Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

When I was away on holidays recently we went grocery shopping the first day and it was killing me picking up a jar of instant coffee as I am so used the joys of Nespresso at home. I saw then one of these bad boys, never used one before so had to google how to work it, drank tonnes of coffee then over the course of the 2 weeks and been using it at home since, love it.... can't beat the 'gurgling' sound when the coffee is ready and the smell of fresh coffee! I want to get a grinder now too and buy fresh beans rather than ground coffee, make it a whole ritual.

Aluminum-Coffee-Maker-SQ-B006-100-300-600-900-1200-.jpg

It was only 10 euro too, pretty pretty good value (sorry, I also had two weeks of Curb Your Enthusiasm, my brother gave me a loan of a few boxsets!)

Bringing it back to coffee? ;)

It's a stove top Expresso maker?

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Bringing it back to coffee? ;)

It's a stove top Expresso maker?

Yeah but I put lots of water in and make a cup instead - I reckon its the equivalent of about 3 expressos in terms of the amount of ground coffee I put in :eek:

Still on the green tea etc too of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Stove top is yer only man!

Have a 1 cup espresso one, much less waste of coffee than a larger one if you're only making for yourself.

We have the Nespresso machine in work now, was up in Brown Thomas buying capsules yesterday. Not overly happy with buying Nestle products, but if it's Nespresso or Gold Blend.... I'm afraid I have to put my objections aside. Bit of a cop out I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

What sort of money are the Nespresso capsules?
    We've a Lavazza machine and the caps are €5-7 for a box of 16. 30c a cup ain't too bad but they can only be got from BTs. Amazon won't ship them to Ireland and I can't find them cheaper anywhere else.

It worked out about 36c a cup from yesterday

Lavazza machine eh - now I'd be far happier with that, love the stuff. Must look into it. Bewley's are making them now - saw them in work yesterday

My brother was saying in Switzerland that a supermarket chain over there started making generic capsules that fit in the Nespresso machine. Nestle have taken them to court so they've had to pull them off the shelves while the case is pending, but I'd imagine they've enough money to win that case pretty handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Rise of the Planet of the Apes....
    Go see it. HOLY FOOK!

Never thought a summer hollywood blockbuster would blow my mind but there you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Seen it on Friday night. Good watch all right. And the FX are amazing.

When I was away on holidays recently we went grocery shopping the first day and it was killing me picking up a jar of instant coffee as I am so used the joys of Nespresso at home. I saw then one of these bad boys, never used one before so had to google how to work it, drank tonnes of coffee then over the course of the 2 weeks and been using it at home since, love it.... can't beat the 'gurgling' sound when the coffee is ready and the smell of fresh coffee! I want to get a grinder now too and buy fresh beans rather than ground coffee, make it a whole ritual.

Aluminum-Coffee-Maker-SQ-B006-100-300-600-900-1200-.jpg

It was only 10 euro too, pretty pretty good value (sorry, I also had two weeks of Curb Your Enthusiasm, my brother gave me a loan of a few boxsets!)

Seen those for sale before, how exactly does it work?

• Advertisement

Seen those for sale before, how exactly does it work?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot

Ignore the music... or better, mute it and watch with some electronica

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Holy sh1tsticks, cycling along rope! Mad skillz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

There always seems to be a shot of a camp twirl of the bike after each big stunt.

joker77 wrote: »
    Ignore the music... or better, mute it and watch with some electronica

I watched it on Channel 4 last night. Thought the whole show was brilliant. The cinematography was fantastic on all the short films. It really is an amazing skill, same with the skateboarding and free running, although I thought the free running was kinda week compared to some of the other stuff I've seen.

Some of the out takes were painful looking.

Oh and fwiw, I actually quite liked the song that was used in the film you posted.

Derry petrol bomber falls on his arse

http://www.twitvid.com/H3SNK

Anyone following the David Starkey story from last week? I saw it at the time and I actually thought what he was saying was not at all unreasonable.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/2011/08/15/on-markets-for-hateful-language/

First I've heard of it. But yeah, I thought he made some very good points, particularly the following comment, "A Jamaican patois that has intruded in England… literally a foreign country… It’s not skin color, it’s cultural…"

Where he got picked up wrong, is where he called it "Black culture"
    Culture is more than one particular sub-group, and in his defence he did try to explain it later on by saying that it's not all black culture.

It's certainly a part of the problem but not the root cause. There are many other factors at play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I don't know. Gang culture can be traced back to the 19th century in London and I think most poorer sections of societies in the western world operate along the same lines so I don't think you can specifically blame Jamaican culture on the problems of London.

I don't know. Gang culture can be traced back to the 19th century in London and I think most poorer sections of societies in the western world operate along the same lines so I don't think you can specifically blame Jamaican culture on the problems of London.
    He's not blaming Jamaican culture, he's simply pointing to the Jamaicanpatois being a re-occuring theme with the yuuuf of Engerland.

Interesting read here about many of the underlying reasons of the ever decreasing divide between the haves and the have nots in England and the demonising of the working classes.

The guy who wrote the book on which the article refers to was on Newsnight with Starkey (and in the video that Ian posted)

• Advertisement

Mention of free running earlier reminded me to pop this one up, I know a few around here check out TheSilverDubber's channel on youtube, always quality stuff - one of his latest is a free running video with Quoth by Polygon Window as the backing track, works a treat.

Polygon Window - Quoth [Video Ft. Damien Walters & James Harris]

I'd love to do that free running but at 34 I might be pushing the body somewhat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'd love to do that free running but at 34 I might be pushing the body somewhat!

Not to soapbox, but i hate that "free running" stuff, it's like the tarted up version of the original parkour. Gone is the whole philosophy of why it started and what it can do for you and it's all replaced by fancy flips and bull****.

I reckon you should look into Parkour, less flippy bull**** and more "head down, straight forward, your man made city and concrete wilderness cannot make me deviate from my route" awesomeness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

listening to the danny howells essential mix from 2007, forgot how good it was.

does anyone know where i can buy a 1/8 to 1/4 jack in dublin? i ened the one with the headfone sized female and the sterio larger male at the bottom, is that the opposite of the one i posted? tried power sh1tty last night. used to have about 10 of them but it appears my other 'tidied' my cables and stuff when i moved out this year.
    97958197-260x260-0-0_Radio+Shack+1+8+Mono+Jack+to+1+4+Mono+Plug+Adapter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

maplin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

copeyhagen wrote: »
    but it appears my other 'tidied' my cables and stuff when i moved out this year.

That sounds altogether familiar!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

does anyone know where i can buy a 1/8 to 1/4 jack in dublin?

Maplin or Peats, peats have more stores so they may be more accessible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

You'll get one in X-Music if the others don't have them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

cheers lads, im workin on lower grand canal street, wonder what the handiest would be. have a motorbike so i suppose theyre all handy. never thought i would need to actually go out and buy one!!

got my traktor 2 set up last night, mapped my m-audio umix for the mixer side of things and used the denon sc 2000 with the traktor tsi and its decent enough.

one thing i noticed though is the music kinda jumps every few seconds, might have to emss with the latency tonight within traktor.

anyone else ever have that problem?

laptop used to run traktor through xp no problems, no im runnin traktor 2 through windows 7 32bit

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cheers lads, im workin on lower grand canal street, wonder what the handiest would be.

laptop used to run traktor through xp no problems, no im runnin traktor 2 through windows 7 32bit

Peats on Dame St just over from the central bank would be closest then.

What spec is the laptop? Sound skips can be caused by a few things but usually is easily sorted.

• Advertisement

I don't think he was specifically saying that Jamaican culture was responsible at all. And clearly the riots was one of those types of situations which is brought about by a number of factors, not just one. His point seemed to be about the rise of popular rap culture (which popularises money, power, dominance and aggression) and also the 'black culture' that followed. You can see it in the way language has changed for those who buy into it. In the US you have Black English, and I don't mean black as in skin colour, although it was where it started. But you can see it in the rise of 'wiggers', and the way the like of even Randy Jackson speaks ("yo dawg, you gotta bring it" etc etc), and the same can also be said in the UK. Tings is diffrent na blud, ya get me. That sort of language is so far removed from every day life but yet you hear so many younger people speak like that.

Starkey's point I think was born out of his time on Jamie Oliver's show about phuckup school kids. He found a culture whereby young people just don't care, are openly cheeky, disrespectful and aggressive (and I was absoultely no angel in school by any means btw). And also, the white kids speak like that too. Even ones from well off backgrounds. It's as if you have to speak like, and act like a gangsta knobhead to fit in. I think Starkey was trying to say that that sort of 'black culture' was damaging society as a whole.

Advertisement