Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

I wish i was middle class.

Oddly enough I don't think Rugby is particularly middle class at all...except in Dublin.

im in sw france, the rugby culture here is totally different to the uk or ireland. its very very working class, farmer types. basically the french equivalent of red necks.

the matches between the towns get nasty, its a real eye opener actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

raymann wrote: »
    im in sw france, the rugby culture here is totally different to the uk or ireland. its very very working class, farmer types. basically the french equivalent of red necks.

the matches between the towns get nasty, its a real eye opener actually.

When i first moved to Dublin i was asking about assorted Rugby clubs I was thinking about going out for and people kept asking was i "a posh ****", i was really surprised then as at home in the midlands and down in Limerick where i played it definitely wasn't seen as a posh guys sport. Tough lads from the terraces mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's any man's game down here in Cork, but yeah, the same can't be said for Dublin.

Don't think JT is from Dublin though. Think he's a culchie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't think JT is from Dublin though. Think he's a culchie
    tis true. Although the club I played for played in the metropolitan league. We were certainly not a middle class club, and were quite notable for that fact - Trevor Brennan came from our club.

But in Dublin, and I hate to say it, it's actually the working class' fault that it's seen as a poshboy game.
    It's not that there are rules about being rich etc., and it's not the cost of playing (you need boots and a gumshield ffs). It's that certain members of the working class are quite vocal in their dislike of the game, while simultaneously exhibiting the massive chip on the shoulder they have.

In fact I think when we won the grand slam there were textbook displays of it on this very forum.

Half my family are from Munster and if you refused to get into rugby because it was 'a game for posh feckers' you'd get a right tongue-lashing.

oh and in case any one accuses me of the same discrimination in terms of soccer or GAA, I played underage soccer for my local team til I was 12 (we were sh1te), and played gaelic for my local club til the same age (we even played a county final).

How many of the working class rugby haters have even set foot on a pitch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

When i first moved to Dublin i was asking about assorted Rugby clubs I was thinking about going out for and people kept asking was i "a posh ****", i was really surprised then as at home in the midlands and down in Limerick where i played it definitely wasn't seen as a posh guys sport. Tough lads from the terraces mostly.

i think its pretty obvious when you look at the difference between some of the munster and leinster players in the national team!

love the game now though.....

to be fair, the whole explanation for that simply comes down to the education system. Private schools in dublin tend to have Rugby as a religion. And very few public schools have the people passionate enough about the game to devote such time to it without remuneration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

ianuss wrote: »
    In this set of three videotapes, writer Graham Hancock traverses the world and explains his controversial theory that an ancient civilization, highly intelligent people who sailed the planet as early as 10,500 B.C., spread advanced astronomical knowledge and built ancient observatories. Skeptics may scoff, but Hancock earnestly points out similarities in giant stone structures in the Egyptian desert and Cambodian jungles, and on Easter Island and in Micronesia, he points out what he considers evidence of an ancient society of seafarers. His ideas may seem utterly bizarre at first, but Hancock presents them in an understated and good-natured manner, and he also makes clever use of computer graphics and aerial photography to illustrate the startling similarities in ancient structures found from the North Atlantic to the South Pacific. At times the three documentaries overlap, and at times they seem like one long program rather than three separate presentations. But throughout, Hancock raises some puzzling questions, and even if you don't buy his arguments, bolstered though they are by mathematical equations and astronomical diagrams, the Quest for the Lost Civilization is an entertaining mixture of archaeology, astronomy, and speculation.

I read his book Fingerprints of the gods must be about 10 year ago now, really pulls together an argument you would have trouble picking holes in to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

jtsuited wrote: »
    to be fair, the whole explanation for that simply comes down to the education system. Private schools in dublin tend to have Rugby as a religion. And very few public schools have the people passionate enough about the game to devote such time to it without remuneration.
    Only in Dublin? Would it not be the case all around the country?

you can get funny upper class/lower class attitudes in sport, load of boll1x imo often found similar here in golf clubs whereas in america i found it to be a lot more laid back and classless..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

you can get funny upper class/lower class attitudes in sport, load of boll1x imo often found similar here in golf clubs whereas in america i found it to be a lot more laid back and classless..

Wasn't Happy Gilmore not a play on that whole 'only rich people play golf' mentality? So I'm presuming that attitude exists in America as well, maybe just not as apparent as here - although tbf, golf could hardly be called the sport of the upper class here anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Wasn't Happy Gilmore not a play on that whole 'only rich people play golf' mentality? So I'm presuming that attitude exists in America as well, maybe just not as apparent as here - although tbf, golf could hardly be called the sport of the upper class here anymore.
    That's the thing though, in the US there's only really 2 classes, rich and poor.

years since i seen it but from what i recall i interpreted it as taking the piss out of golfers that take themselves way too serious, which i agree with. Maybe it does but I got to play there a couple of times on would be classed as some top courses and never experienced it, cant say the same for here, it never should have been because its far from it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I read his book Fingerprints of the gods must be about 10 year ago now, really pulls together an argument you would have trouble picking holes in to say the least.

I was on his website recently and saw that he's branched out to fiction these days - which is worrying. But like you say, some of his arguments and the evidence he provides are really compelling.

I was on his website recently and saw that he's branched out to fiction these days - which is worrying. But like you say, some of his arguments and the evidence he provides are really compelling.

I don't know...Carl Sagan wrote some fiction. It not really a sign of a loosening of standards so much as a way for someone to create an interesting way to further discussion or explore human reaction.

I seem to have missed something - why are there adults (plural btw) posting stuff about dying.com on the interwebs? Or is it just that I know a few saps?

I seem to have missed something - why are there adults (plural btw) posting stuff about dying.com on the interwebs? Or is it just that I know a few saps?

You just know a load of spas. I go with neverdrinkingagain.org and ivegottheirishflu.org because I'm way street y'all!

ah yes the old 'there is no class system in the US' line. Absolute and utter horsesh1t. Remember when Tiger Woods came along? Seriously, there was uproar because of the 'types' it was attracting to the sport. Remember the Fried Chicken remark from the PGA guy?

Happy Gilmore was a direct play on the class issue, and to say otherwise shows a serious blindness to class issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

The whole class thing is a load of balls is you ask me. Only exists in people's heads.

Ah come on, it hardly exists solely in peoples heads. Next time you're in town, walk up Henry Street and then head on up to Grafton St and see if you still think the same. It's night and day.

• Advertisement

The concept of class is an effective hangover from the days of nobility and royalty. It's also a remnant of caste systems and other such goodness, where the circumstance of your birth would largely dictate your role and opportunities in life.

The simple truth of it is that the divide is now based on money...so over the course of a few generations it's possible to acquire enough for your family to go from working poor to very rich and completely forget where they started.

I know more than a few folk who has quite rich parents and like to consider themselves upper glass...but their granddad was just a guy who had a shop in a small village down the country.

Class is an illusion...it's easier to lump people into one spot based of some weird pseudo-social reaction than consider the person might not be what you think they are.

It's not just to do with money, historically yes, but it has morphed into very distinguishable groups. Have a look at maps and voting patterns. Check how many red tops are sold versus broadsheets in newsagents in different areas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

Clanket wrote: »
    The whole class thing is a load of balls is you ask me. Only exists in people's heads.

I wish that were true, sadly it isn't

It's not just to do with money, historically yes, but it has morphed into very distinguishable groups. Have a look at maps and voting patterns. Check how many red tops are sold versus broadsheets in newsagents in different areas

My point is that now people can buy or fake their way out of their perceived class status.

Back in the day a Noble was a Noble and a Commoner was a Commoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Kontakt

He'll be on the Joe Rogan podcast on Sunday. Should be interesting enough.

My point is that now people can buy or fake their way out of their perceived class status.

And that situation is returning. Americans are realizing that social mobility is now nearly non-existent in the US and I'd imagine that Ireland isn't far behind. We have the illusion that people can go as far as they want but the reality is completely different.

I don't think that's the case at all. Dolores McNamara is not middle or upper class. And I'd agree with Android too, social mobility is a myth by and large.

Kontakt wrote: »
    He'll be on the Joe Rogan podcast on Sunday. Should be interesting enough.

Really? Where'd you see that?

I don't think that's the case at all. Dolores McNamara is not middle or upper class. And I'd agree with Android too, social mobility is a myth by and large.

But her great grand kids will be. They'll have gone to better schools and all that ****. It happens over time.

Do you really think all those people out in Foxrock etc were born to money, as there parents were, and there grandparents...and they always just had money?

Go back far enough and they were dirt poor, the same as everyone else in Ireland.

• Advertisement

But her great grand kids will be. They'll have gone to better schools and all that ****. It happens over time.

Do you really think all those people out in Foxrock etc were born to money, as there parents were, and there grandparents...and they always just had money?

Go back far enough and they were dirt poor, the same as everyone else in Ireland.

Go back far enough with anyone and you're right we probably all came from a dirt poor background but what happened in the past is not an indicator of what is happening in the present.

Advertisement