Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Fat people disgust me. I actually feel nauseous looking at a fat person eat. There should be a seperate section in restaurants for them......either that or get them to eat out of a trough and shame them into losing weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'm a little dubious, a perfect slimming pill with negligible side effects? I don't have a major problem, would just have to know a little more about how it works

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ianuss wrote: »
    Fat people disgust me. I actually feel nauseous looking at a fat person eat. There should be a seperate section in restaurants for them......either that or get them to eat out of a trough and shame them into losing weight.
    Jaysus
    How about people who are getting a little pudgy:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

joker77 wrote: »
    I'm a little dubious, a perfect slimming pill with negligible side effects? I don't have a major problem, would just have to know a little more about how it works

May as well point out I haven't the foggiest notion how it will work, but believe me it will happen. The pharmaceutical industry has got fcuk all else to do for the next few years and whichever company gets to the perfect safe slimming pill first will be the champion forever.

seannash wrote: »
    Jaysus
    How about people who are getting a little pudgy:o

Stay indoors 'til that slimming pill comes out :)

• Advertisement

jtsuited wrote: »
    here's an ethical conundrum for ya since we're on the subject.

In the next 10-15 years they WILL develop the perfect slimming pill (as in negligible side effects etc.).
    A few people will go mental saying that it will be a step too far etc., but lately I've been thinking it's merely a man-made technological solution to a man-made technological problem. Discuss.....

If it puts an end to seeing fat birds in belly tops I'm all for it.

Gotta say whilst i was in NY i was skinny and my diet wa very very bad.Pizza and fast food is really cheap and delicious too.
    Back here i eat salads every day for lunch(which i actually do enjoy) but im gaining weight.
    I know i dont do a physical job anymore and that has alot to do with it but my god i dread to think if i ate like i did in the states now.Id be a fecking whale

have a lovely bit of muffin.

I'm not so sure it's that achievable. Actually maybe, if the pill worked two-fold: first it caused your body to only take the nutrition it needed and dump out the rest, second to find some way of turning the excess fat into sh1t. Simple really....

Seriously though, not so sure we'll see the perfect slimming pill that easily.

Apart from the already existing one - mdma!

Stay indoors 'til that slimming pill comes out :)
    Ha
    God they better be coming soon

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure it's that achievable. Actually maybe, if the pill worked two-fold: first it caused your body to only take the nutrition it needed and dump out the rest, second to find some way of turning the excess fat into sh1t. Simple really....

Man they'll easily do it. it's already got to the stage that big-pharma has to make up diseases for their new drugs. 15 years is a bloody lifetime in pharmaceuticals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

No I hadn't seen that, but all it tells me is that its best to never smoke, good to give up as early as possible and worst to continue smoking. No matter how you want to justify it, smoking is not good for you and will be detrimental to life - both from a health and cost perspective. And I'm the worst kind as an ex-smoker - coming from 30 a day for several years.

But I'll admit to indulging in a few when in scenarios where I'm not operating on full mental capacity in terms of will power! Thats another debate though.

Granted I'm a bottle of wine to the good at this stage but, am I seeing the first chart right?
    Statistically, for a couple of years at least, you will live longer if you smoked and quit than if you never smoked at all?

milltown wrote: »
    Granted I'm a bottle of wine to the good at this stage but, am I seeing the first chart right?
    Statistically, for a couple of years at least, you will live longer if you smoked and quit than if you never smoked at all?

Ye, looks like the body builds up its immune system in response. Glad I gave up when I did. Quit when I was 23 after smoking for about 10 years.

i think it's to do with basically if you're the type to quit smoking while you're in your twenties, chances are you're probably healthier in general.

Damnit - I thought I had special healing powers. But your explanation would also make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Point one : Only taking in the nutrition you need.

This can't really be done, your body is a system, from ingestion to defecation. It can't be bypassed. If you run something through it then that something is going to be broken down and processed. Sugars/carbs etc to glycogen, proteins to amino acids and fats (to put it bluntly) just get broken down into smaller fat molecules. Then it all passes through assorted lengths of pipe designed very specifically to pull all the pieces into the blood stream and get rid of the rest...which ends up mainly being cellulose and the kind of **** that ends up in modern food that your body can't absorb anyway. After that it goes through any number of other assorted systems to get to where it needs to be (glycogen to organs, muscles, the brain etc ) amino acids to muscles and fat to adipose sites around the body. Excess glycogen becomes adipose and is stored as fat.

Now, here is the tricky part for any designer pill looking to interfere. The Endocrinol system requires fats to produce assorted hormones your body needs. There are volumes and volumes or research that show us that low fat intake and having too low a bodyfat percentage badly effects hormonal outputs. So you can't really **** around with fats because if your body doesn't get them the right way it's ****ed, if they remain suspended in your blood stream you are ****ed and if you try and block there entry in the intestines you have no real way to determine how severe that will be.

The brain runs on glycogen, without it you end up in a state called Ketosis and i can hand on heart say that a brain running on Ketosis sucks. It doesn't function properly at all. You can't substitute for very long and you will need glycogen or you will end up dribbling on yourself. A lot. Your muscles also need glycogen for fuel and once again, without it you are weak as a kitten and thrice as ugly. Your muscles become flat, the muscular tissue also stores water in conjunction with glycogen so dehydration can become a real factor. Add in assorted organ function from glycogen and you are gonna to have one hell of a hard time finding the relevant compounds etc to properly regulate the levels of uptake required by your various bodily parts. I will actually say right now (and should it ever happen people can rejoice in telling me how wrong i was ) that this will never happen.

Amino acids are also used for a thousand things in the body, and protein that you don't use that you eat has to leave. The normal route ( once again i am cutting out a lot of the science guff ) is via the kidneys. You definitely don't want to be straining them with amino acids that could have been stored in the muscles, used for bodily function and repair or stored as fat.

Basically what i am getting at is that the body is a highly complex beast, with a vast assortment of functions that require different levels of availability of things that we derive from the macro nutrients in our diets in differing orders.

As such, function one as required will, in my estimation, never happen.

I'll do the second bit tomorrow because i'm pretty tired at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

BaZmO* wrote: »
    On a related subject, I just had my first BBQ of the year tonight. I won't say "Nyom Nyom" cos I know you hate it, but it was absolutely beautiful......and the first of many! :)

I think i'll have one tomorrow with a load of gargle:D
    Scumbags, you've obviously never had a BBQ carrot :pac:

No, but a salmon is mighty on the BBQ:)
    And the main thing that we have to control is our calorie intake. Less calories, less subcutaneous fat, less stress on our cardiovascular system.

There are indeed some tenuous (not at all as clear as the press would like to make out) links between high beef consumption and certain stomach and bowel cancers but overall, to look at the Western diet in a 'oh we've completely been doing it all wrong' way is simply wrong.
    End Rant.

Oh jesus, Jeffs really getting through the chapters studying to be doctor, mmust have read the nutrition one recently jeff, yes?

you said 'we're the first generation'. As far as I know (and I'm not an epidemiologist or anything like it), the obesity in the US issue was based on a trend, and doesn't really have too much to do with Europe.

Is that next up to study just in case you have to respond to a post on the net about it?:pac::pac:
    Have you seen this?
    F4.large.jpg

Meh, i can make graphs in excel to you know:p

But just in case it is based on some real data, i gave up about 10 year ago:D
    Btw, if any of you have travelled to the states for more than a few days and not put on weight, Lord Bless ya.

I went to NY for 3 weeks, lost weight due to pure alcohol & narcotic intake negelecting to observe the usual necessities like sleeping & eating.
    I was in New York a few years back. I was a vegetarian, ran 10k a day and weighed 10 and a half stone (for a man of 6'3 that's clinically underweight). I was there for two weeks and nearly put on 2 stone.

Coincidence, i am also 6'3 & weigh 13.5 stone, half a stone over for my height apparently, will be rid of that before the summer starts proper.

Ah come on now joker, you would horse a pill into ya without knowing waht was in it if i just told ya it was a Dove of old, no?

Oh jesus, Jeffs really getting through the chapters studying to be doctor, mmust have read the nutrition one recently jeff, yes?

Nah, have always had an interest.

Is that next up to study just in case you have to respond to a post on the net about it?:pac::pac:
    Haha, probably. Epidemiology is a fascinating area.

Meh, i can make graphs in excel to you know:p

sorry, should have pointed out, that graph is from the BMJ and is based on a colossal sample size.

Point one : Only taking in the nutrition you need.

This can't really be done, your body is a system, from ingestion to defecation. It can't be bypassed. If you run something through it then that something is going to be broken down and processed. Sugars/carbs etc to glycogen, proteins to amino acids and fats (to put it bluntly) just get broken down into smaller fat molecules. Then it all passes through assorted lengths of pipe designed very specifically to pull all the pieces into the blood stream and get rid of the rest...which ends up mainly being cellulose and the kind of **** that ends up in modern food that your body can't absorb anyway. After that it goes through any number of other assorted systems to get to where it needs to be (glycogen to organs, muscles, the brain etc ) amino acids to muscles and fat to adipose sites around the body. Excess glycogen becomes adipose and is stored as fat.

Now, here is the tricky part for any designer pill looking to interfere. The Endocrinol system requires fats to produce assorted hormones your body needs. There are volumes and volumes or research that show us that low fat intake and having too low a bodyfat percentage badly effects hormonal outputs. So you can't really **** around with fats because if your body doesn't get them the right way it's ****ed, if they remain suspended in your blood stream you are ****ed and if you try and block there entry in the intestines you have no real way to determine how severe that will be.

The brain runs on glycogen, without it you end up in a state called Ketosis and i can hand on heart say that a brain running on Ketosis sucks. It doesn't function properly at all. You can't substitute for very long and you will need glycogen or you will end up dribbling on yourself. A lot. Your muscles also need glycogen for fuel and once again, without it you are weak as a kitten and thrice as ugly. Your muscles become flat, the muscular tissue also stores water in conjunction with glycogen so dehydration can become a real factor. Add in assorted organ function from glycogen and you are gonna to have one hell of a hard time finding the relevant compounds etc to properly regulate the levels of uptake required by your various bodily parts. I will actually say right now (and should it ever happen people can rejoice in telling me how wrong i was ) that this will never happen.

Amino acids are also used for a thousand things in the body, and protein that you don't use that you eat has to leave. The normal route ( once again i am cutting out a lot of the science guff ) is via the kidneys. You definitely don't want to be straining them with amino acids that could have been stored in the muscles, used for bodily function and repair or stored as fat.

Basically what i am getting at is that the body is a highly complex beast, with a vast assortment of functions that require different levels of availability of things that we derive from the macro nutrients in our diets in differing orders.

As such, function one as required will, in my estimation, never happen.

I'll do the second bit tomorrow because i'm pretty tired at the moment.
    Ah Dragan... have missed such posts. Don't be in the fitness forum at all these days - do you still post there?

The bit where I said 'Seriously though', was my rubbishing what I just said about it being simple to just take the nutrition you need from food and sh*t out the rest. Thanks the science though, wouldn't have had the required knowledge to explain it so well.
    Ah come on now joker, you would horse a pill into ya without knowing waht was in it if i just told ya it was a Dove of old, no?
    you know me so well....

I was saying I was dubious though in that I don't think it's easily acheivable

Ah Dragan... have missed such posts. Don't be in the fitness forum at all these days - do you still post there?

The bit where I said 'Seriously though', was my rubbishing what I just said about it being simple to just take the nutrition you need from food and sh*t out the rest. Thanks the science though, wouldn't have had the required knowledge to explain it so well.

You may be interested in a book i read some time ago, still have somewhere at home, very insightful into how the body fuels itself,

The energy of life - Guy Browne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Gonna just bypass all that meat cancer stuff as love my meat and no feckin way am i gonna stop eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think i'll have one tomorrow with a load of gargle:D
    It's funny though, tomorrow will be a total BBQ meatfest in Ireland on a day that is a religious fast day in Holy Catholic Ireland. Oh how times have changed.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's funny though, tomorrow will be a total BBQ meatfest in Ireland on a day that is a religious fast day in Holy Catholic Ireland. Oh how times have changed.

That is why i posted it, good friday was always good cause we made sure we had enough gargle bought on the thursday to last us all day, might just throw an auld salmon on to the BBQ anyway to appease the gods amidst all the meat eating:D:pac::):p;)

Nomnomnomnom:pac::pac::pac:

(that ones for scuba just because he detests it;))

Although you might not protest at this one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

am I the only one around here who's been fasting since the beginning of lent? Between the stigmata and the chaffing I'm as sore as hell and now I have to deal with the rampaging sinfulness of you lot and your nom nom frickin' nom :mad::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

old gregg wrote: »
    am I the only one around here who's been fasting since the beginning of lent? Between the stigmata and the chaffing I'm as sore as hell and now I have to deal with the rampaging sinfulness of you lot and your nom nom frickin' nom :mad::D

I too have been fasting, it's been January since ive seen the inside of a club:D so it's long overdue and good Friday is the night, bring it on:cool:
    (and for a good cause too)
    http://www.fac51thehacienda.com/news/2011/03/manchester-japan-love-x-sankeys-22-april/1961

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

15 years is a bloody lifetime in pharmaceuticals.
    Pffttt! Jonnny's got another 10 on that!

Wow, absolutely unbelievable achievement - no safety equipment either.

Wow, absolutely unbelievable achievement - no safety equipment either.

Ye ye ye:p

This dude is the man, alain robert

Alain+Robert.jpg

Ye ye ye:p

This dude is the man, alain robert

Alain+Robert.jpg

Aye, that fella's a mentalist.

• Advertisement

Aye, that fella's a mentalist.

I watched a show before with a psychologist on explaining that while everyone says,

'that guy is insane'

He explained that in fact he is further from insane than you or i, it was along the lines that he has conquered the uncontrollable side of the mind that generates fear in such situations & he is able to conciously supress it & maintain focus without allowing fearful thoughts enter his mind & subsequently distract him which could result in a wrong move & death.

Advertisement