Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »

There was some study or documentary that I read and it was shocking the statistics on the effects that modern medicine has on people.
    Yup it's shocking alright.
    Today we have no risk of dying from polio, smallpox, tuberculosis, malnutrition, bubonic plague, or any of those countless other things that 50 years ago meant a death sentence and wiped out billions of people.

Our average life expectancy will hit 80 soon enough, and in our lifetime it is likely recovery rates from all cancer will hit well over 90%.

It's even got to the point that the pharmeceutical industry is having to make up diseases because they've come up with solutions to almost all illnesses (in the grand scheme of things compared to 100 years ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jtsuited wrote: »
    Today we have no risk of dying from polio, smallpox, tuberculosis, malnutrition, bubonic plague, or any of those countless other things that 50 years ago meant a death sentence and wiped out billions of people.

Our average life expectancy will hit 80 soon enough, and in our lifetime it is likely recovery rates from all cancer will hit well over 90%.

It's even got to the point that the pharmeceutical industry is having to make up diseases because they've come up with solutions to almost all illnesses (in the grand scheme of things compared to 100 years ago).

But 50 years ago people weren't using crystals like we are now so you can't just say its modern medicine that was responsible for it all. I personally believe that positive alignment of my chakra is responsible for the good health of all the people in my estate. Of course one or two of them have some bogey stuff like cancer and strokes and stuff but that's only because they have closed minds and never used the incense I give them. One of them had the temerity to tell me I believed in nothing but poppycock. Thank Goddess for my positive chakra or else he would have gotten some pretty bad vibes off of me. Goddess, I hate people with closed minds…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I think you picked up my point wrong. I was saying that a lot of modern medicine is not as effective as we are lead to believe.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I think you picked up my point wrong. I was saying that a lot of modern medicine is not as effective as we are lead to believe.
    I hear ya

*cough* codeine *cough*

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    I hear ya

*cough* codeine *cough*
    Is the codeine not helping your cough? You should take some more.

Codeine ain't modern though, it comes from de earf blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

Is the codeine not helping your cough? You should take some more.

Codeine ain't modern though, it comes from de earf blood.

francois wrote: »
    That's Codine, we're talking about Codeine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

That's Codine, we're talking about Codeine

Codine is a common misspelling of Codeine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭francois

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

sorry baz think i did take you up wrong. I think the key to this is the last part of the quote above - 'as we are lead to believe'.

Unfortunately people are really sh1t at maths and in particular probability (for proof look at the success of the lotto). So the medicine community rather than saying 'look we don't know what causes this, we have this drug that seems to work in 60% of cases to relieve 70% of the symptoms' say 'here's a cure, take it'.

sorry baz think i did take you up wrong. I think the key to this is the last part of the quote above - 'as we are lead to believe'.

Unfortunately people are really sh1t at maths and in particular probability (for proof look at the success of the lotto). So the medicine community rather than saying 'look we don't know what causes this, we have this drug that seems to work in 60% of cases to relieve 70% of the symptoms' say 'here's a cure, take it'.

I wouldn't blame people's lack of understanding of probability so much as pharmaceutical companies concern about their share price. If a company comes out with a product their marketing department is going to say its the best thing created since penicillin. There is probably not one ingredient in the average antibiotic tablet that people could pronounce let alone understand what it is so people have to take a lot of this on trust and faith. Trust that the doctor knows what he's prescribing and that EU regulations governing the product aren't going to let anything unsafe through.

I haven't a fookin' clue what's in Augmentin or the statical probability of how much its going to help my chest infection. I don't necessarily think I'm being dumb because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Diego Smartly

I read this article in Wired the other week, its mostly about how mental stress affects you physically, some of the stats are craaaazy!

Its long enough to be reading on the computer, try give it a look though: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/07/ff_stress_cure/

There was discussion here recently about Bull Fighting. I've seen something similar before, but this is mental. Hard to have sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I'm definitelyt drunk. Got 2 residencies in one night though. Good nights drunk work in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

If a guy down the roads tell you that he’s having visions, he’s called a nutjob. But a guy down the road in history that had visions and whole town/village/city becomes a shrine to his madness.

:)Ive had some visions in the past:)
    I was voluntarily touching on insanity at the time:D:P
    Does that make me a prophet??

Personally I never take anything for headaches or anything really for that matter, unless it was really really bad.

Only the proven good stuff;);)

Yes when you delve into it it really is an eye opener as to who is in charge of our health!!

Donald rumsfeld was owner of the drug company Gilead Sciences that pioneered the production of 'Tamiflu' to treat H5N1 or Bird flu......now the plot thickens when vast amounts of this drug never shifted during the time when the Bird flu was 'expected' to spread rapidly around the world but never materialised leaving huge amounts of this shelved. Lo & behold fast forward a few years & we have another 'outbreak' of a supposedly potential pandemic in swine flu & what is the cure for this that was being pedalled???? Tamiflu......what a coincidence!!! But it goes deeper than that, the shelf life of the stocks of Tamiflu which was produced back in the early to mid 2000's is only five years which would have meant millions upon millions of dollars of stock would have to be dumped, Unless it could be used to treat a new virus......enter the 'swine flu worldwide pandemic' that was being blown up by the media that it was going to devestate countrys & that the vaccines were in short supply thus creating the fear that you were somehow not likely to receive it & would then go out to seek from your GP whether or not he had sufficient stocks of it & try & get yours first.

Dont beleive the hype, drug companies are no different to any other company operating in the capatalist markets, they have to protect their share price & profits & losses........sorry to get back to our original 'Pioneer' Mr. rumsfeld he earned millions from Tamiflu during the original H1N1 (Bird flu) 'outbreak' & also by way of royalties paid by Roche who now own the rights to Tamiflu he has earned more by clearing the stocks of tamiflu to treat H5N1 (swine flu)

Dont automatically take the doctors word for it that this is good for you & it is necessary to cure you or protect you before you see what at the back of it first.

Just another intereting fact you may want to know,

If you check the ingredients on a lot of processed food stuff you will find it is packed with all manner of chemicals which surley cant be good for you but heres a little history to one you will find in Jelly, Softdrinks, Chewing gum, Yogurts etc etc........

Aspartame,

The FDA (Food & Drug Administration) in america had banned aspartame from the food chain up to 1981 because of documented serious side affects it discovered from it,
    The company that has the rights to it if it was included in foods was G.D. Searle (CEO - Donald Rumsfeld), but was later bought by Montasano in 1985......so why would a company buy into such a dangerous & historically banned substance?? Because when Ronald Reagan was elected in 1981 the nnext day Searle reaplied to the FDA for aspartame to be approved for use as a sweetner in the general food chain, the newly appointed commisioner by reagan Arthur Hayes hull jr. ultimatley swung it that it would be passed into approval & then eventually left the FDA under a cloud of allegations, he later ended up working for the PR firm that handled all of ......wait wait guess who.......G.D. Searle & Montasano's affairs. Aspartame is now in our food chain but you may want to know at least one of its side affects,
    METHANOL (AKA WOOD ALCOHOL/POISON) (10% OF ASPARTAME)
    The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g., as part of a "food" product such as Jelly).
    Methanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An EPA assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." The recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-liter aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the EPA limit.
    The most well known problems from methanol poisoning are vision problems. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, causes retinal damage, interferes with DNA replication, and causes birth defects. Due to the lack of a couple of key enzymes, humans are many times more sensitive to the toxic effects of methanol than animals. Therefore, tests of aspartame or methanol on animals do not accurately reflect the danger for humans. As pointed out by Dr Woodrow C. Monte, Director of the Food Science and Nutrition Laboratory at Arizona State University, "There are no human or mammalian studies to evaluate the possible mutagenic, teratogenic, or carcinogenic effects of chronic administration of methyl alcohol."

And there is far far more to this chemical once you dig a little deeper.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm definitelyt drunk. Got 2 residencies in one night though. Good nights drunk work in my eyes.
    Nice one man, well done. Where?

Bit of a shameless plug here on behalf of the other half, seeing there's a few Beer aficionados on here:

Lughnasa Beer Festival

[URL="https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/17989/124870.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It's on this evening in Crawdaddy, from 5pm - 10pm. There looks to be more than 40 types of beers to sample. Basically the deal is you pay 20 Euro in, and with this you get 5 samples of beers (in small glasses). I know, I know, it's a bit steep - but hey - I didn't set the prices, and you do get to sample a few different beers and hear some live music to boot!
    Music is from Prison Love, with support from Suzanne Purcell (my other half).

Facebook, and Deveney's beer blog

• Advertisement

I'm actually a bit of a beer nerd and was thinking about going to this, but after the week I've had......and looking out the window at the moment......it's a tough decision....

I'm actually a bit of a beer nerd and was thinking about going to this, but after the week I've had......and looking out the window at the moment......it's a tough decision....
    Yea they'd hoped for good weather - were planning on having the music outside in the front area of Crawdaddy, doubt that's do-able now. Supposed to be clear later according to met.ie, hopefully there'll be a bit of blue sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Just another intereting fact you may want to know,

If you check the ingredients on a lot of processed food stuff you will find it is packed with all manner of chemicals which surley cant be good for you but heres a little history to one you will find in Jelly, Softdrinks, Chewing gum, Yogurts etc etc........

Aspartame,

The FDA (Food & Drug Administration) in america had banned aspartame from the food chain up to 1981 because of documented serious side affects it discovered from it,
    The company that has the rights to it if it was included in foods was G.D. Searle (CEO - Donald Rumsfeld), but was later bought by Montasano in 1985......so why would a company buy into such a dangerous & historically banned substance?? Because when Ronald Reagan was elected in 1981 the nnext day Searle reaplied to the FDA for aspartame to be approved for use as a sweetner in the general food chain, the newly appointed commisioner by reagan Arthur Hayes hull jr. ultimatley swung it that it would be passed into approval & then eventually left the FDA under a cloud of allegations, he later ended up working for the PR firm that handled all of ......wait wait guess who.......G.D. Searle & Montasano's affairs. Aspartame is now in our food chain but you may want to know at least one of its side affects,
    METHANOL (AKA WOOD ALCOHOL/POISON) (10% OF ASPARTAME)
    The absorption of methanol into the body is sped up considerably when free methanol is ingested. Free methanol is created from aspartame when it is heated to above 86 Fahrenheit (30 Centigrade). This would occur when aspartame-containing product is improperly stored or when it is heated (e.g., as part of a "food" product such as Jelly).
    Methanol breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An EPA assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." The recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-liter aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the EPA limit.
    The most well known problems from methanol poisoning are vision problems. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen, causes retinal damage, interferes with DNA replication, and causes birth defects. Due to the lack of a couple of key enzymes, humans are many times more sensitive to the toxic effects of methanol than animals. Therefore, tests of aspartame or methanol on animals do not accurately reflect the danger for humans. As pointed out by Dr Woodrow C. Monte, Director of the Food Science and Nutrition Laboratory at Arizona State University, "There are no human or mammalian studies to evaluate the possible mutagenic, teratogenic, or carcinogenic effects of chronic administration of methyl alcohol."

And there is far far more to this chemical once you dig a little deeper.
    It's not nearly as bad as the rumours would suggest:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

Pace2008 wrote: »
    It's not nearly as bad as the rumours would suggest:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/aspartame.asp

I really dont have time to read all this right now as i am under some serious pressure here at the minute & have to lleg it in the next 5 mins but i will get to next time i amm back at the PC & give it a full read through, however i will leave with this to digest.

"Survey of aspartame studies: correlation of outcome and funding sources," Walton found 166 separate published studies in the peer reviewed medical literature, which had relevance for questions of human safety. The 74 studies funded by industry all (100%) attested to aspartame's safety, whereas of the 92 non-industry funded studies, 84 (91%) identified a problem. Six of the seven non-industry funded studies that were favorable to aspartame safety were from the FDA, which has a public record that shows a strong pro-industry bias. Ralph G. Walton, MD, Prof. of Clinical Psychology, Northeastern Ohio Universities, College of Medicine, Dept. of Psychiatry, Youngstown, OH 44501, Chairman, The Center for Behavioral Medicine, Northside Medical Center, 500 Gypsy Lane, P.O. Box 240 Youngstown"

Also check the time line around the history of its controversial path to inclusion in the food chain,

December 1965-- While working on an ulcer drug, James Schlatter, a chemist at G.D. Searle, accidentally discovers aspartame, a substance that is 180 times sweeter than sugar yet has no calories.

Spring 1967-- Searle begins the safety tests on aspartame that are necessary for applying for FDA approval of food additives.

Fall 1967-- Dr. Harold Waisman, a biochemist at the University of Wisconsin, conducts aspartame safety tests on infant monkeys on behalf of the Searle Company. Of the seven monkeys that were being fed aspartame mixed with milk, one dies and five others have grand mal seizures.

November 1970-- Cyclamate, the reigning low-calorie artificial sweetener -- is pulled off the market after some scientists associate it with cancer. Questions are also raised about safety of saccharin, the only other artificial sweetener on the market, leaving the field wide open for aspartame.

December 18, 1970-- Searle Company executives lay out a "Food and Drug Sweetener Strategy' that they feel will put the FDA into a positive frame of mind about aspartame. An internal policy memo describes psychological tactics the company should use to bring the FDA into a subconscious spirit of participation" with them on aspartame and get FDA regulators into the "habit of saying, "Yes"."

Spring 1971-- Neuroscientist Dr. John Olney (whose pioneering work with monosodium glutamate was responsible for having it removed from baby foods) informs Searle that his studies show that aspartic acid (one of the ingredients of aspartame) caused holes in the brains of infant mice. One of Searle's own researchers confirmed Dr. Olney's findings in a similar study.

February 1973-- After spending tens of millions of dollars conducting safety tests, the G.D. Searle Company applies for FDA approval and submits over 100 studies they claim support aspartame's safety.

March 5, 1973-- One of the first FDA scientists to review the aspartame safety data states that "the information provided (by Searle) is inadequate to permit an evaluation of the potential toxicity of aspartame". She says in her report that in order to be certain that aspartame is safe, further clinical tests are needed.

May 1974-- Attorney, Jim Turner (consumer advocate who was instrumental in getting cyclamate taken off the market) meets with Searle representatives to discuss Dr. Olney's 1971 study which showed that aspartic acid caused holes in the brains of infant mice.

July 26, 1974-- The FDA grants aspartame its first approval for restricted use in dry foods.

August 1974-- Jim Turner and Dr. John Olney file the first objections against aspartame's approval.

March 24, 1976-- Turner and Olney's petition triggers an FDA investigation of the laboratory practices of aspartame's manufacturer, G.D. Searle. The investigation finds Searle's testing procedures shoddy, full of inaccuracies and "manipulated" test data. The investigators report they "had never seen anything as bad as Searle's testing."

January 10, 1977-- The FDA formally requests the U.S. Attorney's office to begin grand jury proceedings to investigate whether indictments should be filed against Searle for knowingly misrepresenting findings and "concealing material facts and making false statements" in aspartame safety tests. This is the first time in the FDA's history that they request a criminal investigation of a manufacturer.

January 26, 1977-- While the grand jury probe is underway, Sidley & Austin, the law firm representing Searle, begins job negotiations with the U.S. Attorney in charge of the investigation, Samuel Skinner.

March 8, 1977-- G. D. Searle hires prominent Washington insider Donald Rumsfeld as the new CEO to try to turn the beleaguered company around. A former Member of Congress and Secretary of Defense in the Ford Administration, Rumsfeld brings in several of his Washington cronies as top management.

July 1, 1977-- Samuel Skinner leaves the U.S. Attorney's office and takes a job with Searle's law firm. (see Jan. 26th)

August 1, 1977-- The Bressler Report, compiled by FDA investigators and headed by Jerome Bressler, is released. The report finds that 98 of the 196 animals died during one of Searle's studies and weren't autopsied until later dates, in some cases over one year after death. Many other errors and inconsistencies are noted. For example, a rat was reported alive, then dead, then alive, then dead again; a mass, a uterine polyp, and ovarian neoplasms were found in animals but not reported or diagnosed in Searle's reports.

December 8, 1977-- U.S. Attorney Skinner's withdrawal and resignation stalls the Searle grand jury investigation for so long that the statue of limitations on the aspartame charges runs out. The grand jury investigation is dropped.

June 1, 1979-- The FDA established a Public Board of Inquiry (PBOI) to rule on safety issues surrounding NutraSweet.

September 30, 1980-- The Public Board of Inquiry concludes NutraSweet should not be approved pending further investigations of brain tumors in animals. The board states it "has not been presented with proof of reasonable certainty that aspartame is safe for use as a food additive."

January 1981-- Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of Searle, states in a sales meeting that he is going to make a big push to get aspartame approved within the year. Rumsfeld says he will use his political pull in Washington, rather than scientific means, to make sure it gets approved.

January 21, 1981-- Ronald Reagan is sworn in as President of the United States. Reagan's transition team, which includes Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of G. D. Searle, hand picks Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes Jr. to be the new FDA Commissioner.

March, 1981-- An FDA commissioner's panel is established to review issues raised by the Public Board of Inquiry.

May 19, 1981-- Three of six in-house FDA scientists who were responsible for reviewing the brain tumor issues, Dr. Robert Condon, Dr. Satya Dubey, and Dr. Douglas Park, advise against approval of NutraSweet, stating on the record that the Searle tests are unreliable and not adequate to determine the safety of aspartame.

July 15, 1981-- In one of his first official acts, Dr. Arthur Hayes Jr., the new FDA commissioner, overrules the Public Board of Inquiry, ignores the recommendations of his own internal FDA team and approves NutraSweet for dry products. Hayes says that aspartame has been shown to be safe for its' proposed uses and says few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and repeated close scrutiny.

October 15, 1982-- The FDA announces that Searle has filed a petition that aspartame be approved as a sweetener in carbonated beverages and other liquids.

July 1, 1983-- The National Soft Drink Association (NSDA) urges the FDA to delay approval of aspartame for carbonated beverages pending further testing because aspartame is very unstable in liquid form. When liquid aspartame is stored in temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit, it breaks down into DKP and formaldehyde, both of which are known toxins.

July 8, 1983-- The National Soft Drink Association drafts an objection to the final ruling which permits the use of aspartame in carbonated beverages and syrup bases and requests a hearing on the objections. The association says that Searle has not provided responsible certainty that aspartame and its' degradation products are safe for use in soft drinks.

August 8, 1983-- Consumer Attorney, Jim Turner of the Community Nutrition Institute and Dr. Woodrow Monte, Arizona State University's Director of Food Science and Nutritional Laboratories, file suit with the FDA objecting to aspartame approval based on unresolved safety issues.

September, 1983-- FDA Commissioner Hayes resigns under a cloud of controversy about his taking unauthorized rides aboard a General Foods jet. (General foods is a major customer of NutraSweet) Burson-Marsteller, Searle's public relation firm (which also represented several of NutraSweet's major users), immediately hires Hayes as senior scientific consultant.

Fall 1983-- The first carbonated beverages containing aspartame are sold for public consumption.

I will get to that link you provided when i get back to my PC

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056006109
    Honestly, in this day and age, ffs, someone needs a slap

Zascar wrote: »
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056006109
    Honestly, in this day and age, ffs, someone needs a slap
    It's scary when people are that sheltered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Oh great, they're auto-tuning the ****ing x-factor now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Who here's goin to the picnic?

After running through the day by day line-up ive realised its the best one in years - I cant wait!

Gonna give it a miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

After running through the day by day line-up ive realised its the best one in years - I cant wait!

Wouldn't be hard. Usually 95% of the acts are rubbish. This year it's about 90%.

Advertisement