Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

You should get a decent stream here. Try a sopcast link if you can, it's usually good quality (you'll need to d/l the sopcast software).

http://www.wiziwig.tv/index.php?part=sports

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Bangin mix by Speedy J from 2004... shame about the odd voice over in whatever language it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Any twitter users on here?

It's alerting me to the fact it's Carl Craig's birthday today. The reason it's alerting me, is that he's retweeting all the happy birthdays from people.

Bit lame.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Name change... sht I'll miss this ability when I lose my mod powers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Can you change the oldskool thread name to the knobhead haters thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

article-2148218-133CA8BD000005DC-40_634x436.jpg
    article-0-133C6005000005DC-13_634x417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

^ gottta book him for a Kitchen Sync set in the TP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was just discussing how much money people make from popular youtube clips and did a quick search and came up with this (forgive the source, but it was the most concise). Decent money for just one successful clip.

Chance of going viral is pretty damn slim though

I remember being mashed in some after party chatting to this girl who this happened to - some random clip with her dancing, went viral, hundreds of thousands of views, and she was picked up for some modelling job.

Nice work if you can get it, but with 72 hours of footage added every minute, slim to none chance

• Advertisement

Yeah, you'd have more chance of winning the lotto than having a video going viral. Interesting figures all the same.

Got me thinking though, if a company makes an ad and sticks it up on youtube and then it goes viral, they would then start making money on their ad? Bit of a strange one if that's the case.

You have to enable Ads on your profile to make money...

Would they enable Ads, on an Ad, so that someone watching their Ad could click another Ad?

(there's an xzibit meme in there somewhere)

Haha. Very true, although what difference would it make. Who actually clicks on those adds anyway?

Isn't that how people get paid in the first place? Some people obviously do click through...

Although it's interesting what's happening with Facebook and Ads. It'll be really interesting to see what happens next - the big problem there is the app - they haven't figured out how to put Ads in, without really p*ssing people off. More and more people are using the app rather than the site, in the meantime they're losing money, not good for them. Could it be the beginning of the end for Facebook?

joker77 wrote: »
    Isn't that how people get paid in the first place? Some people obviously do click through...

Although it's interesting what's happening with Facebook and Ads. It'll be really interesting to see what happens next - the big problem there is the app - they haven't figured out how to put Ads in, without really p*ssing people off. More and more people are using the app rather than the site, in the meantime they're losing money, not good for them. Could it be the beginning of the end for Facebook?
    The beginning of the end for FB happened on Monday. As soon as Joe Public starts investing in something it's always the beginning of the end.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    The beginning of the end for FB happened on Monday. As soon as Joe Public starts investing in something it's always the beginning of the end.

I think it died when one of my friends put up pictures of himself in hospital after getting an ingrown hair removed from his arse. Oversharing is not a good quality in life.

See Microsoft are entering the ring - www.so.cl?

Very strangely timed. But the big thing that jumps out at me there is - it allows you to log in through Facebook.

If there is to be 'the next Facebook' - the major thing it needs is for you to be able to log in using Facebook, and pull in all your sh*t. This wasn't easily done with G+, major reason it didn't go anywhere, imo.

MS on a hiding to nothing there though.

the promo video for that so.cl thing is the most vacuous thing I've seen in a while

the promo video for that so.cl thing is the most vacuous thing I've seen in a while

I'm not going to bother looking at but those it have anything unique going for it that facebook can't replicate. Tbh, I can't see anything upsetting the dominance of facebook. It's not like changing system software or going android over iphone, if you quit facebook you leave behind that social network without anyone coming with you.

Tbh, I can't see anything upsetting the dominance of facebook. It's not like changing system software or going android over iphone, if you quit facebook you leave behind that social network without anyone coming with you.
    That was my earlier point though - the next Facebook, if it is to come, has to allow you to take it all with you. Which is possible, with their APIs

• Advertisement

That was my earlier point though - the next Facebook, if it is to come, has to allow you to take it all with you. Which is possible, with their APIs

The problem is though that people are inherently lazy, myself included. If something is working for them they're not going to bother changing - I can't see what could cause a mass exodus from facebook bar they start charging people to use it - something they know themselves would be suicide.

The problem is though that people are inherently lazy, myself included. If something is working for them they're not going to bother changing - I can't see what could cause a mass exodus from facebook bar they start charging people to use it - something they know themselves would be suicide.
    I think apathy would be their biggest threat, that said, I'd imagine they're holding out for the eventual IT explosion in the likes of China and India.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I think apathy would be their biggest threat, that said, I'd imagine they're holding out for the eventual IT explosion in the likes of China and India.

Consumer apathy has been their biggest asset imo. They can do what they want and people stick with them. Change their layout? Not a problem, the most extreme reaction they are going to get is people creating a facebook page giving out about the new layout. That said, now that share price could be affected the might be a bit sketchier about changing things too radically.

People are lazy, but they are also very fickle

What it would take for the next Facebook to stand a chance:
    • the ability to log in using Facebook
    • pull all data you have in Facebook, to the new platform (TAKE ALL THE DATA!)
    • new platform to be better somehow (very possible, I still can't believe how bad Facebook is at some things, like searching)
    • key people start using it
    • new platform have a way of generating revenue, on all devices, without charging people (the holy grail)
    Perhaps for point 3, the new platform would allow you to do 'everything' on the web. Connect (email, message, im), talk voice/video), consume (watch, read), Buy.

The last one is something only in it's infancy, with Google Wallet. But what if, with the new platform, it was all linked. You would consume the web through this platform, paying for stuff as you go through authenticating through the platform.

I dunno, I think there's plenty of scope for Facebook to implode and something bigger to come along

Ostensibly, you're talking about something that would be like a combined facebook/itunes hybrid. That is an interesting concept and surely must be what they are thinking about themselves down the road. But I suppose something like that would be pretty heavily regulated which is something facebook seems to free from. Searching on facebook is a disaster...

I'd still reckon it's going to come from the Google direction

Their control on the web is still growing despite their failed attempts at the social side. Chrome now the biggest browser, which allows you to connect your google account. Docs now becoming Drive. YouTube.

Actually, the more I'm pondering it - the more I'm thinking if Google do make a decent stab at the Chrome app, then they could eventually kill facebook.

If Chrome became ubiquitous, and your Google account did everything necessary, Facebook's use would slide dramatically.

Yea - Google to kill Facebook, imo, long term

Yeah, that's the thing. It needs to be almost an integrated browser that connects everything. Having to remember passwords, and logging into different accounts/apps can be a pain. People like simple "big button" computing, that's what Apple are great at.

I'd still reckon it's going to come from the Google direction

Their control on the web is still growing despite their failed attempts at the social side. Chrome now the biggest browser, which allows you to connect your google account. Docs now becoming Drive. YouTube.

Actually, the more I'm pondering it - the more I'm thinking if Google do make a decent stab at the Chrome app, then they could eventually kill facebook.

If Chrome became ubiquitous, and your Google account did everything necessary, Facebook's use would slide dramatically.

Yea - Google to kill Facebook, imo, long term

Augment their Chrome app with Plus? That sounds a pretty convincing argument

Speaking of Google, I love the Google doodle today. Proper Oldskool! :D

• Advertisement

They're nearly there with Chrome linked to Google account.

It's not going to be G+ though, that died 6 months ago. It'll have to be their next stab at it. But I don't think they need to do something like they did before - as in try to recreate Facebook. People don't want that. The next platform doesn't have to be Facebook v2

Advertisement