Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

seannash wrote: »
    Ah i know its more disregarding the medium not the message but it does make us aware of it and we dont choose to do anything about it.

well I'd argue, that in many cases (including my own), people know there is absolutely fcuk all that can be done about it in the bigger picture. Cancelling the debt was seen as the only way to make a difference, but that did fcuk all. Humanitarian aid has fcuked up things in the long run because it's not a feasible permanent solution.

I think if people think they can actually help by giving money to Trocaire etc., and choose not to, then yes that is a complete disregard for other human beings based on self interest. But I would hope that if people held that false opinion (that giving money to Trocaire will cause good in this world), that they would actually give money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    no but my point is, Trocaire are a missionary organisation. Seeing starving children being presented by Trocaire in order to carry out their work and disregarding it isn't the same as disregarding starving children because of pure self interest.

There is also the view that giving to aid is as effective a way of keeping corrupt governments in power in the third world as anything the US have ever done:

http://www.policynetwork.net/development/media/foreign-aid-funds-corruption-new-study-reveals

http://www.suite101.com/content/why-foreign-aid-has-failed-to-develop-africa-a105438

BaZmO* wrote: »

Huh, that’s my point. I said Police are afforded a higher standing in society, and because of this they expected to act accordingly, especially in the line of duty. Downtime, they can say what they like.

ok fair enough, point taken.

There is also the view that giving to aid is as effective a way of keeping corrupt governments in power in the third world as anything the US have ever done:

http://www.policynetwork.net/development/media/foreign-aid-funds-corruption-new-study-reveals

http://www.suite101.com/content/why-foreign-aid-has-failed-to-develop-africa-a105438

that's actually my view. charitable humanitarian aid achieves two things - 1. eases the western world of its guilt through some gesturing, and 2. puts a plaster over something that needs a serious fixing, not least because it was Western Colonial powers that fcuked it up to this extent in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

ianuss wrote: »
    They get paid fcuk all
    Really?

And if you think what those lads were saying is inappropriate you'd be having a hissy fit at some of the antics firemen get up to. I've a few firemen friends and the stories I hear off these lads are mental.
    While on duty at the scene of an incident, and directed at a member of the public?

Really?

While on duty at the scene of an incident, and directed at a member of the public?

er, the Guards weren't at the scene of an incident in this case, and they were not (to my knowledge) directing anything to a member of the public.

that's actually my view. charitable humanitarian aid achieves two things - 1. eases the western world of its guilt through some gesturing, and 2. puts a plaster over something that needs a serious fixing, not least because it was Western Colonial powers that fcuked it up to this extent in the first place.

Yeah, I remember reading an article, which I think was tied in with a book review for a book I can no longer remember the name of, which gave a very jaundiced view of aid organisations and their carry on in crisis areas. The most petty point I remember reading was of charities sticking their logos over other those of other charities in an effort to get more publicity when footage was shown on the news.

Also, there's been a near exponential growth in the amount of charity organisations out there all vying for the public money and it means none of the money is used effectively in any way, shape or form

The video footage shows the guards talking amongst themselves - nothing was directed at a member of the public.

er, the Guards weren't at the scene of an incident in this case, and they were not (to my knowledge) directing anything to a member of the public.
    Ah jaysis Jeff, you're just nitpicking now. My point is in reference to the Firemen statement by Ian.

Comparing comments made by friends who are Firemen while off duty is not the same as comments made by Gards, while on duty, (which they were) at members of the public specifically, although not directly.

I’ve problem with them talking about them, it’s just the content that’s questionable.

As an aside, what do people think about Frankie Boyle’s comment/joke about Jordan’s kid?

• Advertisement

As an aside, what do people think about Frankie Boyle’s comment/joke about Jordan’s kid?
    was pretty funny.

A very guilty laugh if I'm being honest.

I'm not really a fan of your man Boyle. He has the look of the fat ginger kid who everybody bullied in school and now he's out for revenge.

Just read the Mail online 'outrage' at the story. Last paragraph is classic:
    In November 2007, Heat magazine gave away a sticker bearing a picture of Harvey next to the words 'Harvey wants to eat me'.
    The then editor Mark Frith apologised and said 'no offence was intended.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1337095/Katie-Price-wants-apology-Frankie-Boyles-sexual-slur-disabled-son-Harvey.html

Really?

Yes and yes.

. He has the look of the fat ginger kid who everybody bullied in school and now he's out for revenge.
    you say that like it's a bad thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Ah Mise, that’s BS. The only time you’d call another human a Pig (that’s not in the Police) is when they’re being gluttonous, i.e. “Making a pig of the themselves”
    There’s no way you’d look at some morally reprehensible character and say, “That guy is a pig!”

No sorry baz, thats just how you would use the refernece, if i see someone like lets say Wayne rooney when he was doing the dirt on his missus when pregnanat as a PIG of a human being.

you say that like it's a bad thing!

But ginger kids are weird!!! They're all freckly and prone to skin cancer…

No sorry baz, thats just how you would use the refernece, if i see someone like lets say Wayne rooney when he was doing the dirt on his missus when pregnanat as a PIG of a human being.

Ah, I'd have said that Wayne was being a bit council…

huh? Pigs are adulterers now?
    Way more promiscuous animals out there to be fair.

Yes
    Even with overtime, I find that hard to believe.
    and yes.
    Pity that. But in fairness to Firemen, they do actually put their lives at risk on a daily basis so I suppose what ever it takes to release the pressure.

I'll have to take your word on that one.

I dont get the confusion of comparing people in a derogatory way because of their actions that affects others as a PIG:confused:

Why do you call someone 'scum'?

Is it because what they do is in someway replicating the production of a residual substance:rolleyes:

Come on lads you do get calling someone a 'PIG' doesnt mean you are comaparing the actions of said animal with what they are doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Sad but true, although I'd argue most of the people involved in humanitarian work are doing it for the right reasons

I dont get the confusion of comparing people in a derogatory way because of their actions that affects others as a PIG:confused:

Is it because what they do is in someway replicating the production of a residual substance:rolleyes:

Come on lads you do get calling someone a 'PIG' doesnt mean you are comaparing the actions of said animal with what they are doing?

Well scum makes sense because scum can often refer to unwanted algae that reproduce rampantly and end up destroying all other life in their environment by merely draining all the resources to exhaustion. Also, it is seen that micro-organisms normally referred to as scum are without conciousness.

Pigs aren't particularly known for their lack of empathy, or their adulterous nature. They are seen as being dirty because of a lot of socially constructed concepts.
    A newborn baby does not have a revulsion to faeces, does that make them oh so awful that we should call other people who display completely different behaviour as 'newborns'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

methinks they're baiting...

Well scum makes sense because scum can often refer to unwanted algae that reproduce rampantly and end up destroying all other life in their environment by merely draining all the resources to exhaustion. Also, it is seen that micro-organisms normally referred to as scum are without conciousness.

Ah yes thats what is in the back of everyones mind when they use the term:rolleyes:
    Pigs aren't particularly known for their lack of empathy, or their adulterous nature. They are seen as being dirty because of a lot of socially constructed concepts.
    A newborn baby does not have a revulsion to faeces, does that make them oh so awful that we should call other people who display completely different behaviour as 'newborns'?

If only quentin had thought of this reply to Jules when he said about pigs not having the sense to disregard their own shít,

pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

Ah yes thats what is in the back of everyones mind when they use the term:rolleyes:

If only quentin had thought of this reply to Jules when he said about pigs not having the sense to disregard their own shít,

pulp_fiction_jules.jpg

tbf, if I had been brought in as a script consultant, it would have been a better film.:p

tbf, if I had been brought in as a script consultant, it would have been a better film.:p

Well one thing is for sure, your arrogance knows no bounds jeff, just what we need in a physicist:eek:

Well one thing is for sure, your arrogance knows no bounds jeff, just what we need in a physicist:eek:

haha only windin ya up but I can tell you the one thing I won't be in my life is a physicist. where did ya get that notion from?

Even with overtime, I find that hard to believe.

But overtime is extra work, not free money - and it's certainly not infinite, and you're not guaranteed to get it. Being a Garda is not a well paid job.

I have as much disdain for the Gardai as the next person, but the truth is, it's a horrible job......dealing with deadheads, knackers and total cnuts on a daily basis - for hours a day! They're only human. I just think that to hold the Gardai up to be whiter than white all the time is totally unreasonable. They're poorly paid and very poorly trained.

haha only windin ya up but I can tell you the one thing I won't be in my life is a physicist. where did ya get that notion from?

Sorry just thinking back now did you not say you were studying physics at home there a while back?

• Advertisement

Sorry just thinking back now did you not say you were studying physics at home there a while back?

I was yeah but not to become a physicist. It's far worse than you thought Is Mise, I'm trying to become a doctor! As if I didn't have a Messiah complex before :D

Advertisement