Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

jtsuited wrote: »
    haha, I'd say so.

It's a funny one round my area. There are a couple of guys (about 2 teams of 5) that are at every table quiz going and they are damn good at it. I was once on their table and didn't contribute 1 unique answer.

The really depressing thing is that the guys are total alcoholics and at least half of them are terminally unemployable. The amazing thing is a good few of them are technologically illiterate so everything they know, they have learnt outside the internet. Can you imagine what they'd be like if they were our wiki-devouring generation?

There's a great little essay on that sort of thing in one of Bill Bryson's books talking about the difference between the University Challenge UK and US teams - basically the UK team would make it look like Cherry Orchard Vs. Chelsea but the US team would go on to be CEOs and multimillionaires whereas the UK team would end up growing beards and studying medieval madrigals in some arse-end of Cornwall with holes in their jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The really depressing thing is that the guys are total alcoholics and at least half of them are terminally unemployable. The amazing thing is a good few of them are technologically illiterate so everything they know, they have learnt outside the internet. Can you imagine what they'd be like if they were our wiki-devouring generation?
    I'm not that convinced that the likes of Wiki has added that much to the general knowledge of the yuuff. If anything, you could argue that because of the availability of the likes of Wiki, people don't really need to know as much when it comes to general knowledge as they just need to google something to find out about it. Documentaries, books, newspapers, and just generally having an interest in things is the biggest factor. Look at the amount of "computer literate" kids out there that still can't fvcking spell when typing on a computer, and also haven't a fvcking clue what's going on in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah that's true. and I knew far more about the world before the internet I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    There's a great little essay on that sort of thing in one of Bill Bryson's books talking about the difference between the University Challenge UK and US teams - basically the UK team would make it look like Cherry Orchard Vs. Chelsea but the US team would go on to be CEOs and multimillionaires whereas the UK team would end up growing beards and studying medieval madrigals in some arse-end of Cornwall with holes in their jumpers.

That says a lot of about cultural differences between the US and UK in terms of the pursuit of knowledge and I think we as a nation fall somewhere in the middle. In England there still some respect for the pursuit of knowledge for the love of it and in America there needs to be some end result to that pursuit of knowledge. We seemed to be drawing closer and closer to the American ideal which is a bit sh1t.

I like knowing things for the sake of it, not how it will benefit me.

That says a lot of about cultural differences between the US and UK in terms of the pursuit of knowledge and I think we as a nation fall somewhere in the middle. In England there still some respect for the pursuit of knowledge for the love of it and in America there needs to be some end result to that pursuit of knowledge. We seemed to be drawing closer and closer to the American ideal which is a bit sh1t.

it's a weird one, the American thing. I was in Harvard when I was 14 (my sister went to college there) for a week, and the American students thought I was like some sort of Stephen Fry.

Now granted I'm above average (barely) when it comes to general knowledge, but in Ireland, you'll have someone who can normally better you or tell you something you didn't know, whereas over there, they're so not used to it that they become totally perplexed by knowledge that isn't taught in a formal environment.

The English have a great tradition of fact retention (evidenced by the popularity of someone like Stephen Fry), and it seems to be embedded in the national conciousness, but in Ireland as you say, it could go either way right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I'm not that convinced that the likes of Wiki has added that much to the general knowledge of the yuuff. If anything, you could argue that because of the availability of the likes of Wiki, people don't really need to know as much when it comes to general knowledge as they just need to google something to find out about it. Documentaries, books, newspapers, and just generally having an interest in things is the biggest factor.
    I've learnt **** all from Wiki considering the amount of time I've spent on it. Potentially it's a great tool, but it's just too vast and the potential for distraction proves too much for me. You'd start out on a topic of interest, but end up clicking on link after link and go further down the rabbit hole till you're reading about farming techniques in central Europe at the start of the 17th century.

I have a theory on that actually......in the US, bright people are a rarity and so are treasured and put into leadership positions by other people (which is human nature).
    In Britain, the class structure is so rigid. Nearly all the captains of industry and politicians went to the same schools and are definitively the 'ruling class'. It's so difficult to get into those old boys clubs.

In America, because of the primary investment structure, rich people invest in bright people to make them money. It is one of the good arguments for capitalism imo.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I've learnt **** all from Wiki considering the amount of time I've spent on it. Potentially it's a great tool, but it's just too vast and the potential for distraction proves too much for me. You'd start out on a topic of interest, but end up clicking on link after link and go further down the rabbit hole till you're reading about farming techniques in central Europe at the start of the 17th century.

hey nothing wrong with knowing pre-industrial revolution agricultural practices. The seed drill came up in a discussion here about laptop djing once. Now granted I was the one who brought it up, and it really didn't prove any points, but it still came up!

hey nothing wrong with knowing pre-industrial revolution agricultural practices. The seed drill came up in a discussion here about laptop djing once. Now granted I was the one who brought it up, and it really didn't prove any points, but it still came up!

You were waiting years to bring up that nugget of information weren't you:

DJ: I'm trying to figure out a way of broadcasting my mixes from my laptop.

JT: Before the introduction of the seed drill, the common practice was to "broadcast" seeds by hand.

DJ: ????

I have a theory on that actually......in the US, bright people are a rarity and so are treasured and put into leadership positions by other people (which is human nature).

There's a bit of that, but then you have to look at the upper echelons of either industry or politics and count the amount of Skull and Bones members etc... In fact, purely by the cost of the Ivy Leagues there's a lot of barriers to entry that are negated only by nepotism and old money.
    In America, because of the primary investment structure, rich people invest in bright people to make them money. It is one of the good arguments for capitalism imo.

Well there's some of that, but I still reckon that this is the more common result

The ruling/financial elite don't exactly want to lose their throne by virtue of their own endeavours.

It's only esquire magazine level journalism, but Malcolm Gladwell's ''Outliers'' is a superb read purely for the stories about the original Silicon Valley and turn of the century Eastern European entrepeneurs and why exactly the succeeded. If you subscribe to his school of thought you'll see how many diverse mitigating factors are responsible for success under the American model - without being trite, being bright and motivated helps but it has as much to do with upbringing and being in the right place at the right time as anything else.

• Advertisement

oh don't get me wrong, America has the most grossly unfair system when it comes to education and money.
    I was merely explaining why when we compare the UK to the US, we see too many really bright guys in holey jumpers studying medieval history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

oh don't get me wrong, America has the most grossly unfair system when it comes to education and money.
    I was merely explaining why when we compare the UK to the US, we see too many really bright guys in holey jumpers studying medieval history.

I'm studying Medieval History in Trinity, shurrup or I'll lance ye.

I see a bright future in my crystal ball…

crystalball_427x318.jpg

;)

Reminds me of the old joke.......

How do you know somebody is studying in Trinity?

I think you can guess the rest... ;)

Talking about social philosophy, Hardy Bucks is kicking off on RTE tonight at 10.55 -literally can't wait

(One of my favourite scenes; no need to have seen any of it before to appreciate it. Think Trailer Park Boys set in the arse end of Mayo)

''You were rared on the fox's milk, I can tell by the gimp of ya''

''There's nothing better I like than being basted in gravy''

One of my favourite Hardy Bucks quotes is "You still have your communion money ya ****". Can't remember which episode it's from.

One of my favourite Hardy Bucks quotes is "You still have your communion money ya ****". Can't remember which episode it's from.

I'm sorry but is that the level of comedy in it? Its not exactly an unknown saying.

I really hate that bog 'comedy'

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads does anyone know how to download videos from myspace? Wrecking my head here... I;ve tried Orbit and Video Downloer Chrome plugin, neither work

Zascar wrote: »
    Lads does anyone know how to download videos from myspace? Wrecking my head here... I;ve tried Orbit and Video Downloer Chrome plugin, neither work

Have you tried checking the source for the original URL of the video? Myspace is very simple HTML, so I'd say you'll be able to find it. That might help.

Ask in the Asylum thread, I've heard it mentioned a couple of times there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I'm sorry but is that the level of comedy in it? Its not exactly an unknown saying.

Nope, not whatsoever. The communion money joke is as old as the hills, one renowned throughout the country.

Bog comedy? Well if you're from Dublin you'll struggle to laugh at any comedy outside of Dublin. Hence why the likes of Rubberbandits are more or less unknown in Dublin while such 'please shoot me in the head' comedy like that **** Brendan O'Carroll is popular in Dublin, and has been for decades.

Maybe im too young to make a proper judgement on Irish humour, but from what I can see - after living in Dublin for three years, Dubs have their own humour, and little understanding or no understanding of that outside of the M50.

I apologise for making some sweeping generalisations, but that's my opinion - and experience.

Watch it and decide yourself rather than dismissing it completely. Comedy is a subjective thing but its an incredible indie production all the same.

yeah to be fair, some of Hardy Bucks was hilarious and acutely observant and some of it was just fcuking dire, which is always gonna happen when it's amateurs involved. Thing is, I think there's genuine comedic talent there so now it's just a question of whether RTE has developed it.

don't know where to put it so here's some music journalism that I've done....

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/2731

http://www.ibiza-voice.com/story/news/2714

oh my god, RTE have made a comedy that's actually........good. speechless!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

This is the handiest bit of freeware that kick seven shades of sh.it out of a lot of paying software, besides being able to convert anything into almost anything else you can paste in the web address of any streaming media & it will save it to yer PC, link is the homepage with link to follow at the bottom of the page to another page & you will get the download link then on the third page i think, anyway this is the handiest bit of free kit you will ever get,

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

Bog comedy? Well if you're from Dublin you'll struggle to laugh at any comedy outside of Dublin. Hence why the likes of Rubberbandits are more or less unknown in Dublin while such 'please shoot me in the head' comedy like that **** Brendan O'Carroll is popular in Dublin, and has been for decades.

So i take it you dont like brendan O'Carroll so.
    Maybe im too young to make a proper judgement on Irish humour, but from what I can see - after living in Dublin for three years, Dubs have their own humour, and little understanding or no understanding of that outside of the M50.

I apologise for making some sweeping generalisations, but that's my opinion - and experience.

Maybe your not sure you can make a judgement on irish humour so lets imply all dubs are narrow minded & tunnel visioned.... now thats ironic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

So i take it you dont like brendan O'Carroll so.

Exactly

Maybe your not sure you can make a judgement on irish humour so lets imply all dubs are narrow minded & tunnel visioned.... now thats ironic.

Well who was the person who posited 'bog' humour? Im only commenting on what was said. but in terms of dubs being narrow minded, I remember as a youngster laughing at a person who said 'dubs down the country are like yanks in a leprechaun colony'... Now you might laugh at that as it has its own merit from either perspective, but lets take the relativist standpoint on this one

Just spent the evening burning CDs. Burnt #38 CDs with printed tracklists. Only reason I stopped is because I ran out of CDs...Head is in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

but lets take the relativist standpoint on this one

I could ask for the normative relativist standpoint be taken as the best for all concerned but that may be contradictory to your original posting as you seem ready to sit in moral judgement of dublin folk,
    Well if you're from Dublin you'll struggle to laugh at any comedy outside of Dublin. Hence why the likes of Rubberbandits are more or less unknown in Dublin while such 'please shoot me in the head' comedy like that **** Brendan O'Carroll is popular in Dublin, and has been for decades.

• Advertisement

Bog comedy?
    Yeah Bog Comedy. Comedy that is so Country-centric that it’s only funny if you’re from the country. Killinaskully, Katherine Lynch, Hardy Bucks, etc.

Well if you're from Dublin you'll struggle to laugh at any comedy outside of Dublin. Hence why the likes of Rubberbandits are more or less unknown in Dublin while such 'please shoot me in the head' comedy like that **** Brendan O'Carroll is popular in Dublin, and has been for decades.
    Brendan O’Carroll is popular?

Maybe you are too young, I dunno, you’ll have to make that call yourself, but that said, it is a huge generalisation to say that all Dubs have little or no understanding of anything outside of the M50. Personally I don’t even live inside the M50. And comedy wise there are plenty of great comedians that hail from outside of Dublin. I just hate that real bog stuff.

No need to apologise, you’re young and you’ve a lot to learn young Skywalker.

You’re entitled to your opinions based on your experiences. Just like my opinion is that all country people live on a farm, love their spuds, bacon, red lemonade and tayto. And in my experience all country people hate people from Dublin but yet have no problem living here.

Watch it and decide yourself rather than dismissing it completely. Comedy is a subjective thing but its an incredible indie production all the same.
    I did watch it last night but didn’t think it was great.

Indie? Was it not made by RTE?

Advertisement