Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The VHI thing really pisses me off. I understand that they have a higher cost base due to the amount of older members, and these are the people essentially costing the most, but by the same token these people have most likely been members of VHI for many decades, continually paying them and at the later stages of their lives are entitled to draw down their 'investment'. I can't imagine anyone other than those who are extremely loyal or wealthy (or those on corporate accounts) staying with them and the company will die a slow death.

Btw, I watched Prime Time last night so know everything about this topic ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Hadn't heard about the mortgage rate hike but that VHI hike is a bit much. And the head bloke there won't admit if he took a paycut last year like most of us! Unbelievable!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

This one's for Jeff. :D

Pope says God was behind Big Bang

Love the way they keep moving the goalposts every time something his proven to be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »

Love the way they keep moving the goalposts every time something his proven to be wrong.

Saw that this morning and thought this pope is awesome for proving precisely what I've been saying the day before.
    Kind of freaky considering what I said about how the church deals with science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    Saw that this morning and thought this pope is awesome for proving precisely what I've been saying the day before.
    Kind of freaky considering what I said about how the church deals with science.

It was great timing alright and proves what I was saying about how hard it is to have an open mind. All you reason based people with your facts…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Irish times reading the off-topic thread again?

I'm not going to bother commenting on their most recent excuses, not worthy of it.

joker77 wrote: »
    Irish times reading the off-topic thread again?

Wouldn't surprise me.....If I was a hack in there and was looking for a good topic of discussion I'd pop my head in here daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

All Irish Journalists use Boards as a reference point. It'd be foolish not to. Sure most Google searches contain links to Boards on the first page.

Another request - anyone got any recommendations for a decent spa type hotel in Ireland?

I'm looking for something for a weekend away for a couple, nice location - beautiful scenery, ideally a little isolated, not much to do except take in the surroundings and for herself whatever treatments they offer (maybe for himself too). Not looking for any evening entertainment.

Suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Another request - anyone got any recommendations for a decent spa type hotel in Ireland?

I'm looking for something for a weekend away for a couple, nice location - beautiful scenery, ideally a little isolated, not much to do except take in the surroundings and for herself whatever treatments they offer (maybe for himself too). Not looking for any evening entertainment.

Suggestions?

http://www.inchydoneyisland.com/

• Advertisement

Suggestions?

Carton House. No length away, and cheap enough.
    http://fe.avvio.com/convert/site/Carton%20House/en/rate_group/1106.html

ianuss wrote: »
    Have you actually stayed there, or you taking the p*ss?

It's a little pricey, do you get what you pay for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

All Irish Journalists use Boards as a reference point. It'd be foolish not to. Sure most Google searches contain links to Boards on the first page.

True. It's how I found The Asylum thread¬:D

Maynooth Tourism board giving you commission?

Maynooth Tourism board giving you commission?

I am the Maynooth Tourism Board Neal.

Suggestions?

Sure you can stay in my place if you want. I used to give out massages at house parties back in the day and I can do up a couple of basins with hot water and vicks - they're fierce relaxing and invigorating. It's pretty isolated so there won't be anything to do but sure we'll play a bit of trivial pursuit or monopoly. Only thing is you'll be sleeping on the couch and you'll have to get up about 7 when the kids wake up and want to watch Spongebob.

When will I book you in?

You could try here;

http://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/Properties/Powerscourt/Default.htm?utm_campaign=09054&src=ps

It's pricey, no doubt, and while it's not far from Dublin, it seems like it's miles away. Beautiful scenery, beautiful hotel, and everything else around it is beautiful too. The restaurant is very good but again pricey, and they have a lovely spa downstairs but in keeping with the rest of the place it's pricey too.

So in summation it's a great spot though it'll cost ya!

Have you actually stayed there, or you taking the p*ss?

It's a little pricey, do you get what you pay for?

Haven't stayed there myself but a friend was there a few months ago and he was saying it was gorgeous. Spectaular views and the spa stuff was top notch if that's you thing.

Right, with all the church-rubbishing going on in the thread, I was just wondering........how many here have actually left the Catholic Church or is everyone still a non-practising member?

Right, with all the church-rubbishing going on in the thread, I was just wondering........how many here have actually left the Catholic Church or is everyone still a non-practising member?

I'm a lapsed Catholic. It makes me sound cooler like the Fonz or Richard Pryor when he got MS.

• Advertisement

I was about to, and then the messing with countmeout.ie started. Pretty much on the very day i went to sign up!

I was about to, and then the messing with countmeout.ie started. Pretty much on the very day i went to sign up!

I was the same. Although I decided against leaving because of the God-parent issue. But more importantly as it could adversely affect my kids chances of getting in to certain schools. And that's just a hassle I could really do without. It sucks and all, but it's Ireland and that's just the way things are.

What was the messing with countmeout?

Ditto - the forms have been printed out on my desk for ages.

It's on my To Do list though - I'm a lapsed Catholic I suppose at this stage, but I want to be officially off their records.

Change in Canon Law, which I wasn't aware of. Check the website for details, but it looks like you can't actually formally leave the church??

This, it looks like they were getting so many defections they change something to slow it down. It worked, I haven't defected yet
    Suspension of the Defection Process

In April of this year, the Catholic Church modified the Code of Canon Law to remove all references to the act of formal defection, the process used by those who wish to formally renounce their membership of the Church.

Since then, the Catholic Church in Ireland has been reflecting on the implications of this change for those who wish to leave the Catholic Church. Despite our requests for clarification, the Church have yet to reach a firm position on how or whether they will continue to accept requests for the annotation of the baptismal register.

In recent weeks we have been contacted by an increasing number of people whose defections have not been processed, due to the limbo created by this canon law amendment.

Because of this uncertainty, we have taken the decision to suspend the creation of declarations of defection via CountMeOut.ie from today (12th October 2010).

I was the same. Although I decided against leaving because of the God-parent issue. But more importantly as it could adversely affect my kids chances of getting in to certain schools. And that's just a hassle I could really do without. It sucks and all, but it's Ireland and that's just the way things are.
    I had thought about that, but no offense I think it's a lame excuse these days.

Would you baptise your kids? Surely that would be the more important issue for the school?

I didn't even know you could do that. For some reason I figured that religion was just something you entered by having water poured on your head and that there was no official contract that you had to fill forms in to exit? Seems daft.

I had thought about that, but no offense I think it's a lame excuse these days.

Would you baptise your kids? Surely that would be the more important issue for the school?

Well ye, that's what I mean. I would continue to pay lip-service to the church and have my kids baptised.

I mean, I hate organised religion and I have zero time for the church. But at the same time, I wouldn't like my kids to miss out on anything.

edit; just look at the FAQ section on 'Consequences of defection'. I would be just as happy to avoid any of that hassle http://www.countmeout.ie/faq/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Exactly what I was going to say.

Stayed there last week for our wedding anniversary and couldn't fault it. Decent deal too. €190 for two of us, bed, breakfast and top notch three course meal. The room was stunning, as was the view from it across the grounds and golf courses. If you go, ask them for a room in the old part of the hotel if possible.

Was weird though, going for a night away ten minutes from home.

Advertisement