Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

im living in france driving a uk registered car. it means you dont get speeding or parking tickets and the police dont pull you over ever because they dont speak english. its terrible out here for driving in general especially drink driving. they call it the wild west.

my friend had his car illegally parked outside a pub at 2am the other night and walked out, hammered, with three girls to find the police stood by it. they just told him to drive home safely and let him drive off. everybody out here drives pissed constantly. the most common thing you hear is 'i would never ever do it at home'.

all of the expats are driving uk cars with no tax insurance or even in a lot of cases ownership documents.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah I don't know on the appeal element - from what I understand if you appeal and are unsuccessful you get more points for your trouble. Also not sure on the 10 day thing but will look into that, you'd fcking think that there should be some opportunity to correct your speed.

The irony is that on the stretch of road in question since driving at the speed limit, I'm being passed out by everything from HGVs to grannies - then you have northern reg cars zooming past and you actually feel like you are not moving at all! I know it doesn't mean you drive above the speed limit but you actually feel more dangerous in this scenario!

Its not been a good week... my 13 year old cat died and I was made redundant in work, now this. All in a very good case to get pissed tonight... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Seeing yellow reg cars flying past on a motorway annoys the crap out of me, just because it reminds me how incompetent the government are in getting the cross border fines/penalty points sorted. A lot of people take the absolute píss on motorways.

Sorry for your troubles Scuba. Hope things pick up for you quickly. What industry you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Yeah I don't know on the appeal element - from what I understand if you appeal and are unsuccessful you get more points for your trouble. Also not sure on the 10 day thing but will look into that, you'd fcking think that there should be some opportunity to correct your speed.

The irony is that on the stretch of road in question since driving at the speed limit, I'm being passed out by everything from HGVs to grannies - then you have northern reg cars zooming past and you actually feel like you are not moving at all! I know it doesn't mean you drive above the speed limit but you actually feel more dangerous in this scenario!

Its not been a good week... my 13 year old cat died and I was made redundant in work, now this. All in a very good case to get pissed tonight... :pac:
    That's a shítty week alright, sorry to hear

Did you get sorted out with the redundancy? Anything else lined up yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ouch, definitely an excuse for a couple of beers if ever I read on. Either that or inspiration for a country and western tune. I hope you get sorted out jobwise soon.

• Advertisement

Clanket wrote: »
    Seeing yellow reg cars flying past on a motorway annoys the crap out of me, just because it reminds me how incompetent the government are in getting the cross border fines/penalty points sorted. A lot of people take the absolute píss on motorways.

Sorry for your troubles Scuba. Hope things pick up for you quickly. What industry you in?

Yes really annoys me too on the yellow regs.

Cheers, onwards & upwards as they say. I'll have a bit of music therapy today at some stage! I've worked in consumer electronics so quite a troubled area in a recession.
    joker77 wrote: »
    That's a shítty week alright, sorry to hear

Did you get sorted out with the redundancy? Anything else lined up yet?

Yes got sorted out alright in the end - I'm planning something in terms of my own business next and have got started with that already, hopefully that will work out!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry to hear that dave. I just got a new car and I was calling around for quotes, I have 4 point and one of them told me there was an additional premium of €72 from the 4 points. Not that bad really. BTW if anyone needs insurance now or in the future, Ian from www.insuremyvan.ie constantly gets the best quotes - it's worth noting that down twice now he's saved me a good chunk of cash. I found him through boards too when I was having difficulty getting a quote on another car.

Best of luck with the new venture Dave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Looks like Sean Quinn getting jailed. Darcy just said it on the radio.

Not before time if you ask me.

Zascar wrote: »
    BTW if anyone needs insurance now or in the future, Ian from www.insuremyvan.ie constantly gets the best quotes - it's worth noting that down twice now he's saved me a good chunk of cash. I found him through boards too when I was having difficulty getting a quote on another car.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess it was a Honda Civic. Anyone I know with Civic seems to get their insurance through there.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess it was a Honda Civic. Anyone I know with Civic seems to get their insurance through there.
    Need to go back 2 cars for Zascar's Civic ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

Yes really annoys me too on the yellow regs.

Cheers, onwards & upwards as they say. I'll have a bit of music therapy today at some stage! I've worked in consumer electronics so quite a troubled area in a recession.

Yes got sorted out alright in the end - I'm planning something in terms of my own business next and have got started with that already, hopefully that will work out!

Bummer, best of luck with that, need any help don't be afraid to ask

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Haha it was Andy! Bloody brilliant car and I won't have a bad things said about it! Ask Neal about the time I brought him for a spin and we got pulled over by the cops :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Zascar wrote: »
    Haha it was Andy! Bloody brilliant car and I won't have a bad things said about it! Ask Neal about the time I brought him for a spin and we got pulled over by the cops :p

Ips nay on the eal names ray!
    You'll blow their cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Jesus, sorry to hear that Dave. I thought I was having a bad week! Hope things turn for the good soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

on a slightly separate note ive been listening to that alt j album for the last couple of days. absolutely ****ing amazing. its so good that even in 2012 a band can come up with a totally original sound like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Not OT but feck it, new track from me - http://soundcloud.com/seanc/sean-conlan-break-out

Comments welcome, I'm a relative beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

article-2229131-15E3D063000005DC-648_634x814.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I should probably ask in the motors forum but they may not be the best for cars that are suited to detroit techno.

I need to pick up a car, budget about 5k give or take. I won't need it for huge mileage, mostly local Dublin driving. I had been thinking along the lines of a Golf or some other hatchback - I'm about to hand back my precious A4 :( under the 'halfway rule' and I know I'll really miss the engine, comfort etc but from what I understand buying an older Audi, BMW and the like can be expensive to run or when it comes to parts and that. Any thoughts or suggestions here? I'll be car-less in about a week, I can live without for a few days but still need to be making my mind up soon.

Others I had been toying with were Audi TT (not that sensible when you've two kids!), a jeep of some description, Ford Focus, Mini Cooper, Mondeo to name a few. My wife has a 5 door Golf so that can serve as the family car but I think mine will still need the ability to take passengers.

Hard to say with your budget

The smart money these days is going on small engine diesels, but they've only really started making decent ones recently, which means they'll be a little out of budget.

Diesel would be the way to go though, if you're thinking of running costs. Petrol is only going 1 way.

(this coming from a clown who has a 2 litre petrol)

• Advertisement

Scuba I just bought a TT about 2 weeks ago! After the money I lost of my last piece of sh1te I was thinking of just getting a banger, just a cheap runaround - but looking around if I was to spend 2-3k on something it would be very old, not very nice and have a high risk of needing expensive repairs soon. I was thinking of a Golf but they are surprisingly expensive, probably as they are so in demand. Plus I think they are boring - I had a civic Type R previously and have always hated golfs.

I went through the same process as you and ended up choosing the TT and I honestly could not been more happy with a decision. I love it. I paid under 4.5k, got a 2001, black, 225bhp Quattro. It's fecking deadly. Absolutely beautiful to drive, 4wd is brilliant. It's gorgeous inside, it got lovely leather seats (heated - which is great for Irish weather) all the toys like cruise control and trip computer etc, Bose sound system (although I'm changing the head unit as it has a tape deck currently) and everything is just really well built. It will get over 30mpg on a run. It has 80k on the clock but it has a near immaculate service history, mostly main dealer. The seats in the back are small but fine for kids. One of my mates who is 6'2 sat in the back and was very very uncomfortable though. Boot is surprisingly big though.

I considered a diesel but I don't do enough miles to warrant it. Plus they have a big price premium now - and they have bigger engines so you pay more tax. TT is a 1.8 so not too bad, and I got insurance fully comp with Aviva for €400! Anyway I'm bloody delighted I love driving it, and not even fast, I cruise around the place slowly as it's just a nice place to be! Also I drove the 180bhp version and was pretty impressed it's got loads of poke too. Anyway, it might not be the perfect choice for the family etc but if you do decide I highly recommend them :)

In other news some fukkers tried to steal my motorbike, trashed the whole ignition system and wrecked the tank. It has an Immobiliser so they'd never be able to steal it anyway. Idiots. Bastards in Liberty insurance want to take away 3 of my 4 years no claims and hike my policy by 43%, so I'll have to pay to get it fixed myself. Unless I can get the management company to cough up cause of their lax security - it's unlikely but I'm going to try...

Hard to say with your budget

The smart money these days is going on small engine diesels, but they've only really started making decent ones recently, which means they'll be a little out of budget.

Diesel would be the way to go though, if you're thinking of running costs. Petrol is only going 1 way.

(this coming from a clown who has a 2 litre petrol)

Honestly, if it's only for low mileage Dublin driving, I'd go with something like a 1.2 or 1.4 Skoda Fabia, pretty much a VW engine under a different badge from what I've been told. The only real drawback on the one I had was boot size. I have a Megane at the moment and they're a curse for doing simple things like changing bulbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Driving my Missus mini and it's actually really great to drive,not sensitive like other cars I've driven.it feels like your really driving.
    It's actually not too bad for room and I've had people in the back with not much complaints.boots a little small though
    It's got plenty if poke too.
    It does have that stigma of being a woman's car but I couldn't give a ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

Okay, it's got an enormous engine but just look at the amount of car you can get for ~€5k.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/CDI-04DR/201236209894611/advert?channel=CARS

Now is such a great time to be buying cars.

I'm probably going to be the only one gay enough to have picked out a practical car, aren't I…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sure aren't most cars reliable enough these days that the main concerns when buying are really just running costs and what you actually like the look of? Oh, and initial cost of course.

ianuss wrote: »
    Okay, it's got an enormous engine but just look at the amount of car you can get for ~€5k.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mercedes-Benz/S-Class/CDI-04DR/201236209894611/advert?channel=CARS

Now is such a great time to be buying cars.
    1 word. Tax

You can Fuel economy to that. Still, savage car though. I don't quite get why people go out and spent ~25k on a new car when you could run something like this for less half the price in the long run

Yeah one part of me is leaning very much towards sensible and cheap to run but I love cars so my heart is leaning towards something a bit fun with comfort. I have family and that in my ear saying buy a 1.4 Focus, cheap to run etc but not that exciting...

Colly the TT is tempting alright - I've looked at a few on Donedeal now that I really like... especially as something for just local driving, I wouldn't imagine they are great for longer distance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

1 word. Tax

Yeah, like I said, I know it's got an enormous engine. Works out at just under €33 p/w to tax it.

Advertisement