Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Clanket wrote: »
    Especially twats that wear football and GAA jerseys while on holiday.

I love football, but I'm finding it harder and harder to talk/listen to people about it these days. Everyone takes it way too seriously. And a lot of people think they personally have achieved something by their team winning. Drives me nuts.
    I never got this.

Even when - and I'll admit it - I used to love Liverpool growing up, I always thought it was very odd when people spoke about the team using 'we' instead of 'they'. I'd think 'you don't play for Liverpool - why are you saying we?' in my head.

My love of football in general has slowly declined, to the point where I have zero passion for it. But I always much preferred playing football than watching it. Armchair sports-people as a whole I've always failed to understand. Voyeurs. No participation.

I despise the fact there are so many adults walking around wearing Premiership jerseys. Kids I can forgive, but middle aged men talking about Man United or Liverpool or Chelsea as 'we', gloating over results or getting depressed when they lose - they lead a very sad existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

They'd more than likely get a hiding if they walked around in a jersey over there. United supporter would get hopped on by a gang of City fans and vice versa etc

Ah, it's not really like that tbh. You would see a good few City jerseys and then the odd Korean in a United top :pac: They probably just stay in Salford, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

28648573.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Clucking Bell!
    Is trance really still that big elsewhere that it pwns the top 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

65a0614ctw1dxp0ht6k1kg.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

people who refer to a UK football club having never lived there etc as 'we' and 'us' can go fcuk themselves. fcuking retarded. especially considering that the premiership is merely the trophy cabinet of a few billionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

She really is stunning. And her diction is perfect. Normally diction isn't important to me but Jesus her diction is perfect

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

jtsuited wrote: »
    people who refer to a UK football club having never lived there etc as 'we' and 'us' can go fcuk themselves. fcuking retarded. especially considering that the premiership is merely the trophy cabinet of a few billionaires.

On a similar note... This is kinda what it all looks like to me...

4e5bce576cc52.jpg

hmmm....yeah that type of sports fan is a pain in the hole, but getting behind a local/regional/national team is great for the soul. Us rugby fans have been spoilt in that regard for the past decade with the Heineken cups, 6 nations etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

hmmm....yeah that type of sports fan is a pain in the hole, but getting behind a local/regional/national team is great for the soul. Us rugby fans have been spoilt in that regard for the past decade with the Heineken cups, 6 nations etc

Just like with the soccer… best phans in de worald! John Delaney's dead sound so he is. He bought us a pint in Poland. Sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

the reason soccer and northern hemisphere rugby fails is because you don't have cheerleaders.

Just like with the soccer… best phans in de worald!

in the same way that Ireland crushes in the Special Olympics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just like with the soccer… best phans in de worald! John Delaney's dead sound so he is. He bought us a pint in Poland. Sound fella.

In fairness though, you won't get too many sawkerball fans telling you that John Delaney is a sound fella. Most fans think he's a cnut, and that's not counting the LOI fans!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

I'm a Shels fan, I travel the country going to games. The standard ain't the best but we have great craic. I HATE John Delaney and the FAI, bunch of corrupt *****. We used to sing a song about John Delaney which we are now barred from singing, if we even mutter a verse we get a €250 fine

John Delaney your a ****ing ****,
    John Delaney your a ****ing ****,
    You hate the Reds,
    You sent us down,
    You take it up the ****in brown
    John Delaney your a ****ing ****

One of my fondest moments as a Shels fan was singing it to him in Waterford when we were no more than 30 yards from him, along with a few verses of Your so vain you think this song is about you then into

John Delaney your a lovely bloke,
    John Delaney your a lovely bloke,
    You run the league,
    You run it well,
    John we think your really swell,
    John Delaney your a lovely bloke

I see what joker is saying about people saying we when reffering to English clubs it has always drove me spare. I do refer to Shels as 'we' simply because I can it's one of the perks along with looking down your nose at barstoolers that supporting the LOI provides.
    I guarantee no supporter of an English club will ever experience the joy of Dave Rogers scoring against Hajduk Split in 2004 or feel the hurt I felt when the league and promotion was robbed from us by the stab city franchise in 2008. I don't believe you can truly feel part of a club by watching them on TV every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Any fans of The Shining?

No other film had such a profound impact on me the first time I watched it. Have seen it a heap of times since, really looking forward to seeing this:

MV5BMzQyMjgzNzAwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI0NjIzNw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2012/1026/1224325716377.html
    FOR THE uninitiated, Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining is a 1980 horror film in which leading man Jack Nicholson goes crazy and tries to chop up his wife and son.

As if. The Shining is actually a Holocaust movie. It’s Stanley Kubrick’s coded apology for helping Nasa stage the moon landing in 1969. It’s all about the genocide of Native Americans. It’s the director’s reworking of Theseus and the labyrinth. It’s the White Man’s Burden. It’s America.

These are just some of the readings collected in Rodney Ascher’s Room 237, a fascinating documentary snapshot of the subculture that has grown up around Kubrick’s intriguing ghost story. “Room 237 is very much the story of what happens in the mind of an audience when a film leaves the filmmaker,” says Ascher. “What happens when the audience attempts to solve the mysteries they encounter in a film.”

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Looks like a nice movie! :pac:

joker77 wrote: »
    Any fans of The Shining?

No other film had such a profound impact on me the first time I watched it. Have seen it a heap of times since, really looking forward to seeing this:

MV5BMzQyMjgzNzAwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODI0NjIzNw@@._V1._SY317_.jpg

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/theticket/2012/1026/1224325716377.html

I read a review from a Shining fan that absolutely slated it. Said it was pure conspiracy theory nonsense. Sounds like a load of bullsh¡t to me. I love that film as well. Time of the year to schtick it on. That and Evil Dead 2. Greatest movie ever made©.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Haven't seen it in a while but it's a cracking film.

I'm always confused though by the bit at the end where it pans to an old photo on the wall of the hotel in a previous time and Jack Nicholson is in it.

What was he trying to say with this?

Haven't seen it in a while but it's a cracking film.

I'm always confused though by the bit at the end where it pans to an old photo on the wall of the hotel in a previous time and Jack Nicholson is in it.

What was he trying to say with this?

My reading of it is that the hotel has absorbed him, taken his soul and basically made him part of the hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

I'd probably be guilty of dropping the odd 'we' in here every now and then. But that would probably only be if I was talking about my team in conversation.....'we were terrible today' or 'I thought we played really well' etc.... Sad as it is, supporting my team is something I've done for about 98% of my life and if I lived over there I'd have a season ticket.

Anyway, I find it a hollow argument coming from anyone who supports an Irish province in the egg chasing. Provinces are the most irrelevant thing in Ireland (unless you're from Ulster perhaps). I can't imagine there ever being a time in my life when being from Leinster was of any significance. It's just a load of gerrymandering bs to make Irish club teams competitive.

And the point about the billionaires is only a very recent phenomena. And it's not like club ownership has anything to do with why a child would choose to support a particular club.

ianuss wrote: »

Anyway, I find it a hollow argument coming from anyone who supports an Irish province in the egg chasing. Provinces are the most irrelevant thing in Ireland (unless you're from Ulster perhaps). I can't imagine there ever being a time in my life when being from Leinster was of any significance. It's just a load of gerrymandering bs to make Irish club teams competitive.

while that might be true, i'm living less than 3 miles from where Leinster play. And most of the team members come from within 20 miles of where I live. I think it's very fair to call them the local team.

while that might be true, i'm living less than 3 miles from where Leinster play. And most of the team members come from within 20 miles of where I live. I think it's very fair to call them the local team.

Should you not support someone in the AIB League or whatever they call it these days?

Should you not support someone in the AIB League or whatever they call it these days?

no, why would I? Leinster are far more prevalent in my locality. While the name might suggest that they are a cross province team, essentially Leinster is a South Dublin based team. And I live in South Dublin.

I'm a Shels fan, I travel the country going to games. The standard ain't the best but we have great craic. I HATE John Delaney and the FAI, bunch of corrupt *****. We used to sing a song about John Delaney which we are now barred from singing, if we even mutter a verse we get a €250 fine
    Under what jurisdiction can you be fined? I know they can take signs and banners off you (which the FAI have done plenty of times at Lansdowne), but stopping you singing and then fining you?

I see what joker is saying about people saying we when reffering to English clubs it has always drove me spare. I do refer to Shels as 'we' simply because I can it's one of the perks along with looking down your nose at barstoolers that supporting the LOI provides.
    I guarantee no supporter of an English club will ever experience the joy of Dave Rogers scoring against Hajduk Split in 2004 or feel the hurt I felt when the league and promotion was robbed from us by the stab city franchise in 2008. I don't believe you can truly feel part of a club by watching them on TV every week.
    I support Man Utd. but I wouldn't get into the "we" business when talking about results. I've been over to see them a few times, but I really don't get the lads that take every result so personally, especially when some of them have never seen them play outside of the pub or their Sky package.

The only team that I'd support with any real passion would be the Irish Team. I go to nearly all the home games and have travelled when funds have permitted. I genuinely get upset when they lose (which has been quite a lot lately!) but I wouldn't be distraught the way you see some people get when Arsenal or Liverpool or whatever English team lose, that's something I don't get.

Aren't you from Kildare though?

Exactly which ground are we talking about anyway....the one they share with the soccer team and Lady Gaga and Madonna etc. or the one they share with the horses, the wedding conventions and the students taking exams? Even Shamrock Rovers used to call the RDS their home.

Where exactly is the home of Leinster rugby? Narnia?

Exactly which ground are we talking about anyway....the one they share with the soccer team and Lady Gaga and Madonna etc. or the one they share with the horses, the wedding conventions and the students taking exams? Even Shamrock Rovers used to call the RDS their home.

Where exactly is the home of Leinster rugby? Narnia?

Belfield. They are my local team no matter which way you try to spin it. Even if you take where I'm from, Leinster are my local team. My local actual club was barnhall and I played for them and supported them for years. Trying to compare me supporting Leinster and people supporting teams across the water who have no connection other than an arbitrary choice they made as youngsters, and referring them as 'us' and 'we', is not comparing like with like whatsoever

But why try justify your support by saying that they're you're local team?

Ianuss said that it was a hollow argument coming from someone that supports a province.

• Advertisement

I still find it a tad hypocritical tbh. Just because you're from Leinster (which hardly even exists) and now live in South Dublin.......meh......if you supported a local side I'd have no argument.

Advertisement