Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

On a completely different subject and seeing as I've broken the seal somewhat on talking about relatively 'serious' subject on de internet - last time I did that was some years ago when it involved A/S/L? on random chat rooms... I never did get that 21/F/USA to meet me...

Anyway... I've been pondering this over the last few days having observed people around me, mainly in the work environment or various people I know. Are people inherently lazy? Is the human default to do little unless challenged otherwise? Its not that I've reached this conclusion as such, more that I'm debating it at present and yet to reach a full and final conclusion... maybe I should start a poll on After Hours :pac:
    It's very hard to know. These days, with a job where you spend the vast majority of your time in front of a computer with an internet connection - there's just so much scope to do very little work. So many other distractions.

I'd love to have a job that interested me enough to keep me concentrated on it for a full working day. It's been a long time since I've been that interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Anyway... I've been pondering this over the last few days having observed people around me, mainly in the work environment or various people I know. Are people inherently lazy? Is the human default to do little unless challenged otherwise? Its not that I've reached this conclusion as such, more that I'm debating it at present and yet to reach a full and final conclusion... maybe I should start a poll on After Hours :pac:

Of course people are inherently 'lazy'. We as a species are programmed to do things with the least amount of energy expended.
    The whole idea of 'laziness' is an interesting one and one which is inherently tied to the protestant ethic of working being the key to happiness (read Max Weber for a good explanation of this).

The only thing worse than a slave is a willing slave. You know the type.....works long hours really hard because they just feel that they should for little or no reward.
    I suppose the real genius of modern day capitalism is it's ability to fool stupid people into working extra hard for little or no benefit ('team leaders' spring to mind).

I think Android has hit the nail on the head there with Motivation. There have been times in my job where I've been motivated. I'm a software developer (well I used to be, now I'm a project manager...), there were times where I felt I was building something, that it had a purpose, and I enjoyed the craft. During those times I was motivated, enjoyed what I was doing and spent most of the day working.

Those days are long gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's all about motivation. Here is a really interesting video about it.

Excellent stuff. I suppose Boards could be used as an example of that theory.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I think motivation is key also - along with an actual desire to do what you are doing and a clear reason as to why you are doing it... discipline by way of a personal planned routine I think is very important and something that has worked well for me (at times) - laziness doesn't have to relate only to work and I think its important to have clear plans/goals set out in terms of personal objectives as well as work objectives - knowing what it is you want in life and how you intend to get it... be that MD of some company, have ten children and raise them well, become a superstar DJ - everyone has potentially the capacity to be what they want to be or achieve what they want, its just a question of how they pursue their goals and ambitions, without laziness getting in the way.

Anyway, I'm off to watch TV :pac:

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    Of course people are inherently 'lazy'. We as a species are programmed to do things with the least amount of energy expended.
    The whole idea of 'laziness' is an interesting one and one which is inherently tied to the protestant ethic of working being the key to happiness (read Max Weber for a good explanation of this).

The only thing worse than a slave is a willing slave. You know the type.....works long hours really hard because they just feel that they should for little or no reward.
    I suppose the real genius of modern day capitalism is it's ability to fool stupid people into working extra hard for little or no benefit ('team leaders' spring to mind).

Just looked up that book by Max Weber, another added to my list...

Actually, before I go - the internet is a good example. I find it so easy to just browse away aimlessly for hours, listen to some music, look up something of interest, check boards and see what's going on - another hour passes, eventually it's 12am and I might read for a few minutes and hit the hay - now this isn't every night but it actually annoys me how easy it is to simply wander around the web.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Absolutely brilliant video. I'm a huge believer in that type of stuff - never seen it articulated so well before.

Lots more good videos on that youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/theRSAorg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Has anyone ever attempted to explain the East-Asian work ethic? The Chinese, Japanese and especially Koreans are ultra industrious to the point where the rest of the world looks on in awe. Indeed... I'm stumped on the matter.

Has anyone ever attempted to explain the East-Asian work ethic? The Chinese, Japanese and especially Koreans are ultra industrious to the point where the rest of the world looks on in awe. Indeed... I'm stumped on the matter.

Communism! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

It's a sh1t time to be a graduate alright. What are you studying Ian?

I'm doing accountancy. ACCA if that means anything to you....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Well this thread seems to have taken on extra shifts. Serious reading to get through.
    Or the Catholic church in the way that it cherry picks whatever it wants to keep power. You know, people who say 'Christianity and evolution are not mutually exclusive'.

This is the bit that gets to me the most. People talk about all the strange things other religions don't let you do (Kosher and Halal rules etc.), but Catholicism has the exact same weird things it's just people don't follow them.

And how people who have sex before marriage and use contraception roll out God as the justification for hating gay people.
    Zascar wrote: »

Haha yeah how sweet of him to drop in with new years greetings.

http://www.irishclubbing.ie/vbforum/showthread.php?t=31052

He decided to add an awkward peddleboat video too.
    ianuss wrote: »
    Right, with all the church-rubbishing going on in the thread, I was just wondering........how many here have actually left the Catholic Church or is everyone still a non-practising member?

I did the countmeout thing, got a letter asking to meet with the bishop or whatever and never got around to it.
    Our daugher is 6 and in senior infants in a Catholic school - the choices for schools where we live are pretty limited and the local Catholic/National school was considered by far the best. She was not baptised and still got into the school no problem. The issue we are faced with however is when it comes to Communion as she can't without having been baptised... how the hell do you explain to a 6 year old girl that she can't wear a pretty white dress and collect money from relatives??? Its a genuine dilemma we have at home... she is already talking about communion and quite excited about the idea so its really difficult to know what to do... my wife is leaning towards getting her baptised and I think we will have to, its a bloody disgrace the grip the church still has on this country.

As said, the grip is only there because you allow it

I was baptised because I was a sick baby, and my mam was coming under pressure from people going on about limbo etc. so she decided on the outside chance that there was a god, that she'd give me a leg up.

I was raised without a religion, I went to a multi denominational school and when communion time came around the catholic kids stayed late on tuesday's to learn the prayers and stuff. I wanted to make my communion because there was a boy in the communion class that I was hopelessly in love with. I knew at the time that I didn't believe in god, and when I was hearing all the stories and prayers, I didn't think of them as anything other than stories. So unless you haven't been filling the child's head with god stuff for the past 6 years, chances are she's never going to believe it and its a bit pointless getting her to pretend just so she can get some cash off her relatives. I dont get whats so hard to explain to the her that the reason that they make their communion is because they believe in god and she doesn't believe in god. Buy her a blue dress and bring her out to a nice dinner if your worried that she will suffer as a result of missing out on the material aspect of the ceremony.

As an aside, I always think its a bit offensive to the religion (not that Im a fan of catholicism) that you would stand up and go through the motions for the sake of tradition. Which is the reason why I would never get married in a church.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

joker77 wrote: »
    Fúck the lot of yiz with your useless suggestions. Knew it was a waste of time, just couldn't help myself though, determined to find out the name of the track.

Came across this site today - http://www.abandonedireland.com - interesting reading / pictures

Here's the Hellfire Club

Cheers joker, great site, this is the second floor left & right room with stairs in middle where we had a few raves in the past,

hf7.jpg

DJ was always set up right where the camera man is standing with a window to the back on him in the centre of the building you can see it from the outside, usually we would have a huge fire balzing on the ground outside also,

hf_6793.jpg
    Anyone got any links for good general world news websites?

Heres a good arabic one for ya,

http://en.alalam-news.com/

Or this one which also has an irish specific site,

http://www.indymedia.org/en/index.shtml
    I was a relative late comer to it, probably about 4 or 5 years ago maybe - there are so many absolutely brilliant episodes, definitely one of my favourite comedies. Bought several of the DVD series over the last while, when they have them on offer in HMV etc I tend to grab one... The Walmart episode is definitely among the best, or the People from the Future.

Not a major watcher of it but i do remember one with 'Starvin Marvin' when cartman got a free starving african boy after sending away coupons for a watch i think, cant remember how it went now its that long since i seen it but it made me laugh at the time.
    Its terrible the amount of people that have either left or plan to leave - I've close family gone to Australia and another seriously contemplating it, both dripping with masters degrees.

Ditto :(

Or,

'deputy assisstant operations team leader designate'

Give a man a title & he will work for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I'm doing accountancy. ACCA if that means anything to you....

Yeah, it's pretty slim pickings in the accountancy world out there at the moment as far as I can gather. My brother's christmas bonus in his accountancy firm was the gift of more time with his kids in the form of a three day week. He was luckier than a lot in them there. They let several people go.

I'd say keep the head down, get the exams and take it from there.

Yeah, it's pretty slim pickings in the accountancy world out there at the moment as far as I can gather. My brother's christmas bonus in his accountancy firm was the gift of more time with his kids in the form of a three day week. He was luckier than a lot in them there. They let several people go.

I'd say keep the head down, get the exams and take it from there.

Jesus, I was genuinely under the impression that accountants were still ok in the current climate. Guess all the advertising for accountancy courses on the radio fooled me.

Solicitors are rightly fcuked at the moment too. Which sort of only leaves becoming a doctor or barrister (perhaps although I hear things are bleak) as the only dead cert to a decent living.
    Better get my head down and attempt to get into med-school.

Jesus, I was genuinely under the impression that accountants were still ok in the current climate. Guess all the advertising for accountancy courses on the radio fooled me.

Solicitors are rightly fcuked at the moment too. Which sort of only leaves becoming a doctor or barrister (perhaps although I hear things are bleak) as the only dead cert to a decent living.
    Better get my head down and attempt to get into med-school.

Banks seem to be a pretty safe haven also:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Banks seem to be a pretty safe haven also:D

I work in a bank and believe me you're wrong about that. Everyone is worried sick about their jobs. A third of the workforce here let go last year. People need to get rid of this illusion that bankers are wrapped in cotton wool, away from the economic realities we live in, with huge wages and bonuses. I'm struggling big time to survive as are most in here. The ordinary joe soap banker did not strike it rich in the boom time. That was reserved for the CEO's and other high ranking members within the banking world.

It's very competetive out there alright. Things are slighly different if you're fully qualified and have experience, but if you're looking for work without either, you're going to really struggle. But there are some highly paid, very good opportunities around for highly skilled accountants. In general though, it's scary out there.

Jobs that I would have walked into maybe 2/2.5 years ago, are now atttracting fully qualified candidates, with 2-4 years experience. Very tough to compete with that. It's very much an employers market at the moment.

Did anyone else watch Departing Days on RTE 1 last night? It was so sad. The legacy left by successive govts. is tearing families apart. I'm already resigned to the fact I'll be leaving. Which actually isn't so bad for me as I'm single, no kids and no mortgage. And a fresh challenge kind of excites me too.

But as if the doom and gloom from Departure Days wasn't enough, I had the misfortune of watching Frontline. The thoughts of a FG and/or Labour government is a genuinely frightening prospect. Their economic policy is moronic. They plan to use €2b from the NPF, in the hope of reinvigurating the economy ('shaking up' as they called it........ like it's a snowglobe or something, and you can just shake in the hope everything will just work out) by boosting small businesses??

In an effort to reform the banking sector they plan to give senior roles to existing middle management. Leo Varadkar says we have to trust these people. The man is a moron. The country is doomed to spend the next 10/15/20 years at the bottom of the barrel...........it actually doesn't make a difference who's in power - they're all inept.

SteoL wrote: »
    I work in a bank and believe me you're wrong about that. Everyone is worried sick about their jobs. A third of the workforce here let go last year. People need to get rid of this illusion that bankers are wrapped in cotton wool, away from the economic realities we live in, with huge wages and bonuses. I'm struggling big time to survive as are most in here. The ordinary joe soap banker did not strike it rich in the boom time. That was reserved for the CEO's and other high ranking members within the banking world.

Ahh i know, i was attempting to be sarcastic using the fact that they are kept in business despite losing billions:confused:

I fully understand the hardship the ordinary joe is having in the banks just as much as the rest of us, i will never forget this guy,

Anglo suicide

The scum that rammed this bank bailout through to maintain the international financial ledgers from losing what they should have rightly have blood on their hands literally, i would guess this guy would not have been as desperate had he been on the dole along with every one else.

These bastards must be taught a lesson.

ha ha - all you techno heads are useless here - it was answered in less than 20 mins over on EMI!

• Advertisement

Did anyone else watch Departing Days on RTE 1 last night? It was so sad. The legacy left by successive govts. is tearing families apart..

It's a very strange situation for my family in this regard as my sister who was one of the rare enough high earners (relatively speaking) has just transferred to the same job in San Francisco. She says the main motivating factor was the fact that she'd be getting a lot more money for a lot less work because of the tax system currently in place.

I know we all love to scream about how we should tax the high-earners far more but the reality is a lot of them are easily mobile and could be gone in the morning. And unfortunately, having high earners leave the country is far worse for our economy than having Joe Soap hopping on a boat made of coffins.

ha ha - all you techno heads are useless here - it was answered in less than 20 mins over on EMI!

:( I feel so inadequate

say what you want about emi but if you're looking for people who know their music, it's a one-stop shop.
    The rare times that I have seen tune-id requests go up there, they've been answered almost immediately, and often by far more than just one poster.

Bang the Box? Nice title

It's a very strange situation for my family in this regard as my sister who was one of the rare enough high earners (relatively speaking) has just transferred to the same job in San Francisco. She says the main motivating factor was the fact that she'd be getting a lot more money for a lot less work because of the tax system currently in place.

I know we all love to scream about how we should tax the high-earners far more but the reality is a lot of them are easily mobile and could be gone in the morning. And unfortunately, having high earners leave the country is far worse for our economy than having Joe Soap hopping on a boat made of coffins.

The one thing that would really put me off working in the US is the lack of holidays. They only get 12 days a year.

I thought also in the US you were expected to work longer hours?

Not sure about the hours, but this http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/01/31/paid-holidaysvacation-days-in-the-u-s-versus-other-oecd-countries/ actually says that you get 0 days in the US. Any holidays given are at the discretion of your employer.

Ahh i see your twisted logic,

Dont tax the high earners because they might leave.

Tax the low income earners & reduce welfare etc because they cant do anything to change that.

Sure even one of the countries biggest manufacturers (michael smurfit) has said there is no reason in times of hardship not to increase our corporation tax, now if he can advocate this knowing full well how it will impact his own companies then why should we be shy from increasing tax on high earners also. If you earn far more than most then you should be willing to pay higher tax seeing the state we have dragged into, to add to this if you then think 'fu.ck this im outta here' because of higher taxes when you would still have a very good job but earning less, then you are simply greedy to your core with no real concern for your fellow country men & women. Also to fu.ck off to the other side of the world breaking your family apart for more cash if you really dont have to is totally without regard for your immediate family, im sure your mam & dad would prefer for their daughter not to be living 5000 miles away all for a few quid extra.

If you genuinley cannot see that the people who earn the most rightfully should contribute more to the running of their country then you really are alligned to right wing politics.

If you earn far more than most then you should be willing to pay higher tax seeing the state we have dragged into, to add to this if you then think 'fu.ck this im outta here' because of higher taxes when you would still have a very good job but earning less, then you are simply greedy to your core with no real concern for your fellow country men & women..
    Completely agree with you here Is Mise, but I genuinely think most people are greedy to their core. It's one of our fundamental differences I think.
    The only reason I wouldn't emigrate in the same situation is the fact that I actually like it here (despite everything). If I were in a high earning job (as jonny recommended I do a while ago :p) and was offered the same job for more money in a nicer climate etc., the only reason I wouldn't go would be if I decided I liked it here enough to not want to leave. Nothing to do with fellow countrymen etc.

Concern for your fellow country men?
    The idea of the nation state and a national identity is very new and imo largely fictional.
    I don't have much in common with a farmer in Kerry or a factory worker in Clondalkin. To think that we share a common interest or purpose under the umbrella of our national identity is bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Ahh i see your twisted logic,

Dont tax the high earners because they might leave.

Tax the low income earners & reduce welfare etc because they cant do anything to change that.

Sure even one of the countries biggest manufacturers (michael smurfit) has said there is no reason in times of hardship not to increase our corporation tax, now if he can advocate this knowing full well how it will impact his own companies then why should we be shy from increasing tax on high earners also. If you earn far more than most then you should be willing to pay higher tax seeing the state we have dragged into, to add to this if you then think 'fu.ck this im outta here' because of higher taxes when you would still have a very good job but earning less, then you are simply greedy to your core with no real concern for your fellow country men & women. Also to fu.ck off to the other side of the world breaking your family apart for more cash if you really dont have to is totally without regard for your immediate family, im sure your mam & dad would prefer for their daughter not to be living 5000 miles away all for a few quid extra.

If you genuinley cannot see that the people who earn the most rightfully should contribute more to the running of their country then you really are alligned to right wing politics.

The problem is its the truth. When Britain created a 95% tax for the rich they fled like rats off a sinking ship and nearly completely fooked the country.

You have to be pragmatic in these situations in terms of how much income tax you can put on a richer person before they say 'sod this I'm off'.

Advertisement