Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

seannash wrote: »
    maybe he credits the sample like nost people do with releases like that.

is there a way to check the credits on digital downloads?

Credits are normally on discogs right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Pardon my ignorance but who uses this sample

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Something in another thread just twigged a memory from a dream I had last night. Or was it a nightmare?

I was DJing at a house party, playing vinyl from my record box. The longer I played the further the decks went apart, so by the end I had to run to the other end of the table which was metres away to switch the record.

While I cued up a record, another guy put on a tune - taking my cued up record off the deck (I had to run to the middle of the table to get the mixer ready). Bit of a row ensued because I wasn't finished, I then noticed my record box had been stolen.

Searched for it, the lads putting on the party seemed the likely candidates, but wouldn't admit to it.

Went outside, some mates were out there, and some cousins - told them the situation and to get ready - we were going to go in to the party and tear it apart looking for the record box.

Went back in on my own first for one final attempt to get the record box back - the lads inside knew what I was planning with the group outside (to storm the place), so they had kidnapped my girlfriend.

Situation was getting pretty grim, police arrived (somebody in my group - who didn't know about the kidnapping - had called them, obviously thinking this was smarter than a full scale riot which I had planned).

Can't remember a whole lot after that.

Just thought I had this to the Random Thread. As it was pretty f*cking random.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Thats terrible.

Best of luck with getting your records back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭ianuss

Eddie Ere wrote: »

Best of luck with getting your records back.

surely this is another reason why mp3/digital is a superior format :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Pardon my ignorance but who uses this sample

They do mention it on the Defected Soundcloud page. I was using the term 'ripped off' a bit loosely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

They do mention it on the Defected Soundcloud page. I was using the term 'ripped off' a bit loosely.
    ah yeah knew you werent serious with the ripped off comment but it goes to show you that if recognisable samples are used they credit them.

id imagine it would take the shine off tensnake a bit if you were a fan to know its basically a sampled song with very little original content

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

id imagine it would take the shine off tensnake a bit if you were a fan to know its basically a sampled song with very little original content
    In fairness though, it's what you do with the samples that's important.

I love this clip which shows just how creative you can be. (think it's been posted a few times)

Think the main issue is whether you get the royalties or not. I remember seeing James Brown being interviewed years ago and he was so p1ssed about his stuff being sampled and never getting royalties, particularly in the Hip Hop fraternity.

And on the flip side, I remember an interview with Huey from the Fun Lovin Criminals where he was saying that they never got proper clearance for the Pulp Fiction sample on their Scooby Snacks track and and as a result Quentin Tarantino gets all the royalties for the track.

BaZmO* wrote: »

I love this clip which shows just how creative you can be. (think it's been posted a few times)

Think the main issue is whether you get the royalties or not. I remember seeing James Brown being interviewed years ago and he was so p1ssed about his stuff being sampled and never getting royalties, particularly in the Hip Hop fraternity.

And on the flip side, I remember an interview with Huey from the Fun Lovin Criminals where he was saying that they never got proper clearance for the Pulp Fiction sample on their Scooby Snacks track and and as a result Quentin Tarantino gets all the royalties for the track.
    ah yeah the sort of sampling liam howlett did is fantastic but the tensnake track is pretty much the same track

• Advertisement

ah yeah the sort of sampling liam howlett did is fantastic but the tensnake track is pretty much the same track

You heard of Duck Sauce? They're A-Trak and Armand Van Helden. They're last big tune was called Anyway, and was basically a remastered version of a Final Edition tune.

Their upcoming tune, which everyone's talking about, is called Barbara Streisand. It's so hyped that there are about 5 remixes of it on youtube and it hasn't even been released yet. It's again a remastered version of Boney M - Gotta Go Home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

BaZmO* wrote: »

That's fascinating. Pardon the dumbass question, but is that how the original tune was written, with all those samples? I've done a fair bit of production over the years but never messed around with samples like that. He makes it look so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

This tune is along those lines in comparison to the original, but a brilliant one nonetheless:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

SuprSi wrote: »
    That's fascinating. Pardon the dumbass question, but is that how the original tune was written, with all those samples? I've done a fair bit of production over the years but never messed around with samples like that. He makes it look so easy.
    It's not a dumbass question. I'd imagine it is the way the original was made. If not, yer man Pavloff is a freaking genius. I think the Acid Synth is the only original part.

Although, I've just checked the sleeve notes on FOTL and there's only one sample credited for SMBU......strange, as Howlett generally credits all the samples he uses.

It was brilliant to watch, really cool the see the whole process sped up like that. I'm amazed that more or less the whole tune was written with samples. Spotting which bits of a song would work and manipulating them like that takes some talent.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I'm back planning that holiday to Thailand. Doing Bangkok then Chang Mai, and then heading down south - east side, but I've no idea what to do then. Can anyone help?

I'm thinking Phuket for a few days and Phi Phi for a few days. Anywhere else?

How long should I spent in Chang Mai? What hotel is recommended in bangkok, somewhere central. I hear the one with the swimming pool on the roof is great!

Zascar wrote: »
    Guys I'm back planning that holiday to Thailand. Doing Bangkok then Chang Mai, and then heading down south - east side, but I've no idea what to do then. Can anyone help?

How long should I spent in Chang Mai? What hotel is recommended in bangkok, somewhere central. I hear the one with the swimming pool on the roof is great!
    Phuket and Phi Phi are on the west side though, not east?

From what I hear Phuket is a hole full of English louts and thai brazzers, so I'd be avoiding that. Phi Phi is pretty resorty, think it was rebuilt after the tsunami.

Depends what you're after really - last year we went for 3 weeks to Thailand and spent 2 of those in Koh Lanta which is south of Phi Phi - small island, quiet. Flew into Krabi got to Lanta from there, but you can also ferry from Phi Phi. Stayed in the Emerald bungalows, and island hopped from there - a couple of day trips and a couple of nights on another island (the name escapes me) - the smaller island was only accessible by slow boat. Pretty isolated, perfect for what we wanted.

Zascar wrote: »

phi phi for 2 days max.theres little to do there to be perfectly honest.unless you book scuba or day trips to other islands.one thing you should do that is based in phi hi is the overnight stay on maya beach(where the beach was filmed)
    only 1 tour operator is allowed to spend the night on the island and its a great buzz to be sitting on the beach and watching all the other tours leaving the beach and having your crew still there.
    bring your laptop and some speakers and at night have a little party.

at night the water flashes silver when you move in it because of the plankton reflecting the moonlight.its savage

apart from that and the bar where tourists fight thai fighters for free beers phi hi isnt great.

All depends what you're after Zascar?

I'm not the kind of person who likes moving around a lot on holidays. If I was travelling for a few months it would be different - I wouldn't mind moving every couple of days because you get used to that. But for a 3 week holiday - I'd like to find the right place and spend at least half the time in one spot, chilling out, getting to know the area/people. What I've found is that you only really get a feel for a place once you've been there a few days, and I generally like places off the beaten track

stuidly fast computer

bit of a geeky video but it is lightning quick

http://wimp.com/samsungssds/

• Advertisement

I saw that before, very impressive. All they need is for the disks to drop in price for them to become more accessible to everyone but they're definitely the way forward.

Hahahaha nerdy coolness. So pardon my ignorance, but why does having 24tb of disk speed your computer up. If you have 2 SSD's would it not be as fast? Does it not mainly depend on memory and processing speeds?

That copy of the 700mb file was ridiculous though.....

Depending on the way the disks are configured, you could be writing/reading from 24 disks rather than 2, so that means (theoretically speaking) that you could have 24 times the available data bandwidth. It basically opens up more I/O channels and gives the data more space to move.

I should add that SSD disks still have data limitations, though rather than being limited by the speed the disk platter can spin and how quickly the disk head can read data, they're limited by the available data bandwidth and how quick the physical memory chips in the disks are, and as electronic beats mechanical hands down performance wise, they'll always be quicker.

So how much are they? It would be cool to have a small one for your OS etc and just put all your other junk on a SATA

Well this is where the problem is. You could probably buy a 16GB drive for €100 but it would be pretty low end, and 16Gb won't get you far. I've seen 250GB drives for over €700 though.

You can get some indicative pricing here;

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/ssd.asp

I'd absolutely love a PC with a few of them in it but you're talking serious cash. Give them a few years and they'll be more reasonably priced, and I'd reckon they'll completely take over standard hard disks in the near future too, except maybe in the corporate market.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Look at this band. Their identity is totally unknown yet they are famous on Youtube. mad.. and really cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WDbAFvt6A

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ciarakitten

Look at this band. Their identity is totally unknown yet they are famous on Youtube. mad.. and really cool video.

It's a bird called Jonna Lee and her band.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonna_Lee_(singer)#iamamiwhoami

• Advertisement

Spotted this on the Weather forum. Mad storm front that looks more like something out of Independence Day

Advertisement