Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm not into cricket but Ireland were 400/1 to beat England today, and just now one of the Irish guys has just scored the fastest ever century - and they now have the chance to win.. haha mad!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9409979.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm not into cricket but Ireland were 400/1 to beat England today, and just now one of the Irish guys has just scored the fastest ever century - and they now have the chance to win.. haha mad!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/9409979.stm
    they were 400/1 after they collapsed to 110/5 in the innings chase (like being 20 points behind at half time in a hurling match). I think the original odds was 10/1.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Seen the post from zascar recently yearning for this thread to return to being random,

Jeffs blog sucks.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Just heard Ivan Yates going on about stupid wimmin drivers there, after this was mentioned in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Seen the post from zascar recently yearning for this thread to return to being random

This is pretty random

Glad to see discrimination of young male drivers in insurance is now illegal. Premiums for males under 30 should go down a bit. Will apparently go up slightly for women, of course they are up in arms about it.

Glad to see discrimination of young male drivers in insurance is now illegal. Premiums for males under 30 should go down a bit. Will apparently go up slightly for women, of course they are up in arms about it.

All i can say is i drove like one crazy bastard in my mid twenties, frightens me now when i think back to some of the madness done in cars.

• Advertisement

I never had a problem with young males in modified cars being charged more. It wasn't really discrimination though was it - when young male drivers tend to crash they are pretty epic crashes and they are usually down to speed and carlessness. The problem with this is the knock on effect it has in other areas such as pension payments and the like.

It took me a while to realise that was their tail between their legs…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I never had a problem with young males in modified cars being charged more. It wasn't really discrimination though was it - when young male drivers tend to crash they are pretty epic crashes and they are usually down to speed and carlessness. The problem with this is the knock on effect it has in other areas such as pension payments and the like.

And yet the post-menopausal biddies doing 30 on motorways and parking on blind corners aren't penalised? Any time I've been in serious danger of being killed on the bike it's been due to a FEMALE driver, usually 40+, pulling out blindly, clipping the kerb, driving in buslanes, REVERSING WITHOUT LOOKING, OPENING CAR DOORS AFTER PARKING ON CYCLE LANES WITHOUT LOOKING. By far the worst drivers I know are older women, and they are by far the last penalised proportionately; in fact, many of them never had to pass any sort of full licence test, never mind the FAR more stringent test that young drivers have to pass nowadays.

There is a significantly higher proportion of men than women driving but instead of their insurance being higher we get discriminatory ad campaigns from the RSA with catchy slogans like

''He Drives, She Dies''

Which was held up in court after hundreds of complaints
    Decision of Commission:
    The Commission has considered the broadcast, the submissions made by the complainant, the advertiser and the broadcaster. The complaint concerns an advertisement placed by the Road Safety Authority. In assessing this complaint, the Commission had to have regard to the General Advertising Code and in particular Section 3, protecting the individual & society and offence, harm and human dignity.

The complainant submits that the advertisement is sexist and discriminates against men on the basis of both the content and the fact that all the voice-overs are female. The Commission noted the content of the advertisement. On hearing the broadcast, the Commission found that the message was that if a female does not trust a male’s driving, then she should not get into the car as in too many accidents involving male drivers, female passengers are fatally injured. The advertiser submitted research to the Commission which supports the substantive message of the advertisement. The facts provide evidence that over two-thirds of female passenger deaths involved a male driver (Road Safety Authority statistics). Another statistic which was submitted was that 89.5% of drivers responsible for fatal collisions where excessive speed was cited as a contributory factor were male drivers (based on statistics for years 1997 – 2006). Based on this supporting evidence, the Commission found that the substantive message of the advertisement is factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

have to say it's complete bullsh1t outlawing premium loading based on gender equality.

Young men are more of a risk on the road. I don't know the actuarial figures but i sincerely doubt they were based on nothing.

If universal health insurance comes in, women will be charged more (I would imagine) due to the cost of childbirth etc.

If you can't calculate premiums based on risk factors like gender, wtf can you base it on?

jtsuited wrote: »
    have to say it's complete bullsh1t outlawing premium loading based on gender equality.

Young men are more of a risk on the road. I don't know the actuarial figures but i sincerely doubt they were based on nothing.

Aye but it's completely unfair that its not weighted against the ratio of male:female drivers on the road. Not to mention that there are very very few female commercial or long-haul drivers of any description in this country.
    If universal health insurance comes in, women will be charged more (I would imagine) due to the cost of childbirth etc.

Men get injured more though, again because they work the more dangerous jobs, and a higher proportion of them work rather than home-keep.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    And yet the post-menopausal biddies doing 30 on motorways and parking on blind corners aren't penalised? Any time I've been in serious danger of being killed on the bike it's been due to a FEMALE driver, usually 40+, pulling out blindly, clipping the kerb, driving in buslanes, REVERSING WITHOUT LOOKING, OPENING CAR DOORS AFTER PARKING ON CYCLE LANES WITHOUT LOOKING. By far the worst drivers I know are older women, and they are by far the last penalised proportionately; in fact, many of them never had to pass any sort of full licence test, never mind the FAR more stringent test that young drivers have to pass nowadays.

The thing is that they aren't usually involved in accidents that involve huge insurance payouts. If they were then they would have to pay a higher insurance premium. That's the facts of it. Are you talking about being on a motorbike or a normal bicycle? My memory of cycling to work was that it was fookers in the bigger company cars that were offenders but then I was probably noticing the bad driving of this particular socio economic group more than any other. Everybody else was probably driving equally badly but I always noticed them more.
    There is a significantly higher proportion of men than women driving but instead of their insurance being higher we get discriminatory ad campaigns from the RSA with catchy slogans like

''He Drives, She Dies''

Which was held up in court after hundreds of complaints

Based on this supporting evidence, the Commission found that the substantive message of the advertisement is factual. That would say to me that they believed that the basic message of the ad was true. What was your point in relation to this?

Aye but it's completely unfair that its not weighted against the ratio of male:female drivers on the road. Not to mention that there are very very few female commercial or long-haul drivers of any description in this country.

The cost of insurance is different between commercial and long haul driving and your average private (I'm sure that's not the right term but you get where I'm coming from) insurance so how is that relevant?

Men get injured more though, again because they work the more dangerous jobs, and a higher proportion of them work rather than home-keep.

But women live longer…

I would VERY surprised if they haven't been taking the above into account.

I'm fairly sure that the average woman is more of a burden on the healthcare system than the average man.

I'm fairly sure that the average woman is more of a burden on the healthcare system than the average man.

So when you become ill you are a burden rather than a patient that needs help, unfortunate that you think that way jeff.

So when you become ill you are a burden rather than a patient that needs help, unfortunate that you think that way jeff.

haha. are you serious? We're talking about this in the financial context (as we were talking about health insurance). Certain people are more of a financial burden to the health system more than others (based on many things - gender, age, socioeconomic class, lifestyle, genetics).

• Advertisement

haha. are you serious? We're talking about this in the financial context (as we were talking about health insurance). Certain people are more of a financial burden to the health system more than others (based on many things - gender, age, socioeconomic class, lifestyle, genetics).

When you start too simply assess people based on how much financial strain they apply to the system you will inevitably begin to lose perspective on a human level.

In relation to Health you should not be assessed based on anything bar your need for treatment of whatever ails you.

In relation to Health you should not be assessed based on anything bar your need for treatment of whatever ails you.
    Ok then by your logic and semantics (and that's all it is), i'll rephrase......

an average woman over her lifetime will (because of childbirth mainly) have more need for treatment and should be charged a higher health insurance premium (over her lifetime) based on this very fact.

Ok then by your logic and semantics (and that's all it is), i'll rephrase......

an average woman over her lifetime will (because of childbirth mainly) have more need for treatment and should be charged a higher health insurance premium (over her lifetime) based on this very fact.

Ok thanks for the clarity,

I dont agree with Health insurance anyway.

Going back a bit, whats the story with your blog chief, it think i drop in more regularly than you to see what new?

Are you talking about being on a motorbike or a normal bicycle? My memory of cycling to work was that it was fookers in the bigger company cars that were offenders but then I was probably noticing the bad driving of this particular socio economic group more than any other. Everybody else was probably driving equally badly but I always noticed them more.

Cycling. Women on the school run in SUVs are by far the biggest culprits; if its not in their peripheral vision it just doesn't exist, and I'd be wearing a Hi-Vis on a fairly massive road bike, plus I'm 6'1.
    Based on this supporting evidence, the Commission found that the substantive message of the advertisement is factual. That would say to me that they believed that the basic message of the ad was true. What was your point in relation to this?

Sorry, the bit I left out was
    The Commission found that the message was intended to heighten awareness of a significant road safety issue. In the circumstances, it did so in a factual, non-discriminatory and moderate manner.

Ahahah, Non-Discriminatory and moderate? Thats an interesting interpretation.

Now, if there was a similar campaign but with gender replaced with say....another race or nationality, backed up by indisputable stats, do you think they'd dare launch a campaign? The white indigenous male has come full circle in terms of discrimination, for better or worse.

The cost of insurance is different between commercial and long haul driving and your average private (I'm sure that's not the right term but you get where I'm coming from) insurance so how is that relevant?

Just trying to hammer home that the vast VAST majority of driving in Ireland is done by males. It's about a 1:3/1:4 ratio. Indeed, from cursory (not hard and firm stats but I'm reasonably sure of their veracity) stats, women drive circa 25% of miles driven, and are involved in circa 36% of accidents. So per mile, women are the more dangerous drivers.

Also, another sociological phenomenon with the development of a commuter belt around Dublin has been the number of male drivers ''losing control of the car'' at moderate speeds; basically through overtiredness of a 4-5 hour commute every day.
    I would VERY surprised if they haven't been taking the above into account.

I've no citations or anything but would be happy to be proven wrong on that one. Not completely au fait with actuarial tabling.

Going back a bit, whats the story with your blog chief, it think i drop in more regularly than you to see what new?

yeah sorry about that, i'm in the middle of some hardcore studying at the moment to try and get into med-school so have neglected pretty much all online activity apart from the shoddy journalism.

Indeed, from cursory (not hard and firm stats but I'm reasonably sure of their veracity) stats, women drive circa 25% of miles driven, and are involved in circa 36% of accidents.

hmmmm.....well tbh if that's correct (which it probably is) i'm not sure it's relevant. the insurance premium is based on time covered and not per mile travelled.

I presume that if the premium was charged on a per mile basis, then women's premiums should be loaded.

yeah sorry about that, i'm in the middle of some hardcore studying at the moment to try and get into med-school so have neglected pretty much all online activity apart from the shoddy journalism.

How do you intend to get around the swearing to the gods,

Hipocratic oath,

"I swear by Apollo, the healer,Asclepius, Hygieia, and Panacea, and I take to witness all the gods, all the goddesses, to keep according to my ability and my judgment, the following Oath and agreement"

How do you intend to get around the swearing to the gods,

Hipocratic oath,

"I swear by Apollo, the healer,Asclepius, Hygieia, and Panacea, and I take to witness all the gods, all the goddesses, to keep according to my ability and my judgment, the following Oath and agreement"

er, you don't have to take the hippocratic oath. that's a myth.

although i do think it's a damn good oath as far as oaths go. And anywho, I love the Greek Gods as ideological beings.

And anywho, I love the Greek Gods as ideological beings.

Yoda & obi wan are great also:D

• Advertisement

er, you don't have to take the hippocratic oath. that's a myth.

In Ireland maybe, but in the better colleges in the states I'm 99% certain that you do; or some derivation of it anyway.

Advertisement