Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

on the subject of podcasts, I have downloaded the odd one and listened on my home computer, for on the move I rip everything to FLAC from cd so only pick up mixes occasionally... I'd normally run a mile from anything with the Ministry of Sound logo on it but the recent 3cd mix from Andy Weatherall is really excellent, hasn't left my car since I got it.

http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Weatherall-Masterpiece-Created-By-Andrew-Weatherall/master/434039

The difference in FLAC and a 192kps mp3 on decent headphones is ridiculous. I just use 320kps mp3's to save storage space though. I remember reading the review of that Weatherall CD on RA but never checked it out, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oh, and on the subject of compilations, this compilation is amazing. Have it a few years now and it never gets old. I think someone on here originally recommended it.

R-1798888-1248298125.jpeg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I've tried so many ear buds but they're just not as good. Got the Tracks cheap too. :(

How much are ya willing to pay? I've the same set of ear buds nearly 5 years now, they were pricey at the time, but I'd say it's the best money I've ever spent for the use I've got out of them.

How much are ya willing to pay? I've the same set of ear buds nearly 5 years now, they were pricey at the time, but I'd say it's the best money I've ever spent for the use I've got out of them.

Depends really. If they were good enough I wouldn't mind shelling out for them. I'd only really use them for running, and the biggest problem when running is keeping them in your ears.

Depends really. If they were good enough I wouldn't mind shelling out for them. I'd only really use them for running, and the biggest problem when running is keeping them in your ears.

I spent 180 on a pair of Ultimate Ears which most people though was stupid and they might have a point :pac: The way I see it is that I've been a student the last 5 years and use them every day for a few hours at least so I think it was worth it. Proabably not if ya only use them for running though :D

• Advertisement

I spent 180 on a pair of Ultimate Ears which most people though was stupid and they might have a point :pac: The way I see it is that I've been a student the last 5 years and use them every day for a few hours at least so I think it was worth it. Proabably not if ya only use them for running though :D

I never see the problem with spending big money on quality equipment, especially if you get the use out of them. Some people think you're crazy though when you tell them how much they cost but personally they'd spend just as much on the night out.

I never see the problem with spending big money on quality equipment, especially if you get the use out of them. Some people think you're crazy though when you tell them how much they cost but personally they'd spend just as much on the night out.

Sure the same people have probably bought around 10 pairs of cheap headphones that keep breaking in that time, ya definitely get what ya pay for. Check the buyers guide on headfonia.com of you're looking for a new pair.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah, mad money. Sure look at the cost of a new cable. You'd be better off buying a new pair and selling the good bits off your old pair for spare parts.

Real sickener. I had them around my neck and bent down to pick something up and the wire got caught, and then when I stood up I just yanked the cable out. I was absolutely gutted. I thought they were a great set of headphones. I actually used them for running as I've tried so many ear buds but they're just not as good. Got the Tracks cheap too. :(

It's incredible how badly Nokia lost their market share. At one stage they were almost the only phone on the market. But that said, even with limited functionality, the interface was quite clunky.

Nuts, never knew they charged that much for parts. Mine really are in bits so a new pair looks the only option.

Haven't tried the Tracks for running, must give them a bash.

Yeah amazing to see the decline of Nokia - they really were the dominant player for quite a while.
    The difference in FLAC and a 192kps mp3 on decent headphones is ridiculous. I just use 320kps mp3's to save storage space though. I remember reading the review of that Weatherall CD on RA but never checked it out, looks good.

I sometimes use 320kps but do actually notice the difference with FLAC - I don't know if I'd pass a blind test if it was put to me but it has happened plenty of times where I notice the music quality isn't quite as good on an album and when I check it has been only encoded in 320, most of my CDs have been ripped to FLAC but there would be some stuff on drives in 320 that at times end up on my player.

On the subject of headphones, I've mentioned here before that I've quite an addiction to them! My favourite and most used are the Sennheiser IE8 - they are almost 300 euro but thankfully I know someone where I got them at cost. I've always found each time I upgrade headphones I wonder how the fck the sound could get any better and then I try a more expensive set and yet again notice the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

On the subject of headphones, I've mentioned here before that I've quite an addiction to them! My favourite and most used are the Sennheiser IE8 - they are almost 300 euro but thankfully I know someone where I got them at cost. I've always found each time I upgrade headphones I wonder how the fck the sound could get any better and then I try a more expensive set and yet again notice the difference.
    It's ridiculous alright the improvements higher end gear gives. Not that I have any, but I remember buying HiFi magazines years ago and being baffled at the cost of some of the stuff - but then going into a shop where they had a proper listening setup, nearly reduced me to tears...

On the subject of headphones, I'm badly in need of a new set of DJ ones. Financing them is proving difficult though - my addictions to cycling and buying vinyl are taking presidence...

I reckon I'll be in the market before the year is out though - you still good for deals Scubadevils?

Check the buyers guide on headfonia.com of you're looking for a new pair.

Got that mixed up actually, head-fi.org is the best place for reviews

• Advertisement

Man, I've wanted a pair of IE 8's for years now. I just can't justify paying that when I still have working high end buds. I wonder what these bad boys sound like http://tinyurl.com/bwfcojw :cool:

See Hard to Find Records has gone bust. It's under new management and they've stopped selling equipment. Going mad I didn't buy those 1210 flightcases when I had chance.

Funny thing is, they're now selling Whiskey! Ha.

I actually thought they were taking the p1ss and it was some jokey promotion, but apparently it's legit. Diversify, diversify, diversify!

Can' wait for their Hard to Find Yokes website.

Think Discogs opening up to sellers killed them off

Whiskey though - that is just well weird

joker77 wrote: »
    Think Discogs opening up to sellers killed them off
    Yeah, but I thought they could've continued with the equipment side of the business.

What always p1ssed me off about them is that you never knew the condition of the secondhand vinyl you were buying off them. I've bought new releases off them which were always fine, but the one and only time I bought something secondhand (in my my naivety I didn't realise it was secondhand) it was in less than great condition. I emailed them complaining but they didn't reply.

I bought quite a few second hand, know what you mean - some weren't in great nick at all. Dodgy pressing as well, there were a lot of them - some real rare stuff they got crappy quality white labels of

Not sorry to see the back of them. They ripped me off about 10 years ago. I was selling a load of records - 100 or 150, had a deal agreed on price and they would refund the shipping cost. Wasn't getting much, but I'd 10 maybe in there that were on their wanted list, so reckoned that's why it was worth their while. Anyway - deal agreed, shipped, heard nothing. Got back in touch - the story was the guy I'd agreed the deal with had left - the replacement guy couldn't honour the deal. Was f*cked because they had the records and I'd have to pay to have them shipped back. Had to take half what I'd agreed. Very p*ssed off about that.

I told that story to someone a couple of years ago - his mate had the exact same experience with them. Sneaky scamming cnuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Good riddance to them.

Anyone any opinion on what way the economy is going? Seems to be a lot of bad news the last couple of weeks and I haven't heard it been said yet, but a double dip recession seems to be on the cards. Fairly depressing state at the moment with very few rays of sunshine.

Perhaps it's time to retreat to the bunker:-

http://gu.com/p/3222p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ah things are getting better. slight decreases in unemployment here and there. manufacturing is up. and we're meeting the targets of the IMF.

And I saw 2 Maseratis today parked beside each other. So some people are still balling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

jtsuited wrote: »
    ah things are getting better. slight decreases in unemployment here and there. manufacturing is up. and we're meeting the targets of the IMF.

And I saw 2 Maseratis today parked beside each other. So some people are still balling.

Are you mad in the head? We're fukced. And we're going to get fukcdeder. 3 more crippling budgets to follow. The only reason there's any positivity regarding Ireland is our exports. And they'll never grow to a size where they'll help us pay off the crippling interest payments on our debt, let alone grow the economy. We're benefiting from the general slump in Europe which has caused the € falling in value. In that regard, we're just lucky. It's not the result of any positive action on the government's part. http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2012/08/03/whats-the-eus-endgame

There are a few places around Dublin where there's no recession but that's not the norm. 1.8m people have less than €100 disposable income at the end of the month. Unemployment in Ireland is the 5th highest in Europe.

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/some-harsh-facts-about-unemployment-in-ireland/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0627/ireland-has-5th-highest-unemployment-rate-in-eu.html

edit; I'm pretty sure we've already had a double dip recession. It was a good few months ago IIRC. Two consecutive quarters which see a contraction is a recession (I think).

Is it not a great depression by now rather than a measly recession?

There's a few who've said it is because the current crisis is a global one.

I've also read claims that we're in the middle of a 10-14 year cycle which only began in '07 so there's a long way to go yet.

• Advertisement

A good war will sort it out. Isn't that what always happens?

A good war will sort it out. Isn't that what always happens?

It wasn't a war that ended the Great Depression in the US.
    http://history.howstuffworks.com/american-history/roosevelts-new-deal.htm

This one's for Jeff

bap_1.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

joker77 wrote: »
    It's ridiculous alright the improvements higher end gear gives. Not that I have any, but I remember buying HiFi magazines years ago and being baffled at the cost of some of the stuff - but then going into a shop where they had a proper listening setup, nearly reduced me to tears...

On the subject of headphones, I'm badly in need of a new set of DJ ones. Financing them is proving difficult though - my addictions to cycling and buying vinyl are taking presidence...

I reckon I'll be in the market before the year is out though - you still good for deals Scubadevils?

Ah its unreal alright how much difference it makes with better quality audio equipment. Its my dream one day to have enough cash to splash out on the ultimate audio system with the very best in separates, interconnects, speakers etc!

Yeah sure, give me a shout if you want headphones. I've access to most brands but Sennheiser are about the easiest - that said, the prices at times on Amazon aren't far off local cost prices!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

great olympics, probably the best one ever for me. really liked the change of vibe from china as well. got to hand it to them it was pretty damn good.

raymann wrote: »
    great olympics, probably the best one ever for me. really liked the change of vibe from china as well. got to hand it to them it was pretty damn good.
    Except for the closing ceremony, that was cack!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Didn't get to see as much as I would have liked, but what I did watch was brilliant. The BBC coverage was quality. The Irish coverage at times was embarrassing in comparison. Bill O'Herlihy should really be put out to pasture.

The run up to the Marley gigs is well and truly on.

http://www.thejournal.ie/marlay-park-concerts-560538-Aug2012/?utm_source=twitter_self

I'm going to the Kasabian gig and am expecting far more hassle from the cops because of the muppets at SHM.

Advertisement