Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jtsuited wrote: »
    I'm finishing week one of my 'get back training proper' programme. Have so so so much weight to lose. Thankfully my fitness in the pool didn't desert me over the last few years like my running fitness did.
    It's got to be said though, getting stuck into intense training puts you in great mood and makes the rest of life seem like a walk in the park.
    Did about 20 things yesterday I'd been procrastinating about for months, with little to no effort thanks to the punishment I've been putting myself through at the pool.

Read a very good piece by a fitness instructor in the Guardian last week (yes I'm surprised too). He said the best way to motivate yourself about exercising regularly is not to think about the end goal or any of that sh1te, but just think about how great you feel after you've pushed yourself to the limit.
    About 4 years ago, I used to run 10km every morning and tbh the only reason i did it is because I actually enjoyed the buzz. I had to stop because I got shin-splints and I piled the weight on since.
    I'm starting to feel the same way about my swimming training right now (doing between 1-2km a day) so hopefully I stay addicted for the foreseeable future.
    Fair play for getting back into it, the hardest part always is not actually starting, it's thinking about starting. Thinking about it leads to putting it off. Once you get started, and keep it regular, it's fine.

Cycling is my main thing now, have never competed but I've joined the local club and they have an inter club league which starts in April. I'm going to have a bash at that, see how I get on. I'll need to lose about 4 kilos, and put in some decent training over the next 3 months. Ok realistically I could start tomorrow and probably not finish last, but unfortunately I'm not the type of person who plays sport to make up the numbers.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic, but it's a real bugbear of mine. It's crazy how much people pay for all those quack detox remedies when they do fvck all. Lots of water and time are the only way to cleanse the system.
    Ah I'm not drinking special detox drinks or anything, as I say I suppose I just call it a detox because it's handy. It's probably more fitting to call it a raw food diet. I went to the shops on Wednesday evening and stocked up on loads of fruit, nuts, seeds, veg (that you can eat raw). That's basically all I'll be eating for a week. And porridge oats (again raw). No milk/dairy either. Nothing cooked or heated.

Will let you know if I've lost any weight after a week. If it's falling off I might extend it another week, I'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

A mate of mine who is doing a PHD in physiology did a huge project on caffeine and its effect on physical and mental performance. I picked his brain for ages on the subject and basically caffeine is the wonder drug of all wonder drugs.
    Apart from the insomnia and anxiety that the odd few experience, caffeine has fcuk all long term effect on your physical health even though it is technically a highly addictive drug with huge potential for abuse and dependence (in fact almost everyone who consumes it is an addict).

I know this is referencing someone who already has the condition but i was told a good while back that if you are prone to develop diabetes large caffeine consumption is not advised as it may actually develop it faster.

http://www.diabeticlive.com/diabetes-101/caffeine-and-diabetes/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I know this is referencing someone who already has the condition but i was told a good while back that if you are prone to develop diabetes large caffeine consumption is not advised as it may actually develop it faster.

http://www.diabeticlive.com/diabetes-101/caffeine-and-diabetes/

oh yeah should have mentioned blood sugar levels. but if you are prone to the main types of diabetes, eating an apple a day will bring it on.

I switched the Gas and Electricity to them in July, I got a bill in September (Gas) for 99cents (well the bill was there on my account but said 'Not being collected' due to the small amount), haven't got anything since - for either gas or electricity.

Just wondering has anyone had any similiar stories or heard anything about them billing wise?

I'm kind of worried that when the bill comes it ain't going to be small.... In the meantime I'm using BillPay.ie to top up the account, but 6 months of Gas and electricity should be about 6 or 7 hundred...

oh yeah should have mentioned blood sugar levels. but if you are prone to the main types of diabetes, eating an apple a day will bring it on.

Ok Ok.....not every comment is throwing down a glove for duel JT!!!!!:D
    Just thought it should be pointed out to anyone it may affect so they didnt just go,

WoooooHooooo!!!!! & start lashing tonnes of coffee out of it.;)
    joker77 wrote: »
    I switched the Gas and Electricity to them in July, I got a bill in September (Gas) for 99cents (well the bill was there on my account but said 'Not being collected' due to the small amount), haven't got anything since - for either gas or electricity.

Just wondering has anyone had any similiar stories or heard anything about them billing wise?

I'm kind of worried that when the bill comes it ain't going to be small.... In the meantime I'm using BillPay.ie to top up the account, but 6 months of Gas and electricity should be about 6 or 7 hundred...

What way are you paying, i got the estimate done on the first bill so pay €80 a month every month, then when they take the next reading in 6 mmonths depending if its actually over or under consupmtion estimated from the first bill they spread the difference over the next six months.

• Advertisement

Ok Ok.....not every comment is throwing down a glove for duel JT!!!!!:D
    Just thought it should be pointed out to anyone it may affect so they didnt just go,

WoooooHooooo!!!!! & start lashing tonnes of coffee out of it.;)

Haha, I really hope nobody ever uses this thread for medical advice!!!

What way are you paying, i got the estimate done on the first bill so pay €80 a month every month, then when they take the next reading in 6 mmonths depending if its actually over or under consupmtion estimated from the first bill they spread the difference over the next six months.
    Paying by direct debit, billed online. I think it's a little odd though, that since switching in July - there's only 1 bill online, the September Gas one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Haha, I really hope nobody ever uses this thread for medical advice!!!

I use this thread as my medical reference all the time. When people here suggested using meow as a means to boost confidence and improve my dancing I went for it with both nostrils blazing, when a short while later I heard talk of benzos as a means to help my growing insomnia problem I started lashing them back like cookie monster and now that I Kant (that ones for you Jeff) stay awake I'm swilling back coffee like there's no tomorrow. Today I feel like a middle aged Tweak. Maybe a switch to Airtricity I hear people saying?

old gregg wrote: »
    and now that I Kant (that ones for you Jeff)
    Him and that work get mentioned far too much around me.

I use this thread as my medical reference all the time. When people here suggested using meow as a means to boost confidence and improve my dancing I went for it with both nostrils blazing, when a short while later I heard talk of benzos as a means to help my growing insomnia problem I started lashing them back like cookie monster and now that I Kant (that ones for you Jeff) stay awake I'm swilling back coffee like there's no tomorrow. Today I feel like a middle aged Butters. Maybe a switch to Airtricity I hear people saying?

Butters? Wasn't his name Tweak?

• Advertisement

Butters? Wasn't his name Tweak?
    by jove you're right

Him and that work get mentioned far too much around me.
    I studied him and that work for awhile and all was going well until I learned about his invention for keeping your socks up ... the strings that you run from your socks up your legs to the holes in your pockets so you can hold them while walking .... a little too weird for my liking :p

I fcukin hate Kant. There I said it.

I fcukin hate Kant. There I said it.
    Aquinas was the guy I wanted to set fire to. He wrecked my buzz for several months.

Aquinas was the guy I wanted to set fire to. He wrecked my buzz for several months.

not only was he a dickhead but he was a very very very very silly and wrong dickhead. 'What's that Thomas? You've made some proofs, go on........oh they're not actually proofs in the conventional sense? phuck off'

Yea in an alternate universe or the Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey heaven I'd like to see Socrates open up a can of elenchus on his ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

A friend of mine in college got a bit ****ed up with Derrida's deconstructionism and I don't know if he ever got back right. He's a Muslim now…

A friend of mine in college got a bit ****ed up with Derrida's deconstructionism and I don't know if he ever got back right. He's a Muslim now…

hahah genuine lol.

hahah genuine lol.

True story. He was in a mosque in Germany last I heard.

fcukin hell.
    I only did philosophy for my first year of college (mainly because there was still some theologians teaching), but regret not doing more learning about it subsequently.

• Advertisement

crikey that does sound messed up for him. Is he happy now?

fcukin hell.
    I only did philosophy for my first year of college (mainly because there was still some theologians teaching), but regret not doing more learning about it subsequently.

Philosophy I've always found a bit dry and tbh a bit studenty.

I always imagine it as the ramblings of middle class French and German people, suffering from insomnia and intellectual superiority complexes with a overwhelming sense of ennui.

Bleedin' students in other words…

Philosophy I've always found a bit dry and tbh a bit studenty.

I always imagine it as the ramblings of middle class French and German people, suffering from insomnia and intellectual superiority complexes with a overwhelming sense of ennui.

sounds like me.

crikey that does sound messed up for him. Is he happy now?

I don't know… I hope so. He was the nicest guy I know and a fantastic friend through college. He moved to Scotland after college and so we only met up infrequently over the next couple of years and then the last time I met he was a newly converted muslim off to Germany. He had always seemed slightly lost though…

I first encountered Philosophy as a teenage stoner who devoured Plato and the early boys for fun while 'out of it' but who was not mentally/spiritually/etc ready to deal with it somewhat objectively. 25+ years later I took on Philosophy as a major part of an overall Humanities degree that I'm still working through in between travels and music and it's much more fun and relevant to where I'm at.

hey Old Gregg, you're Australian aren't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

BaZmO* wrote: »
    You do know that there's no such thing as doing a detox?
    Great bit of that Bad Science book on detox quackery.

I can never hear the word detox without going into the "no such thing" rant. That said, I thought Bad Science was a bit too ranty. Its easy to see why he would be so pissed off but the way it was written just came across like a very long letter of complaint sent into the The Times or something.
    joker77 wrote: »
    I went to the shops on Wednesday evening and stocked up on loads of fruit, nuts, seeds, veg (that you can eat raw). That's basically all I'll be eating for a week. And porridge oats (again raw). No milk/dairy either. Nothing cooked or heated.

Why raw food? I understand the unprocessed bit but does eating food raw give that much extra benefit? And does that not mean you have to cut out meat or are you veggie already?

(She asks while tucking into a large box of Lily O'Brien chocolates and eating the rememnants of a Christmas gingerbread house)

hey Old Gregg, you're Australian aren't you?

O dear, this does all ring true. Yea, an Aussie who's come to the frozen north to take all the **** jobs no-one else wants :p

That said, I thought Bad Science was a bit too ranty. Its easy to see why he would be so pissed off but the way it was written just came across like a very long letter of complaint sent into the The Times or something.

Blasphemy!!!!
    Ah no I hear ya, but I enjoy ranty books, and by gum in his area of expertise there's quite a bit of ranting to be done.

• Advertisement

O dear, this does all ring true. Yea, an Aussie who's come to the frozen north to take all the **** jobs no-one else wants :p

Yes, i bet you raging your not in brisbane surfing right now:pac:

(Sorry, infractions may ensue with haste from mods now)

Advertisement