Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

ianuss wrote: »
    That ping thing came back 100%. ISP is Vodafone. I checked for driver updates and it said I was up to date already, are you saying I should look for a windows 7 one instead?

Win7 and vista use the same drivers really-did you check the driver using the decive manager or did you go to the manufacturer's website?
    anyway try resetting the tcp stack (it will reset the nic's)-if that doesn't work ask Vodafone for a line check, there may be noise on the line, causing interference...Have you checked if this occurs on a different DSL service

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zascar wrote: »
    I wonder how many of us here actually work in IT?
    I don't think Ian does :D
    I'm a retard when it comes to computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm not in front of my home laptop at the moment but from what I remember, you can use Vista to check its access to the Internet to see if/where it's falling over. You need to right-click on Network (click Start first) and click Properties. You should get something like this...

network-connections-shortcut1.png

When your browser is freezing, go in here and see if Windows can connect to the Internet by clicking on the Internet Globe. This test will go from Windows to your router and to the Internet if available, or it will tell you where you're failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

francois wrote: »
    Win7 and vista use the same drivers really-did you check the driver using the decive manager or did you go to the manufacturer's website?
    anyway try resetting the tcp stack (it will reset the nic's)-if that doesn't work ask Vodafone for a line check, there may be noise on the line, causing interference...Have you checked if this occurs on a different DSL service

Thanks a million for this btw Francois - greatly appreciated.

I tried upgrading using the device manager. I'll check the manufacturer's site now.

I tried the tcp but got this message;
    echo request, failed.
    the requested operation requires elevation
    requesting global, failed
    requesting interface, failed

There's no user specified settings to be reset

I haven't checked different DSL settings. I think I'll just get on to Vodafone and see if they can shed some light on it. The last few days the router has been getting diconnected at 6.30pm and also around 1am. Not sure if there's any connection between that and the problem with my laptop.

When the internet crashes on mine, the main PC is fine. This is why I hate computers. So frustrating.

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm not in front of my home laptop at the moment but from what I remember, you can use Vista to check its access to the Internet to see if/where it's falling over. You need to right-click on Network (click Start first) and click Properties. You should get something like this...

When your browser is freezing, go in here and see if Windows can connect to the Internet by clicking on the Internet Globe. This test will go from Windows to your router and to the Internet if available, or it will tell you where you're failing.

I did that and everything appears fine. The laptop picks up the router, and the signal strength is very good. When I run the check, windows says there is no connection problem. It should work, but it doesn't. Strange.

• Advertisement

I tried upgrading using the device manager. I'll check the manufacturer's site now.

echo request, failed.

I haven't checked different DSL settings. I think I'll just get on to Vodafone and see if they can shed some light on it. The last few days the router has been getting diconnected at 6.30pm and also around 1am. Not sure if there's any connection between that and the problem with my laptop.

When the internet crashes on mine, the main PC is fine. This is why I hate computers. So frustrating.

You're going to have to locate the command prompt (Start - All Programs - Accessories - Command Prompt), right-click on it and run it as Administrator before entering these commands. It's one of the crap things about Vista.

echo request, failed.

no bother-btw you will need to run the netsh command as an administrator that is why it is failing: go to start>All programs>accessories and right click command prompt choose run as administrator, then try running the command

If Windows is seeing the network ok through the Network Configuration screen, it's possibly pointing to something with your browser(s). Try this with Internet Explorer. Go to the Control Panel - Network & Internet - Internet Options - Advanced - Reset. This will reset IE completely so that if there are any plugins or anything blocking it, they'll be removed. Try getting to the Internet now through IE

Cheers lads - I've followed all your suggestions. I'll leave it for now and see what happens.

Pints are on me at the next meet-up.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers, I'll have a Heineken!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Cheers lads - I've followed all your suggestions. I'll leave it for now and see what happens.

Pints are on me at the next meet-up.

Im equally as retarded when it comes to computers, but i had, what sounds like the same problem when i was using a new laptop in my house.It drove me mad, NTL and the computer manufacturer were of no use.

I sorted it by downloading the new drivers for the router from the manufacturers website, pluging the computer into the router and upgrading.

if thats any use

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

out of interest, I'd consider two smaller tests along the way .... when the Browser crashes can you still run the ping tests? This gives you a possible indication as to whether the problem exists internal or external to your computer.

Secondly, try starting the computer in safe mode with network and see if you can keep a 'net connection going while everything else is stopped.

Your ISP may ask you to try the first one of those tests because they will be hoping it's your problem and not theirs.

That ping thing is very handy alright. The internet one, not the punching of the face.

If/when it crashes again I'll run that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

think i may have posted this before but it's the most inexplicably funny thing i think i've ever seen......
    A lion stuffed by a taxidermist in 1731 in Sweden - the taxidermist had never seen a lion before so had to make do........

stuffed_lion.jpg

jtsuited wrote: »
    think i may have posted this before but it's the most inexplicably funny thing i think i've ever seen......
    A lion stuffed by a taxidermist in 1731 in Sweden - the taxidermist had never seen a lion before so had to make do........

came across this on the guardian'a site

http://crappytaxidermy.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

francois wrote: »
    came across this on the guardian'a site

http://crappytaxidermy.com/

great site

tumblr_ld2azbvZWF1qze1jro1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

stuffed_lion.jpg

Humour me here, but did he not see what a lion looks like when it arrived on his bench? Before he taxidermed it?

milltown wrote: »
    Humour me here, but did he not see what a lion looks like when it arrived on his bench? Before he taxidermed it?

He most likely would have just had the skin, not the internal gunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

SuprSi wrote: »
    He most likely would have just had the skin, not the internal gunk.

They only thing I know is that if I ever win the euromillions that's the first thing on my to buy list.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Need a bit of help (probably from Ian). That Expat Launch Shield you recommended the other day, keeps asking me for a login username and pass when it connects. Is there one?

• Advertisement

Eddie Ere wrote: »
    Need a bit of help (probably from Ian). That Expat Launch Shield you recommended the other day, keeps asking me for a login username and pass when it connects. Is there one?

No, nothing like that. That's weird - works fine for me. I just start up the programme and it works......no passwords or anything.

I use it on chrome, dunno if that makes a difference or not?

Yeah, It says connected, then a window with

"The server box.anchorfree.net:80 at KWGR614 requires a username and password"

pops up. Using Chrome also, and have uninstalled and reinstalled too. Odd..

I defo never got anything like that. I thought it was idiot proof tbh.

I'm a capper when it comes to technology, I can just about manage to do the internets. Maybe try google and see if anyone else has had the same problem

Google search directs me to this thread!

No worries, I'll have a look for an alternative cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Looks like hollywood has found another winner:

The_Human_Centipede_1.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1467304/

Already have 2 and 3 lined up aswell

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1530509/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1883367/

google links to this thread?? uh-oh

I've a feeling the content of this thread will be somehow read aloud in court someday.

milltown wrote: »

Yeah he would have just had the hide and probably the tongue (judging by how prominent it is!!!).

google links to this thread?? uh-oh

I've a feeling the content of this thread will be somehow read aloud in court someday.

That's your medical career shotdown even before it has begun

• Advertisement

ain't that the truth!

Advertisement