Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »
    .....can't say the same for Bostonians though!
    yup. man, boston was an eye opener. I was 14 the first time I went there, blissful in my concept of the Irish Americans as upstanding liberal members of society who had overcome great obstacles.

What I found was an ethnic group more known for their corruption and propensity for violence (the most wanted man in the world at the time was the head of the Irish Mafia), drunkenness, laziness, racism and criminal ways.

Saw a Continuity IRA fundraiser openly advertised in a pub, and learnt the truth pretty soon about our romanticised and frankly wildly inaccurate picture of the American Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

jtsuited wrote: »
    our romanticised and frankly wildly inaccurate picture of the American Irish.

cracking movie you must see is this,

Millers crossing

One of gabriel byrnes best movie if not his best, notably lacking in romanticism.

cracking movie you must see is this,

Millers crossing

One of gabriel byrnes best movie if not his best, notably lacking in romanticism.

one of my favourite movies ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Saw a Continuity IRA fundraiser openly advertised in a pub,
    That wasnt exclusive to boston either though.Anywhere there was an irish community these fundraisers were advertised.

Colly definitely do San Fran.If you were going in a time where the weather conditions were more extreme(really hot or freezing cold) id recommend stopping at Lake Tahoe,it would be on the drive out of Las Vegas exactly on the Nevada/california border.the lake is incredible in the summer(real americana **** going on there) and the snowboarding is ridiculous in the winter.
    Its my favourite place in America but i cant comment on what it would be like in the Autunm.But if its on the way definitely stop over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Saw a Continuity IRA fundraiser openly advertised in a pub, and learnt the truth pretty soon about our romanticised and frankly wildly inaccurate picture of the American Irish.

You could put this down to the nutjobs here (contos / reals) taking advantage of the diaspora's willingness / good nature (notice the irony) to do something for the 'cause'. Over the years, it has always been a kind of duty for Irish-Americans to give something back and in this case - help in the struggle. Just look at how successful NORAID was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

In my limited experience of the states, the people are widely diverse intellectually based on geography. Tbf, the northeast is a world away from the rest of the country when it comes to attitudes etc.

Yup, the correlation between political allegiance and illiberalism is striking.

PurpleNation.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

For our honeymoon (all those years ago) we flew in to LA, stayed a few days in Santa Monica. Completely vacuous place but exactly what was needed after the bedlam of the wedding. Couldn't give a toss about culture or how clever and enlightened the people were, but the weather and the laid back nature of the place were perfect for our purposes. Venice beach is only a stone's throw away and is a bit more hip/bohemian. Spend a day on a bus tour to see star's houses, Hollywood sign, Mann's theatre etc. Two or three days there is plenty though.

From there we rented a car and drove up to San Fran. Amazing drive along Route 1 all along the coast. Bring your own music! For a few hours of the drive along the Big Sur coast you have the Pacific out your left window and sheer cliffs out your right and no radio reception. Spooky quiet and possibly about as tranquil as you can get while driving a car. We stopped over in Monterey for a night, had a great Indian meal (think curries, not teepees) and took a walk around the harbour before setting off again.

We ditched the car in SF, cable cars and taxis are plentiful and driving is a pain and parking is expensive. The biggest mistake we made was staying at Fisherman's Wharf. A tourist trap kip! It's like Bray crashed into Temple Bar. I can't tell you where you should stay, just not there. If you like your grub smelly, don't leave SF without having a meal at the Stinking Rose restaurant. Everything is made of garlic, including the wine and the ice cream if you're brave enough. I'd definitely go back to San Fran before LA.

We flew from SF to Vegas but I believe if you have the time, and buns of steel, the 12 hour drive is worth it for the scenery in Yosemite alone. I don't need to tell you anything about Vegas, it's everything you have seen and heard and everyone should go once in their lives. We're starting to talk about going back for our 10th anniversary.

I envy you planning your trip. Yes the place is full of Yanks but I wonder about some of the posters here. Do they go on holidays to enjoy themselves and see a bit more of the world, or to play chess and join debating societies?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Nice post milltown. I've not done that trip yet but you've sold it well. Cheers.

milltown wrote: »
    If you like your grub smelly, don't leave SF without having a meal at the Stinking Rose restaurant. Everything is made of garlic, including the wine and the ice cream if you're brave enough.
    yes highly recommend this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Yeah, absolutely amazing place. Was there for the first time last year and it was one of the best holidays I've ever been on. So much to see and do. And the people were extremely friendly.....can't say the same for Bostonians though!

Boston is a superb city and the people there the friendliest ive come across on my travels, they love Irish (maybe a bit too much some might say lol) im surprised you met some rude people there but then again there's people like that no matter where you go.

• Advertisement

Lads bit of a strange one here but im restoring an old bicycle for me mammy:)

has anyone ever gotten a bicylcle frame sprayed professionally.an estimatation of cost involved would be nice if anyone has done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

seannash wrote: »

has anyone ever gotten a bicylcle frame sprayed professionally.an estimatation of cost involved would be nice if anyone has done it.

More expensive than you'd think, but doing it yourself means messing with pretty dangerous chemicals. Depending on colours etc, I think somewhere between €50 and €150. Check out Rothar.ie, great place for that kind of thing, shop's in Phibsboro.

More expensive than you'd think, but doing it yourself means messing with pretty dangerous chemicals. Depending on colours etc, I think somewhere between €50 and €150. Check out Rothar.ie, great place for that kind of thing, shop's in Phibsboro.
    yeah its not going to be anything fancy really but id want it done right.

i dont suppose you would know how much it would cost to chrome some parts too like the handlebars.
    its a real old bike and the brakes levers on it are really unique so id like to get em done too.doesnt have to be chrome but i think tbhat describes the sort of finish id want on them

ill check out that site too,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sean there's two types of spray jobs, one is the standard type the way a car is painted, primer, top coat, lacquer. And the other one is powder painting, which is the way you spray difficult shaped objects like bikes so therefore the way they it professionally. You prep the bike and then run a small electrical charge through the frame that positively charges it and then it gets spray with electrically charged dry powder paint that sticks to the frame. This then gets baked in an oven.

The biggest cost for both methods, and with all painting for that matter, is the prep work. If you were willing to do this yourself you'd save a lot on cost.

Of course, you could just head over to B&Q and pick up a of tin of paint and a paint brush and do it yourself. :) mightn't look great though.

Sean there's two types of spray jobs, one is the standard type the way a car is painted, primer, top coat, lacquer. And the other one is powder painting, which is the way you spray difficult shaped objects like bikes so therefore the way they it professionally. You prep the bike and then run a small electrical charge through the frame that positively charges it and then it gets spray with electrically charged dry powder paint that sticks to the frame. This then gets baked in an oven.

The biggest cost for both methods, and with all painting for that matter, is the prep work. If you were willing to do this yourself you'd save a lot on cost.

Of course, you could just head over to B&Q and pick up a of tin of paint and a paint brush and do it yourself. :) mightn't look great though.
    yeah i figured that powdercoating might be a bit extreme.It basically has to be like a metalic bright red you would see on a car so id probably ask a mechanic.
    i thought the mechanic would have to sandblast(or beadblast) to remover the old paint so im not sure what other work i would need to do.

Ive completely dismantled the bike so its just the frame left.

dont suppose you know anything about chroming or whatever the equivalent would be to getting a silver finish

the cycling forum doesnt appear to be any use

And the other one is powder painting, which is the way you spray difficult shaped objects like bikes so therefore the way they it professionally. You prep the bike and then run a small electrical charge through the frame that positively charges it and then it gets spray with electrically charged dry powder paint that sticks to the frame. This then gets baked in an oven.

Sean, not sure where you are based but instead of going to a garage that would powder coat if for ya at a major cost, if you find a factory that makes steel furniture (beds & such) & do a little asking using the recession speel it wouldnt cost them anything really to add it to the production line & they might do it for ya for nowt.
    I actually used to do this years ago out in clonskeagh but the place has long since closed (only just strted going to the OLYMPIC then actually and used to spend the week in a trance thinking about how amazing it was).
    You would have to strip the frame completley of course then remove all exisiting paint & laquer with nitromors or similar & then if you got them to agree to do it for ya its as simple as them hanging it on the production line with the hundreds of other pieces passing through. You would obviously have a limited colour range that you could opt for that they use in their process but hey i would imagine you should be able to get this for free or very little money.

I may be totally wide of the mark on this & apologies in advance if i am but do you partake in any narcotic recreation?? Just a tad of irony that you would be overly concerned about the use of dangerous chemicals for spray painting when you willingly ingest them without really knowing what you are ingesting:D

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Boston is a superb city and the people there the friendliest ive come across on my travels, they love Irish (maybe a bit too much some might say lol) im surprised you met some rude people there but then again there's people like that no matter where you go.
    Ah sure you were probably off yer mallet so were on a love buzz! ;)

Seriously though, a group of us went over a good few years ago and the general vibe I got off the people there was one of rudeness, which was a pity because it was my first time America and I thought I'd be flavour of the month being Irish (even have family that have lived there for years) but most people didn't give a rats.

Probably didn't help that the hotel we were staying in was hosting some international seafood conference and the fairly swish hotel stank of fish for the whole weekend. AND I experienced serious jetlag for the first time... probably all those things put together contributed to a less than perfect experience. The Dropkick Murphys were great though!

yeah i figured that powdercoating might be a bit extreme.It basically has to be like a metalic bright red you would see on a car so id probably ask a mechanic.
    Not that difficult to do for most spray shops to do as they'd have the colours. Metallic paint is pretty much the norm nowadays.

i thought the mechanic would have to sandblast(or beadblast) to remover the old paint so im not sure what other work i would need to do.

Ive completely dismantled the bike so its just the frame left.
    Very few places would have the set up to do sandblasting as they would generally just sand down the panels on a car and then paint over it. That's why I said a lot of places would be reluctant to do the prep work for you as it's so time consuming. And by prep, I mean sanding it down so the new paint would take. Very fiddly work on a bike frame. I suppose you could get it chemically dipped to remove the paint, I've seen it done with old doors and window frames but wouldn't have a clue where you'd get it done for a bike frame.

A friend of mine has a small spray shop, and I mean small, you won't a rides being pimped down his way fo shizzle. But he has down small things like bikes and motorbikes as favours for people but always complains that it takes too long with too much effort for what he gets paid for doing them.

If you know someone with a garage they could certainly sort you out handily enough.

You could try Mise's suggestion but the colours would be very limited, and I'd be very surprised if you were able to get anything metallic.

dont suppose you know anything about chroming or whatever the equivalent would be to getting a silver finish
    A silver paint finish would look terrible. Getting it chromed would be your best bet, although afaik it's a pretty involved process where the surface is stripped of the old finish and then hot dipped in molten metal.

Your best bet for a contact would be any websites that deal with doing up old cars as they would need the old rusted trims/bumpers re-chromed.

Seriously though, a group of us went over a good few years ago and the general vibe I got off the people there was one of rudeness, which was a pity because it was my first time America and I thought I'd be flavour of the month being Irish (even have family that have lived there for years) but most people didn't give a rats.

Probably didn't help that the hotel we were staying in was hosting some international seafood conference and the fairly swish hotel stank of fish for the whole weekend. AND I experienced serious jetlag for the first time... probably all those things put together contributed to a less than perfect experience. The Dropkick Murphys were great though!

Not that difficult to do for most spray shops to do as they'd have the colours. Metallic paint is pretty much the norm nowadays.

Very few places would have the set up to do sandblasting as they would generally just sand down the panels on a car and then paint over it. That's why I said a lot of places would be reluctant to do the prep work for you as it's so time consuming. And by prep, I mean sanding it down so the new paint would take. Very fiddly work on a bike frame. I suppose you could get it chemically dipped to remove the paint, I've seen it done with old doors and window frames but wouldn't have a clue where you'd get it done for a bike frame.

A friend of mine has a small spray shop, and I mean small, you won't a rides being pimped down his way fo shizzle. But he has down small things like bikes and motorbikes as favours for people but always complains that it takes too long with too much effort for what he gets paid for doing them.

If you know someone with a garage they could certainly sort you out handily enough.

You could try Mise's suggestion but the colours would be very limited, and I'd be very surprised if you were able to get anything metallic.

A silver paint finish would look terrible. Getting it chromed would be your best bet, although afaik it's a pretty involved process where the surface is stripped of the old finish and then hot dipped in molten metal.

Your best bet for a contact would be any websites that deal with doing up old cars as they would need the old rusted trims/bumpers re-chromed.
    Cheers Bazmo and Mise.ill have a ring round today and get some prices.
    guess itll keep me busy for a bit

Cheers Bazmo and Mise.ill have a ring round today and get some prices.
    guess itll keep me busy for a bit

Just another thought.....not sure if they even do chroming in there but Galco might do it on the ballymount road, also there seems to be a 'Tallaght powder coating' according to this forum.

http://www.torque-irl.com/showthread.php?t=8341

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Just another thought.....not sure if they even do chroming in there but Galco might do it on the ballymount road, also there seems to be a 'Tallaght powder coating' according to this forum.

http://www.torque-irl.com/showthread.php?t=8341

Tallaght powder coating? Is that not just slang for doing charlie?

'Where's Anto?'
    'Ah, he's just in the jacks for a spot of Tallaght powder coating…'

• Advertisement

Haha. "Tallaght Powder Coating" :D:D

Unfortunately lads im in Louth so id be looking a bit more local.:)
    Thanks anyway

I'd imagine Anto would drop an 8 ball of Tallaght Powder Coating up to Louth if you wanted :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

http://www.youtube.com/user/4oDComedy

The best invention since youtube. ALL the Channel 4 comedy shows streamed; I'd highly HIGHLY recommend Nathan Barley; the most underrated show since Spaced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

No persian rugs for me in Boston at all wasnt for the want of trying, cant wait to go back sometime.

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/user/4oDComedy

The best invention since youtube. ALL the Channel 4 comedy shows streamed; I'd highly HIGHLY recommend Nathan Barley; the most underrated show since Spaced

yeah it's quality. soooooooo strangely accurate.

News this morning,

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/man-attempts-to-ram-gates-of-leinster-house-475554.html

I have to say it was reckless alright but after reading last weekends newspapers lets put it into context,

Article in last weekends paper reporst that a man of 32, Husband, recent father to twins hung himself after saying he can no longer take the pressure of the abuse he is receiving from the public as an employee of Anglo Irish bank.

Lets hope this is a wake up call to the wan.kers that have indebted this country for the next 20 years to line the pockets of the "International financial community"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Fair balls to him. About time direct action was used to show those fcukers how they are ruining this country.

To put it into context, read this article by David McWilliams (can't stand him) the opening of the article is quite scary in relation to Ireland and Iceland.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2010/09/27/recovery-is-going-to-be-local?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Davidmcwilliams+%28DavidMcWilliams.ie%29

Yesterday the cost of long term borrowing rose to 6.9%. We are fooked!

It breaks my heart that my kids who are still in school will also have to pay for the greed of this government. :mad:

crikey, I need some chill music after that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Weird Scientist

eh was he a dj pissed off by the lack of paying gigs around or just an electronic techno music fan who finally had enough of the Tripod and wanted to be heard....??

NO?

Welll then why the f**k is it in this thread?

Advertisement