Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Seeing there's a few IT interested heads here - what are the thoughts on Raspberry Pi
    The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer that plugs into your TV and a keyboard. It’s a capable little PC which can be used for many of the things that your desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays high-definition video. We want to see it being used by kids all over the world to learn programming.

raspi_blue_white.png

If this kind of stuff was around when I was in secondary school I would have been all over it! Basically it's an ARM GNU/Linux box for 25 or 35 quid, which can do a lot, but the sweet thing being it has a HDMI output and USB input. Basically - you could buy one of these things, hook up a USB, and use it purely to control your home media. That's the theory anyway - a very cheap little piece of kit to get kids into programming.

Down the line, in a few months or a year, we should start to see little media centres for real cheap being run off small boards like these.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I was looking at this myself the other day, brilliant. Love stuff like this, great things are bound to come from it. Incredible what people can come up with when they get their heads together - and cram most of a whole pc into something the size of a credit card for just a few quid.

http://beta.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/raspberry-pi-everything-you-need-to-know-1069241
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/video/2012/mar/05/raspberry-pi-developer-video

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

For those of a certain-ahem-vintage, this may prove to be the most bizarre film in a long time

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1634141/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

joker77 wrote: »
    Raspberry Pi
    Thoughts?

Saw this a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty fecking spectacular alright. A couple of us in work scoured the web for a while but they can't seem to be got for love nor money.

Will definitely be keeping an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Wait for it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Jeff, I know it's not your birthday, but I have a present for you anyway!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056584196

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ironically, the amount of women that die every year because they don't want to show their tits to a doctor will justify our groping for many years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

jtsuited wrote: »
    ironically, the amount of women that die every year because they don't want to show their tits to a doctor will justify our groping for many years to come!

You're not a Doctor yet Doogie!

TUBE away then!

Looks Like I've got Post of the Day again! Twice in on week haha! I did not even know what it was until a few days ago. Having some fun on the You Laugh You Lose thread. Started when I posted this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77771615#post77771615 but read on a few pages - then I made my own meme to add to the lulz

P.S. I had to delete the other post, see fb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Lads question real quick.been offered a blacklisted iphone 4s.can they be unlocked and be used if its blacklisted.

I think blacklisting only happens from the network. So it might be blacklisted on one network but work on another. Bring a few sim cards and test it maybe?

seannash wrote: »
    Lads question real quick.been offered a blacklisted iphone 4s.can they be unlocked and be used if its blacklisted.

My high horse mounted opinion: If people don't create a market for stolen gear, gear will eventually stop being stolen.

Apologies if my assumption is wide of the mark but the only other reason I can think a phone has been blacklisted for is if it was falsely claimed to have been lost or stolen and claimed for on insurance. Much the same thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

milltown wrote: »
    My high horse mounted opinion: If people don't create a market for stolen gear, gear will eventually stop being stolen.
    Apologies if my assumption is wide of the mark but the only other reason I can think a phone has been blacklisted for is if it was falsely claimed to have been lost or stolen and claimed for on insurance. Much the same thing IMO.
    Meh i'm not really fussed but the story is the phones original owner got a taxi and bailed without paying the considerable fair.in the rush to make his hastey exit he left his phone behind.the taxi man offered to sell it to me to cover the price of the fair.
    I didn't steal it but it was offered to me so i'm asking can it be used if its blacklisted.
    I do think this is the wrong forum to get on that particular high horse what with all the illegal downloading,drug taking etc that some of the users have admitted to getting up to in the past.
    Like I said i'm not offended by your comment as i'm not too fussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

thumbnail.crop=center,width=304,height=171,grow=1.jpg?sig=c581b6b424639fa38c06246f7c0f2e5d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

jesus-phone.jpeg
    AoNuMLzCAAAwRsV.jpg

Take the phone and then steal your heroin. The durty bastard…

I do think this is the wrong forum to get on that particular high horse what with all the illegal downloading,drug taking etc that some of the users have admitted to getting up to in the past. Like I said i'm not offended by your comment as i'm not too fussed.
    Hahahahaha fair play Sean! :D

Brian I see your point but in fairness it's like the people who say the best way to stop the war on drugs is to stop people wanting to take drugs. That's pretty much impossible. It's part of the fibre of humans to seek out bigger thrills and highs - and also to get a good bargain on an expensive phone ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

The only thing I'd say is that stealing and drug taking are morally and ethically different issues. But both are personal choices really and both are going to be a part of life ad finitum.

Yes this is true, however - I'm not condoning buying dodgy goods - but Sean is not exactly stealing a phone out of someone's jacket.

ianuss wrote: »
    The only thing I'd say is that stealing and drug taking are morally and ethically different issues. But both are personal choices really and both are going to be a part of life ad finitum.
    True dat.

I'm a little conflicted over both really.

I've no issue with drug use, but I do with drug abuse.

On the issue of stealing / mobile phones, as you say, it's always going to go on with these type of trinkets (LOOK AT THE SHINY SHINY!)

I'm more and more conflicted though with the shiny shiny. I'll admit I have a brand spanking new smartphone, but I'm well aware that to live in our luxury 1st world with our fancy toys and electronic gadgets, that this world can ONLY exist if there are large parts of the rest of the world living in dirt poor conditions, working for a pittance.

Nobody likes to think about this when they buy a mobile, an iPad, a flat screen TV... but more and more I have been, and as I say, I'm conflicted.

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Yes this is true, however - I'm not condoning buying dodgy goods - but Sean is not exactly stealing a phone out of someone's jacket.
    splitting hairs...

Maybe it's just me, but I do see a big difference between proactively stealing a phone from someone when they are not looking - versus buying a phone from someone else - who found it in their taxi after the guy ran without paying the fair...

Yeah but hypodermically speaking, if there was no market there'd be no point stealing stuff. And what's to say that the taxi driver didn't just find it in his cab and rob it, rather than the fare dodging scenario.

I'll admit I have a brand spanking new smartphone, but I'm well aware that to live in our luxury 1st world with our fancy toys and electronic gadgets, that this world can ONLY exist if there are large parts of the rest of the world living in dirt poor conditions, working for a pittance.

Nobody likes to think about this when they buy a mobile, an iPad, a flat screen TV... but more and more I have been, and as I say, I'm conflicted.

Ignorance is bliss.

Yeah but hypodermically speaking

?

Maybe it's just me, but I do see a big difference between proactively stealing a phone from someone when they are not looking - versus buying a phone from someone else - who found it in their taxi after the guy ran without paying the fair...
    Seriously?

Nobody is going to say - oh by the way - this is robbed.

Ignorance is bliss.
    For you, or the unwashed?

I'm more and more conflicted though with the shiny shiny. I'll admit I have a brand spanking new smartphone, but I'm well aware that to live in our luxury 1st world with our fancy toys and electronic gadgets, that this world can ONLY exist if there are large parts of the rest of the world living in dirt poor conditions, working for a pittance.
    I'm a sucker for it too - I want the new HTC that's coming out in a few weeks: http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one-x/

?

I guess that's one of those gags that only works face-to-face......'hypothetically speaking'. Nothing funnier than a moron trying to use a big word and getting it all muddled up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

What about the morality of police auctions?

And what's to say that the taxi driver didn't just find it in his cab and rob it, rather than the fare dodging scenario.
    I seriously doubt that the taxi driver just conveniently "found" the phone after the guy jumped the cab. Sounds too convenient to me.

Funny story about that. A mate of one of the lads I work with left his iPhone in a taxi after a night out. He tried to ring it but it either kept ringing out or the call was rejected. Luckily enough he had that "find your phone" app on it so he tracked it down to a taxi rank. So himself and a few mates were sitting in their car and waiting until a taxi moved off (to make sure it was the right guy to approach), and then followed the guy and waited for him to stop.
    They went up to him and asked him for his phone back. He said he didn't know what they were talking about, so they rang the phone and they could hear it ringing in the glovebox. Cue the taxi driver trying to explain himself, saying "oh, that phone? Yeah I was on my way to the police station to hand that in....yadda, yadda, yadda!!" :D

Advertisement