Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

ianuss wrote: »
    I don't think he was specifically saying that Jamaican culture was responsible at all......................... I think Starkey was trying to say that that sort of 'black culture' was damaging society as a whole.

Fo real!! in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

and ting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Ye blud, Starkey is badman and tings, innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Peats on Dame St just over from the central bank would be closest then.

What spec is the laptop? Sound skips can be caused by a few things but usually is easily sorted.

toshiba satellite l450d
    windows 7 32bit
    2 gig ram
    etc

it ran traktor pro and my xone 3d no problems, and all my other controllers under xp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Starkey's point I think was born out of his time on Jamie Oliver's show about phuckup school kids. He found a culture whereby young people just don't care, are openly cheeky, disrespectful and aggressive (and I was absoultely no angel in school by any means btw). And also, the white kids speak like that too. Even ones from well off backgrounds. It's as if you have to speak like, and act like a gangsta knobhead to fit in. I think Starkey was trying to say that that sort of 'black culture' was damaging society as a whole.

But isn't the slang just a way for people to exclude others - like if you don't know what a blud is your clueless and tings innit. It doesn't matter if the origin of the slang is Jamaican patios or not.

Also rap culture is a reflection of gang mentality imo not the origination of it. I think it's unfair to blame it squarely on black culture. Didn't white cockney gang culture not also popularise money, power, dominance and aggression? Also cockney slang is incomprehensible unless your familiar with it - same as the Jamaican patios. I think it's a socio-economic issue not a race issue.

• Advertisement

But isn't the slang just a way for people to exclude others - like if you don't know what a blud is your clueless and tings innit. It doesn't matter if the origin of the slang is Jamaican patios or not.

Also rap culture is a reflection of gang mentality imo not the origination of it. I think it's unfair to blame it squarely on black culture. Didn't white cockney gang culture not also popularise money, power, dominance and aggression? Also cockney slang is incomprehensible unless your familiar with it - same as the Jamaican patios. I think it's a socio-economic issue not a race issue.

I assume you mean, Patois, and not the front of some jamaicans gaff?

No, you've got it all wrong. It's Jamaican patois, not a Jamaican garden culture. But anyway, it's not a race issue, and he's not trying to say it is either (I think). The current rap culture, he maybe mistakenly called 'black culture'.

And you're probably right about the gang culture giving rise to to rap culture. And as for cockney gang culture, I don't think it was anything remotely as widespread as current 'black/rap culture'. If me or my mates ever tried to speak like that you would have had it ripped out of you.

Edit; Ha, you beat me to it Is Mise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

The current rap culture, he maybe mistakenly called 'black culture'.
    I think that's the reason why he came in for so much stick.

No, you've got it all wrong. It's Jamaican patois, not a Jamaican garden culture. But anyway, it's not a race issue, and he's not trying to say it is either (I think). The current rap culture, he maybe mistakenly called 'black culture'.

And you're probably right about the gang culture giving rise to to rap culture. And as for cockney gang culture, I don't think it was anything remotely as widespread as current 'black/rap culture'. If me or my mates ever tried to speak like that you would have had it ripped out of you.

Edit; Ha, you beat me to it Is Mise

Just on the rise of Rap, was it not hip Hop that really evolved into rap & then it was hijacked by gangsta rap?

I thought it was dudes like grandmaster flash that started it all off bigtime in the time around the breakdancing etc.

• Advertisement

I assume you mean, Patois, and not the front of some jamaicans gaff?

No I meant patios and the fact they were so neglected during the riots. Nobody thought of looting any garden furniture…

I have no idea. I'm way too white to even have an opinion on rap or hip hop.

Just on the rise of Rap, was it not hip Hop that really evolved into rap & then it was hijacked by gangsta rap?

I thought it was dudes like grandmaster flash that started it all off bigtime in the time around the breakdancing etc.

Yeah, you're right there Is mise. Once rap spread from the Bronx and New York it pretty quickly got submerged in gang culture, particularly in places like LA with the likes of NWA.

Yeah, you're right there Is mise. Once rap spread from the Bronx and New York it pretty quickly got submerged in gang culture, particularly in places like LA with the likes of NWA.

Yep, also i think there was a transition with Public enemy who were fairly political in there lyrics from Hip Hop to Gangsta rap.

Yep, also i think there was a transition with Public enemy who were fairly political in there lyrics from Hip Hop to Gangsta rap.

Ah Public Enemy, the Mel Gibson of rap. Just don't mention the jews.

Also if you're going to mention Public Enemy you have to give a mention to KRS-One and before them Gil Scot Heron. Also Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were fairly political with the likes of the Message and White Lines. Political hip hop is still being made but it's definitely more underground.

Mind you my knowledge of most hip hop would be sketchy

The Roots were pretty political too.

I love the video to What They Do, totally rips the p1ss out of Rap videos.
    Oddly enough the video is not available on Youtube any more, or at least the video with the subtitles that take the p1ss isn't.

Managed to find it on Daily Motion. Great video, have a watch if you can.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pt1f_the-roots-what-they-do_music

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Ha, good video

Have some albums from The Roots, really like The Tipping Point - the track Star is great.

In terms of hip hop - have seen Jurassic 5 a couple of times and they were pretty good live

The Seed (2.0) is one of their best songs

MMM

Homer-Gotbeer.jpg

• Advertisement

Going mad I can't go to this. Missed last years and I'll have to give this one a miss too. :(

I'll be definitely going to the one in the RDS next month though.

Didn't your OH play at this last year Joker?

Yea, got her guitar robbed for her trouble as well, wasn't happy.

The staff at Crawdaddy said she could leave it in a room that would be locked, came back next day - gone. Nobody accepted any responsibility. Lesson learnt I suppose.

What kind of scumbag steals a guitar?

It was a Washburn (I know nothing about guitars) - not particularly expensive, but rare enough in Dublin apparently

Aw no way. What a total p1sser. Little scumbags. Although, you'd be surprised at who probably actually took it.

I'd be going mental at the person that told me it was ok to leave it there.

Yea same. If it was me I would have handled it differently, big row etc, but she's mates with Ruth who runs the beer fest... so...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

francois wrote: »

id probably end up drinking Guinness all day :o

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

the mourinho influence
    Speaking of which.......

BaZmO* wrote: »

What a dirtbag.

• Advertisement

Did he take a load of pills before the match. What's with the great big gurning head on him?

Advertisement