Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

ianuss wrote: »
    Yeah, like I said, I know it's got an enormous engine. Works out at just under €33 p/w to tax it.

Fck, my A4 was about 200 a year to tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah, like I said, I know it's got an enormous engine. Works out at just under €33 p/w to tax it.

Holy car tax ripoff, Batman! You could buy a lot of throws and cushions for that type of money.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

It's a bloody dream for long distance mate! I had to go to westport to buy my car and it demolished a 4 hour journey home with ease. I took a 'quick spin' up to Carlingford last night just to see a friend - total spur of the moment but it was a lovely drive, very comfy. I'm just missing tunes but I'm getting that sorted asap.

Happy to let you have a drive of it any time Scuba

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Zascar wrote: »
    It's a bloody dream for long distance mate! I had to go to westport to buy my car and it demolished a 4 hour journey home with ease. I took a 'quick spin' up to Carlingford last night just to see a friend - total spur of the moment but it was a lovely drive, very comfy. I'm just missing tunes but I'm getting that sorted asap.

Happy to let you have a drive of it any time Scuba

Even more tempted now... are they not only 2 seater though? I struggle to see back seats in this... nice though!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4129053

Thanks for the offer of a spin, might just do that actually!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

The convertible only has 2 seats, no back seats at all. Mine has back seats, I'll try to take a pic for you. Avoid convertible, if you get slashed you'll cry with the price of repair. They already have a hairdresser reputation (not that I give a fuk) but in reality the 225bhp coupe is the man's version. I called loads and they were all men who owned them.

Before this I was thinking of a Cooper S like you had mentioned. They are bloody brilliant cars to drive, fantastic fun, and similar in how they are cool, fun, with a bit of luxury and refinement. But really you need the S as the normal one is the girls version haha.

With the TT's try to look for an original one, you see a lot that are knackered up.
    Also avoid the 1999-2000 as they had some teething problems that I'm told were gone by 2001

This is savage value: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4153529

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

They're both girls cars...

(after years of driving 'girls' cars, I finally have a proper mans car - an estate, and am fairly comfortable up here on my pedestal!)

Pull you're trousers up over your belly button there joker! Now that you're a family man with a sensible & safe vehicle, you need the appropriate attire. Slippers and a smoking jacket while you're at it. :p

Me and Scuba will hang on to our youth with girls cars instead! :pac:

We have a Citreon Picasso. I pretend I'm driving a mini-bus when I go out in it because that's what real men do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I disagree. If you're not doing the mileage then you'll struggle to make back the premium you'll pay for a diesel. Indeed with more modern diesels with dual mass flywheels and diesel particle filters and EGR valves, if you're doing mostly short or slow trips you'll be more likely to wind up with trouble.

I don't do much mileage either so fuel consumption isn't really a concern for me. I do wince when I see the MPG I get (2.2 petrol) but realistically if I switched to diesel or a smaller petrol engine it would mean putting €40 in every three weeks, instead of every two. The road tax is the killer for me. I might look at changing the car next year but if money allows it will likely be to a >'08 (emissions based tax) medium sized petrol engine.

€5k buys a lot of car these days but you need to know what your priorities are. Unless your kids are paraplegic, forget about the TT. I honestly don't know why they even put back seats into them! The Mini is a cracking little car and pretty easy on petrol and tax. If you're coming from an Audi then forget about the Focus. The cheap plastic interior will make you hate it every time you sit into it. The Mondeo is a fine car, and one I'd consider myself but seem to hold their value a bit too well, meaning your budget aims you towards older or higher mileage cars.

My brother is a car dealer so you could give him a shout and see if he has anything in or due in that might suit you. If you have anything specific in mind he might know of one in stock in one of the wholesalers (yes, there is such a thing). Darragh is his name.
    http://www.templeoguecarsales.ie/

If you're not sure yet if you'll be doing your own thing or taking another job elsewhere I'd be inclined to buy something cheap and depreciation proof like a Micra, Clio, Fiesta etc. until the picture becomes clearer. If you end up with a longer commute in the future then diesel might make more sense and you won't lose anything selling on a 8-10 year old 1.0 - 1.3 runaround after a few months.

Phew, I need a rest after that flurry of activity…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭francois

I've a citroen c5 and its great-solid, roomy and little trouble to be honest-hefty enough tax as it is 01 but looking to get a newer model or an equivalent, so any ideas?-learnt to drive in it as well, which was a bit daunting at first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

A recording from the recent Banter talk in TP;

http://www.mixcloud.com/banter/banter-no6-old-school-vs-new-school/

I don't think this was all that recent actually. Maybe Francois can let us know when it was?

I don't think this was all that recent actually. Maybe Francois can let us know when it was?

2 years last october IIRC

Listened to the first half hour. Great bit of, eh, banter.

I went to a few of those Banter talks they were very good!

Actually listening to it now, I was at that one! Myself and Scuba went and met you afterwards!

Zascar wrote: »
    Actually listening to it now, I was at that one! Myself and Scuba went and met you afterwards!

I think he has edited out the more fruity revelations though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Listening at the minute, good laugh alright.

francois wrote: »
    I think he has edited out the more fruity revelations though

Like Johnny Moy being a geebag? That's still in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Like Johnny Moy being a geebag?

But that's an irrefutable fact

Speaking of Johnny, Ian, can you remember why you resurrected this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157432&page=2

Speaking of Johnny, Ian, can you remember why you resurrected this thread?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157432&page=2

Yeah, I thanked that comment and haven't a clue why now

I think the lad who 'resurrected' the thread had done so on Good Friday or Easter Sunday.

The blagging of Charlton Heston at 6.35 is feckin priceless

francois wrote: »
    The blagging of Charlton Heston at 6.35 is feckin priceless

Used to love Dennis Pennis. What's the story with the end of that clip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Paul Kaye's great in It's all gone Pete Tong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Clanket wrote: »
    Paul Kaye's great in It's all gone Pete Tong

Not as good as he is in Strutter!! Unreal show.

since it's off topic, here's a preview of a 12 inch i'm working on....
    http://soundcloud.com/bawdcaster/theo-politik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

jtsuited wrote: »
    Not as good as he is in Strutter!! Unreal show.

Only seen a few bits of it - The Strutter ball was hilarious.

Nice track.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BetterCallSaul

jtsuited wrote: »

Really like the first track.

Where is the sample from?

Advertisement