Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Supposedly Ivor Callely has been putting leaflets through doors in his constituency (Dublin North Central?) asking whether we want him to continue in public life (ie stand for election) after 'numerous false allegations'. Anyone get one of these leaflets? I'd love to see what's on them…

I really don't know if this is a wind up or not. Can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Supposedly Ivor Callely has been putting leaflets through doors in his constituency (Dublin North Central?) asking whether we want him to continue in public life (ie stand for election) after 'numerous false allegations'. Anyone get one of these leaflets? I'd love to see what's on them…

Pity i dont think it is true but it wouldnt have surprised me in the slightest if he was, he has huge cahones,

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/

ivorbudget2011a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He really does have a head you'd like to slap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    He really does have a head you'd like to slap
    or re-fashion into a triangle

The funniest part of the whole leaflet is,

'Yours sincerley'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Procrastinating proudly today so here's a topic for discussion in only the way this thread can deliver.......

For the last few years, I've been noticing an increasing number of kids being 'diagnosed' with 'learning difficulties'.
    In my limited experience, they're just kids who are a bit thick.

They have difficulty in learning because they're not very smart. Shouldn't the world just be honest and just call them 'below average intelligence'? Simple cause and effect.

And before y'all get all 'well there are different types of intelligence etc.', why is it in aptitude tests the trend suggests that excelling in one area means you most likely will excel in many if not all?

As far as I can see, it stems from parents/teachers in denial and this bizarre idea that everyone has a unique talent, which has absolutely no basis in evidence.

Discuss......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

It's pure fúcking bull**** that he has the cheek to mention the current economic state yet he robbed 80 grand from the taxpayers.

If I ran into a bank and robbed 80 grand I'd be done for a double digit amount of years, so why the fúck isn't he inside Mountjoy right now, let alone allowed run for TD again.

jtsuited wrote: »
    Procrastinating proudly today so here's a topic for discussion in only the way this thread can deliver.......

For the last few years, I've been noticing an increasing number of kids being 'diagnosed' with 'learning difficulties'.

They have difficulty in learning because they're not very smart. Shouldn't the world just be honest and just call them 'below average intelligence'? Simple cause and effect.

And before y'all get all 'well there are different types of intelligence etc.', why is it in aptitude tests the trend suggests that excelling in one area means you most likely will excel in many if not all?

As far as I can see, it stems from parents/teachers in denial and this bizarre idea that everyone has a unique talent, which has absolutely no basis in evidence.

Discuss......

OK, but is it not the case that kids that are a bit thick will actually come on better & although not reaching the awesome heights of your intellect are still better off for having received some specific care & attention in how they are taught?

But lets be sure what you are asking here, are you just asking for it to be cchanged from,

'children with special needs'

To,

'children with below average intelligence'

?

Regarding your observations on aptitude tests, perhaps you are right, you seem to be a man of many talents & a master of none:D

RMD wrote: »
    It's pure fúcking bull**** that he has the cheek to mention the current economic state yet he robbed 80 grand from the taxpayers.

If I ran into a bank and robbed 80 grand I'd be done for a double digit amount of years, so why the fúck isn't he inside Mountjoy right now, let alone allowed run for TD again.

Legalised gangsterism.

I say that with no sarcasm or jest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭francois

Not to mention badly behaved and poorly controlled kids who fall under the ridiculous "oppositional defiant disorder" or ODD

Not the fact that your little darling is just a brat..

• Advertisement

Regarding your observations on aptitude tests, perhaps you are right, you seem to be a man of many talents & a master of none:D

Absolutely. I have the attention span of a 7 year old kid and the work ethic of a mexican.

I'd say it's something similar to the spate of "Big-boned" and "Over-active Thyroid" kids society seems to be producing recently.

the adhd thing is thrown around far too often, but I've actually seen some pretty severe cases of it, where the kid was genuinely smart and well behaved but couldn't concentrate for more than a minute on anything.
    In at least two cases I saw, a big aul dose of Ritalin changed them immeasurably for the better. And the kids involved seemed to be a lot happier for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I'm in his constituency, and the word during the week was that he was going to run. Posters for FG went up yesterday but as yet, I haven't seen the lists of candidates running. If something comes through the door I'll scan it and post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

the adhd thing is thrown around far too often, but I've actually seen some pretty severe cases of it, where the kid was genuinely smart and well behaved but couldn't concentrate for more than a minute on anything.
    In at least two cases I saw, a big aul dose of Ritalin changed them immeasurably for the better. And the kids involved seemed to be a lot happier for it.

The flip side is a lot of kids who once would have gotten a sly slap around the head and told to shut up are now being given what are effectively slow release amphetamines. Long term mental effects are going to be pretty scary down the line IMO.

I'm very much of the South Park school of thought.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    effectively slow release amphetamines. Long term mental effects are going to be pretty scary down the line IMO.

Well im gonna be a scary bastard in my old age so, as i have had plenty of fast release of strong amphetamines for susatined periods over many years.:p

Well im gonna be a scary bastard in my old age so, as i have had plenty of fast release of strong amphetamines for susatined periods over many years.:p

You mean its going to get worse :eek:

ianuss wrote: »
    I'm in his constituency, and the word during the week was that he was going to run. Posters for FG went up yesterday but as yet, I haven't seen the lists of candidates running. If something comes through the door I'll scan it and post it.

That'd be great Ian, thanks.

problem is people are too quick to ascribe "conditions" to their kids when a lot of the time it is due to bad behaviour-True ritalin can work for some kids, but it may be over perscribed and doled out to any parent who can't cope ot lacks some parenting skills.
    However the sudden rise in thse conditions over the last 20 years or so just doesn't seem right, why have they suddenly appeared out of nowhere, these things don't exist in a vacuum, and handing out amphetamine to "difficult" kids should be a last resort.

francois wrote: »
    problem is people are too quick to ascribe "conditions" to their kids when a lot of the time it is due to bad behaviour-True ritalin can work for some kids, but it may be over perscribed and doled out to any parent who can't cope ot lacks some parenting skills.
    However the sudden rise in thse conditions over the last 20 years or so just doesn't seem right, why have they suddenly appeared out of nowhere, these things don't exist in a vacuum, and handing out amphetamine to "difficult" kids should be a last resort.

I'm probably going to be shot for saying this but a lot of it has to do with the rise of the amount of kids in childcare combined with parental guilt. Parents these days generally spend an awful lot less time with their kids and have the delusion that the time they spend with them should be 'quality time' and not time spent setting them on the straight and narrow. What you're left with is kids who feel they have no boundaries (and kids need boundaries believe me) and parents that have no idea how to discipline their kids when they go completely out of control. Which is easy for a parent to stomach:
    (a) their kid might have some form of behavioural problem and medicate them or
    (b) the parents have completely failed their children

Most parents are going to go with option a.

• Advertisement

and handing out amphetamine to "difficult" kids should be a last resort.

I agree with you, Barbiturates would be far more effective.:p

Which is easy for a parent to stomach:

Jesus, are you being serious?

I rarley will even give my little one calpol if i dont have to never mind anything else.

I rarley will even give my little one calpol if i dont have to never mind anything else.

I'm talking about parents with difficult kids. A lot of people it that situation would probably be more likely to drug their children than examine their own failings.

That said there are kids out there that do have ADHD that really do need the medication.

And Calpol? I eat that sh¡t for breakfast. Yummy!

In fairness, when was this actually clinically accepted as a diagnosis? I'm guessing sometime in the late 80s. Psychiatry is a field with continuous innovation; degrees of Autism such as Aspergers weren't even recognised till the early 90s and, while not as prevalent, are far more serious in their lifestyle impact.

the rise of the amount of kids in childcare combined with parental guilt.

That without a doubt has something to do with it, as well as issues with disciplining children and how one approaches this, so you can see why the medication route can be an easy one for stressed parents-
    That been said my parents generation could administer the odd slap without been made to feel like they were abusing their kids

That without a doubt has something to do with it, as well as issues with disciplining children and how one approaches this, so you can see why the medication route can be an easy one for stressed parents-
    That been said my parents generation could administer the odd slap without been made to feel like they were abusing their kids

The truth is though that you don't have to slap kids.

Locking them in wardrobes is far more effective…

yup I agree with you although the part in bold I don't quite agree with as the same could be said for countless numbers of mental illness.
    We could only really get an idea of what schizophrenia was when we discovered drugs that treated it. Same for major depressive disorder, bipolar disorder, etc.
    There is always the risk that broader societal problems will be medicalised, but there have been many real psychiatric disorders discovered only through the type of mechanism that we are seeing with Ritalin and ADD/ADHD.

That mechanism being a company comes up with a drug that seems to work on fairly vaguely defined conditions, push it like fcuk, and then refine the specifics of the condition and the drugs.....For instance, MAOI's were an accidental discovery that seemed to improve mood, and eventually 50 years later we are getting far more specific drugs that specifically treat differing types of clinical depression and anxiety disorders.

The real problem as I see it in this area is that people are misled in both directions.
    Quacks will tell you the whole thing is a scam, drug companies will market their wares as miracle cures, and the only people who know the actual facts are doctors whose jobs are to treat people and not educate the public.

A good example of it was Pfizer getting done for advertising using a ridiculously reductionist version of the serotonin hypothesis in the US. We know the hypothesis is wrong, but we also know that the drugs are lifesaving. In fact, after that case was publicized, there was an increase in suicide in the US allegedly caused by many people stopping their medication regimes because they had misinterpreted the case as being 'big pharma are running a scam'.

Exactly.

Ever see that episode of QI where they were talking about the effects on Coca Cola on kids?

Basically, it has absolutely no affect on kids compared to other soft drinks. It’s the way the parent behaves around the kid once they’re given the Coke. Kids pick up on this, then the parent picks up on this, and then it just escalates.

They said that they surveyed the issue on their website before the show and they still had parents saying that “their” kids were different and that it did have an affect, despite the evidence that says otherwise.

I'm probably going to be shot for saying this but a lot of it has to do with the rise of the amount of kids in childcare combined with parental guilt. Parents these days generally spend an awful lot less time with their kids and have the delusion that the time they spend with them should be 'quality time' and not time spent setting them on the straight and narrow. What you're left with is kids who feel they have no boundaries (and kids need boundaries believe me) and parents that have no idea how to discipline their kids when they go completely out of control. Which is easy for a parent to stomach:

Why would you get shot? It’s the truth.

It’s simple “over compensation”. Parents nowadays are too quick to jump to the defense of any failings/shortcomings/bad behaviour of their children. Not a bad thing in principle, but there should be some perspective about it.

There was some show on recently about obese kids and there was some mother saying that her morbidly obese child eats the same as all the other kids despite the fact that she was handing the little chunkster a plate of food that have your average international rugby forward refusing seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

The list of ailments I use to claim just so I could get a few swigs of Calpol is disturbing. Then I grew up and the maternal one started buying the Calpol 6 + which is vile vile stuff. Suddenly I was a lot healthier
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Exactly.

Ever see that episode of QI where they were talking about the effects on Coca Cola on kids?

There was some show on recently about obese kids and there was some mother saying that her morbidly obese child eats the same as all the other kids despite the fact that she was handing the little chunkster a plate of food that have your average international rugby forward refusing seconds.

I think they were saying all soft drinks in general, not just coke. So the sugar content itself doesn't really cause that much hyperactivity.

• Advertisement

I think they were saying all soft drinks in general, not just coke. So the sugar content itself doesn't really cause that much hyperactivity.
    No I'm fairly sure it was definitely Coca Cola.

Advertisement