Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Scroll down the main page and you'll see how he found that second link:D

Got another question lads. If you were getting a brown envelope of doom(no, not anthrax) this Wednesday, where in town would you go to drink away your sorrows? So far its been: 21s, Tripod, Dandelion, Button factory....but nobody's really sure. As we'll be starting the day around 12 in a mates house I'm counting on bouncer woes too:rolleyes: Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Scroll down the main page and you'll see how he found that second link:D

Got another question lads. If you were getting a brown envelope of doom(no, not anthrax) this Wednesday, where in town would you go to drink away your sorrows? So far its been: 21s, Tripod, Dandelion, Button factory....but nobody's really sure. As we'll be starting the day around 12 in a mates house I'm counting on bouncer woes too:rolleyes: Any suggestions?
    Diceys does €2 drinks on a wednesday but maybe that offer isnt on during the college break - plus its awful young crowd that goes there. The Bull & Castle [upstairs] usually has some offers on during the week and their range of beers is one of the best in the city.

The porterhouse on parliament always has a few in it during the day. I went on the piss once or twice there early in the day. Their own beers are €4 a pint and they're quite nice if your into ales and stouts. Just dont mess with the Briain Blasta one, its 7%.

As im not a dub I cant advise you any further but im sure some of the lads can point you in the direction of some 'right auld spots' like the Parnell Mooney!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

Was sitting in starbucks today and overheard a conversation that made me want to cry...

A man and a woman were talking about music, specifically the poppy stuff like lady gaga,david guetta etc. I'd have sworn that the man was actually the guy from the blizzards, and was preaching sagely about the music biz to the woman. It went something like this:

Man : "So tell me a bit about your musical influences"

Woman : "Eh... yeah, I love David Guetta, Fatboy slim, I love kylie's new stuff"

Man : "Ah, I agree, well the sort of stuff I'd want to make is like david guetta but more musical (he waves his hands around a bit here), know what i mean?"

Woman : "yeah, definitely,a bit like daft punk then, yeah?"

Man : Exactly, although,you know, Daft Punk's stuff is really well written, and they have a team of engineers working on their sound like, and my contract with the label is nearly up and the guys wouldn't take well to us using their equipment.You know how it is" ( More hand wavey stuff, this really was all one sentence)

Woman : " Oh god yeah"

Man : So what kind of musical training do you have?

Woman : Emm...

She was giving yer man the hard sell, and to be fair, although both were talking out their holes I think the guy coped well enough.

If the blizzards' front man comes out with a solo album anytime soon... don't say you weren't warned ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

A guy walked into a bar and saw a sign that said, "Cheese sandwich, £4; chicken sandwich, £5; handjob, £20."

He said to the barmaid, "Are you the one who gives the handjobs?"

She said, "Yeah."

He said, "Then go wash your hands. I want a cheese sandwich."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

May have just bought an Eric Clapton Signature Strat on ads. Not sure if anyone on here plays guitar, but I'm very excited.

Just got that guitar there. I'm so happy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

cool preview player on chemical records

http://www.chemicalrecords.co.uk/

find a track and select the deck option
    nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »
    cool preview player on chemical records

http://www.chemicalrecords.co.uk/

find a track and select the deck option
    nice touch
    Yeah been using it for a while, brilliant feature. You can just drag and drop to the breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

was watching that big river man documentary on 4

it was good but did anyone else think it felt a little staged towards the end.
    the whole scene where he was near death but the son wanted him to read the statement just didnt seem genuine.

still some achievement though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

whats everyone lsitening to right now?

too lazy to start a thread.

in work, sittin at my pc listenin to "gui boratto - renaissance, the mix collection"

decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Culoe De Song's, A Giant Leap album - absloulely amazing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

woke up this morning and had a hankering for Minimal Nation so that's banging away

Listening to Aeroplane's new June Chart mix. Anyone's who's into chilled out nu-disco stuff check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I'm guessing his is going to be a short career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

listening to underworld - pears girl now.... 9.30 minute version...love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Heres something you may or may not have stumbled across on the net being proposed, you can build your own LCD projector for very little money. Now i wouldnt post this simply on having found a website with success stories on it until i had actually achieved succes my self.
    The first link link below shows very clearly how it works & but the guy on it has spent a good few quid on it.

I built mine from old wood sheets i had left over, spare screws, 575w halogen i had spare, computer fans from old redundant PC's i picked up, €20 Dell LCD monitor off Gumtree & key to it all was parts from two old Over head projectors i picked up for free with a little searching. In total i spent i think about €38 after i had bought the monitor, black paint, Few more screws, insulating tape & bits & pieces & the result is that i can now watch movies on an 8 foot wide screen in my living room with great quality & good brightness, if i upgrade the lamp it will be better but i tried to build it for as little as possible with what i had already accumulated or salvaged for free & €38 aint bad.

Well built completed project

Other completed project from Lumenlab

Beginners Forum for guidance

Below is the basic concept of how all projectors work,

1.jpg

I'd imagine that the missus ain't too happy with a big malowgen box made out of mdf in the sitting room though?

Any pics of your fantabulor spectaculoso diy home cinema projector? :)

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'd imagine that the missus ain't too happy with a big malowgen box made out of mdf in the sitting room though?

Any pics of your fantabulor spectaculoso diy home cinema projector? :)

I havnt taken any pics yet out of sheer laziness but i will if you want as a mate of mine will be over this weekend for a few drinks & we will be having a gander at Avatar so will take a few then.........spot on about the missus chief........she was very sceptical & annoyed at the two or so months of tinkering until i got it just right but was actually blown away by it when i got it tuned just right to my own surprise. It has be stored out of sight when not in use or i would incur the wrath alright but again €38 for a home cinema is worth the odd bit of verbal but all in all she loves watching it as much as i do when the little ones are in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

38 Euro! That sure is recession busting value!

I'd love to build something like this, unfortunately where we're renting isn't really suitable.

One question I have though - normally these kind of projectors would beam in the centre of the wall, with a lot of the screen being above the middle of the wall. Tellies are normally lower than this. It's not comfortable sitting on a regular couch, with your head tilted slightly upward, nor is it good for your neck. How do you get around this?

I'd love to have a 'projection room', comfy couches or maybe even bean bags, projector and quality surround sound, and throw the telly in the bin. I've mentioned this a few times to her indoors - the throwing the telly in the bin part, don't think she'd go for it though.

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    38 Euro! That sure is recession busting value!

I'd love to build something like this, unfortunately where we're renting isn't really suitable.

One question I have though - normally these kind of projectors would beam in the centre of the wall, with a lot of the screen being above the middle of the wall. Tellies are normally lower than this. It's not comfortable sitting on a regular couch, with your head tilted slightly upward, nor is it good for your neck. How do you get around this?

I'd love to have a 'projection room', comfy couches or maybe even bean bags, projector and quality surround sound, and throw the telly in the bin. I've mentioned this a few times to her indoors - the throwing the telly in the bin part, don't think she'd go for it though.

Well as you have pointed out i do have mine set up on a stand so that the projection if centred on the wall (or in my case onto the blank large card sheets hanging from hooks where the curtains close from the curatin rail) but i havnt really noticed any isssues like that as my living room is 26 foot long so you dont really ntice any arching of the neck.

The box when you construct it can be a horizontal 'Straight shooter' like in the link above or you can construct it for a vertical set up which is what i did & thenm you use a first surface mirror (very important) to reflect the image onto the intended surface. my box is 26" tall so if you stood it on another two foot box that gives you a lens height of just over 4 foot half of your intended screen size, then place it the desired distance from the intended projection area to achieve an 8 foot screen & the projected image would then begin at the floor & stand 8 foot from floor to almost ceiling eliminating this issue but i havnt done that yet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This was posted in the adverts thread:
    copeyhagen wrote: »

Ad says:
    hi, im trying to raise money to take my 2 parents to lourdes.both are not well so im selling everything i own..i also have ads for cds,dvds,games consoles & sound and audio equipment.please check them out.

Ok, it's very sad that this guys parents are sick, and it's a very noble thing him selling his stuff to help them out, but seriosuly, selling everything you own trying to raise money to bring them to Lourdes???

I can't find the clip but there is an interview with (I think) Richard Dawkins and the guy who runs Lourdes - talking about the "Miracles" that have happened there. There are around 67 'Confirmed' Miracles of people miraculously getting better after visiting. Considering the millions of people who visit there every year the chances of it helping you are about 0.0000335% - or 1 in 3 million - you've probably got a better chance of miraculously getting better without going.

You'd be better using the money to at least give them a better quality of life for the time they have left.

http://www.skepdic.com/lourdes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Zascar wrote: »
    This was posted in the adverts thread:

Ad says:

Ok, it's very sad that this guys parents are sick, and it's a very noble thing him selling his stuff to help them out, but seriosuly, selling everything you own trying to raise money to bring them to Lourdes???

I can't find the clip but there is an interview with (I think) Richard Dawkins and the guy who runs Lourdes - talking about the "Miracles" that have happened there. There are around 67 'Confirmed' Miracles of people miraculously getting better after visiting. Considering the millions of people who visit there every year the chances of it helping you are about 0.0000335% - or 1 in 3 million - you've probably got a better chance of miraculously getting better without going.

You'd be better using the money to at least give them a better quality of life for the time they have left.

http://www.skepdic.com/lourdes.html

Seen that ad before, I think he more so wants to enjoy a trip with them while he can, seems to understand that they aren't very well and he hasn't really mentioned hope of any miracle. His intentions are very noble.

He goes on to explain:

IT IS VERY HARD FOR ME TO SELL THE RECORDS & THEY ARE MY PRIDE & JOY,BUT REALISTICLY THE FOLKES WONT BE AROUND MUCH LONGER SO I WANT A GOOD FAMILKY TRIP TO REMEMBER BEFORE THAT TIME COMES.MEMORIES LIKE THAT ARE PRICELESS & WHO KNOWS THEY TRIP TO LOURDES MIGHT DO THEM GOOD IN TERMS OF RAISING THEIR SPIRITS ETC..I HAVE SOME MONEY PUT ASIDE BUT JUST NOT ENOUGH..1000 EURO WOULD COVER IT FOR THE 3 OF US,FLIGHTS ACCOMADATION ECT..THANKS FOR ASKING MAKE..MEANS ALOT.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fair enough, but if it were me I'd be going to the Bahamas!

I think we just don't understand our parents generation at times.

I see it as half superstition / half spiritual nonsense, but my parents went to Lourdes last year - it's kind of like a rite of passage for a lot of the older generation Catholics. They really enjoyed it. What I do firmly believe in though is the power of the human mind, in terms of healing oneself - so if you are ill and go there with the belief in the power of it, even if it's your own mind doing the healing, the end result is good, no?

Scary stuff though from looking at their photos though - any kind of mass gathering related to religion where ritualistic ceremonies are held send alarm bells off in my brain.

As I say though, I think I just don't get it. Don't ever want to either, secular humanism all the way for me :)

Yeah from reading it he doesn't seem too bothered about the whole religious aspect of the trip it's just that he wants a family trip before he loses his parents, and if they are miraculously :rolleyes: cured well then it would be a plus of course.
    I’d imagine his parents are quite old and from a generation with religious beliefs that are hard to understand nowadays.

Fairplay to him though, but I’d be with Colly on this one with regards to location.

Personally I absolutely detest that whole religious theme park nonsense. Souvenir shops with rows and rows of plastic Jesus and Mary’s with €9.99 stickers stuck on their heads. :rolleyes; Praise the Lord!!

Was watching a programme on RTE a few weeks ago about that nutjob Joe Coleman (who apparently lived around the corner from me when I was growing up) who was convincing a load of “believers” to stare at the sun so they could witness the apparitions that he was experiencing, and they were actually seeing things, lights and colored dots swirling around the sky. The really sad thing about that was that according to an Optometrist that was on the Matt Cooper show those experiences what any person would experience as a result of the retina burning from direct sunlight exposure.

I find it funny that places like Lourdes exist just because of their history. If a guy down the roads tell you that he’s having visions, he’s called a nutjob. But a guy down the road in history that had visions and whole town/village/city becomes a shrine to his madness.

What I do firmly believe in though is the power of the human mind, in terms of healing oneself - so if you are ill and go there with the belief in the power of it, even if it's your own mind doing the healing, the end result is good, no?
    secular humanism all the way for me :)

+1 I'm a believer of the power of positive thinking and the kind of stuff most people know from the book 'The Secret' (although the book is a bit gay). Personally I think that a lot of religion is really the same kind of thing, it's just packaged badly. Having 'Faith' - is not much different really - although I think its better to have faith in yourself, than a make believe man in the clouds.

What I do firmly believe in though is the power of the human mind, in terms of healing oneself - so if you are ill and go there with the belief in the power of it, even if it's your own mind doing the healing, the end result is good, no?
    That's why every single medical drug trial has to feature placebos in the samples.

Personally I never take anything for headaches or anything really for matter, unless it was really really bad.

There was some study or documentary that I read and it was shocking the statistics on the effects that modern medicine has on people.

And also, as Colly said above, just look at the statistics. Of course some are going to be cured, but not as a direct result of a miracle from a trip to Lourdes.

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm actually a bit skeptic of that link you posted. It's not even spelt properly. :pac:

• Advertisement

I agree that it wouldn't be my choice of location, not at all.

But then again, I just can't get inside the head of someone from that generation and the relationship they have between God - religion - the church - mass etc.

I mean - they are completely able to separate God and The Church when it comes to things like child sex abuse scandals, but are completely unable to separate the two when it comes to worship/prayer. Mass on a Sunday (or Saturday evening in modern times), is untouchable.

They used to give me the spiel that it was only half an hour a week to God, but when I turned this around and said that they could easily spend that half an hour at home reading the Bible and praying, they couldn't put into words why it wasn't the same (my words).

With all the scandals recently - what I wanted them to do was to stop going to Mass for a few weeks. And to get everyone else to stop going to. Not permanently (that would completely blow their minds), just temporarily- a few weeks - long enough for the Church to suffer a noticeable dip in their turnover and to sit up and take notice properly at the hurt and suffering they've caused in this country. Boycott mass as it were.

Like talking to the fecking wall though. My folks aren't 'holy joes' by any stretch, and are rational people about most things, that's why I can't fully understand what it means to them to believe.

Advertisement