Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

you can now filter out inspirational quotes in FB. Just go to Account Settings and uncheck the Gandhi option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I'm writing my santa letter now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

joker77 wrote: »
    Also, new mix up: http://soundcloud.com/nealhudson/neal-hudson-october-2011

My facebook sabbatical continues.

You are like so missing out…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

my eyes!!

Something very odd I heard recently - over in Germany in the mainstream media (and MTV and the likes), all hip-hop / rap / urban / soul music is called 'black music'. It's perfectly acceptable when a presenter is describing a track to call it black music.

But eh???

It popped into my head again today when browsing decks.de. They have a genre 'Black' - http://www.decks.de/decks-sess/workfloor/lists/list.php?wo=ten&now_Sub=bk&now_Was=news&now_Date=nodate&aktuell=0

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Don't really see the problem.

Example

• Advertisement

I wonder do they have a Juden genre…

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Don't really see the problem.

Example
    Did you read that article Bazmo?
    Victimhood and terminology

Niall Crowley highlights the inherent inaccuracies in the term "black music", for example noting the significant Jewish influences on rhythm and blues and rock n roll. He states "Without these and many other non-African Americans who played a defining role in the evolution of rhythm and blues, we wouldn’t have much of the great ‘black’ music we’ve had over the past 50 years or so."

Crowly also juxtaposes the attitudes of the MOBOs with the huge success of black performers in recent decades, writing that the awards reinforce "the idea that today’s black performers are simply the latest generation of sufferers in a long history of victimhood." He argues that in reality "no one could possibly claim that recent generations of black performers have suffered at the hands of a racist music industry" and the MOBOs "encourage music fans to see discrimination and racism where there is none,[4]

In relation to tv series, The Walking Dead is back on FX on Friday at 10 o'clock. Also if you haven't checked out Wilfred yet, do it straight away. Totally brilliant show.

Great shout - it's deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

The BBC4 series on ceramics is quite interesting as well

Did you read that article Bazmo?
    I had a quick scan through it, but t'internet time is limited during the days as of late.

Point was, if a whole section of black artists don't see anything wrong with it and actually name an awards ceremony after it they can hardly get up in arms about it when someone else does something similar.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I had a quick scan through it, but t'internet time is limited during the days as of late.

Point was, if a whole section of black artists don't see anything wrong with it and actually name an awards ceremony after it they can hardly get up in arms about it when someone else does something similar.
    Wasn't really my point, black people getting up in arms

My point was I found it odd. That whole genres of music are just lumped together as 'black music'.

Yea I take your point that the MOBOs are the same thing, well kind of - that's more about trying to assert ownership. Plenty of non-black people perform / are awarded at the MOBOs aren't they? Seem to remember something about Amy Winehouse singing at it. Wonder would they describe her as 'black music' in Germany... probably.

Just me so?

Describing whole genres of music by the colour of the skin of the people who conceived it?

Describing whole genres of music by the colour of the skin of the people who conceived it?

I suppose it's the same for me when I call trad 'ginge music'. But tbf, you'd think the Germans would be shirking away from calling black music considering their potted history with other races...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Speaking of Germans, someone just put a link to some holocaust pictures on the photos that shook the world thread. Shocking stuff altogether.

Be warned, they're very graphic.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2...ocaust/100170/

Sickening photos. It's hard to believe what one human could do to another, and on such a scale too. Absolutely horrific stuff.

I remember reading a book on the holocaust during a boozy summer holiday when I was about 18/19...... such a bad decision. Not exactly pre-booze literature. Anyway, the thing that I really remember from the book was how many people from concentration camps the American soldiers killed inadvertently.

The soldiers, upon finding the first camps were naturally shocked at the state of the emaciated skeletons of people. They gave away their rations, thinking they were doing the captives a favour. But because their bodies had wasted away to such an extent their digestive systems couldn't cope with the rich chocolate and hundreds more died as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

From YLYL,

intervention.png

Poor bastárd. A mate showed me the picture below a few years back.

elephantitis.jpg
    Surely the weight would rip it off your body.

Clanket wrote: »

elephantitis.jpg

Brings a whole new meaning to teabagging

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Advertisement

Some excellent ideas Colly. I was looking for an easy way to mount my speakers on the unit I built and those legs are a great idea.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah they are pretty cool and way cheaper than the customer booths online etc.
    Another nice idea here: http://www.behance.net/gallery/DIY-IKEA-DJ-Booth/741519

http://www.facebook.com/panoramabarmusic - see last status update - oooh controversial!

Remember the bloke from Police Academy that did all the sound effects?

Oh....and Sacha Baron Cohen's new character.....

amazing seriesof pics of the communists taking on the black bloc in athens

http://www.naftemporiki.gr/photos/slideshow.asp?id=43214

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭bedrock#1

Clanket wrote: »

elephantitis.jpg

south-park-20100329083143148_640w_1270130404.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

francois wrote: »
    amazing seriesof pics of the communists taking on the black bloc in athens

http://www.naftemporiki.gr/photos/slideshow.asp?id=43214

Carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

b8f43d17ba7c3442c697057654ad2bb8.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

HaHaha this is fookin hilarious, those mad Japanese