary to get the whole picture.

Is it not either a) a metaphor for the big bang, or b) the big bang (like the dinosaurs) is put there to test our faith?

I'm confused about the party line on this

depends on which church you talk to......the whole bible as metaphor lark only ever came about when science finally convinced the majority of people on the planet that it was all complete bollocks.

At least the literalists (like the baptists or episcopalians or whoever) stand behind their belief in EVERYTHING that's in the bible. As opposed to the Catholic Church that will only stand behind things that cannot possibly be verified.

Actually, I met someone recently who was laughing about the Southern bible belt in the states and their belief in Intelligent Design, but then told me they go to mass every Sunday and even go to confession. Amazingly, after being chopped down by myself and a few others, they genuinely seemed to have changed their mind.
    Some people have never really experienced their religious beliefs being dissected and ridiculed in a scientific way and when it happens, you'd be surprised how many of them say 'jeepers yeah, never thought of it like that'.

Contrary to popular belief, you can actually win religious types over in arguments. I mean, if they're gullible enough to believe in all that nonsense, even the flakiest argument about fossil records is often enough to throw them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

True, could always use for cleaning vinyl :pac: The frequent mother-in-law gift to me a few years back was a Lynx gift-set... must have got that about 4 years in a row, thankfully in more recent times I've been upgraded to HMV vouchers!

As long as they're not Golden Discs vouchers - it used to be hell finding something worthy of purchase with those damn things :P

Btw I don't normally post on this forum, but the thread title caught my eye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Actually, speaking of the thread title. Where did it come from?

• Advertisement

Contrary to popular belief, you can actually win religious types over in arguments. I mean, if they're gullible enough to believe in all that nonsense, even the flakiest argument about fossil records is often enough to throw them.

I thinks its a shame how Richard Dawkins, the apparent front man for the voice of reason, is actually fairly useless at trying to persuade the crazy fundamentalist Christians. I often think that of someone with a bit more natural ability to deal with people, reason with them, and appeal to them in a what that they might be able to understand, he might have a bit more success. Quoting scientific facts to these people is like them quoting bible versus to us - its not going to work.

Advertisement