Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

261330_10150309329575260_65633730259_9635737_802704_n-376x225.jpg

That is all…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

crikey, skimming through the Oxegen thread over on gigs and some guy tried to eat himself while on drugs :eek:

like, you'd have the old teeth grinding on cheap sweets caper but wtf drug prompts someone to look down at their own hands and get peckish? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Baps Brunker setting the record straight.

She's a complete and utter dikkhead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really really tried, but I could not force myself to watch more than 15 seconds of that

Ha, it's worth it alone just to see the two boys flirting away with each other at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Shameless plug:

Bit of CalvinH/Example/Strokes/SHM:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIzWZO5TAE
    Bit of Mau5:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZQ319JKbfI

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Holidays soon, can't feckin wait - currently selecting some new albums to bring with me, a routine part of holidays at this stage. Same as for books - I have to admit to never reading 1984 or Animal Farm and wondered what the good folks of these parts recommend if I only go with one? I've selected this one too on a recommendation from a mate of mine - 'Life & Fate'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Fate-Vasily-Grossman/dp/0099506165/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310675272&sr=8-1

Any other must have books for holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I wouldn't have put the two you've suggested in the holiday book category.

Animal Farm would be more allegorical in the sense that it's more a story and thereby probably the easier of the two to read, although it was a very very long time since I read it. 1984 is a bit more full on so maybe a bit tough for a holiday read.

If you haven't read it I'd suggest To Kill A Mocking Bird, amazing book. Or Perfume by Patrick Süskind.

I can't read fiction, never could. I'm always thinking 'what's the point in reading this' when I try and read fiction. I keep thinking I'm being lied to or something. I tend to only read history, politics or current affairs. If you're looking for a good book on European history from 1500-1998 I'm your man though.

Unrelated to books, http://nobreastsnorequests.tumblr.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

Holidays soon, can't feckin wait - currently selecting some new albums to bring with me, a routine part of holidays at this stage. Same as for books - I have to admit to never reading 1984 or Animal Farm and wondered what the good folks of these parts recommend if I only go with one? I've selected this one too on a recommendation from a mate of mine - 'Life & Fate'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Fate-Vasily-Grossman/dp/0099506165/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310675272&sr=8-1

animal farm is great, but its really short, you could probably read the whole thing in few hours

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I wouldn't have put the two you've suggested in the holiday book category.

Animal Farm would be more allegorical in the sense that it's more a story and thereby probably the easier of the two to read, although it was a very very long time since I read it. 1984 is a bit more more full on so maybe a bit tough for a holiday read.

If you haven't read it I'd suggest To Kill A Mocking Bird, amazing book. Or Perfume by Patrick Süskind.

Yeah I was thinking that my holiday selections could be somewhat challenging for what is supposed to be a time to relax, another lined up was 'The History of Western Philosophy' but second thoughts on bringing that one. Never read either of the last two, will check them out too, cheers.
    ianuss wrote: »
    I can't read fiction, never could. I'm always thinking 'what's the point in reading this' when I try and read fiction. I keep thinking I'm being lied to or something. I tend to only read history, politics or current affairs. If you're looking for a good book on European history from 1500-1998 I'm your man though.

Unrelated to books, http://nobreastsnorequests.tumblr.com/

Yeah I've been the same in recent years about fiction and very much stuck with history, philosophy etc but was thinking I might dip into some of the famous classics such as those by Orwell, I figured I must have missed something! I did read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' a couple of years ago actually and enjoyed that alright.
    animal farm is great, but its really short, you could probably read the whole thing in few hours

Heard its short alright, might hold out for that till winter :cool:

Ha - :D
    'What a bastard. Yes, we had sex a couple of times. But I bought him new jeans, gave him food and even gave him 1,000 roubles when he left."

Yeah I was thinking that my holiday selections could be somewhat challenging for what is supposed to be a time to relax, another lined up was 'The History of Western Philosophy' but second thoughts on bringing that one. Never read either of the last two, will check them out too, cheers.

Yeah I've been the same in recent years about fiction and very much stuck with history, philosophy etc but was thinking I might dip into some of the famous classics such as those by Orwell, I figured I must have missed something! I did read 'Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep' a couple of years ago actually and enjoyed that alright.

Heard its short alright, might hold out for that till winter :cool:

1984 is good and off the top of the head you could also check out:
    Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut
    Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
    Betty Blue
    Life of Pi
    Time Traveller's Wife
    Brave New World
    Clockwork Orange
    The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
    The Crow Road by Iain Banks
    Day of the Triffids
    Microserfs by Douglas Coupland
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Also the Steig Larrson trilogy are handy enough to get into as well. Also Candide by Voltaire and Gulliver's Travels are a bit of a laugh if you want to read some classics.

Betty Blue
    Life of Pi
    Time Traveller's Wife
    Brave New World
    Clockwork Orange
    Day of the Triffids
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Also the Steig Larrson trilogy are handy enough to get into as well. Also Candide by Voltaire and Gulliver's Travels are a bit of a laugh if you want to read some classics.

2nd shout for that so maybe its a must...

I'm really liking the sound of this 'Life & Fate' but suspect a deep read too, its about 900 pages long too.
    At the centre of this epic novel, overshadowing the lives of its huge cast of Russian and German characters, looms the battle of Stalingrad. Within a world torn apart by ideological tyranny and war, Grossman's characters must work out their destinies.

Completed in 1960 but confiscated by the KGB, this sweeping panorama of Soviet Society rejected the compromises of a lifetime and earned its author denunciation and disgrace. It remained unpublished until it was smuggled into the West in 1980, where it was hailed as a masterpiece.

More on 'Life & Fate' - I've convinced myself anyway on this one...
    Fifty years ago this past October, Vasily Grossman submitted for publication the greatest Russian novel of the 20th century. The KGB immediately destroyed all copies of what Grossman called Life and Fate (Zhizn' i sud'ba in Russian) except for two hidden by his friends, and he died in 1964 without ever seeing his work published. For more than a quarter-century, the book was unavailable in Russia. Finally, in 1988, it was embraced by the cultural revolutionaries of glasnost as they slashed and burned their way through the official narrative of Soviet history, encrusted with 70 years of lies. In their search for a usable past, something not to be rejected in disgust, not to shudder over, but to cherish and be inspired by, they were awed by the brave and nearly lost attempts of their fathers and mothers to imagine a just and moral political order.
    http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2010/10/11/the_russian_masterpiece_youve_never_heard_of?page=full

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Betty Blue
    Life of Pi
    Time Traveller's Wife
    Brave New World
    Clockwork Orange
    Day of the Triffids
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Those two are on my to read for ages now, and I actually bought a copy of Life of Pi, just haven't gotten round to it yet.

Read The Wasp Factory years ago, thought it was quite good, if not a tad messed up.

Clockwork Orange is also very good, takes a bit to get into it due to the slang and lingo that Burgess uses, but it's a great read. It's also where the word Moloko comes from pop pickers.

2nd shout for that so maybe its a must..
    It's definitely a must, holiday or no holiday. Fantastic book.

Another one that's a great read and very interesting to boot is The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks (he's the guy that Robin Williams played in Awakenings.
    The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales is a 1985 book by neurologist Oliver Sacks describing the case histories of some of his patients. The title of the book comes from the case study of a man with visual agnosia.[1] The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat became the basis of an opera of the same name by Michael Nyman, which premiered in 1986.

The book comprises 24 essays split into 4 sections which each deal with a particular aspect of brain function such as deficits and excesses in the first two sections (with particular emphasis on the right hemisphere of the brain) while the third and fourth describe phenomenological manifestations with reference to spontaneous reminiscences, altered perceptions, and extraordinary qualities of mind found in retardates.
    Because of the way it's broken down into different stories it would make an ideal read for holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Just out of interest, have you ever read,

The communist manifesto ?

or if you just want to stick with fiction,

The catcher in the rye ?

(cue the jokes 'are they not both works of fiction')

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Those two are on my to read for ages now, and I actually bought a copy of Life of Pi, just haven't gotten round to it yet.

Read The Wasp Factory years ago, thought it was quite good, if not a tad messed up.

Clockwork Orange is also very good, takes a bit to get into it due to the slang and lingo that Burgess uses, but it's a great read. It's also where the word Moloko comes from pop pickers.

Burgess actually used a lot of Russians words for the slang iirc, implying the notion that there was a communist takeover in the future.

The Wasp Factory is very much a wtf book in terms of the way it ends but I enjoyed it and it was a great debut.

Life of Pi is a great book but if I was choosing between that and Catch 22 as the next book to read it would be Catch 22, hands down. An absolute masterpiece. Definitely one of my favourite books ever.

Another great one I'm just remembering is The Diceman by Luke Rhinehart. A psychologist decides to live his life by basing all his decisions on the roll of the dice. I really enjoyed it when I read it.

Also Bonfire of the Vanities by Tom Wolfe - a great, great book that begat a terrible, terrible movie. And if it's non fiction you prefer you should check out The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, his account of the Ken Kesey and the Merry Pranksters and the beginning of the Psychedelic Movement - really fascinating.

Some great books I read years ago about club culture (pre-millennium so a bit dated at this stage) are
    Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House by Matthew Collin
    Energy Flash by Simon Reynolds.

If I think of anymore I'll let you know. But To Kill a Mockingbird is definitely a good one to pick up for the holliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

Shantaram
    Life of Pi
    The Age of Kali
    Down and out in Paris and London
    Papillion
    Currently reading Life by Keith Richards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Would second the Dice Man as well - really enjoyed that one. Brave New World was stunning - when you think of when it was written - there's so much in it that was way ahead of it's time.

Ever read William Gibson? The 'Sprawl' trilogy is essential reading - Neuromance especially. A whole lot the terms we use for the internet are taken from that book - also way ahead of it's time.

In terms of classics - Papillon is great, as is The Count Of Monte Christo - if you like a bit of prison escaping!

Recent stuff - yea the Girl with the dragon tattoo would be good for holidays - you fly through them, but a decent read. The Book Thief I thought was very good.

Oh yea - Shantaram as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

Ian Banks is great-though his SciFi culture novels written as ian m banks are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Yes, papillion is one of the best alright,

Papillion
    http://www.4shared.com/document/cwumMSyj/CHARRIERE_HENRY_-_PAPILLON.html

And seeing as we venture into the drugs literature,

The doors of Perception
    http://www.mediafire.com/?inltjjj3zm4

Passage from the book once he has come up on the mescaline,

"From the French window I walked out under a kind of pergola covered in part by a climbing rose tree, in part by laths, one inch wide with half an inch of space between them. The sun was shining & the laths made a zebra like pattern on the ground & across the seat & back of the garden chair, which was standing at this end of the pergola. That chair- shall I ever forget it? Where the shadows fell on the canvas upholstery, stripes of a deep but glowing indigo alternated with stripes of an incandescence so intensely bright that it was hard to believe that they could be made of anything but blue fire. For what seemed an immensely long time I gazed without even knowing, even without wishing to know, what it was that confronted me. At any other time I would have seen a chair with alternate light & shade. Today the percept had swallowed up the concept. I was so completely absorbed in looking, so thunderstruck by what I actually saw, that I could not be aware of anything else. Garden furniture, laths, sunlight, shadow – these were no more than names and notions, mere verbalizations, for utilitarian or scientific purposes, after the event. The event was this succession of azure furnace doors separated by gulfs of unfathomable gentian. It was inexpressively wonderful, wonderful to the point, almost, of being terrifying. And suddenly I had an inkling of what it must feel like to be mad."

francois wrote: »

Is that from the same case as the 40 yr old Limerick woman who died after shagging a dog?

Is that from the same case as the 40 yr old Limerick woman who died after shagging a dog?

No another-what is in the Limerick water?

francois wrote: »
    No another-what is in the Limerick water?

Maybe they just have really sexy dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Childhoods End and An Béal Bocht. You could read them both in the space of a few hours but they're both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Currently reading Life by Keith Richards.

I just finished that yesterday. From the point at which the band form I found it a perfect sitting in the sun with a glass of red type of read. I'd read loads of Stones books back in the day and had met a few of the folks who crop up in the book so enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

Maybe they just have really sexy dogs.

I think you're barking

Advertisement